Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
whiteangel said:
Do you find that using a trackball is more comfortable that using a normal mouse? My right arm has gotten so painful, numb and weak that my lecturer asked me to use my left hand to mouse instead, which I am trying now.

I seriously do hope that I am not aggravating the condition by forcing myself to use the trackball. Do you find that your hand gets more tense as you try to control the ball more precisely? Or is it just me doing it wrong?

I liked the large Kensington trackball much better than the small trackball on my old Powerbook Duo. But if I could rip out my iBook trackpad and replace it with the Duo trackball, I would do it. The control was much better.

My problem was wrist tendonitis in my right wrist due to overmousing (?) which was helped by moving to a trackball with my left hand. Arm pain might be a little different problem, also related to sitting position and the position of your arms on the keyboard. I might have been having arm pain when I got the armrests I posted earlier, I don't recall, but I know they really allowed me to work longer.

If your problems continue, you may want to look for webpages about ergonomics.

If you are getting more tense when you are positioning the trackball more precisely, it is probably first due to inexperience. Precise positioning eventually became second nature to me. There should be a setting for the trackball that it is less sensitive (moves less distance for the amount of roll) when it is moved slowly, and more sensitive when it is moved quickly.

I remember trying to set it so that I could position something well in a graphics program when I moved it slowly, but being able to give it a quick spin to move the cursor from corner to corner when necessary.

I seem to recall reading an article somewhere where a reviewer took three days to get used to a trackball.

Good luck and keep us posted

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
wow you guys are amazing !

I am delighted to hear that many of you are very happy with the kensington expert, which gives me more hope of getting used to it, and ultimately put less stress on my wrist. I think that my pains are attributed to many things, me using a dining table to work on (can't help it), sitting cross legged on my chair ( i try to not to do it but somehow i always end up in that position) and slouching. Also I tend to tense my shoulder when I mouse, until the point that it tenses up on its own and I have to consciously relax it every few seconds.

I do think that the microsoft trackball explorer looks more ergonomic than the kensington expert, but in the end I choose the expert because of its software, being able to configure the buttons for different applications just increases the functionality of the mouse by folds I feel, and of course it seems to me that the expert (used to be turbo I think) is deemed as the best trackball by many so I thought with such great reputation, I can't go wrong very much right.

Today is my 5th day using the trackball, I tried it with my left hand yesterday and it was easier to use the trackball with my left hand than to try to use the normal mouse with my left hand. But using my left hand took too much concentration to do my work so I switched back to my right hand.

I'll see if my right hand starts hurting badly again today.

Another useless point to make, everyone seems to think that I am crazy buying a trackball, as they all say it is hard to control. It is like the evil mouse shunned by many, but I like to venture into forbidden lands. I believe that there is a reason why trackballs still exist today and why there are people who swear by trackballs, and I plan to find out why.

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
drbrog said:
Does anyone make a Bluetooth trackball?

thanks
Jay

I think someone found a bluetooth trackball in this forum, but I didn't think it looked good so I didn't take down the name.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
drbrog said:
Does anyone make a Bluetooth trackball?

thanks
Jay

There is a wireless version of the Expert Trackball (which is an evolution of the old Kensington TurboMouse) but I don't think it is bluetooth compatible. I got the implication somewhere their wireless is more responsive than bluetooth.

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
hey guys...... i'm starting to regret my purchase now. I don't think that the kensington expert is comfy. I think the buttons are too hard to reach, the only button i can easily reach the the one I press with my thumb. And because I feel that using my thumb is easier that using my fourth or pinky finger, I now find that the microsoft trackball explorer is more comfy.

Now I seriously need your more objective advice. I don't think I can sell the expert on ebay for a high price on ebay, I got it for £55 including postage. I'll be lucky if I can sell if for £40 i think. Now you see with this attempt to switch to trackballs I have already spent £75 , £20 of which is due to my carelessness, I bought the orbit off amazon but the address was my old address which is vacant now. Amazon said that if it is not delivered it will refund me, but after the order status said that it is dispatched, I emailed amazon twice saying that nobody will be there to sign for it and so they should refund me, but they didn't reply both emails. :(

I feel that I have spent too much money on mice, what should I do? Should I just try to sell the expert and go back to normal mice? Or should I try to sell the expert and get the M$ explorer? Or should I just stick to the expert and force myself to use it longer?

Am I placing too much importance on the mouse? Maybe I should just use the computer less. But on account of what I do I don't think that is possible. Plus I really enjoy using my powerbook so it is going to be hard to ask me to use it less.

Hm.... I can't find the kensington expertmousr pro 7 on ebay..... so I guess it won't sell well ..... :(

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
Hey guys I actually tried controlling the ball with my thumb and it didn't seem to be very difficult. Now i'm kinda torn between whether a thumb is better or fingers is better. But this sort of thing you need to use the mouse in your everyday tasks to determine it, not just pushing it around in the store.

