Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
A Thunderbolt 3 dock connected with Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is best. It will add 10 Gbps USB support and support for USB-C hubs and docks.

All powered Thunderbolt docks should provide at least the minimum required power for the ports they have. 15W for USB-C and 4.5W for USB-A.

Some docks don't have SD card slots. Some Thunderbolt docks have more than one USB-C port. Some docks support 10 Gbps from more than one port. HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 for example.
Thank you. I'm familiar with the Wirecutter review and it was one of my sources when trying to figure out the best solution for my own setup. I've ordered the CalDigit TS3 Plus dock and the Apple adaptor, should easily handle my current needs plus be prepared for any future computer upgrades I might make.

There is more difference between the various types of connectors than I had appreciated: USB-C vs Thunderbolt 3; USB 3.1 Gen 1 vs Gen 2 (or is it USB 3.2 Gen 1 vs Gen 2? The Wirecutter article refers to USB 3.2 but the CalDigit website says USB 3.1. I assume the CalDigit website is correct); etc.

The Wirecutter article is also very helpful in explaining those differences. There is more to it than simply plugging your devices in to the port that 'fits' the plug! The CalDigit product page even mentions that the TS3 Plus dock supports the Apple Superdrive (a driver will need to be installed). How in the heck could I have ever anticipated that Superdrive support was something not provided by any drive with multiple USB ports?! Good grief. . .

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you. I'm familiar with the Wirecutter review and it was one of my sources when trying to figure out the best solution for my own setup. I've ordered the CalDigit TS3 Plus dock and the Apple adaptor, should easily handle my current needs plus be prepared for any future computer upgrades I might make.

There is more difference between the various types of connectors than I had appreciated: USB-C vs Thunderbolt 3; USB 3.1 Gen 1 vs Gen 2 (or is it USB 3.2 Gen 1 vs Gen 2? The Wirecutter article refers to USB 3.2 but the CalDigit website says USB 3.1. I assume the CalDigit website is correct); etc.

The Wirecutter article is also very helpful in explaining those differences. There is more to it than simply plugging your devices in to the port that 'fits' the plug! The CalDigit product page even mentions that the TS3 Plus dock supports the Apple Superdrive (a driver will need to be installed). How in the heck could I have ever anticipated that Superdrive support was something not provided by any drive with multiple USB ports?! Good grief. . .
When speaking of USB, I use the earliest spec version for the supported speed:

USB 1.1 = 1.5 MBps, 12 Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps
USB 3.0 = 5 Gbps
USB 3.1 gen 2 = 10 Gbps
USB 3.2 gen 2x2 = 20 Gbps
USB4 20 Gbps = 20 Gbps (not the same as USB 3.2 gen 2x2 since USB4 supports tunnelling of DisplayPort and USB 3.x)
USB4 40 Gbps = 40 Gbps

You can ignore the spec version and just look at the gen number:
gen 1 = 5 Gbps
gen 2 = 10 Gbps
gen 3 = 20 Gbps

CalDigit TS3 Plus is fine but it only has Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller, so displays connected to it that are not Thunderbolt displays will be limited to DisplayPort 1.2. The 10 Gbps USB-C port might be limited to 8 Gbps if it's using an ASMedia ASM1142.

Reactions: Phil77354

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
The HDMI output is the same. The superior stuff is not superior if you don't use it. Maybe I should have said Extra instead of Superior. In that case, the only thing superior is the 10 Gbps USB.
Is the Displayport on the Soho superior to the HDMI?

I need to buy two 4K monitors (one for each apartment) so need to figure out which specs I should look at!

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
When speaking of USB, I use the earliest spec version for the supported speed:

USB 1.1 = 1.5 MBps, 12 Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps
USB 3.0 = 5 Gbps
USB 3.1 gen 2 = 10 Gbps
USB 3.2 gen 2x2 = 20 Gbps
USB4 20 Gbps = 20 Gbps (not the same as USB 3.2 gen 2x2 since USB4 supports tunnelling of DisplayPort and USB 3.x)
USB4 40 Gbps = 40 Gbps

You can ignore the spec version and just look at the gen number:
gen 1 = 5 Gbps
gen 2 = 10 Gbps
gen 3 = 20 Gbps

CalDigit TS3 Plus is fine but it only has Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller, so displays connected to it that are not Thunderbolt displays will be limited to DisplayPort 1.2. The 10 Gbps USB-C port might be limited to 8 Gbps if it's using an ASMedia ASM1142.
@joevt, thank you. Not easy to fully absorb but for my purposes I should be able to muddle through . . .

