Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That's exactly what im doing. Hoping the rumours are true about the larger screen on the next version. No issues with my 14 pro max but if the upgrades on the 16 look tempting enough, I'll happily move over.

We have a very similar set of devices lol. I got an 11" iPad Pro, and and same spec m2 mba as well lol

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
That's exactly what im doing. Hoping the rumours are true about the larger screen on the next version. No issues with my 14 pro max but if the upgrades on the 16 look tempting enough, I'll happily move over.

We have a very similar set of devices lol. I got an 11" iPad Pro, and and same spec m2 mba as well lol
I just don’t see a valid reason to upgrade right now, from a 14 Pro Max.

One rumoured feature of the 16 Pro Max (the action button being used as a focus and shoot button) really would be great.

My battery health is also great on my 14 Pro Max (96) so I really would be spending money, just for the sake of it.

But you know how Apple gets you, with it‘s sleek advertising!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I just don’t see a valid reason to upgrade right now, from a 14 Pro Max.

One rumoured feature of the 16 Pro Max (the action button being used as a focus and shoot button) really would be great.

My battery health is also great on my 14 Pro Max (96) so I really would be spending money, just for the sake of it.

But you know how Apple gets you, with it‘s sleek advertising!
yup mines sitting at 94% but I never really trust that thing. It was at 100% until December and suddenly dropped 6% in a month lol

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have the 14 Pro. I only upgrade if there is something new I want/need or my phone is done. Neither is accurate, so I will hold on to my 14. My phone is the last device I would ever consider upgrading as long as it functions. It's not important to me other than to make calls and receive messages.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Upgrade schmupgrade. Think replace or continue.

I had a 12 Pro Max and only just this week got a 15PM because the 12 is so bad for battery replacement. I went 4 years on my 7Plus and only upgraded because it was having trouble starting up.

I'm on my 8th iPhone since 2007. Its still costs too much, but i never feel like the phone can't do what I need.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm on the 11 Pro Max and I'm waiting for the iPhone 17 or 18. I've only had about three years on my 11PM and that's nothing compared to how long I've waited at other times in the past.

Want to get my use out of this phone and as it's still receiving iOS updates I'm not done with it yet.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I have a 14 Pro Max, I wasn’t going to upgrade until next year, absolutely nothing wrong with my phone and I feel like it’s a minimal upgrade to the 15 Pro Max.
If it wasn’t for the fact that I was able to get a 15 Pro Max for a steal, I would have kept my 14 Pro Max. (I still use my 14 Pro Max for my other phone line)

nathasnajperowa

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
I keep 14pm until 16pm due to rumors about graphene cooling system which could handle the gpu power.
Also AI and rewamped Siri for new model, additional capture button for video shooting.
Couldn’t also pass with failed 15pm bend test from JerryRigEverything.
Considering the main camera system and display spec with top brightness are the same with 14pm and 15pm I count on upgraded spec for 16pm.
This is the first year I kept previous model and honestly no regrets

TCohen1140

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Have 14 max pro now, and looking to go to 16 pro, if the slightly bigger screen size is true. Max is just a hair too big.

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Still on 13 pro. 14 was very underwhelming and even 15 might as well be 13S. From the looks of it the next big upgrade is going to be the 17

• Love
Reactions: 17fox

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I am on 13 PM, battery around 90%. Will replace battery when it’s time, and probably upgrade to iPhone 18 or 19. I usually buy new iPhones every 6 years. Upgrade from 7 plus to 13 PM was mind blowing.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
iphone 12 pro max here, was going to upgrade to a 16 pro max, but I cannot live with a floating dynamic island especially when watching TV Shows & movies.

I am holding out for the iphone 17 or 18 pro max to do away with the face id camera, making the dynamic island a smaller footprint & will upgrade again to a full screen iphone which will completely submerge the dynamic island whenever that happens.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
How about you?

