Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
This is where the Windows rules, no matter how hard it is for me to admit. The dinosaur Windows 7 still has software updated and released for it. Even Vista, but not to the same extent as the 7.

True. But at some point, older OS's stop getting support. ie. Windows XP. I'm a Mac guy, but I do have a PC laptop that I use for certain things I can't do as easily on my Mac (software availability limits). And I still prefer XP over 7. But eventually, we all have to move on. Until then, I prefer to stay on an OS that's running fine for me. When Yosemite is completely outdated, I'll move to El Capitan, and so fourth.

You have to remember, many of us still have older Macs (mine is the 5,1). And just like the iOS, newer OS's are only COMPATIBLE (meaning it will run on supported older devices), but not OPTIMAL. Which is why we see on a regular, older devices don't run very well with the latest OS. Same goes for Macs, though not as bad. Apple needs to take the best of the old school ways, and make it work with the generic new school ways. Newer isn't always better.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
This is where the Windows rules, no matter how hard it is for me to admit. The dinosaur Windows 7 still has software updated and released for it. Even Vista, but not to the same extent as the 7.
Your comment on Windows is too rosy.
Regarding Windows Vista I tried very hard to install and make work a Acer notebook which only offers drvers for XP or Vista.
However the built-in web cam (for which a driver exists) cannot find a Skype version to use it...and that is just one sample.:rolleyes:
Therefore forget Vista. Most software will not work with that Windows even if the hardware does. :(
Besides I won't mention how dangerous it is a Windows OS with no longer any safety patches from Microsoft, and Windows 7 will soon be the next useless Windows. :eek:
Ed

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Your comment on Windows is too rosy.
Regarding Windows Vista I tried very hard to install and make work a Acer notebook which only offers drvers for XP or Vista.
However the built-in web cam (for which a driver exists) cannot find a Skype version to use it...and that is just one sample.:rolleyes:
Therefore forget Vista. Most software will not work with that Windows even if the hardware does. :(
Besides I won't mention how dangerous it is a Windows OS with no longer any safety patches from Microsoft, and Windows 7 will soon be the next useless Windows. :eek:
Ed

Yes, it is a shame that older systems and OS’s loose support fast. That is how the companies make their money in making us constantly upgrade or buy newer (and often expensive) computers every few years.

Some of the older hardware is better than the current offerings. This is a fact, but because their is not continued support, these “good” systems or hardware becomes land fill or door stoppers.

I have this issue with audio equipment. No need to buy other hardware, but force to when OS’s become obsolete and/or manufacturers also don’t upgrade their drivers, making us also having to buy their new offerings which sometimes is not better.

Makes the machine run..

dasright56

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Miami, FL
Hey Guys it's Oct. 2018 & I'm still using 2011 MacBook Pro w/Yosemite so far some features I wished it had on the newer OS X has but I'm good, I have an IMAC 2011 w/High Sierra seems alright, & another MacBook Pro w/Sierra seems alright, I've been up wanting to test the waters with Mojave like the dark theme & also some new features but I'm probably got to buy try it on a newer Mac like 2016 & up when I decided to buy one. Cheers Mate!

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Hey Guys it's Oct. 2018 & I'm still using 2011 MacBook Pro w/Yosemite so far some features I wished it had on the newer OS X has but I'm good, I have an IMAC 2011 w/High Sierra seems alright, & another MacBook Pro w/Sierra seems alright, I've been up wanting to test the waters with Mojave like the dark theme & also some new features but I'm probably got to buy try it on a newer Mac like 2016 & up when I decided to buy one. Cheers Mate!

So Yosemite debuted over 4 years ago and is obsolete and you’re using it on a Mac that was 3 years old before even THAT, kudos. I wonder what wasn’t supported when you put Yosemite on it to begin with lol

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
Hello MBP_187,

I am running Yosemite 10.10.5 on an iMac 21", late 2009. I upgraded to 'El Capitan' and regretted my decision immediately and deeply. Some purchased and free software I run (e.g. Photoshop Elements 8, MPEG Streamclip) were either not recognised by 10.11 or were so compromised in functionality as to be unusable. Installation of later OS X versions does not (for me) bear thinking about!

When circumstances demand or financial situation permits, I will purchase the latest iMac model and clean reinstall Yosemite, before making whatever exotic OS X version is already installed inoperable. This 10.10.5 version of Mac OS X suits all my needs (non professional/commercial). Later versions of OS X (10.11 and later) demand that later versions of non Apple software be purchased/installed, just to continue to perform as their Mac user purchasers expect and paid for.

Some software, e.g. "MPEG Streamclip" (which is open source and free), is no longer supported/updated by its open source creators (fair enough) but NO commercial video manipulation program with MPEG Streamclip's unique and extensive capabilities is available - all this to suit that version of OS X. I don't think so!

Hoping this helps and reassures.