When I get my TS3 Plus (hasn't shipped yet, if I get lucky I may have it to play with over the holiday weekend) I'll have to sit down and carefully study my various drives and other devices and decide how it should all be hooked together. I may return here for more tech support if I have difficulty! I appreciate you taking the time to explain in such detail.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

I need to buy two 4K monitors (one for each apartment) so need to figure out which specs I should look at!
CalDigit is absolutely superior to just about ANYTHING in the way they mark their ports. It says clearly (some of us might need a magnifier) HDMI 2.0b & DP1.4 (also usb-c 10Gb/s).
Although CalDigit makes their best to hide clear pictures of the SOHO for all sides.
Then they think that they have repeat over and over again how many monitors you can connect to certain OS with sertain refresh rate.

Apple does not even say this in their product page. You'll have to dig deep to support pages just to know what standards this product can coupe.

Next you can browse to wikipedia to check what these mean:
DP1.4 = max (actual) data rate 25.92 Gbit/s
HDMI2.0b = max (actual) data rate 14.4 Gbit/s

Now, which one do you think can carry more pixels, fattier pixels (>8bit colors) and faster framerates?

HDMI has been way behing in this game for few years now, but their 2.1 will be significant upgade to 42.6 Gbit/s.
If those cables will be cheaper in longer distances than just few feet than TB or DP they will win the game.
(DP2.0 will be 77.37 Gbit/s, but has anybody seen any reasonable cables for that?)

Reactions: alexjholland

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

Normally, DisplayPort 1.4 is 25.92 Gbps and HDMI 2.0b is 14.4 Gbps.

However, both the DisplayPort and HDMI port on the Soho originate from two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 which is only 12.96 Gbps. So, in that respect, they both have the same bandwidth. So then you have to compare features. HDMI 2.0b has HDR. DisplayPort 1.4 has HDR and DSC and Adaptive Sync but I don't know if the Soho supports DSC, and Adaptive Sync is not supported by macOS.

To make the HDMI port, the Soho has inside a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b converter that you cannot change. If in the future, a newer HDMI converter is created, it cannot replace the one used in the Soho (or any other USB-C adapter or dock that has an HDMI port). However, if someone makes a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter using that newer HDMI converter, then you can use it with the DisplayPort port. That's why I prefer DisplayPort ports. On the other hand, an HDMI port may save you from carrying around an HDMI adapter.

The 4K 60Hz displays should have a DisplayPort port and a HDMI port for maximum compatibility. Use the DisplayPort port for connecting to anything that has a DisplayPort port. The HDMI port can be used with anything that doesn't have DisplayPort output, such as a game console or TV cable box.

The displays don't need DisplayPort 1.4 unless you want to try HDR. A DisplayPort 1.2 display is sufficient otherwise. The Soho has a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub that can convert two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 from the computer to four lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2. Two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 is 75% the bandwidth of four lanes of DisplayPort 1.2.

Reactions: SvenneDK

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Normally, DisplayPort 1.4 is 25.92 Gbps and HDMI 2.0b is 14.4 Gbps.

However, both the DisplayPort and HDMI port on the Soho originate from two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 which is only 12.96 Gbps. So, in that respect, they both have the same bandwidth. So then you have to compare features. HDMI 2.0b has HDR. DisplayPort 1.4 has HDR and DSC and Adaptive Sync but I don't know if the Soho supports DSC, and Adaptive Sync is not supported by macOS.

To make the HDMI port, the Soho has inside a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b converter that you cannot change. If in the future, a newer HDMI converter is created, it cannot replace the one used in the Soho (or any other USB-C adapter or dock that has an HDMI port). However, if someone makes a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter using that newer HDMI converter, then you can use it with the DisplayPort port. That's why I prefer DisplayPort ports. On the other hand, an HDMI port may save you from carrying around an HDMI adapter.

The 4K 60Hz displays should have a DisplayPort port and a HDMI port for maximum compatibility. Use the DisplayPort port for connecting to anything that has a DisplayPort port. The HDMI port can be used with anything that doesn't have DisplayPort output, such as a game console or TV cable box.

