Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
After being used to pro motion on my 13 PM and M1 IPad Pro i am not going back to Air. I wont upgrade my M1 for few more years but when I do, iPad needs to have pro motion And nicer screens.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
Oh boy I’m so pumped for the 11 inch pro that arrives tomorrow. Currently using a 2022 iPad Air and I forgot that the pros have promotion displays. The air will be a nice gift for my mum, she’s still using a super old base iPad with homebutton. A 2017 one I think? I think she will be happy with the air

Reactions: welles13

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
Spouse's had an M1 iPad Air since launch.. My iPad Pro 11inch just arrived.

A great upgrade! I love the redesign, OLED, thinness and form factor. Space Black looks so cool, too.

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Just remember the target audience for the Air don’t require the latest and greatest display.

But it really should have the mini-LED from the previous iPad Pro.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Seriously, when a 6-year-old iPad Pro looks better than a new Air that's a problem. ProMotion is *that* good and *that* necessary. Not sure how I ever thought I could do without it.

It is because you are used to it by now. I use iPhone 15 and iPad Air 5 and do not blink much about not having ProMotion on either of them. I will welcome its eventual arrival to a non-Pro line, but will not upgrade just for that. FWIW, I have tried both iPad Pro 11” and Air 5 at Apple Store just before getting one and could not see much, if any, difference in performing common tasks.

Reactions: aurora_sect

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Seriously, when a 6-year-old iPad Pro looks better than a new Air that's a problem. ProMotion is *that* good and *that* necessary. Not sure how I ever thought I could do without it.
Agreed. I have been using an iPad Pro since 2017 and ProMotion is the main reason. Once I saw it, I could never go back. Same thing on the iPhone. It's the only reason I stick to the Pro. I love my daughter's iPad 10, except no ProMotion is glaringly obvious. I think from a business perspective, it makes a ton of sense for Apple to have the current iPad lineup, as it offers lots of size and spec differences, and they all finally have the same form factor, but Apple has certainly drawn a stark line between the Air and Pro. Air is great, if you've never had a Pro, but ProMotion is the deal breaker for me. Everyone's mileage may vary.

Reactions: welles13

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I must be the only person who doesn’t really notice promotion
I don't notice ProMotion difference either between my 5th gen IPP 12.9 vs my daughter's M1 iPad Air 11. I also didn't think ProMotion was all that evident on my iPhone 13 Pro.

That's not to say I don't notice 120Hz at all. I didn't notice much difference on my Fold4 but finally see a meaningful difference on my Fold5. On my M1 IPP 12.9, not so much.

I was tempted to trade-in for a new Air 13 but reality is an old IPP 12.9 still beats the new Air 13.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I can barely tell the difference but have never cared in the slightest. I have a Macbook Pro M1 and used to have a 12.9" iPad Pro. Currently still using the iPhone 12 PM with 60hz.

Just picked up the iPad Air 13. Screen is awesome.
30 hz is good enough for me. same with SSD speed, I'm ok with what a micro SD can give me. the apple premium is not worth it for the "extra" specs they give. all over kill. and I'm ok with a iOS "blown up" calculator, I don't need a perfect iPad calculator, what ever apple has planned.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2022
This is the trap I’m in. I have a 2017 12.9” pro, would like to upgrade, but my 2017 is still okay apart from needing to be plugged in and it starting to slightly show its age when using apps.

I would want to be an Air buyer, as it is now 13” and M2 would be a massive upgrade on the A10X chip. The price is the same as what I paid for my Pro.

However, ProMotion is the one feature that I think I’d miss if I moved to the Air, and my current use means I’m not compelled to pay the price of the 13” Pro.

Therefore, I am trapped between models.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
This is the trap I’m in. I have a 2017 12.9” pro, would like to upgrade, but my 2017 is still okay apart from needing to be plugged in and it starting to slightly show its age when using apps.

I would want to be an Air buyer, as it is now 13” and M2 would be a massive upgrade on the A10X chip. The price is the same as what I paid for my Pro.

However, ProMotion is the one feature that I think I’d miss if I moved to the Air, and my current use means I’m not compelled to pay the price of the 13” Pro.

Therefore, I am trapped between models.
Tim’s gotcha!
IMG_4319.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.