Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad to buy given that it's almost June?

• iPad WiFi only?

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • iPad 3G?

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • Just wait for iPad 2nd edition?

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Good Day. I am looking for a little advice. Please excuse me if this topic is listed elsewhere but I didn't see it.

If the only 3 choices given are the following options, which one do you choose?

1. iPad WiFi?
  2. iPad 3G?
  3. iPad 2011?

Awhile back, my lady promised me an iPad before it was officially announced in January as a Valentines Day gift if I could wait. Now it's almost June. I guess a had to wait a little while. :rolleyes: In a few weeks, I will be able to get one FINALLY as a gift. However, I now don't know which one to get. Originally, it was supposed to be the Wifi 32G model, but I've been thinking about going 3G instead of just the Wifi and pay the difference out of my own pocket.

For the 3G iPad users/owners', from your perspectives, is it worth it?

Maybe I should wait until next April for the 2nd version with a camera or a possible price decrease for the current model in a few months.

Lastly, is 32G enough or too much? From people's experiences, does the amount of memory you have work for you?

What are the opinions on this? I appreciate all the advice/responses to help a fellow Macboy out. I really would like an iPad but just need a bit advice before I get one now. I truly appreciate the comments. Thanks!

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
3g is the way to go. If you don't use 3g much you can cancel the contract and renew it for a month or so if you are out of your wifi area. 3g gives you flexibility.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
32GB is fine unless you plan to move to an uninhabited island for a few months.

i agree ordered a 32gig 3g from the apple site and will be upgrading the memory once it comes in said to be here on June 10.

Now that's a neat trick. How to you propose to do that?

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
3G with the right amount of memory for your budget. A year is a long time to wait, and a long time to enjoy what we have now.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
To be honest the first edition is just fine, i may hold out for the 2nd though. I think when that happens the 1st gen ones will be very affordable. :)

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
I'd Like to think I could wait for the second Gen assuming it will be worth the wait... But more than likely Ill buy one soon and enjoy it for the time being, then sell and upgrade.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I have the wifi only model and I'm very happy with it. There hasn't been a time when I needed 3G because I only use my iPad at work and at home which both have wifi connections. It all comes down to what you need and if you're willing to spend the extra $130 just incase. I knew I wasn't going to use the 3G so I didn't buy one.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I have the wifi only model and I'm very happy with it. There hasn't been a time when I needed 3G because I only use my iPad at work and at home which both have wifi connections. It all comes down to what you need and if you're willing to spend the extra $130 just incase. I knew I wasn't going to use the 3G so I didn't buy one.

Yup. I travel light, for that I have iPhone. I use my iPad 97% of the time at home on WiFi.

Until the carrier cuts me a break, there would be no way to justify 3G on both devices.

Dapper

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
That's like saying should I buy a wii or wait for the next model to come out, I see all my friends and family having a good time but I'm going to wait because it will be so much better down the road. You really don't believe that do you?:cool:
Oh yeah, 3G all the way, very convenient and yes practical.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Hmmm. If usually where your going to be using it at has a wifi connection. Your good with that. If you have an iPhone, there is really no need for 3 G service on something you really don't "need" 3G service on when you can do it on your iPhone. That is the reasoning for me getting my 16GB wifi version. I hardly even have used 4Gigs on my 16 3GS so this 16 ipad is more than enough. I made my decisions based on my lifestyle.

It's easy, I use anything with Internet at home; mainly because I work at home too.

I will be expecting my ipad between the 1st & 4th of next month. Great.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
I'd Like to think I could wait for the second Gen assuming it will be worth the wait... But more than likely Ill buy one soon and enjoy it for the time being, then sell and upgrade.

I'm probably going to end up doing that as well.

That's like saying should I buy a wii or wait for the next model to come out, I see all my friends and family having a good time but I'm going to wait because it will be so much better down the road. You really don't believe that do you?:cool:
Oh yeah, 3G all the way, very convenient and yes practical.

Very true. I'd rather enjoy now.

I plan to upgrade my jailbroken iphone with the new iphone 4G, if the design resembles the prototype stolen one (still have 1st gen iphone -- dont ask :eek:), and then I'll just use it tethered with a new iPad. I think I'm going to roll with the WiFi only. I just have to decide if I'm going to buy the 32G or 64G now--probably sticking with 32G.

But thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. Much appreciated!

pfft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I can't understand people that want something but decide to wait for next years version even though there's no concrete guarantee there will be one.

It's like a beautiful model asking you to sleep with them and wondering if you should wait for a SUPERmodel to proposition you.

Life's short, you might be dead this time next year so get a bloody iPad if you want one.

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
When iPad 2 becomes available there should be a lot competition. Maybe you'll end up with something other than an iPad.

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006

I was going to wait for the 2ndGen iPad, but then in a moment
of illumination I decided to skip the 2ndGen iPad, buy the 1st Gen
and then see what the 3rd Gen shows up with.

I like my iPad !

I will probably like it more when OS4 arrives for it later this year.

:)

dxr

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I can't understand people that want something but decide to wait for next years version even though there's no concrete guarantee there will be one.

It's like a beautiful model asking you to sleep with them and wondering if you should wait for a SUPERmodel to proposition you.

You really think there's not going to be a decent upgrade next year?

My first gen iPod Touch has no external volume buttons or speakers and it's been a perpetual annoyance compared to my iPhone. 16GB is also too small IMO for the base model these days. If I didn't have the above two devices I'd already have an iPad, but everything besides Netflix and ABC I can do on the smaller screen ok (I've surfed, read ebooks and watched videos extensively long before the iPad was even announced, so I'm used to it).

Anyhow, that's my POV and YMMV...

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have my new 64GB WiFi now. 3G where I want to use it is very patchy and where it's good, I have access to a desktop or laptop with fixed broadband. My experience of 3G even in areas of strong signal is that the bandwith is congested. I'm getting 20MB at home on my iPad and when I go on holiday or on business, I'll use hotel WiFi.

So I agree - it's very much dependant on what you want to do. I have a Blackberry for email on the go - which is brilliant.

Black.Infinity

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Apple tree-Toronto
today in canada ipad came finally i had chance to go to futureshop

i was kind of nervous and alsoo happy to see it and touch it

and let me tell you something ittt feellssss great when you have it in your hand its awesome:apple::apple::apple::apple:

pfft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
You really think there's not going to be a decent upgrade next year?

My first gen iPod Touch has no external volume buttons or speakers and it's been a perpetual annoyance compared to my iPhone. 16GB is also too small IMO for the base model these days. If I didn't have the above two devices I'd already have an iPad, but everything besides Netflix and ABC I can do on the smaller screen ok (I've surfed, read ebooks and watched videos extensively long before the iPad was even announced, so I'm used to it).

Anyhow, that's my POV and YMMV...

I didn't say that I didn't think there would be a decent upgrade next year, or any upgrade for that matter.

My point is that the FACT of the matter is that there hasn't been an announcement of an iPad 2 and I'm sure that if/when there is one then it's probably about 6-7 months away so it's ludicrous that someone should be talking about buying it when version 1 is only a month or so old.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Good Day. I am looking for a little advice. Please excuse me if this topic is listed elsewhere but I didn't see it.

If the only 3 choices given are the following options, which one do you choose?

1. iPad WiFi?
  2. iPad 3G?
  3. iPad 2011?

For the 3G iPad users/owners', from your perspectives, is it worth it?

Maybe I should wait until next April for the 2nd version with a camera or a possible price decrease for the current model in a few months.

Lastly, is 32G enough or too much? From people's experiences, does the amount of memory you have work for you?

What are the opinions on this? I appreciate all the advice/responses to help a fellow Macboy out. I really would like an iPad but just need a bit advice before I get one now. I truly appreciate the comments. Thanks!

I suggest you just keep waiting. I'm not sure the second gen will be good enough though, so maybe wait for the third gen. It should only be two years.
Better yet, in a year you should reassess and then maybe the fourth gen will look more appealing. But definitely don't get one now. It's a game changer, the 3G means ubiquitous web and cloud access just about anywhere, but I heard the next gen will include <insert outrageous rumor here> and double the storage, so if I were you, I'd wait.

Personally, I got the 3G. You should definitely wait though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.