The displays don't need DisplayPort 1.4 unless you want to try HDR. A DisplayPort 1.2 display is sufficient otherwise. The Soho has a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub that can convert two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 from the computer to four lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2. Two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 is 75% the bandwidth of four lanes of DisplayPort 1.2.
Cool, thanks! Are HDMI ports commonly achieved by convering a DisplayPort?

If the general argument is that a DisplayPort takes the connection 'at source' then it makes sense to prefer this.

I appreciate your help explaining all of this to me.

Now I need to figure out which monitors to buy!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Cool, thanks! Are HDMI ports commonly achieved by convering a DisplayPort?
For a DisplayPort output, there is a DisplayPort Dual Mode (written as DP++) which uses the DisplayPort pins to output an HDMI signal - a HDMI passive adapter shifts the voltages from DisplayPort voltage levels to match HDMI voltage levels. DisplayPort Dual Mode is limited to HDMI 1.4. For HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1, an active adapter is required.

For USB-C, there is a HDMI Alt Mode but no-one uses that. Instead, there is DisplayPort Alt Mode which can use all four lanes for DisplayPort with USB 2.0 or two lanes of DisplayPort with USB 3.x. DisplayPort Alt Mode is what USB-C hubs/docks/adapters use.

For Thunderbolt, it supports DisplayPort tunnelling. The DisplayPort data is input into a Thunderbolt controller in the host and is transmitted as Thunderbolt packets (like Ethernet) from there to the destination Thunderbolt controller that converts the packets back into DisplayPort (this happens inside a Thunderbolt display or Thunderbolt dock). The maximum number of DisplayPort inputs to a Thunderbolt host is two. I suppose future Thunderbolt or USB4 controllers could have more. The Blackmagic eGPU has two DisplayPort inputs - I suppose those inputs could add to the host's inputs so that the total max is four. Then you could chain another Blackmagic eGPU and the total would be 6 and so forth... Then you need a bunch of Thunderbolt docks and displays to convert them all back to DisplayPort. Of course Thunderbolt has a limit of 40 Gbps but that is enough for eight 1080p displays at least.

For USB-C docks and Thunderbolt docks - since they only have DisplayPort, an active adapter is required for HDMI 1.4, HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1.

Back to DisplayPort Dual Mode - some USB-C and Thunderbolt docks have extra converters to provide a DisplayPort Dual Mode port so they can work with passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

If the general argument is that a DisplayPort takes the connection 'at source' then it makes sense to prefer this.
Yes.
With the Soho, I said the bandwidth for the HDMI and DisplayPort port was the same because of the limitation of having only two lanes of DisplayPort. If the MST hub used in the Soho supported DSC, then the bandwidth limitation would disappear (if your GPU also supports DSC) because DSC effectively doubles or triples the bandwidth so then the DisplayPort port would have more bandwidth than the HDMI port. The MST hub will decompress the DSC input for displays that don't support DSC. HDMI 2.0 is limited 4K 60Hz 8bpc; HDR and 10 bpc requires chroma sub sampling which is a less smart type of compression than DSC. The DisplayPort port would be able to support 4K 60Hz 10bpc or HDR without chroma sub sampling.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
For a DisplayPort output, there is a DisplayPort Dual Mode (written as DP++) which uses the DisplayPort pins to output an HDMI signal - a HDMI passive adapter shifts the voltages from DisplayPort voltage levels to match HDMI voltage levels. DisplayPort Dual Mode is limited to HDMI 1.4. For HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1, an active adapter is required.

For USB-C, there is a HDMI Alt Mode but no-one uses that. Instead, there is DisplayPort Alt Mode which can use all four lanes for DisplayPort with USB 2.0 or two lanes of DisplayPort with USB 3.x. DisplayPort Alt Mode is what USB-C hubs/docks/adapters use.

For Thunderbolt, it supports DisplayPort tunnelling. The DisplayPort data is input into a Thunderbolt controller in the host and is transmitted as Thunderbolt packets (like Ethernet) from there to the destination Thunderbolt controller that converts the packets back into DisplayPort (this happens inside a Thunderbolt display or Thunderbolt dock). The maximum number of DisplayPort inputs to a Thunderbolt host is two. I suppose future Thunderbolt or USB4 controllers could have more. The Blackmagic eGPU has two DisplayPort inputs - I suppose those inputs could add to the host's inputs so that the total max is four. Then you could chain another Blackmagic eGPU and the total would be 6 and so forth... Then you need a bunch of Thunderbolt docks and displays to convert them all back to DisplayPort. Of course Thunderbolt has a limit of 40 Gbps but that is enough for eight 1080p displays at least.

