Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Dell 2001FP (ancient 20 inch 1,200 x 1,600).
Lordy, back in the day I had about a dozen of those at the business I owned. Several came home with me after we shut it down, I used them until they died, one at a time. Last one gave it up perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. It was a nice display, really!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Lordy, back in the day I had about a dozen of those at the business I owned. Several came home with me after we shut it down, I used them until they died, one at a time. Last one gave it up perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. It was a nice display, really!

I had to replace the PSU about 8 years ago but it still works just fine.

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
Very happy with this. 32"
D-01_v1.jpg

Reactions: mr_jomo

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I'm using a Dell U4021QW (5120x2160) with my M2 mini and I'm quite happy with it. No scaling, just native resolution.
Productivity increased a lot, specially using XCode as you can put 3 simultaneous code windows opened. Having 2160 vertical is nice for coding and allows you to have six 1080p sized windows simultaneously on the same desktop.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
55" LG OLED TV and Benq 32" monitor.

I've had the same kind of setup for many years now, w/variations.
I have my living room built around my screens, my speakers and my mixing desk.
(I live alone, in a fairly large house.)
Everything goes thru my Mac Mini. Music/mixing work, photo work, and entertainment.

I can see and control the mac from almost the whole room because of the 55", and I can sit close to the 32" when I require more fine control. (The 32" is also color calibrated.) And I can browse the internet or watch a movie on the 55" from my comfy chair.

The 55" is set to 1600x900 and it's easy to read text and such from meters away. The 32" is also 1600x900, I think it works fine, like with Photoshop/Lightroom in fullscreen. Also having the same resolution on them both makes for more smooth flow with switching screens and spaces.

IMG_0013.JPG

Photo not updated since a while back.

Last edited:

neuyorican

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
So I recently needed to replace my Late 2015 27" iMac 5K. I have the good fortune that I have a good friend working for Apple who, not only gives me good advice but also, uses his employee discounts for me. I have had iMac's since the beginning (started when you could still get a G3 clone) for all kinds of design work using Adobe's software. I've always loved the looks, feel and great usability. I've also always had a Mac laptop (starting with a iBook) and a Mac Display when available (starting with a Studio Display).

So back to finding an alternative for the iMac 27"5K.... I didn't want to go back to a 24" iMac and making a long story short I came at the place of... hey a mini would be great (I worked with mini's around '05/'06 and they were pretty handy).

I do a lot of Still photography (DSLR) and design work in Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom etc... Of course I do the boring stuff like word, excel etc... But having good photo viewing is important and I did not want to shell out for an Apple screen since I just had to do an enormous investment in my own business (that is not design related but hospitality) and so cash is just limited.

Ok... so on my quest for good alternatives for storage and display I found that the display one caused a lot of stress of "making the right choice".

Storage was easier... I tried a SanDisk Extreme PRO, which failed terribly and returned it and did the "make your own" with a Acasis Enclosure (TBU401E) and a Samsung 980 PRO 2TB (this thing is awesome).

But the display was pretty hard to pin down.... should I stay with 27" or go up and so I looked at tons of reviews and every expert has a different opinion and of course the use is really important. I do not play games and as much as I love my 5K iMac screen I gave up on 5K pretty quick.... So I wanted at least 4K with a good true color option.

I looked at many and would try to find reviews that focused on design and still photo but also a pretty sturdy display that is not super flimsy plasticky AND it needed to work with a mini M2 no problem.

When doing some measuring I figured that a 27" would be fine and a 32" would be interesting depending on the price... again, I just did not want to spend a ton.

I came to the BenQ PD2705U 27 Inch 4K UHD IPS display... It is a solid display with amazing color accuracy and it has a full metal base which makes it really sturdy. It has additional ports and tons of good features for designers including a CAD/CAM Mode.

So I chose this Display and I'm super happy even having it right next to my 5K iMac.. But I think it is good to hear other opinions or simply other choices of displays that you all have and love. This BenQ was $500 and that was right at what I wanted to pay and what I like about having a mini is that I can always get a new display.

So what is your display and why do you like/love it or why do you dislike/hate it and how much did it cost?
I purchased the BenQ PD2705U for my Mac mini m2 pro and returned it. I kept encountering no usb-c signal every time I restarted the Mac or when powering it on. I purchased the BenQ PD2725U instead and connected via thunderbolt cable and no issues so far.

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I purchased the BenQ PD2705U for my Mac mini m2 pro and returned it. I kept encountering no usb-c signal every time I restarted the Mac or when powering it on. I purchased the BenQ PD2725U instead and connected via thunderbolt cable and no issues so far.
I have zero issues with mine

Reactions: MBAir2010

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Just replaced an old Monoprice 27" screen that my wife was still using on her M1 MBA with the AOC U32P2CA (32" 4K). Fantastic screen, easy setup and with BetterDisplay even easier to adjust. Picked it up for $160 on prime day but I think it is around $410/425 but I'm impressed with this 32" for that price.

dizzbuster

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
I went from dual U3223QE to a single U4021QW and could not be happier. I was annoyed that MacOS does not support the audio loudness adjustments using a keyboard. I have a Logitech MxKeys and had to install a third software - MonitorControl.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
ViewSonic VP3268a-4K.. Got it for cheap at work, and replaced my 28" Samsung LU28R55 (whoever decided 28" was great for 4K resolution needs to be shot). Turns out 32" is still too small of a screen to work at 4K, so its back to 2K, but hey I got 99% sRGB coverage now.

Probably swapping that out for a pair of 27" 2K/180Hz displays after the first of the year and my employee reimbursement kicks back in (used this years on the VP3268a hah).

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
ViewSonic VP3268a-4K.. Got it for cheap at work, and replaced my 28" Samsung LU28R55 (whoever decided 28" was great for 4K resolution needs to be shot). Turns out 32" is still too small of a screen to work at 4K, so its back to 2K, but hey I got 99% sRGB coverage now.

Probably swapping that out for a pair of 27" 2K/180Hz displays after the first of the year and my employee reimbursement kicks back in (used this years on the VP3268a hah).

You don’t use scaling with the 4K monitor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.