Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I want to go naked. I personally don't care about scratches. It's just that i know at some point in the future i will be selling this phone. I know that a potential buyer will be looking for phones that are as close to mint as they can find. With all my previous cell phones it never crossed my mind to ever sell them but with this phone, you can't just stick it in a draw or donate it, there will be many people that will want to buy it. As i'm writing this, i'm thinking i may try one of those all over clear shield things. Like the plastic on the couch thing. It's naked to me because it's still vulnerable if i drop it.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I go "naked" with my 3g -- I just keep it in my jeans pocket, being sure to not put coins or other items with it. Scratches are very minimal if any.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Besides, when I start noticing too many scratches on the back, I just take it in to the Genius Bar and get it replaced. It's easy to do because every one of the five iPhones I've gone through have had hardware issues (including the current one, which suffers from light leak, dust under the glass, and a hairline crack by the dock connector - triple whammy! Yay for quality control!!) :rolleyes:

Really:eek:? Apple will replace it just because of scratch? What do you tell them? 'Cause i got scratches on the back of my Iphone and would like to get it replaced if possible. What do I tell them:confused:

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Mine goes out in sunblock, so to speak - I've had an InvisibleSHIELD on it since day 1. My only complaint is it's slightly off-white with the IS on, but otherwise is imperceptible.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

edtorious said:
Besides, when I start noticing too many scratches on the back, I just take it in to the Genius Bar and get it replaced. It's easy to do because every one of the five iPhones I've gone through have had hardware issues (including the current one, which suffers from light leak, dust under the glass, and a hairline crack by the dock connector - triple whammy! Yay for quality control!!) :rolleyes:

Really:eek:? Apple will replace it just because of scratch? What do you tell them? 'Cause i got scratches on the back of my Iphone and would like to get it replaced if possible. What do I tell them:confused:

No, every one of my iPhones has other, legitimate problems which warranted replacement. ;)

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Stark.

It's been dropped a couple of times. Each time squarely on a corner so the damage is small.

Silicon cases: sticks to inside of pant pockets
Hard cases: makes whole phone too thick

Screen cover: you only notice it after you've taken it off after having it on for a while. The screen is crisp.

whitney8O8

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
I could never do that!
I'd be too paranoid. I just have an invisible shield. That way I can pretend it's naked :D

pfm

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
100% Naked

2 iphone almost a year each never used case, just treated with care. They always get their own pocket and a little attention to where i set them down. Never had a single scratch on the front and nothing besides the tiniest 'swirls' on the back. these phones are so sleek and beautiful, to cover them with a case is an insult.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
When I had the first gen iPhone, I had zero cases or anything on it.
I did the same thing with the 3G for a while, but I found the thing too slippery in my hand, so I put in a Contour Fusion case, which doesn't bulk it up too much.
I put it on not really to protect it, but to make it easier to hold and handle, without it slipping from my hands.

Yeah...similar story to mine. It's too slippery. I have it in an iSkin Solo now (black, so you almost don't even notice it) and also have a Power Support Anti-Glare on there because otherwise I have to wipe the screen every 5 minutes because of the fingerprints/grease.

I've tried a TON of cases and this is the only one I've liked. It's kind of a hard, somewhat grippy but smooth rubber(?) so that it doesn't pick up any lint and easily slides in and out of the pocket. Really couldn't ask for a better case.

Matrix86

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Mine has been in a case with a screen protector from day one. protects the phone and resale. :)

frankie559141

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
Texas
my iphone is almost fully naked! I put stickers on top of the apple sign so it wont get scratched, and it has held up pretty good just a few tiny scratches on the back.

Tommeh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I used to have a bodyguardz skin but the last few months I've used it without protection. :p

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I need to have some form of protection on my iPhone, it would really kill me to see the hairline scratches ruining the plastic. Actually at the moment, I've got an Invisible shield and Capsule Rebel on it, overkill I know. I think I may be getting too obsessed with the protection thing.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I have about 10 cases, and after a while I have gotten sick of them all. The black matte Incase Slider and ISkin Solo remain my favorite, but nothing beats the naked Iphone.

I put an Invisible Shield on my phone and use a belt holster while out, and a swiss army pouch when I am home. The feel of the phone is just too nice to put it back in a case.

I am naked with a skin and not going back to a case.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I had a hard cover on mine (made by Griffin) and my iPhone is now MORE scratched up because of how the case is designed. Little gash marks all over the thing.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Went out naked with my 2G iPhone all the time ... until Sunday, when I dropped my phone on the sidewalk and it landed perfectly on the glass front :eek:.

I picked it up and saw a spider web of cracks :mad:. A trip to the Apple store and $200 later, I've got a refurb phone (was not eligible for 3G upgrade). Doh. Bought a hard case for the new phone.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
Naked since about day 5-6. Couldn't stand it.
Nice fit in the jeans pocket, until about two weeks ago when it hit the pavement and cracked the screen.
Now, after the issues with replacement, are looking to put some clothes back on it.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I've gone naked from the day it left the box and phone is perfectly fine. I don't see how people who put a case on it could ever get it in their pocket even if they wanted to.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I had a case and screen protector on my for about 5 months. It wasn't too bad and it fit in my pocket easy. But one day I stripped it down naked and it felt so good being naked that I never covered it back up. I am going on 6 months and it still looks almost brand new.

I love being naked! :D

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I roll naked with my 3G since August. The back has a very few, very minor hairline scratches, but they are so small you can't even feel them. They are just in the shine.

I'm careful about laying the phone on dirty surfaces, but otherwise, i just carry it in my jeans pocket or shorts pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.