But first I better get my hands on some display sets. I will be making a trip to london soon and was wondering if anybody knows of any shop in london that has a variety of trackballs on display. I do not know my way around london, so some directions will be a great help! :D

Oh and I put my expert mouse up on ebay as a buy it now item. If someone buys it then good for me, else I guess I have to keep it.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
whiteangel said:
hey guys.....

Am I placing too much importance on the mouse? Maybe I should just use the computer less. But on account of what I do I don't think that is possible. Plus I really enjoy using my powerbook so it is going to be hard to ask me to use it less.

Have you had your wrist examined yet? That would seem to be priority one. Dr. can give you a wrist brace and advise one what movement / angles will make it worse, which is to be avoided, determine what is inflammed, etc. May also be able to advise on chair type and position. I don't know how UK works, but may also allow you some disability time to recover somewhat. ALSO - don't they make little external trackpads mice? If your wrist is braced and at the right height, it seems that one of those would have your wrist dead still with some finger movement - same notion as the trackball, I suppose.

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
law guy said:
Have you had your wrist examined yet? That would seem to be priority one. Dr. can give you a wrist brace and advise one what movement / angles will make it worse, which is to be avoided, determine what is inflammed, etc. May also be able to advise on chair type and position. I don't know how UK works, but may also allow you some disability time to recover somewhat. ALSO - don't they make little external trackpads mice? If your wrist is braced and at the right height, it seems that one of those would have your wrist dead still with some finger movement - same notion as the trackball, I suppose.

Hi, I haven't seen a doctor yet as I don't think many doctors know much about it. But I'll pay a visit soon when I can drag myself down. I am trying to improve my sitting position as according to what is advised on the web and various places, but old habits really die hard.

I find that a trackpad is even harder to be accurate with. About the wrist brace, I'll ask the doctor about it.

Thanks alot for your advice. ;) :D

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
Hey guys, just an update. I sold my kensington expert for £50, and I bought a microsoft optical trackball (the one that uses the thumb), as my bf thinks that you move less with your thumb than if you have to use 2 fingers. I think that it is easier for me to use a thumb one, quite surprisingly, but the size of the mouse could be smaller. They didn't have the logitech thumb version (trackman) at the store, so I didn't buy it. But it seems that the logitech is of better quality than the microsoft one? However, the logitech only has 2 buttons. What a waste.

The feel of the trackball is generally good, but sometimes it sticks and I have to put in extra effort to make the ball go the way i want it to go. Is this normal in a brand new trackball? Will it get better when it gets seasoned?

I went to the doctor's and all she asked me to do was to do some arm exercises and take breaks. However, my kind supervisor has referred me to the University occupational health services, so I will be visiting them soon.

BBWlf

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
Hi, whiteangel. I would like to get a trackball, I would like to know, if you got used to it? So which one do you suggest, the one controlled by thumb or fingers? I would guess you had problems with kensington because of the size - that's why other guys liked it, and since you are a girl, you probably have smaller hands, so it didn't fit in your hand as it was supposed to. Anyway, I have problems with my wrist, I guess because of the mouse, so, do you suggest I buy a trackball or not?

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
I'm using the "Marble Mouse" by Logitech and I'm very happy with it.
What it makes special is the centered ball - you don't operate it with your thumb but with your three middle fingers. It's equally suitable for left- or right-handed use.

BBWlf

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
lexfuzo said:
I'm using the "Marble Mouse" by Logitech and I'm very happy with it.
What it makes special is the centered ball - you don't operate it with your thumb but with your three middle fingers. It's equally suitable for left- or right-handed use.

I only saw a picture, but it does not seem very ergonomic... What does it feel like using it?

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
BBWlf said:
Hi, whiteangel. I would like to get a trackball, I would like to know, if you got used to it? So which one do you suggest, the one controlled by thumb or fingers? I would guess you had problems with kensington because of the size - that's why other guys liked it, and since you are a girl, you probably have smaller hands, so it didn't fit in your hand as it was supposed to. Anyway, I have problems with my wrist, I guess because of the mouse, so, do you suggest I buy a trackball or not?

hi, the thumb is better for me as it is easier to control, but my thumb gets tired sometimes. The good thing is that the thumb one stopped any wrist pains. I got wrist pains even with the center ball kensington one. However I will advise you to get the logitech trackball as the M$ one i had was scratchy. Not good when you have to push really hard when the ball gets stuck, and I clean it like every 5 mins and it still gets stuck. I couldn't get efficient enough with play warcraft 3 (dota) with it so now I use a logitech v500 mouse, my wrist stopped hurting because I am consciously trying not to use my wrist to move the mouse, but my elbow instead, as advised by the occupational nurse. Of course in games I tend to forget that and the aches come back. Also i find that a smaller mouse results in less movement required to move it. I think my logitech mx700 is massive.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
BBWlf said:
I only saw a picture, but it does not seem very ergonomic... What does it feel like using it?
I like it a lot because I move my whole hand when I'm using it - it's not always the same finger.
At beginning I wasn't sure how great it is to use the thumb for left-clicking, but I got used to that (and you can change the buttons, if you want to...)

