Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Who goes out naked without any protective case or covering on their iPhone?

Is it scary? (lol I know I never could do it).

Is your iPhone badly scratched up on the back or front front going au naturel?

The iPhone does feel insanely sexy au naturel and a case or cover does take that sexiness away to some extent.....but it feels a lot safer.....just less sexy :(

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I've always used leather covers (like those from Sena) that you slide the phone out of to use, best of both worlds, protected in the pocket, naked in use :p

doobi18

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I always go out naked.

The iPhone (at least the 1st gen) posessed such perfect industrial design - feels so smooth and beautiful, and is so perfectly balanced. Dressing it completely detracts from all of that.

//doobi18

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
I just have a Power Support Crystal film cover on the screen but other than that I have nothing. I had an Incase Slider but then I just decided I would try it without a case for a while and I've never looked back. It has a few very very minor scuffs on the back just from setting it down on a table and stuff and maybe a very small scuff on the chrome bezel, but other than that it's totally fine. I take pretty good care of it though and I haven't dropped it (knock on wood).

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I go out naked but when I do people throw stuff at me and all I wanted to do was talk on my iPhone 3g in public :( oh and it has an incase ( matte black, gun metal, and gloss white ) love them all :D

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I always go out naked.

The iPhone (at least the 1st gen) posessed such perfect industrial design - feels so smooth and beautiful, and is so perfectly balanced. Dressing it completely detracts from all of that.

//doobi18

Agreed. When I first got it I babied it, but I didn't like any of the protective films I tried - BodyGuardz and IS left the back looking off-white and the screen felt way too tacky, not to mention less optically perfect; PowerSupport's anti-glare film reduced screen clarity/contrast too much, and the crystal film scratched too easily; hard and semi-hard cases added too much bulk. So now I just leave it completely unprotected and it seems to be working fine for me.

Besides, when I start noticing too many scratches on the back, I just take it in to the Genius Bar and get it replaced. It's easy to do because every one of the five iPhones I've gone through have had hardware issues (including the current one, which suffers from light leak, dust under the glass, and a hairline crack by the dock connector - triple whammy! Yay for quality control!!) :rolleyes:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
When I had the first gen iPhone, I had zero cases or anything on it.
I did the same thing with the 3G for a while, but I found the thing too slippery in my hand, so I put in a Contour Fusion case, which doesn't bulk it up too much.
I put it on not really to protect it, but to make it easier to hold and handle, without it slipping from my hands.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Agreed. When I first got it I babied it, but I didn't like any of the protective films I tried - BodyGuardz and IS left the back looking off-white and the screen felt way too tacky, not to mention less optically perfect; PowerSupport's anti-glare film reduced screen clarity/contrast too much, and the crystal film scratched too easily; hard and semi-hard cases added too much bulk. So now I just leave it completely unprotected and it seems to be working fine for me.

Besides, when I start noticing too many scratches on the back, I just take it in to the Genius Bar and get it replaced. It's easy to do because every one of the five iPhones I've gone through have had hardware issues (including the current one, which suffers from light leak, dust under the glass, and a hairline crack by the dock connector - triple whammy! Yay for quality control!!) :rolleyes:

wow i've never agreed with someone and then absolutely hated them all in one post

naked for the win

gggj.jpg

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA

You kill me mavis... lol :p

raclotz

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
i do... i tried using covers but then it kills the show of my phone... just applied a scratch guard on the screen...

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I do. I keep my iPhone in a pocket on its own, but other than that I don't do anything special, just use it and enjoy it. I've had it two months now and so far I haven't found any scratches or other problems.

Beerfloat

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Bah, a proper iPhone has some scratches, it builds character. That just means that it's your iPhone.

I laugh when I see guys with belt holsters or neoprene gloves around their electronics. Might as well wear a sign on your back saying "FOR SALE: IPHONE" cause you just know they saved up all summer for it and are already concerned about the resale value for when the next gimmick comes out.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I never put any of my iPods and my iPhone in a case. I don't get the point of buying a product just to cover it. It's like buying a car and not driving it... but I guess people do that too.

My iPhone is in perfect condition too, sure it has a few scratches, but the people that have the cases on can't even see the iPhone body anyways.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I never put any of my iPods and my iPhone in a case. I don't get the point of buying a product just to cover it. It's like buying a car and not driving it... but I guess people do that too.

My iPhone is in perfect condition too, sure it has a few scratches, but the people that have the cases on can't even see the iPhone body anyways.

I feel the same exact way. Who wants to cover up the iPhone just so they don't see the scratches on it. By the way, my iPhone goes naked when I'm using it and goes in a hip holster when I'm not (I don't like how it feels in my pocket)

My iPhone is still in very good condition. Whatever coating they used on the back is pretty darn good at resisting scratches and I know the glass won't scratch.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

or, they just don't want to scratch up there phone or have there devices take any hard impact causing more damage when Dropped.
I use a incase slider because without it my phone seem to look so greasy and finger printy. The case gives it good feel and also protects it. I could care less about re sale value, I bought this for myself. Not to sell to anyone

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Now I am actually using it naked, It feels so good. Wish there was a case that was as thin as the actual phone. I heard Zag makes a full body shield. IN the mall nearest me there is a Zag stand. Thinkin about checkin it out today. Anyone fully body protect there iPhone with an invisible zag shield?

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Always had mine uncovered, lives in my pocket. It's a 2G, a year old, and I am still very happy with the way it looks - even if its tiny imperfections would have some users of this forum freaking out :D

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I've been naked since June 29 with a few attempts at encasing the 1G/3G. I just think you're missing out on the product adding all that bulk.

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
im naked in public all the time

oh....you meant my phone....yea, it is too, i've used the ipod socks since day one...they work perfectly

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
The only time I use a case is when snowboarding. Otherwise, I let it all hang out like day one.

MacMalv

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
England
I don't really care if my phone gets scratched....it gives it a bit of character! I would rather enjoy using it, then worrying if its not going to be perfectly polished and shiny. :D

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I used to use invisi shield...but after afew weeks it look like crap so now im naked but use film protection on the screen. Whip a new screen film on every month and ive got a brand spanking iphone again. the back and the chrome are getting scratched up alittle but not too bad you can see the scratches when you catch the light. I wouldn't recommend leaving your screen totally naked just get a cheap film and replace it every few weeks?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Don't you guys find the thing a tad slippery to hold, especially when your hands are cold?
That's the only reason I have a contour fusion on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.