Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 8.26.13 PM.png

Hi All,

I'm using Yosemite on my MBP (see pic for details).

I am a light user; browsing, word, excel, music etc.

I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user.

I have not yet considered updating to any other OS X, even though I have read on this Forum that my MBP will support HS.

I am considering a 'clean install' of Yosemite, just to refresh the MBP a bit.

Who else is using Yosemite in 2018?

I am curious about the reasons.

Also looking forward to hear about lil details about Yosemite that you find better suited to your needs.

TIA.

Last edited:

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Im using it because my battery life on my rMBP is terrible and it dies quickly on anything other than Yosemite. plus its so stable and everything is fine, no need to update.

Reactions: MBP_187

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Thank you for your reply m4v3r1ck .

I have only used this OS X, and find it quiet pleasant to use.

I have recently started using the Dark theme. I was uncomfortable with the fonts and have installed Lucida Grande fonts system wide. Really like the new font! Much easier to read.

Any Yosemite Tweaks/Tips you might offer?

Thanks in Advance :)

Last edited:

tigerandyx9

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
London, UK
I'm also using Yosemite. I find it super stable and everything runs as it should.
This month I tried using HS but found problems with volume directories and incompatibility with other volumes running Yosemite and Mavericks.
Since I'd made several cloned backups, using SuperDuper, I went back and erased HS.
I've a Macbook Air 13" 2014 w 500GB SSD.
Next weeks will be erasing everything, reformatting and doing a clean install of Yosemite in two of the volumes.
Btw, I've kept USB thumb drive copies of Yosemite and Mavericks which combined with USB thumbs of key utilities, Disk Warrior and Techtool ++, let me fix most situations I encounter.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
OS X Yosemite is now unsupported so there are no longer security updates released. Later this year upon the release of macOS 10.14 the same will apply to El Capitan.
Yosemite has now missed out on two Safari updates so it is essential to use Firefox, Opera or Chrome for sensitive tasks such as online banking.
There will come a time when it is no longer viable to run Yosemite when third part software vendors no longer offer support. This happened when I was running Snow Leopard. A great release of the platform perhaps the best but support has dried up. You can no longer run Steam. Web Browsing is limited to Firefox 45 ESR. Dropbox support has ended etc. I think you get the picture. It will become an issue in Yosemite as third party support has already started to dry up on Mavericks so be aware.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I am still using Yosemite on my work MBP, but will be upgrading soon, only due to the need for a higher version of iOS supported in the XCode Simulator for testing code on mobile. If I had a physical iOS device for testing, I would have no need to update.
For my personal daily driver laptop, like many other folks who are active in the PowerPC Mac forum, I still use OSX 10.5 Leopard (using that to post here as we speak).
I generally notice that third party support lasts a considerable time past Apple's support, for OS versions that are the last to be supported by a significant number of machines. Since every Mac that supports Yosemite also supports El Capitan, I don't expect Yosemite to receive good long-term support purely based on that trend.

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
View attachment 753338

Hi All,

I'm using Yosemite on my MBP (see pic for details).

I am a light user; browsing, word, excel, music etc.

I feel comfortable using Yosemite; its the only OS X I have used, being a former (life long)windows user.

I have not yet considered updating to any other OS X, even though I have read on this Forum that my MBP will support HS.

I am considering a 'clean install' of Yosemite, just to refresh the MBP a bit.

Who else is using Yosemite in 2018?

I am curious about the reasons.

Also looking forward to hear about lil details about Yosemite that you find better suited to your needs.

TIA.
Hello MBP_187,
I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac 21.5" late 2009 with 4GB moemory 1067 MHz DDR3. At Apple's prompting (via App Store and being a loyal OS X devotee), I trustingly updated to El Capitan and instantly regretted my gullibility (i.e. unswerving faith in Apple and its marketed devotion to user 'ease of use'). Several irreplaceable non Apple software WOULD NO LONGER WORK! An example is "MPEG Streamclip", a uniquely versatile, open source video manipulation software for which there is NO COMMERCIAL EQUIVALENT! Additionally, such universal graphics programs as Photoshop Elements (Ver. 8) were so severely mutilated in functionalality as to be UNUSABLE! All this pain and expense to use the formally reliable and trusted, "user friendly" OS X 10.11.x and later. I don’t think so!

