Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad to buy given that it's almost June?

• iPad WiFi only?

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • iPad 3G?

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • Just wait for iPad 2nd edition?

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kosinar

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
With all due respect all of you WiFi only guys are in total denial when trying to rationalize decision to go without 3G. "I don't need" statement is totally out of the place. None of us really "NEED" iPad wifi or 3G. It has nothing to do with NEED and everything to do with WANT.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Really just depends on your use case. Find myself on the Zillow app a lot when out and about, quite happy to have the 3G. If it is for the couch, much less of an issue.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have MyWi on my iPhone 3G which shares my internet via WIFI. So I don't 'need' the 3G iPad.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
The 3G ipad is perfect for me and I'm glad I waited for it instead of getting the WiFi version. On the road it has been much easier to find 3G than to find WiFi. In my small RV it is easy to store the iPad in a drawer and have access to Internet or maps or email in an instant. It is the perfect traveling companion. And, I can always turn off the 3G when I'm home and don't need it.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I voted WiFi because:

I use it at home or college which is where I have internet connection already;
3G cost £100 more which I could doubling the amount of storage with the same money;
3G costs over time and I have 3G on my iPhone already;
If I would stream video on my iPad I would use a lot of data and would not be faster than WiFi anyway;
Download Apps sometime require WiFi and anyway would consume a lot of data;
If I would browse on-the-go away from home or check e-mail I can easily use my iPhone.

But I guess 3G would be nice if:

You don't have any internet at home;
You are often away from home and you would like to browse/mail etc;
You use GPS Apps;
Have spare money.

On second generation iPad:
Why would you wait a year to buy it when you could enjoying from today?
Then why don't way the third generation when the second will be released?
Last generation will have improvement but the next will have even more, is a non-sense.

But it always comes to choices so, pick your fave. ;)

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
With all due respect all of you WiFi only guys are in total denial when trying to rationalize decision to go without 3G. "I don't need" statement is totally out of the place. None of us really "NEED" iPad wifi or 3G. It has nothing to do with NEED and everything to do with WANT.

I think 3G is a waste of money. I dumped my iPhone last year for BlackBerry on Verizon because ATT sucks so bad. You will see when you travel just how bad ATT is. Plus I get WiFi almost every where I go.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm giving my wifi-only iPad to my mother - she really wants one and her 65th birthday is coming up - so I've ordered a 3G as a replacement.

I can actually quite do without the 3G (I use a Verizon Motorola Droid with wifi hotspot app if I need net access without being in a wifi area), but since I'll have to wait for the order anyway, I paid up the extra $130 for the 3G model.

June 17 delivery if Apple sticks to their estimate.

GoHack

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Why not wait till 2012 or 2013 then? We most likely won't know until a year from now what the next generation will have. That's a whole year w/o one.

Seriously, are there going to be better features on future models, sure, but how long do you hold off till you make the move to purchase and enjoy it?

I'm sure someone will offer a camera attachment for the present iPad, if the interest is there. Someone like Logitech perhaps.

As for a price decrease, as long as sales are hot for the iPad, I wouldn't count on it. They are pretty much sold out everywhere here in the US. As soon as stores like BB get them in, they get sold out immediately.

David87

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Essex, UK
My girlfriend bought an iPad yesterday - the 16GB Wi-Fi model. I quite agree with her choice; it's the one I'd have too. Reason being is that not only is there the not unsubstantial £100 extra charge for Wi-Fi + 3G, but the data plan charges just push the price up even further. Obviously if money were no object I'd have the 'better' model, but considering the thing will seldom leave the house, what's the point? If I didn't have my iPhone to check emails etc while on the go then the 3G model makes much more sense but, let's be honest, won't most people who buy an iPad already own an iPhone?

As for the memory capacity, well, that's just down to personal preference and budget. 16GB would do me fine, but I appreciate those who may work away from home etc may need extra space.

As for the iPad itself, well... it's sensational.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Don't bother waiting for the next version, you'll end up never buying anything because there's always new rumours.

If you will use it out of the house, get a 3G. If not, get WiFi only.

As for size, that's personal preference, but I'd recommend at least 32GB.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I was going to go with 16GB WiFi but ended up with 32GB when I realized I was using 10GB on my phone and I don't feel I have much on there.

I'll generally be near WiFi and if I need 3G my jailbrake iphone will tether just fine. It's a bit less convenient but so is starting/stopping ATT an paying another $130.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I thick you should wait for the 7th gen.

Seriously though. With any apple product the next gen is better than the one you have but you have to buy some time. No point waiting forever.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Get the best you can afford, and don't wait for the next one.

Who cares if the next one has a camera or something? The one you can buy today is still a brilliant device. I used to wait for the 'next gen' which seemed to never come, but what do you do after that? Wait for the next one again? Apple will always have a new iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook etc etc round the corner because that's how they make money.

Plus, pretty much all Apple products have at least some resell value, so you may be able to save money and get the next one whenever it comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.