Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
With so many Tesla Superchargers near me, I am joining Tesla's membership for $12.99 / month to save some money since some locations depending on time of day is $0.72/kWh for non members!

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 05.54.39.jpeg

Reactions: hobowankenobi

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
With so many Tesla Superchargers near me, I am joining Tesla's membership for $12.99 / month to save some money since some locations depending on time of day is $0.72/kWh for non members!

If you are a heavy user of Superchargers, it makes perfect sense to do it. Another option is one can activate prior to a trip for a month if not a heavy user.

As a 2x Tesla owner for 15 months, I have used a supercharger 3 times, once before flying out for a week out of a NJ airport 50 miles from my home. I haven't gone on any road trips in the past 15 months.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
If you are a heavy user of Superchargers, it makes perfect sense to do it. Another option is one can activate prior to a trip for a month if not a heavy user.

As a 2x Tesla owner for 15 months, I have used a supercharger 3 times, once before flying out for a week out of a NJ airport 50 miles from my home. I haven't gone on any road trips in the past 15 months.
That's a great idea!
Just sign up for an upcoming heavy use month or long distance trip!

With my local rates, all I would need to charge is around 65kW per month to break even on the membership....

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
The Q6 E-tron is very interesting - less $$$ than the Macan but similar engineering underneath (they are siblings). As much as I love Porsche, I find the Audi interiors a bit more inviting - the Porsche ones are just so monochrome. I suspect that and the Macan EV makes the existing Q8 E-tron basically pointless now. it didn't have too much range while these two new platform siblings are really top-notch.

That said away from EVs, I'd have a 993 Turbo WLS II in an instant, especially if it was Arena Red metallic. If the world was ending I would sit inside that and die a happy person. I know that's crazy but yeah, that classic fits my style.
That water cooler 911 is awesome, and if you don’t sit and wait to die it will kill you in turbo form 🤣

But don’t discount modern Porsches. This was mine last Monday at Zandvoort (F1 circuit in the Netherlands) where I had the pleasure to take it around the track. An awesome machine.

IMG_2177.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’m so done with Tesla. Just finished my third test drive. And this one again big vibrations in the drive train. The engines just aren’t smooth when they kick in. Torque steer was obvious as well. And to top it the road noise was crazy.

I gave them three opportunities, had three different cars, even asked explicitly whether this one was smooth. Yet again I turned around within minutes only because I couldn’t turn back sooner.

Quality assurance just not what I’m talking expecting from a vehicle and company. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I’m so done with Tesla. Just finished my third test drive. And this one again big vibrations in the drive train. The engines just aren’t smooth when they kick in. Torque steer was obvious as well. And to top it the road noise was crazy.

I gave them three opportunities, had three different cars, even asked explicitly whether this one was smooth. Yet again I turned around within minutes only because I couldn’t turn back sooner.

Quality assurance just not what I’m talking expecting from a vehicle and company. 🤷‍♂️
You don't like the manic feel of the accelerator?

Reactions: hovscorpion12

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

How aggressive were you in pressing the accelerator pedal?

Curious as the car is primarily RWD and the front motor doesn't engage until high power demand. Like the only time I could tell the front motor was engaged was pretty much close to full throttle when testing out acceleration boost.

Either way that sucks. Both my 3 and moms Y drive smooth. Not sure where the vibrations would come from in the drivetrain. Only thing I can think of is unbalanced wheels.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
How aggressive were you in pressing the accelerator pedal?

Curious as the car is primarily RWD and the front motor doesn't engage until high power demand.

Either way that sucks. Both my 3 and moms Y drive smooth. Not sure where the vibrations would come from in the drivetrain. Only thing I can think of is unbalanced wheels.
I wonder if the tri-motor models are FWD since that would take less power then the two rear motors.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I wonder if the tri-motor models are FWD since that would take less power then the two rear motors.

To my knowledge, the S/X also are primarily RWD as well. Though with the Plaid's front motor also being PMA and not induction, could be possible but still believe they are RWD.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
To my knowledge, the S/X also are primarily RWD as well. Though with the Plaid's front motor also being PMA and not induction, could be possible but still believe they are RWD.
Yeah it is weird because historically Tesla has turned the induction motors "off" when trying to conserve energy. Without a physical clutch, I'm not sure how they would turn off the reluctance motors.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah it is weird because historically Tesla has turned the induction motors "off" when trying to conserve energy. Without a physical clutch, I'm not sure how they would turn off the reluctance motors.

Maybe the Plaid’s are AWD all the time then.

