Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Yeah I’m always stunned when tech journalists gloss over promotion as if it’s just a nice to have. It is completely game-changing In the same way that retina was for me - i still have a few products (iMac, XDR) which are 60hz and it feels like I’m pushing the cursor through mud. Really hope we get 120hz desktop monitors soon with TB5.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah I’m always stunned when tech journalists gloss over promotion as if it’s just a nice to have. It is completely game-changing In the same way that retina was for me - i still have a few products (iMac, XDR) which are 60hz and it feels like I’m pushing the cursor through mud. Really hope we get 120hz desktop monitors soon with TB5.

Retina is a must-have for me but I don't care much about ProMotion. I can easily switch between M1 iPP, Air 5 and Mini 6 display without issue.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
+1.

Sometimes I wonder if there’s something wrong with the eyes of those (like my wife) who say they don’t see any difference between devices that have 120Hz and those that don’t.

The main reason I chose Pro over Air is ProMotion.

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
+1.

Sometimes I wonder if there’s something wrong with the eyes of those (like my wife) who say they don’t see any difference between devices that have 120Hz and those that don’t.

The main reason I chose Pro over Air is ProMotion.
I absolutely can tell the difference which is why I traded in my 10th gen. My eyes can’t take it any longer. I am keeping my mini though just because I take it around when I am working, and it slips in my purse pretty easily. But my god, my new IPP is a delight.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
I can barely tell the difference but have never cared in the slightest. I have a Macbook Pro M1 and used to have a 12.9" iPad Pro. Currently still using the iPhone 12 PM with 60hz.

Just picked up the iPad Air 13. Screen is awesome.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I absolutely can tell the difference which is why I traded in my 10th gen. My eyes can’t take it any longer. I am keeping my mini though just because I take it around when I am working, and it slips in my purse pretty easily. But my god, my new IPP is a delight.

Indeed. I bought a new iPad mini as well 2 days ago. Great form-factor but I am going to certainly sell it off/trade it for 120Hz or even 90Hz screen whenever Apple releases Gen 7.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
It's very difficult going back, that's for sure. I was configuring an iPhone without ProMotion for a friend, and I was kind of stunned at how unsmooth everything felt. ProMotion has definitely spoiled me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple held it back from the Air to keep Pro sales up for existing Pro customers, but maybe there are technical or cost reasons.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
It does seem like its a case where Apple is leaving it out to increase the gap between the Air and the Pro, and not because there is a significant cost for providing the feature. Now that the Pro model is OLED, it would be a good time to bring 120 Hz LCD to the mid-level option.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
It's very difficult going back, that's for sure. I was configuring an iPhone without ProMotion for a friend, and I was kind of stunned at how unsmooth everything felt. ProMotion has definitely spoiled me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple held it back from the Air to keep Pro sales up for existing Pro customers, but maybe there are technical or cost reasons.

Ya I think the average consumer just doesn't care. People are looking at the Air and Pro side by side in the store and for some reason the Air is still selling. Most don't care. I'm sure Apple has data on this.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I would love to buy a MacBook Air because it is lighter weight and has all the computing power I need, but after using a mini-LED HDR ProMotion display for more than two years, there's no way I could give up all those things. Looking at the MacBook Air in the store the display was very underwhelming to me. I'm sure the same is true of the iPads. Once you're used to the superior display technology, you can't downgrade. 120 Hz/OLED are the future. I'm done with 60Hz LCD panels on these expensive Apple devices. I won't be going back to one.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
One of reasons I returned the mini 6 for the pro was the pro-motion! Scrolling text was just unbearable to my eyes on the mini.
Scrolling looks horrible on the mini 6 due to the display controller. One reason why I returned it and got a mini 5 instead (had a mini 4 before).

Reactions: PaperMag

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Tbh, 60fps looks really bad on iphones and ipads. Seems to be just fine on my mba and my cinema display. Really odd. I think apple does it on purpose.

I actually think 60hz on an iPhone/iPad looks better that is does on an Android device. It's smooth for some reason.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Regular backlit 60hz LED/LCD panels are a crime against technology in 2024. But then again so are 120hz mini-LED MacBook screens with a one hour pixel response time. Apple is always a day late and a dollar short. Hope the new OLED iPad screens prove to be durable long term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.