Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrian0883

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
USA
While I was working on making a hackintosh machine with my desktop I got my hands on an old mac mini from 2007. It was thrown out and I want to see what I can do with it.

This one:

I upgraded the 80GB HDD to a 320GB HDD that I had in my stash and the ram from 2GB to 4GB, but I wanted to know if there is a way to go past macOS 10.7 Lion. I see there's a lot of patchers, but I have NO clue as to which one I need for my system. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Sidenote: This is a project. It's not a necessity. My Xeon workstation will still be my main system. I just want to play with this thing and learn macOS in the process.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
@wicknix I don't personally recommend using MacPostFactor as there is no hardware acceleration. NexPostFacto is the better option in this case.

NexPostFacto 10.8 32-bit is the higher you can go on a 2007 mini. The Merom CPU and GMA 950 are too old to run the dosdude1 and OpenCore patchers, since they need 64-bit firmware, which the 2007 mini doesn't have.
There is no way to hack a 64-bit EFI onto a 2007, it's a hardware limitation and you could brick the Mac in the process.

Both of those patchers can take a supported Mac up to modern macOS versions (Catalina for dd1, Ventura for OC), but the oldest Mac mini they support is the 2009 mini, which has a 64-bit EFI and a decent GPU (GeForce 9400M).

Sidenote, the GMA 950 is not (and wasn't when it was new) a good video chip by any stretch of the word. I would personally stick with Snow Leopard (10.6), which not only is much faster than 10.7 and 10.8, but also is way more reliable (in my opinion) and supports PowerPC apps with Rosetta. You can run Chromium Legacy (which is the newest Early Intel Mac browser) on 10.7 Lion, however performance on practically any modern website will be abysmal thanks to the GMA 950.

adrian0883

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
USA
I see that the upgrade is not worth it with my hardware so I will avoid it, but do I need to downgrade my OS? I installed 10.7 from the start. Would 10.6 be a better option and where can I obtain it?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The Merom CPU and GMA 950 are too old to run the dosdude1 and OpenCore patchers, since they need 64-bit firmware, which the 2007 mini doesn't have.
There is no way to hack a 64-bit EFI onto a 2007, it's a hardware limitation and you could brick the Mac in the process.
An even bigger roadblock is the lack of SSE4 instructions which Sierra and later versions require and which can't be overcome.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Don't bother. I patched Catalina onto my 2011 Mac Mini and it was constantly overheating even when idle. I downgraded it back to High Sierra and it runs like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.