Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xomphos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Just curious. I don't and have lots of scratches on the back. I need reasuring I made the right decision by not getting a case. :)

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Just curious. I don't and have lots of scratches on the back. I need reasuring I made the right decision by not getting a case. :)

I don't have a case. I might get one, but I don't know if I need one. Most of them cover the back - which I don't care about - and do not protect the front.

But then the front is actually pretty sturdy, and is scratch free.

As long as I'm not putting a chainsaw and the iPod in the same pocket, it'll be fine.

All the iPods I've had (minus the iPod nano, as it didn't have the metal back) have become scratch magnets, regardless.

At the end of the day, we're watching the screen, not the back, so it's all good. :)

soul12

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
i don't use a case either. the back has lots of scratches but i don't look at the back anyway. the screen remains unscathed albeit there are smudges which is why i carry the cloth to wipe it off

duraace

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
A case would cancel out the appealing form factor. It's like putting covers on car seats, sofas, doilies on furniture. Not for me. By the time it gets a really worn look, it'll be time to upgrade. Meantime, I'm going to enjoy holding the thin iPod in my oily hands. The screen is very impervious to scratches anyway.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I don't use one. The scratches on the back don't bother me (it retains it's luster even when scratched), and the glass front is near scratch-proof anyway. Why add more bulk to such a sleek device?

druranium

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
adds character

Mine is scratched front and back, though I have managed to stop dropping it lately:rolleyes:. Don't think I'll get a case - I can't keep it pristine forever.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I dont have a case. Frankly, I dont care what the back looks like ( have several scratches and it doesnt bother me)

DocVT

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2006
When I went to sell my MacBook CD on eBay, I got a lot of questions about scratches and fingerprints. People seemed to want new looking MacBooks, even after a year. Hence, I put bestskinsever on my touch to maintain its resale value when it comes time to upgrade.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
As mentioned above I don't really care about sratches and things, however my technology tends to turn over very quickly - so, i'll probably put something on the back of my touch if/when I buy it, to protect it a bit but mainly to keep it scratch free(ish).

Similarly, I most likely will not use the cloth that comes with the touch, i'll keep it in it's packaging, same with the user manual, stickers, and everything else. THen I'll put the whole box (including the plastic rap from the cords and things) into another box to keep it protected, and store it in my closet until the day comes that I want to buy something else :)

JuicyGoo

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
NYC
i dont use a case and I walk around every day with it in hand or in pocket. the cases ruin the form factor to me. the screen and back are surprisingly resistant to my everyday use.

cwolves

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I don't have a case per-say, but I have an invisible shield on mine. Someone asked me the other day why I didn't have a case on it, that it would get all scratched up. I had to point out that it did have something on it. Just goes to show that the invisible shield actually is invisible :)

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I don't use a case, as many have said it ruins the form factor and I don't mind a few scratches

The only reason I could think to get a case would be for resale value (the iPod not the case) ie. to keep it in as good condition as possible for resale

Anewman87

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2007
currently I just use an ipod sock when im carrying it around in my pocket but other than that I dont use a case, the scratches on the back don't bother me and its bound to get scratched up anyways just like previous generations did.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I just use one of the Apple 'socks' I had lying around.

The back will definately get scratched unless you put an invisible shield on from the moment you open the packaging - but it's kept mine fairly scratch free apart from a few hard to notice marks from use. I'd like not to get a case due to it being so slim after using my iPod photo for years.

But I would like to resell one day to upgrade, so taking as best care of it as I can. I use iKlear to properly clean off any oil/marks that build up every week or so, as opposed to using a micro-fibre lens cloth. When it comes time to sell, I hope that it will almost as good as new that a light use of iCleaner or equivalent will bring it back to like-new.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
I hav'nt used a case so far..but I did order the eztouch leather case, plan to use it as a wallet and I kind like that you can flip the cover over to use it as a stand, I use the video alot and so it will be nice not to have to fish out the little stand everytime. plus the touch is so thin I am wanting just a little more thickness...I mean the thiness is cool allowing for alittle something without it being bulky...I'll have to report back after I actually have it though.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
No case here either. I use my iPhone everyday, and it's always in my pocket.

EDIT: Oops, thought it's an iPhone thread. I don't own an iPod touch. My bad.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I have a screenprotector that I got from wal-mart for a Psp, and it works great for the back. Other than that, just a sock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.