For USB-C docks and Thunderbolt docks - since they only have DisplayPort, an active adapter is required for HDMI 1.4, HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1.

Back to DisplayPort Dual Mode - some USB-C and Thunderbolt docks have extra converters to provide a DisplayPort Dual Mode port so they can work with passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

Yes.
With the Soho, I said the bandwidth for the HDMI and DisplayPort port was the same because of the limitation of having only two lanes of DisplayPort. If the MST hub used in the Soho supported DSC, then the bandwidth limitation would disappear (if your GPU also supports DSC) because DSC effectively doubles or triples the bandwidth so then the DisplayPort port would have more bandwidth than the HDMI port. The MST hub will decompress the DSC input for displays that don't support DSC. HDMI 2.0 is limited 4K 60Hz 8bpc; HDR and 10 bpc requires chroma sub sampling which is a less smart type of compression than DSC. The DisplayPort port would be able to support 4K 60Hz 10bpc or HDR without chroma sub sampling.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
Cool, thanks for that.

So a key takeaway is that IF the CalDigit Soho supports DSC (unknown) then I can get 4K 60HZ PLUS 10bpc OR HDR (not both)?

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Great FStoppers review of the Caldigit Soho here.

I accept that I will struggle to keep up with the USB/Thunderbolt specifications.

I just want a manufacturer/brand who I can trust to build honest devices that deliver what their ports claim.

Sounds like Caldigit is that brand.

'The market seems to be awash with USB-C hubs of varying quality, and the main selling point is often how many different ports can be stuffed into a device to make it look like it will solve all the world’s problems. CalDigit has taken the opposite approach here and carefully calculated what a USB-C Gen 2 port is capable of. This hub may not have the most ports of any on the market, but CalDigit has ensured that everything will perform exceptionally with separated video and data lanes to ensure that no port disrupts another and reduces the performance.'

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Things with display connections have evolved a bit complicated in last decade or so.
Because, IMHO, manufacturers always think even a small amount of details will scare the buyer away.
So they don't want to tell you how things work, but instead, like also CalDigit here, they tell us a confusing amount of different use cases, and tell in each case does it work or not.

I'd prefer if there were "last page for geeks", where you could understand the logics and you could forget about two dozen use cases.

Like here, if we have on physical cable (usb-c), which have 4 "links" (these can be usb-alt mode or thunderbolt-alt-mode), where 2 can be DP "lanes" and one of them can "encapsule" the HDMI signal.

I'd guess SOHO is very nice, if it fits for the use.

The funny thing is, that if I want so connect 3 external ssd's all running different OS (one at a time is enough though),

There seems to be no reasonably priced simple "just usb hub" with 1 host port and 3 client ports all running in 10Gbit/s.
Physical ports can be a or c, I don't care, those cable are short and then cheap.
There is something so wrong in this industry...

Reactions: alexjholland

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . There is something so wrong in this industry...
The way I look at it, this is simply a consequence of technology and standards that have evolved over quite a few years. These hubs do their best to handle a variety of those connection types. The benefit is we can continue to use older devices for a longer period of time, we don't need to scrap our older stuff (at least not all of it) every time something new comes out or we upgrade our computer to a newer type, and so forth.

My own plan is to use my new (still not arrived) CalDigit TS3 Plus along with my iMac (late 2014) which has Thunderbolt 2 and regular USB connectivity. I'll be able to now attach older hard drives along with my newest drives that are USB-C, and hopefully I'll get everything to work together in harmony! I had struggled for a long time, uncertain as to how I could accomplish this (without upgrading my iMac), until I stumbled on the CalDigit hub here in one of the discussions (maybe this one, in fact).

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Things with display connections have evolved a bit complicated in last decade or so.
Because, IMHO, manufacturers always think even a small amount of details will scare the buyer away.
So they don't want to tell you how things work, but instead, like also CalDigit here, they tell us a confusing amount of different use cases, and tell in each case does it work or not.

I'd prefer if there were "last page for geeks", where you could understand the logics and you could forget about two dozen use cases.

