Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Picked up a white 16 gig on March 14th, and finally got my whit moshi iglaze 3g and power support crystal film set yesterday. i put them on perfectly and the case was great with no bulk whatsoever and a great feel. however in less than twenty four hours and only being in my pocket and barely touched with my hands, the moshi is already staining brown along the edges, very noticably.

I hate hate hate cases and have never used them on my ipods and just took excellent care of them, nor phones. However figuring I would drop this drunk I decided I should get a case this time, but I decided to take it off and luckily the case left no scratching of the phone whatsoever, the phone is still absolutely pristine. I think I'm just gonna rock it naked and hope I don't drop it (if I do I'm out $800 thank you Apple Japan so don't feel bad about rocking a $300 one naked in the states).

Anyone else rocking it naked? Has it survived a drop?

If its naked, what do you do when you put it down on your desk, table or let a friend use it? They might just slide it back to you on a table if your friend isn't as caring about high end industrial design products....

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
If its naked, what do you do when you put it down on your desk, table or let a friend use it? They might just slide it back to you on a table if your friend isn't as caring about high end industrial design products....

:rolleyes:

Are you serious?

It is a phone.
It will never become a collectors' item.
It is not a religious icon.

Stop worrying about scratches.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
:rolleyes:

Are you serious?

It is a phone.
It will never become a collectors' item.
It is not a religious icon.

Stop worrying about scratches.

Kind of ironic (not really, just felt like posting it). Your username is "arkitect" and you're talking about industrial design.

AlexAndBandit

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
I don't normally drop my iPod Touch or anything, but I always use cases and screen protectors wherever they may be needed or helpful. I am getting an iPhone 3G in about 3 days, so I already have my Incase slider, and my Steinheil A-F screen protector ready. I hate fingerprints on my electronics so much.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Okay so for the past 2 weeks I've had the 3g naked because I took off the incase slider because I realized how nice of a device is without a case. So from everyday use there are tony small little swirls and scratches. What are you guys of afraid of more then that?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Okay so for the past 2 weeks I've had the 3g naked because I took off the incase slider because I realized how nice of a device is without a case. So from everyday use there are tony small little swirls and scratches. What are you guys of afraid of more then that?

Accidentally dropping it and the glass breaking.

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
When I got my 3g in January, I bought 3 cases and invisishield. I used the cases one at a time. I loved them all but they just added too much bulk. I put the invisishield on and loved it. But then the edges started to fray and I took it off. I went naked for about 3 weeks and then my phone fell out of my pocket when I was getting out of my car. Worst nightmare ever....It landed in the street and slid. I thought, 'oh no, my phone is dead'. I picked it up and it had no scratches by some act of mystical powers lol but then I re-placed my invisishield today. It's essentially the same as going naked. I read that someone else used the ghost shield or something. I'm sure they are similar but I love zagg. And here's why: My friend took his IS off of his 1st gen iphone and I took my IS off my 3g. We actually did the torture tests. I put it on my skin and dug a knife in. I would have cut myself if it had not been there. I didn't have A SCRATCH on me. It truly was amazing. I love zagg IS!

EVERYONE SHOULD BUY IT!!!! its worth it, especially because it adds no bulk and is strong!

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Mine has been naked for a few months. It's got scratches all over it now, but i don't mind it. It feels so much lighter and looks sleeker without the case.

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.
I go naked. Putting a case on is like keeping the plastic covering on your new leather couch. Or putting those ridiculous black bumper covers on your car (what, do you take them off for special occasions?). Or saran-wrapping your carpet.

mrXniick

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Northridge, CA
I didnt buy a case to prevent scratches... i just hated the feel of the glossy plastic.

I bought the incipio feather because it adds no bulk, and ads a nice, grippy matte surface to the back of the phone.

10dulkar

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
I go naked. Putting a case on is like keeping the plastic covering on your new leather couch. Or putting those ridiculous black bumper covers on your car (what, do you take them off for special occasions?). Or saran-wrapping your carpet.

i couldnt agree more...i just dont get this whole 'protective case' product segment...why buy a beautiful product and cover it in an ugly case...

why is an ugly case better than a few scratches?

i only go out naked!

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
why is an ugly case better than a few scratches?

i only go out naked!

I guess that is way people are forever looking for 'better' case. Not just iPhone no phones looks better with case as it make it bulky.

The major and only advantage in protecting your phone with case or full body protector is to preserve it's resale value. A iPhone with sport fee can get you 20-25% more than phone with lot of scratches.

I usually prefer only screen protector or full body protector for all my phones. But somehow I don't find iPhone comfortable holding with full-body screen protector as the protector feels hard on fingers around the edges.

I am holding off buying any case as they are all ridiculously expensive and they may not be compatible with the new iPhone which I plan to upgrade come summer as things like camera can result in changes to the body shape.

So, anyone planning on upgrading to new iPhone should avoid spending too much on a case now.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
The major and only advantage in protecting your phone with case or full body protector is to preserve it's resale value. A iPhone with sport fee can get you 20-25% more than phone with lot of scratches.

