Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I believe it is required. It runs a little slower than I would drive, but in a safe way (at least in the NYC/suburbs). If you give it go pedal, it will hold the speed you get it up to. I believe V12.3.1 already fixes this issue. I am still not sure how it will handle speed cameras if you manually increase the speed. I go by speed cameras on my commute, I am surrounded by traffic on the way home, so I didn't have an issue.

It no longer is "digital" it more analog, what I mean is, in versions 11 and before it seemed to want to keep speed until it needed to stop, then it would stop as soon as possible. It now acts like a human would, it slows down and "coasts" to stop signs and lights. It turns much smoother, most of the jerkiness is gone. It does a great job of being more assertive on the road, and "coasts" to give right of way instead of stopping. Everything it does, is much more human.

There are a lot of people falsely reporting that V12 is bad on the highway. V12 only changes city driving. It leaves the old V11 highway stack alone and changes the city portion to the new AI learning implementation. You can see the "Auto Max" switch to the old format as you enter highways.
I think you can turn it off, but I'm not sure if the car ignores the setting (when off the Auto/Max goes away). Everyone speeds, which I know is wrong, but it often feels like the car is reluctant to go with the flow of traffic. At least it isn't as insistent on not being in the right hand lane now.
Tesla NACS - CCS1 adapter from A2Z in Canada - just arrived in time for a road trip this weekend.

Let's see if I get angry looks or inquiring minds at Tesla Superchargers with my Ford EV....

View attachment 2363338
Does that connector work with AC charging as well as DC? I saw a X post where someone had an adapter that did work and the DC pins were energized while the vehicle was AC charging.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I think you can turn it off, but I'm not sure if the car ignores the setting (when off the Auto/Max goes away). Everyone speeds, which I know is wrong, but it often feels like the car is reluctant to go with the flow of traffic. At least it isn't as insistent on not being in the right hand lane now.

I just checked. Yes it is a setting that can be turned on/off.

Does that connector work with AC charging as well as DC? I saw a X post where someone had an adapter that did work and the DC pins were energized while the vehicle was AC charging.

That is weird, the official does not even have the AC pins. It is a DC only adapter.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
No, the adapter I have is only for DC only fast charger adapter.

You would have to buy a separate Tesla Destination (L2) to J1772 for AC.

A2Z is very hefty weight - solid feel.

First time using the adapter at Tesla SC - charging my Ford EV:

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
No, the adapter I have is only for DC only fast charger adapter.

You would have to buy a separate Tesla Destination (L2) to J1772 for AC.

A2Z is very hefty weight - solid feel.

First time using the adapter at Tesla SC - charging my Ford EV:

View attachment 2363658
View attachment 2363660
looks like you had a choice of chargers ;)
how did it compare to the DCFCs you've been using thus far?

Reactions: hobowankenobi

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
looks like you had a choice of chargers ;)
how did it compare to the DCFCs you've been using thus far?
Oh yes, there were a mind boggling amount of Tesla chargers available and only a few being used.

Tesla was much faster than Electrify America or Shell ReCharge and the benefit of very convenient locations on a road trip.

Price was about the same cost between all DCFC in the area so at least Tesla is competitive.

Half hour later and on my way!

IMG_1828.jpg

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Did you guys catch the Out of Spec Motoring trailer in the mountains test? The Silverado 4WT is pretty bonkers.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Tesla SuperCharger 500 mile road trip report.

Thanks to @a2z EV for shipping their Tesla NACS-CCS1 DCFC adapter just in time for a Southern California to Northern California road trip this holiday weekend.

Saved lots of time not having to hunt around for a few L3 chargers off the freeways at some random places.

Tesla's network is amazing - lower cost, lots of working & available chargers, convenient next to freeways and located at great shopping & restaurants.

Used Tesla charging exclusively except for charging at my parent's house.

Total cost using Tesla SuperChargers were lower than using the EVGo, ChargePoint, Electrify America DCFC by not having to hunt around wasting time & miles for working CCS chargers.

True plug and charge with Ford EV - no need to use an app or swipe a card.
Never going back to EA or EVGo with their higher prices either.
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1828.jpg

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
True plug and charge with Ford EV - no need to use an app or swipe a card.
Never going back to EA or EVGo with their higher prices either.

Nice report. Good to hear

...Or maybe not. As a Tesla Model 3 owner since 2018, I hesitate to share the awesomeness. :)

I see you pulled in at 49% and completed at 87%. Is your charing curve similar to most Teslas? If so, the ideal would be starting charging below 20%, and stopping closer to 80%...for the best miles per minute. Just curious.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
32 minutes for 88 miles? Driving 500-1000 miles in a day looks to be impractical with such numbers.
Lots of variables...but yes, this is not ideal.

When I charge my 2018 M3 on longer drives, I get quite a bit better. I can typically get in and out in about 20-25 minutes to get from about 20% to about 80% of a 260-mile range battery. 20-30 min. is just right for a bathroom break or food every 2-3 hours, with nearly no wasted time.

The important bit (at least on my car) is that the charge rate is much higher when the battery is ready to receive max charge rate: pre-conditioned, and at 20% or less. Equally important is mapping the next stop (super easy and automatic, at least in a Tesla), so one can stop at about 80%, the charge rate really drops off as the battery fills.