He didn’t specify which Tesla he drove, but I’m guessing 3 or Y which are primarily RWD.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

He didn’t specify which Tesla he drove, but I’m guessing 3 or Y which are primarily RWD.
Fair.

Supposedly only the newer 3 is a quiet ride. I'm not sure if they ever made the S/X that quiet. I do agree that you can hear the motor/inverter whine fairly well from in the cabin (at least when getting on the accelerator hard). The older cars don't make noise at low speeds so other than tire noise they tend to be fairly quiet newer cars I think make a warbling noise that I am not a fan of.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Fair.

Supposedly only the newer 3 is a quiet ride. I'm not sure if they ever made the S/X that quiet. I do agree that you can hear the motor/inverter whine fairly well from in the cabin (at least when getting on the accelerator hard). The older cars don't make noise at low speeds so other than tire noise they tend to be fairly quiet newer cars I think make a warbling noise that I am not a fan of.

When pushing it hard, I like the whine noise. Gives the car some character when going all out.

And at least it is natural electric motor whine unlike what other OEM's are doing and piping in fake noises. Like with the E-Ray.....

( I know the video says it's the electric motor, but it is piped in fake sounds vs genuine whine from the motor)

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I have a 2019 3 and a 2021 Y. I have no vibration or noise issues. And I drive in Long Island and NYC with our winter potholes still out there. A buddy of mine with a 2022 Y with the 20" wheels had a double blow out on a pothole in Queens, he also has no issues.

I drove my buddies 2023 (delivered last week) Y Performance, his is even quieter than my Y.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
When pushing it hard, I like the whine noise. Gives the car some character when going all out.

And at least it is natural electric motor whine unlike what other OEM's are doing and piping in fake noises. Like with the E-Ray.....

( I know the video says it's the electric motor, but it is piped in fake sounds vs genuine whine from the motor)
Correct me if I am wrong but the Eray is NOT an electric car but rather a gas 495hp V8 with an additional 160hp electric motor for the front wheels. It was a a standard Corvette with an extra electric motor only.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Correct me if I am wrong but the Eray is NOT an electric car but rather a gas 495hp V8 with an additional 160hp electric motor for the front wheels. It was a a standard Corvette with an extra electric motor only.
The E-Ray is an electric car the same way a Prius is.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
I have a 2019 3 and a 2021 Y. I have no vibration or noise issues. And I drive in Long Island and NYC with our winter potholes still out there. A buddy of mine with a 2022 Y with the 20" wheels had a double blow out on a pothole in Queens, he also has no issues.

I drove my buddies 2023 (delivered last week) Y Performance, his is even quieter than my Y.

Yeah, I've got a 2021 Y and it is beautifully smooth and very quiet. It provides a premium driving experience in my book. It's not perfect--the user interface is disappointing and I'm not a fan of the door handles--but it's my favorite car of the many I've owned over the course of 30 years of driving experience.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The E-Ray is an electric car the same way a Prius is.
Yes it is a hybrid but the gasoline V8 is the primary source of power unlike a “normal” hybrid, so the sound you are hearing is the roar of that V8, not some made up sound being piped in for sound effects.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Yes it is a hybrid but the gasoline V8 is the primary source of power unlike a “normal” hybrid, so the sound you are hearing is the roar of that V8, not some made up sound being piped in for sound effects. It is for all intents and purposes a standard RWD Corvette with an electric motor assist for the front wheels only.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yes it is a hybrid but the gasoline V8 is the primary source of power unlike a “normal” hybrid, so the sound you are hearing is the roar of that V8, not some made up sound being piped in for sound effects.

Yes you hear the V8, but that other whirring noise you also hear is piped in meant to also sound like the electric motor. It is NOT natural electric motor whine.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Model X all three times.

First one the rear seat couldn't go up and were broken, fair enough could happen in a demonstrator but not great. I attributed the road noise to that. But also the vibrations were so bad I had to turn around.

Second one, less but still vibrations from the front.

And today third one, worst vibrations ever. But only kicked in at 50mph until 80mph, yet didn't feel like wheel balancing at all. When lane keeping kicked in, it became really bad. I also found the front feeling really loose and disconnected. I changed both suspension settings, and adaptive damping to no avail.

Upon return they said don't worry it is just the drive shafts we need to replace them. Sigh, I asked them specifically whether they have a smooth one before I come out. I asked them yesterday, and they wrote back 100% it is perfect. So imagine my surprise when it wasn't yet again....

I really don't get it, but I'm fed up now. If pre-sales is this bad I'm not interested.