I agree with you 100%

after my old phone was stolen I purchased a new one with a Invisible shield

THe biggest reason is because I want to keep the resale value high ( sell it and get a new iphone this summer)

so sorry guys, I'm no longer naked

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I go out naked for the last 2 months now. I had invishield for about a good 6 months. I liked the added texture compared to the sleek back of naked. But I love being naked now for some reason. Just a better feel. I had a different case for when I first got it for about 8 months. I didn't like the bulk and the pain in the ass to pull it out of my pocket because it stuck to the inner part cause of the grip.

Go naked.

Though I did have a dream where I broke the glass pretty damn bad. I remember running my finger over the glass in the dream and actually feeling it broken. When I woke up to my alarm on my iPhone I turned it off. Then freaked out. lol It was fine. :rolleyes:

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I had invisishield since I first got the phone, and I had an antiglare screen protector. All was well, but the edges of the invisishield (as everyone probably knows) kept getting filled with pocket lint. So after cutting off the edges, lint kept getting in to the next available spot. I finally took both off and loved being naked. But then one day, I was wearing dress pants and got out of my car. If you don't know, dress pants pockets are VERY silky and soft. Plop! OUt went my phone onto the street. I was stricken with fear, fortunately, nothing happened. I went to best buy later that week and got the invisishield for the full body protection. It still feels like I'm naked, but with super secret stealth protection. lol To me, I consider myself naked just because there really is no bulk and you can't even tell the shield is on unless you are up close and personal with it. Which no one is except for me (my phone is my baby lol no one touches it!)

Go naked! With invisishield! It's INVISIshield for a reason!

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
I am the exact opposite...

I used to go naked but during the 2008 Halloween parade, I pulled it out of my pocket, dropped it cause it was night and BAM, a huge dent in the corner.

I ended up selling it for parts on eBay and bought a new one but without the subsidized prize :(

Long story short - I always use a case now

AdrianoCardillo

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I have a Power Support Crystal film cover but my screen still managed to get 2 scratches on it...Plus, the edges are already wearing off and dust is starting to get under the edges. Anyone have a good recommendation for a good film cover?

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
I'm considering going naked. I have the invisible shield, but it's peeling pretty bad. Also, it's turning my nice white iphone different colors!

I enjoy the added grip the IS adds, and I like how it adds some bulk around the vibration switch (it likes to turn on when in my pocket... much easier to activate than the original), but I'm considering going naked for a little bit.

I like the fact that my device is protected.... but honestly, what good is a protected device if you can't even see it??? :confused:

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Those who insist on leaving their iphones naked, would you guys rather risk an accidental drop that might shatter your screen, like is it worth not having a case around your iphone because you rarely ever drop your iphone or when you drop it you pretty much bet that your glass screen wouldn't shatter? Or do you feel that having a case wouldn't even protect the glass shattering?

I'd really much rather have my iphone naked but because of this exact issue, I can't seem to stomach not having it in some type of a protective case. If I dropped my iphone without a case around it and the screen shattered, then I think I would be really pissed that I didn't protect it more for such situations.

Like I just want to know your guyses reasonings/rationale behind this issue so I can justify not having a case, as we can probably all agree, a shattered screen would be the end of us. BTW, this is for those who don't have those accidental damage insurance policies on their iphones.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Those who insist on leaving their iphones naked, would you guys rather risk an accidental drop that might shatter your screen, like is it worth not having a case around your iphone because you rarely ever drop your iphone or when you drop it you pretty much bet that your glass screen wouldn't shatter? Or do you feel that having a case wouldn't even protect the glass shattering?

I'd really much rather have my iphone naked but because of this exact issue, I can't seem to stomach not having it in some type of a protective case. If I dropped my iphone without a case around it and the screen shattered, then I think I would be really pissed that I didn't protect it more for such situations.

Like I just want to know your guyses reasonings/rationale behind this issue so I can justify not having a case, as we can probably all agree, a shattered screen would be the end of us. BTW, this is for those who don't have those accidental damage insurance policies on their iphones.

I'm probably jinxing myself here, but I just feel like most of the cases out there really wouldn't help in a good drop. Maybe a folio would, but otherwise, due to the capacitive touchscreen most cases really can't protect the screen from a good hit.

I love the way the 3g feels in your hand. It's one of the reasons I got rid of my original iphone (no lie...). I did chose to get the invisible shield though, because after a year of running naked in my pocket, the screen started showing some scratches. Also, I figured the plastic casing of the 3g wouldn't be as durable as the aluminum of the original.

I'm upset the invisible shield is so prone to picking up lint, but the added texture of the shield makes up for it.

Otherwise, bulky cases don't make much sense to me. Most people get them so they don't scratch their phone. But what good is a phone that's "not scratched" if it's in a case all the time? It's not like these same people take their phones out of these cases to show off their toy. Plus, half of these cases out there scratch the phone anyways.

I think invisible shield is all that is needed for the phone. It'll allow for the best overall protection while still stick maintaing form-factor. I think if you want screen protection, you should get a folio, or flip-folding case that covers the screen.

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
You never want a case on your iPhone...until you have a reason :)

I posted earlier that I once had a case, then went naked and 2 months later, dropped the darn thing on cement and ended up breaking the chrome and denting the phone pretty badly.

Since then I've used a case and didn't have a drop til today when I got out of my car and the phone, which was on my lap, fell onto concrete again. This time, however, I had the iSkin Revo 2 (which is an EXCELLENT case) and it fell very softly and nothing happened to it.

So again, you don't want a case on your phone until you have a reason for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.