Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Mine are going back. They are really uncomfortable to use! I never had any issues with my previous Gen 2s but these are just brutal. I've tried using different size tips and I guess these just aren't for me.

Reactions: BMox81

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
The lack soft ear tips was a drawback for me. Got my APP 2 hours ago and I'll leave my wired Shure 535s in the case. The easy switching between the Mac, iPad, & iPhone is seamless. These are great earbuds and I'm definitely keeping them!

Scott65

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Maybe I am just clueless about these new Airpod Pros but I don't see any way of just tapping the side to answer a call like I used to with my old Airpods. Is that still possible? I travel through airports a lot. Between rolling a bag behind me and carrying a briefcase I love that I can just tap on the side of my already in-ear airpods and answer a call. I can also hang up that same way too. It doesn't seem as though I can do that with these. What am I missing?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
You don’t tap the APP’s. You lightly press the stem. The user guide that comes with them explains it.
[automerge]1577481582[/automerge]
It seems like people coming from AirPods 1 and 2 aren't happy with AirPods Pro. I wonder how people haven't ever had AirPods feel about the AirPods Pro.
I had airpods 1&2. I love my APP’s. Sound is better than AP 1&2. Noise cancelling is excellent. They’re not suited to everyone just as AP 1&2 aren’t.

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Maybe I am just clueless about these new Airpod Pros but I don't see any way of just tapping the side to answer a call like I used to with my old Airpods. Is that still possible? I travel through airports a lot. Between rolling a bag behind me and carrying a briefcase I love that I can just tap on the side of my already in-ear airpods and answer a call. I can also hang up that same way too. It doesn't seem as though I can do that with these. What am I missing?
That feature didn’t carry over. It surprised me Apple didn’t include it since they taught us to do that with 1&2. I liked it, preferred it to squeezing the stem, but some, maybe most don’t care or prefer the squeeze.

Reactions: Scott65

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I ultimately returned mine only because I felt bad about spending $250 on a pair after just spending $179 on the second generation AirPods in March.

However, I really miss them and am excited to purchased whatever spec update they make to them in 2020/2021.

adamk77

Suspended
Jan 6, 2008
After having used it daily for over a month, I'm returning mine after a love-hate relationship.

I loved the convenience and the NC feature so much that I was willing to live with them. Pain points:

- Annoying ear-pain because of it pushing against my left-ear cartilage.
- Apple TV volume control not working unless I disconnect & reconnect.
- Inconsistent pairing on all my devices, especially sound from only one side.
- Horrible audio and mic quality when connected to my Mac Mini.

The thing that broke the camel's back - I could not get the battery indicator to pop up on my iPhone after opening the case's lid no matter what I tried. The sound was only working on the left pair. I suspected maybe one of the pairs wasn't charged, because this happened to me a couple times in the past and I just assumed it was because of dust, debris etc in the case. However, I could not verify whether it was a charging issue or a pairing issue because I could not get the battery indicator to appear.

After wasting a lot more time than I would have liked on the issue (disconnect/reconnect, forget device/repair, repositioning the airpods in the case, rebooting my phone etc), it started working again all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
After having used it daily for over a month, I'm returning mine after a love-hate relationship.

I loved the convenience and the NC feature so much that I was willing to live with them. Pain points:

- Annoying ear-pain because of it pushing against my left-ear cartilage.
- Apple TV volume control not working unless I disconnect & reconnect.
- Inconsistent pairing on all my devices, especially sound from only one side.
- Horrible audio and mic quality when connected to my Mac Mini.

The thing that broke the camel's back - I could not get the battery indicator to pop up on my iPhone after opening the case's lid no matter what I tried. The sound was only working on the left pair. I suspected maybe one of the pairs wasn't charged, because this happened to me a couple times in the past and I just assumed it was because of dust, debris etc in the case. However, I could not verify whether it was a charging issue or a pairing issue because I could not get the battery indicator to appear.

After wasting a lot more time than I would have liked on the issue (disconnect/reconnect, forget device/repair, repositioning the airpods in the case, rebooting my phone etc), it started working again all of a sudden.
Deleted

ChronicLynx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
I've been thinking about returning mine as well. When they work, they work wonderfully. However, I've been having far too many seemingly software related issues that definitely should not exist - especially for the $250 asking price. @adamk77 is spot on.

I find that the build quality is a bit suspect on mine as well. Check out the seams on your AirPods and you may find it's not completely aligned EXACTLY the same on both sides. Very minor, but I expect a certain degree of perfection at this price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

adamk77

Suspended
Jan 6, 2008
I've been thinking about returning mine as well. When they work, they work wonderfully. However, I've been having far too many seemingly software related issues that definitely should not exist - especially for the $250 asking price. @adamk77 is spot on.

I find that the build quality is a bit suspect on mine as well. Check out the seams on your AirPods and you may find it's not completely aligned EXACTLY the same on both sides. Very minor, but I expect a certain degree of perfection at this price point.

I would have lived with all of the issues had it not been for the problem of no audio on one side combined with no battery indicator, which made it difficult to diagnose the problem. This is coming from a technical person who works in the industry. I wasted too much time on it when I needed it to work.

I'm going to pick up one of the fake Airpods for $30 and wait for the Sony WH-1000XM4 rumored to be announced during CES 2020.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I ultimately returned mine only because I felt bad about spending $250 on a pair after just spending $179 on the second generation AirPods in March.