I don’t see much of an upgrade right now.
What phone did you have before the 14PM? Did it felt like an big upgrade?

iPhone releases used to be huge in the early days, now it is just 3-5% refinements. If you want to spend to money, do it but I‘d rather spend it for a nice holiday.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Late adopter... Purchased iPhone 14 Pro Max in April 2023... Currently showing 99% battery health on Settings... Have not counter-checked with Coconut Battery on macOS...

I used to purchase old models when new ones get introduced... Purchased iPhone 7 Plus brand new, a 2016 model in November 2020... Prior to that I have purchased multiple pre-owned/second hand units to experience older iOS versions and to experience owning the unit as if I got it on the release period/year...

When I had enough money to purchase a new model outright/full payment and not installment, I was deciding between iPhone 13 Pro Max vs iPhone 14 Pro Max, older model with bigger storage compared to newer model with smaller storage for nearly the same price... I decided to go with the newer model...

Several months later after iPhone 15 series was announced and available for purchase, I keep going back to the iPhone comparison page and for me, the changes introduced in the iPhone 15 Pro Max are not that compelling to me...

USB Type C and USB 3.2 speeds are nice to have but I can get by with AirDrop, although it seems to get more unreliable by the day, enough free space on the receiving device but transfer fails, and other data transfer issues...

5x optical zoom leaves anything between 1x and 5x to be digital zoom/crop which I don't like... Another reason that I went with iPhone 14 Pro Max than iPhone 13 Pro Max, even though both uses 2x digital zoom, because the newer one has 48MP sensor, to me it is still the better choicce... Will Apple go the Samsung way with more cameras? We'll see...

Ability to save directly to an external storage is nice to have but the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro both max out to 4K 30fps ProRes when relying on the internal storage and I don't shoot in ProRes or Cinematic mode...

I have seen videos about Smart HDR 4 and Smart HDR 5 but it seems to me that even if you upgrade iPhone 14 Pro Max to iOS 17.x it would still be using Smart HDR 4 so I kept it at iOS 16.7 since even though iPhone 14 Pro can handle iOS 17.x fine, iOS 16 was designed with iPhone 14 Pro in mind...

iPhone 13 Pro Max has bigger aperture compared to iPhone 14 Pro Max when it comes to the wide and ultra wide cameras but it seems to have been negated or at least as close to due to the 48MP sensor on the iPhone 14 Pro Max...

The notch on the iPhone 13 series is narrower yet taller but seeing a uniform bezel and a punch hole/Dynamic Island made me go with iPhone 14 Pro Max...

I was also debating between the iPhone 13 mini and a bigger newer model to either relive the iPhone 4/4s/5/5c/5s/SE 2016 days or get a bigger longer lasting battery... I may do that since I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max which I purchased pre-owned after getting the iPhone 14 Pro Max although I will lose the ability to shoot ProRAW and HDR video with Dolby Vision and I am not counting the iPhone 12 series since it introduced 5G but with smaller battery compared to the iPhone 11 series...

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
Rumours point to a size bump across all models. If you like the 6.1- or 6.7-inch size you could consider upgrading now.
Well, surely there will be i15 models still available after the iPhone 16 announcement. No need to upgrade yet.

Reactions: Al Rukh

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
iphone 12 pro max here, was going to upgrade to a 16 pro max, but I cannot live with a floating dynamic island especially when watching TV Shows & movies.

I am holding out for the iphone 17 or 18 pro max to do away with the face id camera, making the dynamic island a smaller footprint & will upgrade again to a full screen iphone which will completely submerge the dynamic island whenever that happens.
I upgraded from my 12 Pro Max to my 14 Pro Max, at launch.

The 15 Pro Max is not much of an upgrade, but I will get the 16 Pro Max.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018

I have no plan to upgrade my 2018 11" iPad Pro, until it no longer receives updates.

Works perfectly for my needs.

Wishing you well.

Reactions: 17fox

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
As someone who upgraded from the 14PM to the 15PM I would advise you to wait. There is nothing on the 15 that is worth upgrading... If you made it past the keynote and the excitement around pre-orders and delivery dates (that's where they always get me) then you can hold off till the 16.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.