Might give them one more chance when Model Y Juniper gets released unless I've got something else by then. But I find it a bit too small and we already have a small car.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Fair.

Yup, the newer 3 is supposed to be. And the upcoming (at some point) Y (Juniper) as well. I'm familiar with quiet engined cars be it ice or bev, so they do tend to exurbate road noise a little more than a 'noise' ice in my experience and I consider that normal. In a perveted way they are more noisy because they are quieter if you know what I mean.

But with the X it is something different, it is the kind of noise like seals aren't fitted properly or have a gap in them. My main interest is that it is large, and I'm going between the UK and Netherlands (through France/Belgium) at least twice a month whilst we are renovating a house. And for such a large vehicle it is one of the few that could make the journey without charging en-route.

Its back to the drawing board, but may go for a Kia EV9 instead. It has got a lot going for it, I just so dislike the grey shiny plastic hehehe

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Model X all three times.

First one the rear seat couldn't go up and were broken, fair enough could happen in a demonstrator but not great. I attributed the road noise to that. But also the vibrations were so bad I had to turn around.

Second one, less but still vibrations from the front.

And today third one, worst vibrations ever. But only kicked in at 50mph until 80mph, yet didn't feel like wheel balancing at all. When lane keeping kicked in, it became really bad. I also found the front feeling really loose and disconnected. I changed both suspension settings, and adaptive damping to no avail.

Upon return they said don't worry it is just the drive shafts we need to replace them. Sigh, I asked them specifically whether they have a smooth one before I come out. I asked them yesterday, and they wrote back 100% it is perfect. So imagine my surprise when it wasn't yet again....

I really don't get it, but I'm fed up now. If pre-sales is this bad I'm not interested.

Might give them one more chance when Model Y Juniper gets released unless I've got something else by then. But I find it a bit too small and we already have a small car.

Yikes.

Sadly Tesla "sales reps" are as bad if not worse than car dealer sales reps. If they knew their demo needed new drive shafts and let that out on a test drive for a potential customer to experience is just atrocious. You think they are going to buy a car after their test drive showed those horrible driving symptoms?

I perfectly understand the frustration. The S/X are Tesla's oldest products that still date back to their original 2013 and 2016 architecture. So despite having newer sheetmetal, still has the same flaws. They have updated suspension and other stuff, but they need entire redesigns. Seems like though they have taken the back seat to the 3/Y. I see Tesla being the new Ford from the 1910's. Model T being popular as crap, but eventually competition leaves Ford behind because they keep on putting out the Model T out without major changes or redesigns.

Tesla's have amazing tech behind them, but they don't seem to have the resources to develop new products while redesigning their current line up. They can only do one major vehicle development at a time and then do sheetmetal work on the current lineup.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes you are right. They've had refreshes, they've definitely updated the tech, suspension, even the battery types, but the basic design is one of more than 11 years old. When looking back in the groups those drive shaft issues and excessive rear tyre wear have been there since the beginning. So considering they've managed to refresh and update a lot of other parts this must be something more inherent in the framework.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Yikes.

Sadly Tesla "sales reps" are as bad if not worse than car dealer sales reps. If they knew their demo needed new drive shafts and let that out on a test drive for a potential customer to experience is just atrocious. You think they are going to buy a car after their test drive showed those horrible driving symptoms?

I perfectly understand the frustration. The S/X are Tesla's oldest products that still date back to their original 2013 and 2016 architecture. So despite having newer sheetmetal, still has the same flaws. They have updated suspension and other stuff, but they need entire redesigns. Seems like though they have taken the back seat to the 3/Y. I see Tesla being the new Ford from the 1910's. Model T being popular as crap, but eventually competition leaves Ford behind because they keep on putting out the Model T out without major changes or redesigns.

Tesla's have amazing tech behind them, but they don't seem to have the resources to develop new products while redesigning their current line up. They can only do one major vehicle development at a time and then do sheetmetal work on the current lineup.

The 3/Y aren't even 10 years old; how often do you want a manufacture to redesign their vehicles? Most go through 10-year cycles and tend not to make any major chances mid generation.

Since the release of the 3/Y they have added to the 3/Y:
heated steering wheels
Heat Pump (all Y's had these)
Powered Trunk (all Y's had these)
CCS Language
Heated Wiper areas
Revised console
Switch from USB A to USB C
Dual Pane front side windows
Higher Resolution Computer Screens
Higher Resolution Cameras
Pedestrian Warning Systems
New Headlights (Matrix)
Switch from Chrome Trim to Black Trim
Addition of LFP Batteries
Comfort suspension

Then Highland...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4sallypat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.