Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
I used it without a case for about two months (I was waiting for Incase to release the 3G Slider) and hated it. It's just so thin and wide that it wasn't comfortable for me to hold. I absolutely need the additional bulk that the case provides.

Also, while I never had an issue with it being slippery, I'd definitely think twice before pulling out an caseless iPhone on a ski lift.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
wow i've never agreed with someone and then absolutely hated them all in one post

Thanks, but why would you hate me for Apple's manufacturing problems? I get my iPhone replaced whenever I start to notice too many scratches on the back, but that's (obviously) not the reason they replace it. They replace the iPhones for manufacturing defects including large chunks of dust under the glass, ill-fitting bezel/back plastic (resulting in excessive 'light leak'), and cracked plastic (well documented on these forums and not the result of use/abuse) ... I'm on iPhone #5 and every single one has suffered from at least one of these problems. In fact, my current phone suffers from all three! But I'm holding off on getting it replaced until the back is a little more scratched. ;)

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
I don't get the point of buying a product just to cover it. It's like buying a car and not driving it... but I guess people do that too.

i'm sorry, but your analogy could not be more incorrect.

putting a cover on a phone or ipod is in no way, shape, or form similar to "buying a car and not driving it"

if you bought the ipod and never used it, it would be similar to buying a car and not driving it.

buying a cover for an ipod is like buying a car and then putting those black bumper protectors all over it. that would be an analogy that somewhat fits the topic.

PS - i go out naked all the time.... but i do have a cover for my iPhone :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I would, but I live too close too an elementary school.

They tend to frown on running around naked here.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I dropped mine on the ground just a few days ago. I was at a Tigers spring training game, and it fell on the parking lot concrete on the way into the game. If I had not had a hard shell plastic case on it, the drop would have put a hell of a dent in one of the corners, at least.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I used my first iPhone 3G nude for about 6 months...the back of it was scratched as hell and had lost much shine. The Apple logo was no longer reflective. I now use a case .

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Naked. Just dont see the point of a case...it looks ugly and i'm careful so...

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Naked works for me

When I first purchased my iPhone back in June of '07 I was crazed. I bought the protective cover for the screen and I've has a number of different back covers. Anyway, I stopped with the screen cover when it was greasy and streaky all the time and eventually the back cover wore out. My phone looks fine, not noticeably different from others. What's the big deal??? I would use a cover it you want to be able to tell yours apart but the protective thing is over-rated for me.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
i'm sorry, but your analogy could not be more incorrect.

putting a cover on a phone or ipod is in no way, shape, or form similar to "buying a car and not driving it"

if you bought the ipod and never used it, it would be similar to buying a car and not driving it.

buying a cover for an ipod is like buying a car and then putting those black bumper protectors all over it. that would be an analogy that somewhat fits the topic.

PS - i go out naked all the time.... but i do have a cover for my iPhone :)

:rolleyes: oooookay, whatever you say. This is just a simple topic, I'm just pointing out my opinion on the topic, just pretty much saying that they arent using the iPhone to its possible full potential.

If you wanna be a grammar nazi and point out specific wrong things then that's fine, but it has nothing to do with the topic at all.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
in my line of work I can't go without a case (landscaping) so I never take off my case with exception to cleaning the debris out from behind the case

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
I never put any of my iPods and my iPhone in a case. I don't get the point of buying a product just to cover it. It's like buying a car and not driving it... but I guess people do that too.

Well, I bought a car and for the front, I put 3M Scotchguard Protection Film (aka the Clear Bra) to protect it from bugs and scratches. The windows are tinted with 3M ColorStable window film to keep the interor cool. The rest of the paint job is protected every 6 months with Klasse AIO and Sealant to protect the paint and clearcoat. 4 years on, even driving it pretty regularly in rough and off-road conditions, the car looks near pristine. (at least after a carwash)

But yeah... I see how protecting your gear in order to use it and keep it looking good at the same time is just like not using it at all. The better solution would clearly be to just not take any pride of ownership, replace gear when the poor maintenance takes its toll and then go to a online forum and complain anonymously about the manufacturers clearly shoddy workmanship.

Oh, and I have a 4th Gen iPod 20GB from 2004 that is in perfect working order and the chrome back is immaculate. Not a single scratch on it. Haven't had a single problem with it. Wouldn't be surprised if it kept running for another 5 years. And yep, it's been in a case all these years.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I have a touch now, but will be getting an iPhone in the future.

Since I want more battery life, I will be getting one of these. Serves two functions at the same time.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I've always used leather covers (like those from Sena) that you slide the phone out of to use, best of both worlds, protected in the pocket, naked in use :p

+1. I do the exact same thing, only I use the Toffee leather case and love it! Only a few weeks ago I left the case at a friend's house, and I had to use it completely case-less until I got it back. And, it still looked great! There wasn't any noticeable extra wear and tear after that.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
I used to always go naked. Not just my iPhone - but all my iPods as well.

However, I have no more iPods due to a series of unfortunate events, and I carry my iPhone in a countour case, and have applied a screen protector as well. I dropped my original iPhone several times and dented the chrome. Eventually, they replaced it for unrelated quality control, so with my new one I have it protected 24'7. I'm too clumsy to use it naked anymore.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Used to have a case + protector. Case got too annoying, and i dropped my phone in my car and it landed on a screw or something and punctured the screen protector so I took it off.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I used to go out naked, but I got an InCase Slider for X-Mas so I've been using that since the end of January. It took me a while to get used to it, but it's nice to have just InCase (pun intended) I drop it. :)

trentcanuck

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2004
I have NO interest in using a cover: too much added bulk, plus I LIKE the way the iPhone looks.

I just make sure to keep my keys and any coins in a different pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.