Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanneon98

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
I got them for my wife and got to try them out. I like them, just not the price tag. Standard air pods never stayed in my ears anyway, it was comical.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Just got a pair today really going well with them definitely keeping them. Got a good seal on the medium and small tips. Coming from beats x they are better in every possible way. Sound is great and in my eyes well worth the money. The original airpods never stayed in my ears these do.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I just got them. So for they are great. I think the regular airpods are a little more comfy, but the noice cancelling is a great trade off. I also one PowerBeats Pros and the Bose QC35II. QC 35s are better NC but these come in surpsingly close for what they are. PBPs are defintely way better for the gym. I do wish tehse had more of the old design and volume controls but other than that it's great.

Basically, they are good at being good at nothing. Unlike how terrible the Bose are at staying connected, these are much better (I do miss being connected to two devices though). If you have the 1 or 2 airpods, keep them. The APPs have like 90% of the functionality. I have ADHD so ANC took priority over everything else

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I just got them. So for they are great. I think the regular airpods are a little more comfy, but the noice cancelling is a great trade off. I also one PowerBeats Pros and the Bose QC35II. QC 35s are better NC but these come in surpsingly close for what they are. PBPs are defintely way better for the gym. I do wish tehse had more of the old design and volume controls but other than that it's great.

Basically, they are good at being good at nothing. Unlike how terrible the Bose are at staying connected, these are much better (I do miss being connected to two devices though). If you have the 1 or 2 airpods, keep them. The APPs have like 90% of the functionality. I have ADHD so ANC took priority over everything else
The APP’s connect to all your Apple devices and you can easily switch between them. Don’t know about Android though.

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I am one of those. I was super excited the first two days I had them. They were so good and as this was my first experience with noise canceling earphones, I was literally wowed.

The third day was totally different.

I had read here in the forums, how the cups would stop staying in after some time and that was exactly the case for me.

The first two days, I would wear them and no matter what I did, even eating etc, they stayed in and totally sealed.

The third day, every 5 minutes I had to resecure them because I was feeling them starting to get loose, no matter how much I pushed them in.

The result was, that at some point I got busy and forgot about it and then out of the blue, the left earphone fell off my ear to the ground, causing a big bump. I got so mad, especially, because I had already read about this problem here, but I thought if I didn't try them, I wouldn't know for sure.

I sold them for a lower price and got back to my trustworthy Airpods 1st Gen that I never had a problem with.

Reactions: ATC

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Biggest issue right now is them staying in. The earcups...either need a third party solution or apple needs to go back to the drawing board. Currently they are staying in. But hate having to readjust them for noice cancelling.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Biggest issue right now is them staying in. The earcups...either need a third party solution or apple needs to go back to the drawing board. Currently they are staying in. But hate having to readjust them for noice cancelling.
I have one ear canal that is very large. I would like Apple to exclude an XL size.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
You have to give them a week before you decide. They feel different at first but the sound improvement and the way they block out sound is worth getting used to.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
You have to give them a week before you decide. They feel different at first but the sound improvement and the way they block out sound is worth getting used to.
I’ve had them two weeks. Due to an extra large right ear canal I have to readjust the right pod occasionally to maintain a complete seal usually while I’m moving around the house. Not a big deal though. I’m considering giving the Sony WF1000MX3 another try.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I ended up returning mine. They weren’t a good gym fit. Decent fit until they got sweaty and started sliding out. Picked up a pair of Powerbeats Pro’s and prefer them for the gym/exercising. I like that they have buttons for volume and play/pause/ff/rw. I was worried they would feel too bulky but they are really comfy and pretty compact. The case on the other hand...:oops:

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Returned mine today for the exact same reason... falling out. I loved the features but they slide out too easily. I had to constantly re-adjust them, and if I’m paying this much for headphones, they better fit perfectly without me having to touch it once to adjust it.

I’ll be buying the Powerbeats Pro when they go on sale again for the gym. I’m sticking with my Sony 1000XM3 for the office even though the mic sucks.