Like here, if we have on physical cable (usb-c), which have 4 "links" (these can be usb-alt mode or thunderbolt-alt-mode), where 2 can be DP "lanes" and one of them can "encapsule" the HDMI signal.

I'd guess SOHO is very nice, if it fits for the use.

The funny thing is, that if I want so connect 3 external ssd's all running different OS (one at a time is enough though),

There seems to be no reasonably priced simple "just usb hub" with 1 host port and 3 client ports all running in 10Gbit/s.
Physical ports can be a or c, I don't care, those cable are short and then cheap.
I'm a sales copywriter for B2B software/SaaS companies and use this approach.

Marketers and copywriters harp-on about converting features to benefits, but you need both.

Sure, I grab attention with a benefit-focused headline.

But it's important to remember that a more technical end-user needs that detail to build credibility.

I back-up each benefit with a quick reference to the underlying technology; and further down the page (once they're engaged) start to drop-in a few chunks of technical terminology.

As you suggest, a 'technical specifications page' is a perfect catch-all, as it will only get clicked by people who care.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
So a key takeaway is that IF the CalDigit Soho supports DSC (unknown) then I can get 4K 60HZ PLUS 10bpc OR HDR (not both)?
HDR requires at least 10bpc so they mean the same thing in regards to bandwidth.
10 bpc means 1024 different values for each red, green, and blue component (or Y, Cb, Cr).
With SDR, a gamma table or value or function may be applied to adjust the values so they're not linear.
With HDR displays, the display describes its maximum brightness to the computer or GPU and adjustments are made. HDR is a fancier type of gamma adjustment using a greater amount of meta data from the display.

Kind of a terrible review if they couldn't be bothered to test with a 10 Gbps USB device or a couple 4K 60Hz displays.

I just want a manufacturer/brand who I can trust to build honest devices that deliver what their ports claim.
Too bad they don't mention support or non-support for DSC which is important when you include a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub.

'The market seems to be awash with USB-C hubs of varying quality, and the main selling point is often how many different ports can be stuffed into a device to make it look like it will solve all the world’s problems. CalDigit has taken the opposite approach here and carefully calculated what a USB-C Gen 2 port is capable of. This hub may not have the most ports of any on the market, but CalDigit has ensured that everything will perform exceptionally with separated video and data lanes to ensure that no port disrupts another and reduces the performance.'
I like that you can use the hub without an external power supply. Adding more ports would make that impossible but I don't know the exact math behind it - I don't know how much power they are drawing from the computer's USB-C port or how much they allow for the downstream ports. Certainly, the downstream USB-C port of the hub cannot provide as much power as the upstream USB-C port provides. "Separated video and data lanes" is a property of any USB-C hub and is not a positive feature - in fact USB4 is made to get around that - like Thunderbolt. With USB4 or Thunderbolt, all the bandwidth can go to a display. If you want more bandwidth for storage, then you can lower the output resolution of the display. With USB-C, the display bandwidth is reduced because they reserve lines for storage, and storage bandwidth is reduced because they reserve lines for displays. There do exist USB-C hubs with max bandwidth for displays - they are limited to USB 2.0 which uses two high speed lines that are separate from the four super speed lines that are used for displays.

Agreed.

What about something like this one:
https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c2a2cb
It appears to be bus powered. Only 15W total, so your external SSDs may require their own power probably.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c2a1cgb
This one is the same but replaces a USB-C port with a Ethernet port.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c3asdmb
3 USB Type A, one SD card slot.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c4ab
This one is all USB Type A.

The hubs use these chips:
RTS5423
RTS5420
VL820

So you can search for those to find similar products like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-4-Port-USB-3-1-USB/dp/B0846277J5
four Type A ports

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
First, facts:
  • Two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 can do:
    • 4K 30Hz 12bpc 4:4:4
    • 4K 60Hz 8bpc 4:4:4 (not HDMI)
    • 4K 60Hz 10bpc 4:2:2 (this is probably the answer)
    • DisplayPort 1.4 supports DSC which compresses more than 4:2:0 but is superior in quality to 4:2:2. Not all GPUs that support DisplayPort 1.4 support DSC. Big Sur may not support DSC in all cases. It's possible they could use DSC. If there does not exist a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0b converter that uses DSC, then they could pair a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub that supports DSC with a converter that doesn't support DSC. The MST hub can convert 2 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC to 4 lanes of DisplayPort without DSC. If they included the MST hub, then they would have added additional display output ports (unless size or power or macOS considerations).
Basically, this dock is the same as the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter except the dock uses a gen 2 hub with more ports instead of a gen 1 hub with one port.

