Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Ummm... wow, just got my black ds today. In a word, "amazing"

Its really entertaining, graphics are better than expected, way better than PSP atleast PSP a year ago. PSP homebrew IMO is not worth it. The only classic games I enjoy are genesis and NES which the DS can do. DS actually has great homebrew as well. DS is fantastic, I would also get a PSP, but the whole reason of buying a DS and selling my 360 was to play less video games, and if i get both, ill end up playing more. But i love my DS and my R4DS...

Thanks for the help

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT

Its really entertaining, graphics are better than expected, way better than PSP atleast PSP a year ago. PSP homebrew IMO is not worth it. The only classic games I enjoy are genesis and NES which the DS can do. DS actually has great homebrew as well. DS is fantastic, I would also get a PSP, but the whole reason of buying a DS and selling my 360 was to play less video games, and if i get both, ill end up playing more. But i love my DS and my R4DS...

Thanks for the help

I'm enjoying my new DS a lot too, although so far I'd still stick with the PSP if I could only have one of the two. That might change as I get more games for the DS. As for the DS having better graphics than the PSP, I think you're not remembering right. I don't think anyone would seriously argue that the DS is more powerful graphically than the PSP. It'd be a bit like arguing that the Wii has better graphics than the PS3...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was bowled over by the black DS Lite too. Incredibly beautiful machine, but the fingerprint issue bugged me, plus the dpad was broke so I replaced it for the white one. THEN Caroline goes and buys the black model and I'm all jealous again :D

And don't go pirating games with that R4 :p no really. Back when I had a chipped PS1 I found just piracy really sucked all the fun out of getting excited and waiting for a game. Maybe it's just me and my industry :D but have fun. always have fun.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm enjoying my new DS a lot too, although so far I'd still stick with the PSP if I could only have one of the two. That might change as I get more games for the DS. As for the DS having better graphics than the PSP, I think you're not remembering right. I don't think anyone would seriously argue that the DS is more powerful graphically than the PSP. It'd be a bit like arguing that the Wii has better graphics than the PS3...

One could make the argument that the DS Lite's screen is more vibrant/colorful, and that might fool one into thinking the graphics were better. I dunno.

But yeah, PSP graphics are far more detailed and higher res, no doubt. I just prefer my DS's library of games.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I was bowled over by the black DS Lite too. Incredibly beautiful machine, but the fingerprint issue bugged me, plus the dpad was broke so I replaced it for the white one. THEN Caroline goes and buys the black model and I'm all jealous again :D

And don't go pirating games with that R4 :p no really. Back when I had a chipped PS1 I found just piracy really sucked all the fun out of getting excited and waiting for a game. Maybe it's just me and my industry :D but have fun. always have fun.

I've been quite impressed on the state of emulation on my M3 though. And there's quite a good amount of decent homebrew out there, and videos convert well and MP3's play fine. Plenty of non-pirate stuff you can do.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
One thing that appeals to me about the PSP over the DS is just the 16:9 widescreen display. Full-screen is the suXXX000rrrrSSSS!!!!!

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
One thing that appeals to me about the PSP over the DS is just the 16:9 widescreen display. Full-screen is the suXXX000rrrrSSSS!!!!!

But when you put the 2 DS screens together, you have even more of a wide screen that the PSP! Take that!

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town

Thanks for the help

Can the DS emulate Genesis and NES/SNes? OK, I'm sure it's powerfuly enough, but has anyone found a way of doing it on a DS? Most of the best back catalogue of the Nintendo systems is available on either DS or GBA now I guess, but I'm still curious as all I've ever heard about is PSP homebrew/emulation. :confused:

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Can the DS emulate Genesis and NES/SNes? OK, I'm sure it's powerfuly enough, but has anyone found a way of doing it on a DS? Most of the best back catalogue of the Nintendo systems is available on either DS or GBA now I guess, but I'm still curious as all I've ever heard about is PSP homebrew/emulation. :confused:

Yes, it can emulate both – you’ll need a booting tool like FlashMe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_homebrew isn’t bad place to start looking…

BTW (I can’t comment on the Genesis/Megadrive games) but the S/NES work well largely – not all do though.