It is a bit opposite of ICE: Instead of filling to the tippy top, and driving until on E...to minimize stops, more frequent (but shorter time) stops maximize charging speeds, and thus minimize wait times. If one coordinates food stops with charge stops, there is nearly no wasted time...often done to a few extra minutes per stop. Stretch the legs, and watch the charge progress on your phone, and Tesla automatically notifies as the charge professes, so need to watch or check in. I typically walk up to the car within literally 1-2 minutes of being done feeling refreshed and ready for the next leg.

Keep in mind many newer cars charge faster, and newer SuperChargers are faster too. No place to go but up.

I fully acknowledge that some folks drive cross-country with shorter/less frequent breaks. I don't have that need or desire anymore.

Anybody that wants to see the optimized charging route and times of where you want to drive to...go use the Tesla route tool. Keep in mind this is the info that comes up automatically on the car's map, only better, with more info and nuance, including available number of charging stalls and turn-by-turn. Super easy to use.

Reactions: HDFan and jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

...Or maybe not. As a Tesla Model 3 owner since 2018, I hesitate to share the awesomeness. :)

I see you pulled in at 49% and completed at 87%. Is your charing curve similar to most Teslas? If so, the ideal would be starting charging below 20%, and stopping closer to 80%...for the best miles per minute. Just curious.
I was wondering the same, most if not all current batteries slow down rather quick on charging beyond 80%, but, they were on a roadtrip and I guess "it just happened".

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I was wondering the same, most if not all current batteries slow down rather quick on charging beyond 80%, but, they were on a roadtrip and I guess "it just happened".
Correct, after 90% SOC rate does drop to a slower rate.

Since I could not control when the charge level started, but I do control how much to finish at.

For local driving around my home/work, I charge between 80-90%.

On a road trip where there are not many chargers around, and in unknown territory, I always charge to 100%.

Never know if I run into a detour, bad weather, terrain changes, temperature drops, climate control use, etc...

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
32 minutes for 88 miles? Driving 500-1000 miles in a day looks to be impractical with such numbers.
Would you really want to do 1000 miles in a day? Personally I wouldn’t - unless a number of people share the driving duties, it’d be preferable to stop somewhere.

With my hip the way it is, I cannot sit in a car for more than a certain amount of time without eventually getting some pain. I’m fit, it’s just having screws holding a bone together has its drawbacks.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I think there are 2 electric vehicles that can get near those numbers in a single charge (that are sold in the US, I cannot speak for the Chinese models that claim 600 miles of range).

Silverado EV is rated for over 400 miles and Lucid has a couple of trims that can go over 400 miles. I think the Model S is rated for over 400 miles as well, but no one is able to hit that (that I know of).

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

Ideally you are correct.

Unfortunately when on a long distance road trip, it's not practical to run the batteries down and charge to 80%. I can do your strategy if I am at home/work where I know where all the chargers are located and my drives are short.

On unknown areas of driving, I always charge to 100% not knowing where my next charge would be.

Even when I was driving home with 80% charge, I pulled into a state freeway rest stop and they had 5 DC fast chargers for FREE ($0). Topped off to 95% while I had lunch there.

IMG_1605.JPG

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I have to ask: where is that location?
Interstate 5 Southbound at Lebec rest stop.

Interestingly, only the southbound rest stop has 5 DCFC.

The other side (Northbound) has zero.

Every time I drive from Nor Cal to So Cal, I stop by this rest stop because it has working DCFC.
Charging rates are around 30-60 kWh.

The other state rest stops along Hwy 99 have one charger, and most of the time inoperative or vandalized.

For free charging, paid for by Caltrans and state tax funds - wish they had more.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
Ideally you are correct.

Unfortunately when on a long distance road trip, it's not practical to run the batteries down and charge to 80%. I can do your strategy if I am at home/work where I know where all the chargers are located and my drives are short.

On unknown areas of driving, I always charge to 100% not knowing where my next charge would be.

Makes sense. I am spoiled with Tesla. Map, routes, stops, charging times, and preconditioning is all automatically scheduled. Nothing to really think about, unless I go back roads, or want to lean on non-Tesla charging...which I never have done yet in 92K miles.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Driving 500 to 1000 miles in a day in itself is impractical so there is that.

Would you really want to do 1000 miles in a day?

My road trips can run up to 5K miles. West Coast to Southern tip of Louisiana, Minneapolis, Glacier National Park up to the Canadian boarder, Columbia River Gorge. My normal minimum mileage goal for a day is 500.

FIX THE CONDENSATION CORROSION DESIGN FLAW

What is that?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My road trips can run up to 5K miles. West Coast to Southern tip of Louisiana, Minneapolis, Glacier National Park up to the Canadian boarder, Columbia River Gorge. My normal minimum mileage goal for a day is 500.

What is that?

Then you wouldn’t be the target market for an electric car in the current climate. I wouldn’t even buy a petrol car for that sort of mileage, it would have to be diesel.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Then you wouldn’t be the target market for an electric car in the current climate. I wouldn’t even buy a petrol car for that sort of mileage, it would have to be diesel.
After the VW fiasco I didn't think anyone sold new passenger cars with diesel engines in the US. Which would leave trucks that don't get good fuel mileage.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.