Compared to the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter:

Superior: USB 10 Gbps, additional USB-C port, DisplaPort 1.4, SD, micro SD​
Same: HDMI 2.0b (supports HDR), USB-A, Power Delivery, Bus powered.​
Inferior: size​
Different: cable​
Not sure about:​
Power Delivery max power difference?​
DSC input/output support?​
I did some DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI testing at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ransfers-recommendation.2278473/post-29466205
The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support DSC (but I haven't tested it) so it may be superior to the Soho hub if the hub does not support DSC.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
I did some DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI testing at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ransfers-recommendation.2278473/post-29466205
The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support DSC (but I haven't tested it) so it may be superior to the Soho hub if the hub does not support DSC.

Great timing!

- Today my Apple AV adapter finally arrived (after two weeks missing in the post)
- I just ordered a Caldigit Soho (they arrived in stock in the UK)

I decided to keep the Apple AV adapter.

Caldigit Soho is 'semi-portable', so I'll take it between countries - but leave it on my desk setup.

Apple AV adapter will go into my cable bag in case I need to plug into a projector while I'm in a coworking space.

I just got a Philips 276E8VJSB which - although delightful - is a somewhat entry-level 4K monitor, so I guess both these adapters will serve everything that it's capable of?

At just £279 I can justify upgrading to a 4K/120Hz monitor in a year or so.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
- Today my Apple AV adapter finally arrived (after two weeks missing in the post)
- I just ordered a Caldigit Soho (they arrived in stock in the UK)

I decided to keep the Apple AV adapter.

Caldigit Soho is 'semi-portable', so I'll take it between countries - but leave it on my desk setup.

Apple AV adapter will go into my cable bag in case I need to plug into a projector while I'm in a coworking space.

I just got a Philips 276E8VJSB which - although delightful - is a somewhat entry-level 4K monitor, so I guess both these adapters will serve everything that it's capable of?

At just £279 I can justify upgrading to a 4K/120Hz monitor in a year or so.
When you get the Soho, If you have an Intel Mac, can you get a AGDCDiagnose output with a display connected to the Soho (DisplayPort and HDMI) and the same display connected directly to the Mac? It will tell us if the Soho supports DSC.
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_soho.txt 2>&1
If you only have a M1 Mac, the AGDCDiagnose output will probably be empty. In that case, maybe the info is in the ioreg -filw0 > ioreg_M1.txt output but I'm not sure. The following commands get the display info which includes color modes that support or don't support DSC. Maybe an MST hub that supports DSC will enable DSC modes for a display that does not support DSC.
ioreg -filrw0 -k "display-timing-info" > ioreg_M1_displays.txt
I think it should show DSC modes for a display connected to the Apple AV adapter. Use a different filename for the output file for different setups.

One question I have is how M1 Macs handle an MST hub. macOS doesn't support MST hubs for multiple displays, so I don't see Apple changing that for M1 Macs - but maybe since the graphics architecture is so different, they may show the DisplayPort hierarchy. In that case, it would be somewhere in the ioreg_M1.txt output. In the M1 Mac ioreg output, Apple show many more internal devices than you see in an Intel Mac. It may be easiest to compare the output with the Soho connected and without to see what all changes. In that case, use a different file name for each output.

I am also curious what USB chips the Soho uses (for the 4 port USB 3.1 gen 2 hub, and the SD card reader(s)). The following command gets the USB information that you see in the System Information.app:
system_profiler SPUSBDataType > system_profiler_usb.txt

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
When you get the Soho, If you have an Intel Mac, can you get a AGDCDiagnose output with a display connected to the Soho (DisplayPort and HDMI) and the same display connected directly to the Mac? It will tell us if the Soho supports DSC.
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_soho.txt 2>&1
If you only have a M1 Mac, the AGDCDiagnose output will probably be empty. In that case, maybe the info is in the ioreg -filw0 > ioreg_M1.txt output but I'm not sure. The following commands get the display info which includes color modes that support or don't support DSC. Maybe an MST hub that supports DSC will enable DSC modes for a display that does not support DSC.
ioreg -filrw0 -k "display-timing-info" > ioreg_M1_displays.txt
I think it should show DSC modes for a display connected to the Apple AV adapter. Use a different filename for the output file for different setups.