PSP homebrew IMO is not worth it. The only classic games I enjoy are genesis and NES which the DS can do. DS actually has great homebrew as well.
Each to their own opinion :p

But yes, the DS homebrew is great.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've been quite impressed on the state of emulation on my M3 though. And there's quite a good amount of decent homebrew out there, and videos convert well and MP3's play fine. Plenty of non-pirate stuff you can do.

Oh definitely. I use my M3 for dumping my games so I always have my collection with me, oh and sometimes for cheating :D but never in Metroid. Hackers have almost ruined that. It's like Counter Strike before Source was released. BeOS DS is fantastic. Along with that Pop3 email program.

NES works fine. SNES is horrendous. Mega Drive I don't know. I keep my NES and GB games on my M3 Simply on my GBA Micro. Can't fault it.

GBA is widescreen ;) or 16:10 I believe. I even bought a 16:10 monitor because 16:9 is too narrow for me. Ironically I bought a PSP for homebrew and a DS for proper games, but when it came to the crunch the PSP had to be downgraded which meant a complicated and bastardised method of tricking the system into playing games that required updating. The DS only needs a Passcard which can be had for next to nothing these days and although you do have to pay - it's a hassle free way to get homebrew.

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
R4DS, Just one thing that sits flush into the DS slot, has a micro sd card slot. Flawless. Does everything too

Oh, and im not saying PSP is bad, its great... i think i may get one as well. Ill see how the DS goes though. Thanks for the help

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
ROLFL............:p

Screen Size:
PSP - 4.3 inch LCD - 16:9 ratio
DS - Two 3 inch LCDs - 4:3 ratio

Screen Resolution:
PSP - 480 x 272 pixels
DS - 256 x 192 pixels

Colors:
PSP - 16,800,000
DS - 260,000

"While the DS does 3D pretty well and has enough juice to put out decent graphics, the PSP is basically a PS2 in a smaller package. Nintendo has never really been able to put out a handheld that can make games look equivalent to a current console, but Sony went above and beyond, giving the PSP enough oomph to really shine."

NOW.........DS homebrew is probably a little easier, but I had both and before 3.0 f/w, the PSP Homebrew was much father along(it still is farther, just not as much) and had more documented support. While there are still "advancements" being made, it would appear the DS has made some rather large leaps itself(more so than PSP). If I had 2 PSP's I'd still be into the HomeBrew, but I gave that up for the sake of Beta testing and PS3 interoperability.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Re: all the posts I just deleted:

Let it go, people. Let it go or find yourselves with more time to play games.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

I'm doing it now.

SNES emulation works spectacularly, though there are some sprite bugs sometimes. Genesis has no sound and the framerate isn't always perfect, but no sprite bugs and everything looks perfect. Everything is still WIP.

The only reason you hear more of PSP emulation is that you have to buy extra equipment for DS.

Oh definitely. I use my M3 for dumping my games so I always have my collection with me, oh and sometimes for cheating

I hacked my Mario Kart so I can select the single-player-only stages when playing online. I wish the game had voice chat so I could hear people's reaction.

NES works fine. SNES is horrendous.

What emulator are you using? The new version of SNEmulDS just came out, and it's amazing. Even Donkey Kong Country runs playably. Just don't use the savestate function. I've been working my way through Super Mario World today.

There are some sprite glitches where things that are supposed to be behind things are in front though.

"While the DS does 3D pretty well and has enough juice to put out decent graphics, the PSP is basically a PS2 in a smaller package. Nintendo has never really been able to put out a handheld that can make games look equivalent to a current console, but Sony went above and beyond, giving the PSP enough oomph to really shine."

You make it sound like Nintendo failed to do this. Nintendo never tried; *every* Nintendo handheld system was sold at a $99 price point, the DS was the most expensive Nintendo handheld at $149.