However, I really miss them and am excited to purchased whatever spec update they make to them in 2020/2021.

This is me. I LOVE the Pro’s but I too feel bad about spending close to $300 by the time I bought AC+ and taxes after spending $200 in March.

I have til the 14th to return them to Best Buy thanks to being an Elite Plus member this year.

Eager to see the spec bump on these in the next year or two, as well.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I would have lived with all of the issues had it not been for the problem of no audio on one side combined with no battery indicator,

Those are isolated issues though, which shouldn’t happen with a new set. I would’ve thought your other listed issues were the main ones - pain in your ear means the design doesn’t suit you, so it’d be understandable if you gave up on them for this reason.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
Returned mine yesterday as the right ear AirPod Pro frequently lost connection. I’ll be purchasing another pair as I loved them when they worked. Hopefully they don’t exhibit the same issue.

Does Apple tend to address these issues with newer builds?

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Returned mine yesterday as the right ear AirPod Pro frequently lost connection. I’ll be purchasing another pair as I loved them when they worked. Hopefully they don’t exhibit the same issue.

Does Apple tend to address these issues with newer builds?

IMO, I don't think there are any hardware issues with the new APP other than perhaps changing the composition of the silicon tips. Everything I read IMO, points to typical Apple rushing a product out with immature firmware, and the "what's todays iOS 13 bug?" issues. iOS 13 is still a mess , and any device interfacing with it is going to need allot of support to mature. :apple:

Reactions: ChronicLynx

ChronicLynx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
Seems like rushed firmware to me as well. Today I put my APP in and switched them from Transparency to Noise Cancelling. Only one bud switched to Noise Cancelling until I took them out and put them back in again. What a mess.

Jolly-boo

macrumors member
May 8, 2012
Story time!

Initially I returned mine (bought from Apple). The noice cancellation created a sort of pressure in my head that in the near two weeks I had them on, I could not get accustomed to. So I returned them.

And then I realized that here in Norway, earphones and headphones had recently been classified as a hygiene product, meaning, you cannot return them if you try them on (except with Apple). This means that it is impossible to try out any of the other noice cancelling earphones - all of which are pretty expensive.

So I made the decision to repurchase the AirPods Pro - took a leap of faith that I would get accustomed to them. And it's been a much better experience this time around. Though that is probably due to the fact that I use noice-cancellation sparingly. Last time, I would use them at the office (relatively quiet place), even at home. I would have it on constantly. And now I don't. And when I'm out in the city, at the gym, wherever, the noice-cancellation doesn't create that sense of pressure anymore.

Maybe it's acclamation. Maybe the discomfort would return if I had the noice-cancellation always on. But I'm glad it worked out. There may be other's earphones that have better noice cancellation or better sound, but the experience of using the AirPods Pro and how seamless it works with all my devices is an experience that is worth it for me.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I returned mine because the sound quality was not enough to justify coming from my AirPods (2nd gen).
The noice cancelling was great but rarely do I actually need it. It worked great on my most recent flight but I rarely fly. The bass is just better on my 2nd gen AirPods and they're just more comfortable.

Reactions: one more

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Went to get a pair for Christmas and they were sold out, so I bought gen 2s. I got a notification they were locally available last night about 8pm. I bought them to pick up today. I am still in the return period for the gen 2s, so i will get these APP today and compare. One pair is going back. These Gen 2s could sit in my ears all day long and never bother me....so comfortable.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I just picked these up and i have a feeling I am returning the Gen 2s and keeping the APP. When I put them both in and the noise cancellation kicked in I literally laughed at home well it was working. I switched to the small tips and they fit better. The bass is better on the APP, IMO.
The only issue I am having after an hour in is I feel them in my ear and not sure how long to can go with this feeling at once. The Gen 2s I could forget they were in my ear. The stem length distance is incredible. I wish I could tap on them to change songs instead of squeezing. Takes more of an effort to change now.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I just picked these up and i have a feeling I am returning the Gen 2s and keeping the APP. When I put them both in and the noise cancellation kicked in I literally laughed at home well it was working. I switched to the small tips and they fit better. The bass is better on the APP, IMO.
The only issue I am having after an hour in is I feel them in my ear and not sure how long to can go with this feeling at once. The Gen 2s I could forget they were in my ear. The stem length distance is incredible. I wish I could tap on them to change songs instead of squeezing. Takes more of an effort to change now.
They aren’t as comfortable as Gen 2 but, I can wear mine for hours in comfort.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Gen 1 and 2 were absolute agony after a few seconds for me, while the APP I can wear for hours and not know they’re there.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I’m not returning because I never bought
in the first place. I don’t want something that deep into my ear canals. I can easily afford them, I just don’t want them.

I just gave in this week and bought 2nd gen AirPods for a steal of a price, new for $100 from an eBay seller (he only had one pair). I like them because of no wires, but I’m not in love with them.

Having to charge yet something else is a bit of a pain in the ass. I’m always worrying I’m going to drop one and my dog is going to eat it. I have to worry about having THREE separate things on me (plus my device) instead of one -the case and each AirPod. Sometimes the connection drops. And the worst, for me, no direct volume control from the AirPods themselves. The only reason I’m keeping them is because I got them for a steal, and I was sick of corded earbuds, so these are an improvement.... but just barely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.