Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

city_17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
I'm looking for a relatively simple dock for my MBP14, which has enough USB-C ports for 2 external SSDs and 1 mouse, and can charge my Macbook via a single USB-C cable.

I have found some options from Anker, Caldigit, Satechi and OWC which would fit the bill, but they're all really new TB4 docks that are relatively expensive ($150-250). My SSDs (T7s) aren't capable of using that speed, and I'm just using them for backup.

This means a slower dock with TB3 or USB 3.2 (10Gbps) would be fine as well.

Any recommendations for simple docks that would fit the bill? Possibly second hand TB3 models could also be an option?

Thanks!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Thunderbolt docks can be a bit spendy, even for TB3. I'm not sure if you'll find a Thunderbolt dock for much less than that.

USB-C Hubs/Docks will be much cheaper. Perhaps, something like this?

Reactions: city_17

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
As iStorm said if you don't need display, high throughput USB or daisychaining, then a USB-C dock would seem to be a far more economical prospect. With a PD dock you just insert your existing charger into the PD port on the dock, which will then draw power to both charge the laptop and also to power the other USB ports on the dock.

city_17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
As iStorm said if you don't need display, high throughput USB or daisychaining, then a USB-C dock would seem to be a far more economical prospect. With a PD dock you just insert your existing charger into the PD port on the dock, which will then draw power to both charge the laptop and also to power the other USB ports on the dock.
Good idea, had not thought of setting up power delivery like that! Only thing is I would have to swap out my regular Macbook charger for a USB-C one, don't think I have one that delivers enough power for my Macbook so that would add to the cost.

Edit: Actually did not not know you could swap out the MagSafe cable on the Apple charger for a regular USB-C one. That's probably the best option then.

city_17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Thunderbolt docks can be a bit spendy, even for TB3. I'm not sure if you'll find a Thunderbolt dock for much less than that.

USB-C Hubs/Docks will be much cheaper. Perhaps, something like this?
The linked model is not available in Europe unfortunately.

I found this one by Sitecom as an alternative that is sold here.

But it gets quite a lot of poor reviews, and people are reporting issues with Macs specifically. Does anyone know any alternatives? Or is it just a limitation of hubs at this price point not being the greatest quality.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Anker

Startech
5G2A2CPDB-USB-C-HUB

If you have a 96W charger then you are best off going for Startech's 100W passthru adapter.

If you use Magsafe instead, definitely test all your devices on the hub (by e.g. doing heavy file operations on both drives simultaneously as you mouse) as USB-C power from the Mac alone may struggle to power everything you've plugged in. The purpose of PD connection is not just to be able to charge the Macbook thru the hub, the hub itself also taps some power from the charger to power itself.

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The linked model is not available in Europe unfortunately.

I found this one by Sitecom as an alternative that is sold here.

But it gets quite a lot of poor reviews, and people are reporting issues with Macs specifically. Does anyone know any alternatives? Or is it just a limitation of hubs at this price point not being the greatest quality.
Finding a good hub/dock that only has USB-C ports might be tricky. Your options may open up if you're able to use USB-A for some of your devices (i.e. a USB-A 2.0 port for your mouse, USB-A 3.1/3.2 for one of your hard drives, and USB-C for the other).

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I highly doubt a mouse would be C, so I am definitely assuming that these are C-cabled or converted USB2/3 devices that OP is talking about.

city_17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
I highly doubt a mouse would be C, so I am definitely assuming that these are C-cabled or converted USB2/3 devices that OP is talking about.
My mouse is USB A, but I have a A to C adapter for that. My SSDs are USB C and all other devices I connect are either USB C or Lightning. So I don't really have much use for more than 1 or 2 A ports. But @iStorm is probably right, I can find more options with PD that have a lot of other ports other than just USB C.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016

city_17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Ended up finding an alternative to the Sitecom model with just USB C. It has a lot better reviews that say it actually stays cool (other models seemed to overheat). Otherwise a C to A converter would have been a good solution. Thanks for the advice @seggy and @iStorm !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.