Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Have 14 max pro now, and looking to go to 16 pro, if the slightly bigger screen size is true. Max is just a hair too big.
I’m in the same boat. Hoping the standard pro phones get a battery life boost. It’s a big difference from the pro to pro max.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Have a 13 PM with 88% battery life. Will most likely upgrade battery to make it last another ~2~3 yrs or so, unless 16 PM or 17 PM shows some sort of worthwhile change to make the upgrade. The previous iPhone was the 8 Plus.
People can spend their money however they wish.
Don't care about the FOMO or having the 'latest' tech insecurity & wants.
At the end of the day, it's just an iPhone, a piece of technology & it fits my Needs.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
14P to 15PM. Can’t know what lies ahead, but plan is likely to go for the smaller 16 pro.

Reactions: danb1979

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
No hurry here. I was still happily using my 8+ until last May (2023). We had a big vacation coming up which would take us into some very remote areas in the western US. The feature that finally convinced me to upgrade was the satellite SOS on the 14PM. That was reassuring to have on the road. Glad to see they've expanded that feature availability to the base 15 model. That's a really valuable and compelling offer for those who like to road trip.

But upgrading now would mean what? A few incremental updates? Sure, USB-C will be nice going forward, but I have a drawerful of spare Lightning cables so I'm good there for a while. I just don't see enough of an ROI to justify the spend. I like my 14PM, no reason to change any time soon.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
No hurry here. I was still happily using my 8+ until last May (2023). We had a big vacation coming up which would take us into some very remote areas in the western US. The feature that finally convinced me to upgrade was the satellite SOS on the 14PM. That was reassuring to have on the road. Glad to see they've expanded that feature availability to the base 15 model. That's a really valuable and compelling offer for those who like to road trip.

But upgrading now would mean what? A few incremental updates? Sure, USB-C will be nice going forward, but I have a drawerful of spare Lightning cables so I'm good there for a while. I just don't see enough of an ROI to justify the spend. I like my 14PM, no reason to change any time soon.

It was my losing my only USB to lightning cable the other day that really peed me off and decided to buy the 15PM there and then via Amazon haha...

Obviously I found the bloody cable later that evening (stuck behind my desk between it and the wall)

But now everything I have is USB C it makes life easier in that sense.

Still need the lightning cable for my Apple magic keyboards and track pads etc (Magsafe charger for my iPhone but wanted to do a full back up to my Mac etc)

Plus I sold my 14PM on eBay for £875 yesterday so the upgrades cost me a few £hundred which I'm more than happy with...

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Definitely hold out, OP. We’re approaching mid-cycle. Assuming your phone is good to go, you’ll likely appreciate the 16PM more.

That being said, I am very happy about USB-C this series. Not upgrade worthy on its own, but it’s something I appreciate every time I grab a charger or connect to CarPlay. No more cable swapping.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I have no plan to upgrade my 2018 11" iPad Pro, until it no longer receives updates.

Works perfectly for my needs.

Wishing you well.
My 11" is the M1 pro but my first ipad pro device and wont be upgrading anytime soon either. Just another device i like to travel with for work with cellular. Also another great portable gaming device. Waiting for warzone mobile to come out for it and really enjoy it lol

Sanmi

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2023
yup mines sitting at 94% but I never really trust that thing. It was at 100% until December and suddenly dropped 6% in a month lol
Use coconut battery for the exact battery health
It might actually be way higher

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
my 14pm is still great with no issues, but im going to being upgrading to the 16 pro regular size. after 1 year of use im sick and tired of this size. i wouldn't mind downsizing, even if it means i get a little less battery life.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
As someone who upgraded from the 14PM to the 15PM I would advise you to wait. There is nothing on the 15 that is worth upgrading... If you made it past the keynote and the excitement around pre-orders and delivery dates (that's where they always get me) then you can hold off till the 16.....
I concur. Being a filmmaker, I also upgraded to 15 PM from 14 PM and aside from a slightly better camera experience and Apple Log video, there is nothing that compelling. Also, I still prefer the steel case over titanium, even though heavier.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I'm on the 11 Pro Max and I'm waiting for the iPhone 17 or 18. I've only had about three years on my 11PM and that's nothing compared to how long I've waited at other times in the past.

Want to get my use out of this phone and as it's still receiving iOS updates I'm not done with it yet.
I’m on 11 Pro Max as well. Battery health @ 87%… bbbbuutt it lasts all day! Who knew? Best battery I’ve ever experienced in an iPhone. Launch day phone. It’s immaculate and is used daily for everything, games, productivity, calls, light editing, reading, videos, music and miscellaneous. All day battery even at 87%. 1st iPhone was the 3GS, launch day. 5th iPhone in total for me. Midnight Green. Love this thing. Going in my collection when I retire it.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I’m on 11 Pro Max as well. Battery health @ 87%… bbbbuutt it lasts all day! Who knew? Best battery I’ve ever experienced in an iPhone. Launch day phone. It’s immaculate and is used daily for everything, games, productivity, calls, light editing, reading, videos, music and miscellaneous. All day battery even at 87%. 1st iPhone was the 3GS, launch day. 5th iPhone in total for me. Midnight Green. Love this thing. Going in my collection when I retire it.
87% is impressive for a launch day. I had to replace the battery on my sons last year after it hit 78% lol

Reactions: blkjedi954

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
When I skip out on the annual upgrade I get a (nice) new case instead. I’m on 14P and got in on the last run of Apple leather cases instead of upgrading to 15P. Will definitely go for 16P with ACMI though.

Reactions: phrekaru

M0rtalW0mbat1997

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2023
I am on the 14 pro because i thought i would appreciate the small size because I’ve always had that size and I even tried and liked the mini but my wife with little hands only wants pro max sizes and after seeing how long the battery lasts and how much better the content consumption is on the device I can’t wait to get a 16 pro max I also have big hands🤣🤣

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I got the 15 Pro Max as an upgrade from my 12 Pro Max and ... wow. Wife (also has a 12Pro Max) and I too basically same picture in front of Christmas tree - lighting is wonky due to tree compared with room lights. The 12 Pro Max looks a bit grainy, the 15 Pro Max looks INCREDIBLE.

Longest I've ever gone between upgrades (work phone is still a 13 Mini) and such a clear upgrade.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Im on the 13 pro max, great phone but will more than likely upgrade to 16pm
Indeed the 13 PM is, and if mine hadn't been stolen I would have kept it through the 16 and maybe 17. As it is I am quite pleased with the 15 PM and plan to keep it for as long as I can.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Hope they improve the quality of the telephoto lens. Video quality is noticeably bad compared to the main and wide angle lens.

It will be great if they can increase the resolution for a 3x zoom with 5x cropped zoom.

Reactions: transpo1

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I just bought a refurbished 14 Pro Max and think it's possibly the best iPhone I've ever had! My first one was the 3GS if I recall. It's my first ever plus sized iPhone, and I really appreciate the larger screen and I can kinda one had some of it with finger gymnastics. My hands fit it fine. And I haven't found it to be too big in my pockets yet either.

Also I'm enjoying the Dynamic Island features too.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Hope they improve the quality of the telephoto lens. Video quality is noticeably bad compared to the main and wide angle lens.

It will be great if they can increase the resolution for a 3x zoom with 5x cropped zoom.
I have the 15 PM coming from 14 PM and I have to say, I miss the native 3x telephoto lens. 5x is nice but as someone else mentioned, the quality is just not great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.