BBWlf

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
I decided to give a logitech finger-controlled one a try - since it had really great reviews. And since I can use 3 fingers, I don't have to worry about my thumb getting tired ... I hope it will stop my wrist pain. I'm only 20 years old and a student of computer science, so it's not great having to face these problems ... And if I mention I have pain because of the mouse usage, everyone thinks it's so d*mn funny :(

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
BBWlf said:
I decided to give a logitech finger-controlled one a try - since it had really great reviews. And since I can use 3 fingers, I don't have to worry about my thumb getting tired ... I hope it will stop my wrist pain. I'm only 20 years old and a student of computer science, so it's not great having to face these problems ... And if I mention I have pain because of the mouse usage, everyone thinks it's so d*mn funny :(

If you are talking about the wireless finger controlled trackball from logitech with alot of buttons. I think that looks interesting, and is certainly more comfy looking than the centered ball kind.

Don't worry I'm 22 and was a student of computer science, such problems are more common that you think. Things like good posture and everything plays a part. Make sure your arms are 90 degrees and you are sitting straight with your feet on the ground. Again this is what I was told by the occupational nurse, also make sure your back is supported.

BBWlf

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
whiteangel said:
If you are talking about the wireless finger controlled trackball from logitech with alot of buttons. I think that looks interesting, and is certainly more comfy looking than the centered ball kind.

Don't worry I'm 22 and was a student of computer science, such problems are more common that you think. Things like good posture and everything plays a part. Make sure your arms are 90 degrees and you are sitting straight with your feet on the ground. Again this is what I was told by the occupational nurse, also make sure your back is supported.

Yeah, that was the one I had in mind. It is a bit expensive (90 $, I know it's much cheaper in USA, but if I don't want to have any problems with warranty), but it has everything you'd want, and if it helps, it is really going to be worth it.

My desk is a bit high, so I guess that's not very good? I guess it was made before they even had any computers :rolleyes: Did the nurse tell you any reason, why to keep feet on the ground? It's kind of not comfortable and it's going to be quite hard to get used to it ;)

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
BBWlf said:
Yeah, that was the one I had in mind. It is a bit expensive (90 $, I know it's much cheaper in USA, but if I don't want to have any problems with warranty), but it has everything you'd want, and if it helps, it is really going to be worth it.

My desk is a bit high, so I guess that's not very good? I guess it was made before they even had any computers :rolleyes: Did the nurse tell you any reason, why to keep feet on the ground? It's kind of not comfortable and it's going to be quite hard to get used to it ;)

I think keeping the feet on the ground (think 90 degrees angle) is to prevent your tendons or whatever to have any pressure on them. She also recommended using a footrest if needed, boxes will do too or books.

Right now I am looking to get a Macally icekey for better typing experience. It is supposed to be the same as the keys on the powerbook, which I enjoy typing on, just that it is a bit too cramped for long hours of typing. Any suggestions? :D

BBWlf

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
Maybe you should use some ergonomic keyboard, something like this perhaps ;)
3003655e7167d9c23ddeeab4d63cba55.jpg

whiteangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Manchester
BBWlf said:
Maybe you should use some ergonomic keyboard, something like this perhaps ;)
3003655e7167d9c23ddeeab4d63cba55.jpg

Yeah maybe I should, but do they have that for the Mac ? the one that I found that looks like that is from M$ which means the keys will be switched.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I had a trackball from Logitech that I really liked. Used it with my old Dell. Unfortunately it wasn't Mac compatible so I looked for a replacement and wound up buying the Kensington Expert. I still have it but don't use it. Just didn't like the action and the feel. The wrist wrest is a bit on the "cheesie" side. As you can tell, I don't recommend the Expert.

I know that you're looking for a trackball but you might want to consider the Logitech MX1000 Laser. I've got it and love it. Cordless and comes with it's base station/recharger. Feels great and works great too. Oh yes, it's come down in price to ~ $49 from the $80 when I purchased. My .02. Cheers

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
whiteangel said:
Right now I am looking to get a Macally icekey for better typing experience. It is supposed to be the same as the keys on the powerbook, which I enjoy typing on, just that it is a bit too cramped for long hours of typing. Any suggestions? :D

Just saw your comment above. I highly recommend the Macally IceKey! I've got one and the action is very crisp. Very similiar to keys on the PB. You'll love it. Cheers

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I've been using a Kensington Turbo mouse (big ball) for 5 years or so. I also spend a very large amount of time with regular mice. That said, I'll take my trackball any day of the week.
I tend to use my thumb for left click, pinky for right (possibly using ring finger too), and use my index finger to control the ball. Though my middle finger rests and sometimes takes part in controlling the ball, it doesn't play a large roll.

I also have the speed and sensitivity turned up so that I can cover a 20" wide left to right at moderate speed in a 170° turn of the ball (i.e. one continuous finger movement from left to right on the ball). If I go fast I can cover both my 20"wide AND my 15" powerbook. moving slow I cover about half the 20".

So yeah, if you get used to the trackball, and it is your thing, it can be very nice. I do PS work as well as game without any trouble or apparent disadvantage.

That's my spiel ;)

~Earendil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.