Also, for someone who listens to quality headphones with good amp and dac, the sound quality was very subpar to me. I know you shouldn’t compare, but they were just underwhelming to me. My old Shure se215 have way better sound.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Replevin

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
Also returned mine because they wouldn't stay in my ear. For close to $300, with Apple Care, I was jumping through way too many hoops to keep them in my ear at the gym. I liked the ANC, the ease of use, the transparency mode and I thought the sound was really good for gym use. I've gone with the Jabra Elite 75T for now.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I've decided to return my APP. They're great in SO many ways but the deal breaker was when exercising/sweating, the tips work themselves out enough to break the seal, killing both ANC and audio quality with it. I have to keep pushing them back in every few seconds.

I have since gotten a pair of PBP to test out, and boy what a difference. They stay in my ears and never move, no matter what. To my surprise they sound a lot better too, especially on the low end and a wider sound stage.

While I will probably miss ANC, I found the PBP’s passive noise isolation to be excellent. Overall I’m much happier with these than the APP.

Reactions: EdMan

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I've decided to return my APP. They're great in SO many ways but the deal breaker was when exercising/sweating, the tips work themselves out enough to break the seal, killing both ANC and audio quality with it. I have to keep pushing them back in every few seconds.

I have since gotten a pair of PBP to test out, and boy what a difference. They stay in my ears and never move, no matter what. To my surprise they sound a lot better too, especially on the low end and a wider sound stage.

While I will probably miss ANC, I found the PBP’s passive noise isolation to be excellent. Overall I’m much happier with these than the APP.

Yep. The bee's knees would be the PBP have ANC, Transparency Mode and a case with wireless charging, but I'm pretty happy with them as is. Rock solid fit when working out and they block out a substantial amount of noise without ANC. I can vacuum my house and use a leaf blower with them. Anything louder and I put on ear muffs which I've done with AirPods to good effect.

Reactions: Glideslope and ATC

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Loving mine at the gym, guess I got lucky on fit. No slipping and ANC is great for avoiding all the exercise class electronic music. My original ap’s slipped out all the time. And so far not a hitch connecting with aw5.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019
I returned mine today. Got a full refund, also full refund on AppleCare+. Things just didn’t feel right with the APP, the failing ANC, the negative seal test and changing character of the sound with the latest firmware update.

I did get a replacement yesterday. However, the build quality of the left AirPod was pretty poor, I could see and feel residual glue on the seems of the AirPod. Not so PRO imo. Lol. Do miss the convenience of the APP though. Will wait for next gen APP.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Yep my 5th set are going back as the rightpod has developed a high pitched feedback noise that is constant and gets louder if I touch or adjust the stalk.
It’s the most unreliable and poorly made Apple product ever based on my experience

Last edited:
Reactions: 0194839

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I returned mine today. Got a full refund, also full refund on AppleCare+. Things just didn’t feel right with the APP, the failing ANC, the negative seal test and changing character of the sound with the latest firmware update.

I did get a replacement yesterday. However, the build quality of the left AirPod was pretty poor, I could see and feel residual glue on the seems of the AirPod. Not so PRO imo. Lol. Do miss the convenience of the APP though. Will wait for next gen APP.
I think they rushed them to market in time for Xmas hence the poor build quality. If people have the same issues that i have had, I can see hundred of thousands of Pros being returned to Apple

Reactions: Glideslope

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
I picked up the new AirPods today hoping for something that would “wow” me enough to justify the cost. My v1 AirPods have worked flawless since day one but I wanted something new after using them for almost two years. Well, the new AirPods are nice but they definitely require a little more finagling every time I put them in my ears. Strike one.... Maybe it’s just my 51 year old ears being worn out but I barely notice any difference in sound quality between old and new. Strike two.... The $250 price tag was a hard pill to swallow but I gave it a shot. But in the end, coughing up $250, negligible difference in improved sound quality and the extra effort involved each and every time I insert them them in my ears. Strike three....

They’re going back. Anyone else in a similar situation?
They are not geared toward audiophiles just everyday people or ones which like bling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.