My faith in Apple was, and remains, shaken to its core! Apple, give your faithful supporters options to use older OS X versions on their Macintosh platforms, IF THEY NEED TO DO SO! Do not dictate usage paramitres in the ARROGANT way that Microsoft does! The entire appeal of Apple, its OS X format and compatibility WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac 21.5" late 2009 with 4GB moemory 1067 MHz DDR3. At Apple's prompting (via App Store and being a loyal OS X devotee), I updated to El Capitan and instantly regretted my gullibility (i.e. unswerving faith in Apple and its devotion to user 'ease of use'). Several irreplaceable non Apple software WOULD NO LONGER WORK! An example is MPEG Streamclip, a uniquely versatile, open source video manipulation software for which there is NO COMMERCIAL EQUIVALENT! Additionally, such universal graphics programs as Photoshop Elements (Ver. 8) were so severely mutilated in functionalality as to be UNUSABLE! All this pain to use the formally reliable and trusted, user friendly OS X 10.11.x (and later) - I don’t think so!

My faith in Apple was and remains shaken to its core! Apple, GIVE your faithful supporters options to use older OS X versions IF THEY NEED TO DO SO! Do not dictate OS usage parameters as does Microsoft!

The entire appeal of Apple, its ethos, its OS X format and usability/compatibility WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

I recently purchased a new 2017 iMac 21.5", 2.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, 8GB memory running OS X 10.13.6.

I partitioned the Mac HD so I could clean install Yosemite onto that partition but the ‘ever friendly' Apple Mac OS X displayed a window "That version of OS X cannot be installed on this iMac. It is too old." Apple Inc. is morphing into a Microsoft clone! “CANNOT” is from the Microsoft vocabulary, surely!

I recognise (in principle) that the additional security features inherent in newer OS X versions might be desirable/essential for some high end Mac users: ALL Mac users should be given the opportunity to choose to utilise those features OR NOT, as their software installation installations DEMAND! The money we spend to purchase Apple products is as good as theirs!

As to details about using Yosemite that I prefer, the compatibility of that OS X version with reliable, long serving, completely effective, non Apple software is a deciding factor for me.

In El Capitan, even the task of renaming a sequence of downloaded screen shots (onto the “Desktop" becomes an endless ordeal.
In the "Desktop" window, click on file "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.38.55 am” name tag, for example,
enter new file name (e.g. "Adam's Birthday01"),
click once on the next file in "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at xx.xx.xx" in sequence to be renamed, BEFORE clicking ‘return'
Click "return"
El Capitan forces the cursor onto the just renamed file title bar (e.g. "Adam's Birthday01")
thus NECESSITATING you locating the next file in "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at xx.xx.xx" sequence - wherever it is located in the "Desktop" window.
Extremely frustrating and UTTERLY POINTLESS, APPLE!

I have only read your post today, “MBP_187", and hope my very belated post is helpful.

P.S. A free, open source, comprehensive alternative to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is available at <Apache OpenOffice download | SourceForge.net>. Download ONLY from that official <SourceForge.net> site because other sites may contain hidden adware etc. in the downloads their site provide.
With Apache OpenOffice, here are NO hidden charges, limited licence fees involved: nothing but free, unlimited use of this completely free, fully compatible "MS Office" style software. Further, there are free Apache OpenOffice users forums available via email to advise you with any issues you may encounter. I am a subscriber and have had courteous and detailed advice from fellow AOO users worldwide, whenever I needed it. All free, of course.

All Microsoft Office files will open in AOO. The files that you create or manipulate/update in AOO can be saved in Microsoft readable format, if you so desire.

I hope this helps.

PaulRanger2

Last edited:

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hello MBP_187,

I am running Yosemite 10.10.5 on an iMac 21", late 2009. I upgraded to 'El Capitan' and regretted my decision immediately and deeply. Some purchased and free software I run (e.g. Photoshop Elements 8, MPEG Streamclip) were either not recognised by 10.11 or were so compromised in functionality as to be unusable. Installation of later OS X versions does not (for me) bear thinking about!

When circumstances demand or financial situation permits, I will purchase the latest iMac model and clean reinstall Yosemite, before making whatever exotic OS X version is already installed inoperable. This 10.10.5 version of Mac OS X suits all my needs (non professional/commercial). Later versions of OS X (10.11 and later) demand that later versions of non Apple software be purchased/installed, just to continue to perform as their Mac user purchasers expect and paid for.

Some software, e.g. "MPEG Streamclip" (which is open source and free), is no longer supported/updated by its open source creators (fair enough) but NO commercial video manipulation program with MPEG Streamclip's unique and extensive capabilities is available - all this to suit that version of OS X. I don't think so!

Hoping this helps and reassures.

PaulRanger2

Thank you PaulRanger2! Your reply was reassuring. Although I am using a MBP (late 2011) I still find it comforting to know other systems are still using Yosemite.