Sony launched a $250 handheld selling at a loss, originally estimated to sell for $300.

Essentially, Sony made a handheld 2-3 times more expensive than anything Nintendo had previously tried to market. NO DUH it had better graphics.

Sony also succeeded in making a handheld with a battery life barely better than a console, too ;)

They're really just different systems. One is designed to be a portable console (with all the disadvantages that comes with), the other is designed to play mobile games, designed specifically for picking-up-and-playing.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
^Thats exactly why I chuckled and replied in the manner I did.
Anybody who can't see that isn't informed enough, or making a largely biased statement.

You also stated the reason I avoided DS homebrew. Its not like you could walk into any store and buy the hardware required. Plus, once you do......it still requires a little work(just like the PSP). Plus I read PSP had VNC capabilities, which is awesome! :D Anywho, like I said, they are both getting great HomeBrew support now, so its seeming like features and software titles are the main points of sale(for a consumer). We all know our opinions on that matter vary. :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Out of curiosity, what "little work like the PSP" is required?

I know you like the PSP and all, but all you do is drag & drop a rom or application or utility onto a memory card and an M3 will run it. Or is inserting a MicroSD card the "little work" you meant ;)

Praxis- Last time I tried playing Mario Kart I had serious layer issues. Mario World was the worst, you had to toggle through layers for certain levels. I should probably give it another go.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Please take notice that when I did this there was no downgrader yet, HomeBrew was merely available.
Now you have to use downgraders to get to s a certain f/w, but liek I said....at the time I was already there.

All I had to do was download the rom's/emulators create a folder or two and drag-n-drop. ;)

Yes it was that easy........

I was talking about the DS/PSP, not the M3, I have no firsthand experience/knowledge of the M3, so I cannot speculate.

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
here's my 2 cents, i've always been a playstation guy, but i would go with the DS. I have a PS3 so i can play all the playstation type games on there, but the DS is nice because it's different. lots of different types of gaming which is nice to get away from the PS style of games. love the brain games and stuff, plus it's kind of nice to play some games against others without them having to have a copy of the game to, like with Mario Kart and in July another Worms game will be out.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Out of curiosity, what "little work like the PSP" is required?

I know you like the PSP and all, but all you do is drag & drop a rom or application or utility onto a memory card and an M3 will run it. Or is inserting a MicroSD card the "little work" you meant ;)

Praxis- Last time I tried playing Mario Kart I had serious layer issues. Mario World was the worst, you had to toggle through layers for certain levels. I should probably give it another go.

I haven't played Mario Kart; I meant I hacked Mario Kart DS to play the locked levels in multiplayer.

Which emulator were you using though? SNESDS and all the others pretty much suck.

SNEmuDS 0.5 works pretty well, but sprite bugs do happen a lot. They're USUALLY small. In Super Mario World, the menu and overworld appear totally messed up, but once you actually get in the game, everything looks great.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels has been really fun. I'd forgotten how sadistically difficult that game is. I think they hired Satan as the level designer. It runs almost PERFECTLY, the only two bugs I've noticed is that the stats at the top of the screen can be hidden by blocks (meh, who cares?) and after you die when it shows what level you're on the text is missing.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Please take notice that when I did this there was no downgrader yet, HomeBrew was merely available.
Now you have to use downgraders to get to s a certain f/w, but liek I said....at the time I was already there.

All I had to do was download the rom's/emulators create a folder or two and drag-n-drop. ;)

Yes it was that easy........

I was talking about the DS/PSP, not the M3, I have no firsthand experience/knowledge of the M3, so I cannot speculate.

Yeah, nowadays on the PSP you have to reflash the firmware to run homebrew and reflash it again to play legit games. Yuck.

DS homebrew has gotten a lot better; before you needed to either flash the firmware or stick a passme in the top slot, then stick the M3 in the bottom...these days you can buy an M3 Simply or an R4 that goes in the top slot.

Just buy the device for $45, stick a Micro SD card in there with your homebrew apps, and start playing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.