One question I have is how M1 Macs handle an MST hub. macOS doesn't support MST hubs for multiple displays, so I don't see Apple changing that for M1 Macs - but maybe since the graphics architecture is so different, they may show the DisplayPort hierarchy. In that case, it would be somewhere in the ioreg_M1.txt output. In the M1 Mac ioreg output, Apple show many more internal devices than you see in an Intel Mac. It may be easiest to compare the output with the Soho connected and without to see what all changes. In that case, use a different file name for each output.

I am also curious what USB chips the Soho uses (for the 4 port USB 3.1 gen 2 hub, and the SD card reader(s)). The following command gets the USB information that you see in the System Information.app:
system_profiler SPUSBDataType > system_profiler_usb.txt
I'm happy to do anything that adds value and answers questions for you guys.

However, my Intel MacBook just died.

My new M1 MacBook will arrive on February 1st.

Until then, I only have a Pixelbook Go!

I presume it won't be able to run this requests?

• Sad
Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
What about something like this one:
https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c2a2cb
It appears to be bus powered. Only 15W total, so your external SSDs may require their own power probably.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c2a1cgb
This one is the same but replaces a USB-C port with a Ethernet port.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c3asdmb
3 USB Type A, one SD card slot.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/hb31c4ab
This one is all USB Type A.

The hubs use these chips:
RTS5423
RTS5420
VL820

So you can search for those to find similar products like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-4-Port-USB-3-1-USB/dp/B0846277J5
four Type A ports
External power is mandatory.
This is for DESKTOP use.
I've got this:

Then there's identically looking this:

Haven't found any alternatives.
To me, paying more than 100 for basic usb hub has not been an option.
Maybe I could pay more for decent tb-hub, if there will be 4 port mini or mini with tb4, so the tb-hub can actually hub tb connections. Would be nice that this would have eSata and fw. And 3 of those usb-c-10gbps ports.

My Goobay acts flakey with 3 drives. I fear data corruption...
Delock says it uses VIA VL820.
Goobay uses the same, so 3x price for the same product might not help...

Last edited:

urbZZ

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Hi there,

I just had a bad experience with an USB 3.0 HUB from Atolla: LINK
Chinese crap ... I mean it's 2021, is it really such a big problem to build a Hub for USB3 that just works?? The HUB delivered Power, but it wouldn't be recognised in macOS Big Sur... I see other people have similar Problems with other Brands (Anker, Aukey,...).

My Spec: MacBook PRO 15, mid 2015, macOs Big Sur 11.1
What I am looking for: USB 3.0 HUB, that connects to the USB 3.0 Port from my Mac. Ports should be powered, so separate Power Supply is needed. I have an external USB3 Harddrive that should work with the HUB. Hub should offer Minimum of 4 Ports. It should work with macOS Big Sur and wake up from sleep properly! Optional: Switching Ports on and off separately.

Any Recommendations?

Cheers,
Ray

Natastrophe

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
So much information about hubs!! I found this one that supports 4k60, and has all the ports I need. My monitor is HDMI, so I can power my Macbook Air M1 with one USB-C port, and collect all other devices via the adapter...

What are peoples thoughts on the above? I may order today!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
So much information about hubs!! I found this one that supports 4k60, and has all the ports I need. My monitor is HDMI, so I can power my Macbook Air M1 with one USB-C port, and collect all other devices via the adapter...

What are peoples thoughts on the above? I may order today!
just keep in mind that one of those USB Type-A ports seems to be 2.0.

SvenneDK

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
I just got the MBA M1 and decided to go with a HyperDrive GEN2 6-in-1 USB-C Hub that does:

1. HDMI 4K60Hz
  2. USB-A 10Gbps
  3. MicroSD
  4. SD UHS-II 312MB/s
  5. USB-C Power Delivery 100W
  6. 3.5mm Audio Jack
I'm loving both pieces of hardware BUT I have a problem that I think is caused by the USB hub being powered and not having its own power source. When I leave the MBA and it goes to sleep, or I put it to sleep, and wakes it up, the two external hard drives that I have connected to the TP-Link UH720 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub (which has its own power source) which is connected to the HyperDrive hub have been disconnected and reconnected and I'm getting that warning message that I should remember to eject the drives before unmounting. Is there some way around this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.