PaulRanger2
Hello MBP_187,
I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac 21.5" late 2009 with 4GB moemory 1067 MHz DDR3. At Apple's prompting (via App Store and being a loyal OS X devotee), I trustingly updated to El Capitan and instantly regretted my gullibility (i.e. unswerving faith in Apple and its marketed devotion to user 'ease of use'). Several irreplaceable non Apple software WOULD NO LONGER WORK! An example is "MPEG Streamclip", a uniquely versatile, open source video manipulation software for which there is NO COMMERCIAL EQUIVALENT! Additionally, such universal graphics programs as Photoshop Elements (Ver. 8) were so severely mutilated in functionalality as to be UNUSABLE! All this pain and expense to use the formally reliable and trusted, "user friendly" OS X 10.11.x and later. I don’t think so!

My faith in Apple was, and remains, shaken to its core! Apple, give your faithful supporters options to use older OS X versions on their Macintosh platforms, IF THEY NEED TO DO SO! Do not dictate usage paramitres in the ARROGANT way that Microsoft does! The entire appeal of Apple, its OS X format and compatibility WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac 21.5" late 2009 with 4GB moemory 1067 MHz DDR3. At Apple's prompting (via App Store and being a loyal OS X devotee), I updated to El Capitan and instantly regretted my gullibility (i.e. unswerving faith in Apple and its devotion to user 'ease of use'). Several irreplaceable non Apple software WOULD NO LONGER WORK! An example is MPEG Streamclip, a uniquely versatile, open source video manipulation software for which there is NO COMMERCIAL EQUIVALENT! Additionally, such universal graphics programs as Photoshop Elements (Ver. 8) were so severely mutilated in functionalality as to be UNUSABLE! All this pain to use the formally reliable and trusted, user friendly OS X 10.11.x (and later) - I don’t think so!

My faith in Apple was and remains shaken to its core! Apple, GIVE your faithful supporters options to use older OS X versions IF THEY NEED TO DO SO! Do not dictate OS usage parameters as does Microsoft!

The entire appeal of Apple, its ethos, its OS X format and usability/compatibility WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

I recently purchased a new 2017 iMac 21.5", 2.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, 8GB memory running OS X 10.13.6.

I partitioned the Mac HD so I could clean install Yosemite onto that partition but the ‘ever friendly' Apple Mac OS X displayed a window "That version of OS X cannot be installed on this iMac. It is too old." Apple Inc. is morphing into a Microsoft clone! “CANNOT” is from the Microsoft vocabulary, surely!

I recognise (in principle) that the additional security features inherent in newer OS X versions might be desirable/essential for some high end Mac users: ALL Mac users should be given the opportunity to choose to utilise those features OR NOT, as their software installation installations DEMAND! The money we spend to purchase Apple products is as good as theirs!

As to details about using Yosemite that I prefer, the compatibility of that OS X version with reliable, long serving, completely effective, non Apple software is a deciding factor for me.

In El Capitan, even the task of renaming a sequence of downloaded screen shots (onto the “Desktop" becomes an endless ordeal.
In the "Desktop" window, click on file "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.38.55 am” name tag, for example,
enter new file name (e.g. "Adam's Birthday01"),
click once on the next file in "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at xx.xx.xx" in sequence to be renamed, BEFORE clicking ‘return'
Click "return"
El Capitan forces the cursor onto the just renamed file title bar (e.g. "Adam's Birthday01")
thus NECESSITATING you locating the next file in "Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at xx.xx.xx" sequence - wherever it is located in the "Desktop" window.
Extremely frustrating and UTTERLY POINTLESS, APPLE!

I have only read your post today, “MBP_187", and hope my very belated post is helpful.

P.S. A free, open source, comprehensive alternative to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is available at <Apache OpenOffice download | SourceForge.net>. Download ONLY from that official <SourceForge.net> site because other sites may contain hidden adware etc. in the downloads their site provide.
With Apache OpenOffice, here are NO hidden charges, limited licence fees involved: nothing but free, unlimited use of this completely free, fully compatible "MS Office" style software. Further, there are free Apache OpenOffice users forums available via email to advise you with any issues you may encounter. I am a subscriber and have had courteous and detailed advice from fellow AOO users worldwide, whenever I needed it. All free, of course.

All Microsoft Office files will open in AOO. The files that you create or manipulate/update in AOO can be saved in Microsoft readable format, if you so desire.

I hope this helps.

PaulRanger2

Further my above edited reply, can anyone advise a way of running Yosemite installer program from an external HD with Yosemite 10.10.5 running on that HD which I selected as Startup Disk from internal System Preferences and then restarting with the external HD a new active system, please?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Further my above edited reply, can anyone advise a way of running Yosemite installer program from an external HD with Yosemite 10.10.5 running on that HD which I selected as Startup Disk from internal System Preferences and then restarting with the external HD a new active system, please?
I apologize for not understanding what your predicament might be.:confused:
I have bootable clones of my Yosemite 10.10.5 (which is inside my old MB 4.1) which I made in external USB 2.5" drives.
With the option key I can boot my Mac from any such external drive. :)
I made them with CarbonCopyCloner but SuperDuper works in the same way to make such bootable clones.
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.