Thank you again.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I am using Yosemite in an "unsupported" Macbook Early 2008 4.1 having used to install this hacked OS the tool MacPostFactor.
Since my Mac is unsupported by Apple for anything newer than Lion, I cannot count on support from them although in the past I did receive some Apple Safety patches.:rolleyes:
In my case the reason I am using Yosemite is obvious.
Too many applications do not run in Lion and Yosemite (although hacked and performing with some limitations), allows me a greater choice of still working applications. :)
I must admit I wonder that a 10 year old computer still works as reasonably OK as this old Macbook.;)
I could even install the newest Windows 10 1803 with Bootcamp in a part of my (upgraded) inner SSD drive! :p
All my old Windows computers have died in the meantime but not this old Macbook 4.1.
Apple seems to have used better hardware than Acer, Lenovo, Toshiba and other manufacturers of Windows notebooks :rolleyes: I buried long ago. :oops:
Ed

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
Finally bit the bullet and upgraded my DAW machine from Yosemite to high sierra this week. Very impressed with performance of h.s .

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I'm still on it. Only because I had to update. Been a Mac user since 1991. And as fancy as the new OS X interations are, my favourite is still Snow Leopard. It did exactly what I wanted and needed my Mac to do. Since SL, the Mac OS has gotten more glitzy and glam and less...well...Mac, for every iteration. Useful features and functions have been removed. You now how to find third party software to get them back. Newer OS is less intuitive, imo. Feels more like a better version of Windows to me. Takes me more steps to do the same things that took less in SL.

Not saying the new OS's are crap. It has it's advantages, but it's not necessarily better. Past OS catered to power users, designers. Now not so much. They cater to your every day user. And I get that. But in doing so, Apple made their once awesome systems, meh. But more expensive. If Apple keeps going at this pace, Windows would be just as good an OS. But it would be cheaper to buy a PC than a Mac.

I'm also of the mindset, "If my system is running fine, and I'm happy with it, I won't touch it". I will only update if I really have to. eg. Software or software update requires newer OS, and I need that software update. My OS is so old, the security is laughable. Plus, I'm on a 5,1, so older OS tends to play nicer with older systems.

Reactions: loby and MBP_187

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I'm still on it. Only because I had to update. Been a Mac user since 1991. And as fancy as the new OS X interations are, my favourite is still Snow Leopard. It did exactly what I wanted and needed my Mac to do. Since SL, the Mac OS has gotten more glitzy and glam and less...well...Mac, for every iteration. Useful features and functions have been removed. You now how to find third party software to get them back. Newer OS is less intuitive, imo. Feels more like a better version of Windows to me. Takes me more steps to do the same things that took less in SL.

Not saying the new OS's are crap. It has it's advantages, but it's not necessarily better. Past OS catered to power users, designers. Now not so much. They cater to your every day user. And I get that. But in doing so, Apple made their once awesome systems, meh. But more expensive. If Apple keeps going at this pace, Windows would be just as good an OS. But it would be cheaper to buy a PC than a Mac.

I'm also of the mindset, "If my system is running fine, and I'm happy with it, I won't touch it". I will only update if I really have to. eg. Software or software update requires newer OS, and I need that software update. My OS is so old, the security is laughable. Plus, I'm on a 5,1, so older OS tends to play nicer with older systems.
I agree with many but not with all of your points.
Windows still has the "Registry" :eek: very few people know how to handle when needed.
MacOS versions still are more intuitive to my taste.:)
But everybody learns in the hard way your sensible thought not to change something working fine just "because there is something newer".
I have great difficulty to understand the many people now fighting the Betas of Mojave, :confused: as those who wrestled with Betas of previous OS in the past. Why be in such a hurry?:confused:
I see it as pure masochism but there happen to be many of them if you read the posts in the Mojave section of this forum.
It certainly "takes all kind of people to make a world":rolleyes:
Ed

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Thank you for your input! :)
[doublepost=1532938140][/doublepost]By the way :

Would anyone know how to connect a Sony HD tv with MacBook Pro running on Yosemite? Wireless? for free?

I have searched online and cannot seem to find a working version of X Mirage. Any links?

I would be interested to learn of alternative free apps. Really do not want to resort to using wires.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011

Would anyone know how to connect a Sony HD tv with MacBook Pro running on Yosemite? Wireless? for free?

I have searched online and cannot seem to find a working version of X Mirage. Any links?

I would be interested to learn of alternative free apps. Really do not want to resort to using wires.

Have you tried Beamer? You using Apple TV or Chromecast? Or native?

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Have you tried Beamer? You using Apple TV or Chromecast? Or native?

Thanks sundog925 for mentioning Beamer. I am reading up on it and trying to find a working copy to download.

I am not using Apple tv/Chromecast. I'm not sure what you meant by 'native'

I am using a Sony (W75D) HDTV which has WiFi Direct. It is a 'Smart tv' but not Android tv [ it was built in Youtube & Netflix] It allows screen mirroring (which works fine with Android phones). I have managed to get the TV to identify my MBP, but don't know how to mirror the screen.

Thanks again for mentioning Beamer, I had never heard of it! I am downloading the trial version and will update you if it works.

Any other free alternative you might suggest?

UPDATE : trial version of Beamer (from official site) is not working. I think Beamer s only for Apple TV :/

Last edited:

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Thanks sundog925 for mentioning Beamer. I am reading up on it and trying to find a working copy to download.

I am not using Apple tv/Chromecast. I'm not sure what you meant by 'native'

I am using a Sony (W75D) HDTV which has WiFi Direct. It is a 'Smart tv' but not Android tv [ it was built in Youtube & Netflix] It allows screen mirroring (which works fine with Android phones). I have managed to get the TV to identify my MBP, but don't know how to mirror the screen.

Thanks again for mentioning Beamer, I had never heard of it! I am downloading the trial version and will update you if it works.

Any other free alternative you might suggest?

UPDATE : trial version of Beamer (from official site) is not working. I think Beamer s only for Apple TV :/

Ok so like my TV has "native" streaming, but only from Chrome. Like the cast icon appears, and it streams to the TV. I use a mac with chrome.

My apple tv though works with Beamer and it works FLAWLESSLY. Easiest way to play from my mac or iPhone to the TV.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I agree with many but not with all of your points.
Windows still has the "Registry" :eek: very few people know how to handle when needed.
MacOS versions still are more intuitive to my taste.:)
But everybody learns in the hard way your sensible thought not to change something working fine just "because there is something newer".
I have great difficulty to understand the many people now fighting the Betas of Mojave, :confused: as those who wrestled with Betas of previous OS in the past. Why be in such a hurry?:confused:
I see it as pure masochism but there happen to be many of them if you read the posts in the Mojave section of this forum.
It certainly "takes all kind of people to make a world":rolleyes:
Ed

Oh, no doubt that Mac OS is still more intuitive than Windows. What I'm saying is that even if it is still better, compared to past OS's, it's become closer to the feel of Windows. Meaning, less intuitive than past Mac OS's.

And you are right. People just rush for the "latest and greatest". And most times, it's not even that great. I wish that the iPhone was more like the Mac. That you can just wipe it and install a clean OS of your choosing (so long as it still supports the OS). lol
[doublepost=1532983717][/doublepost]

I'm guessing you want to stream content from your Macbook to your tv. Check this out. Not sure if your Sony smart tv has this capability. But worth a shot.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Ok so like my TV has "native" streaming, but only from Chrome. Like the cast icon appears, and it streams to the TV. I use a mac with chrome.

My apple tv though works with Beamer and it works FLAWLESSLY. Easiest way to play from my mac or iPhone to the TV.

I also use my MBP with Chrome. I have never seen the 'cast' icon which you mentioned. How may I find it?

I tried Beamer, but I think it is only for Apple TV.

The tv I am trying to connect to : https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/televisions/w750d-series/specifications

I am using the 43' model.

Any advice?

[doublepost=1533027437][/doublepost][QUOTE="gslrider,

I'm guessing you want to stream content from your Macbook to your tv. Check this out. Not sure if your Sony smart tv has this capability. But worth a shot.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions gslrider.

I have followed the youtube vid, and have managed to connect my MBP to the tv. But I cannot seem to send content to the tv.

The tv I am trying to connect to : https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/televisions/w750d-series/specifications

I will try more and update the thread.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
OS X Yosemite is now unsupported so there are no longer security updates released. Later this year upon the release of macOS 10.14 the same will apply to El Capitan.
Yosemite has now missed out on two Safari updates so it is essential to use Firefox, Opera or Chrome for sensitive tasks such as online banking.
There will come a time when it is no longer viable to run Yosemite when third part software vendors no longer offer support. This happened when I was running Snow Leopard. A great release of the platform perhaps the best but support has dried up. You can no longer run Steam. Web Browsing is limited to Firefox 45 ESR. Dropbox support has ended etc. I think you get the picture. It will become an issue in Yosemite as third party support has already started to dry up on Mavericks so be aware.
This is where the Windows rules, no matter how hard it is for me to admit. The dinosaur Windows 7 still has software updated and released for it. Even Vista, but not to the same extent as the 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.