Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
so if/when you pull up into a hotel, and all the chargers are being used, and 1 or 2 are done charging already, you're ok with that when you'd prefer charging overnight vs having to stop at a fast charger the next morning? ok, that's fine.
Nope, I'd be annoyed, but that still doesn't give me the right to touch their property. But in reality I prebook such places at the hotels I stay at, I'm not the type of person to leave it to chance. I once had a hotel call me, asking nicely whether I minded if I let someone else stay in the reserved space.

You know you can settle such situations in a civil way without interfering with other people's property.

Destination charges are just that, for a destination, not an emergency top up as they are way too slow. No different then when you arrive at your favourite restaurant. I practice ABC so if there is a charging spot available I use it, if there isn't, no big deal as there is plenty to get back home.
But, "at a destination charger it is my cable" is an odd sense of entitlement in my opinion, but whatever works for you.
LOL You totally misread that; it literally is my cable ;) That is how destination chargers work, they aren't tethered.

Reactions: Anonymous Freak

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Often the destination chargers are untethered. So you literally have to use your own cable. If that was able to be detached once it was finished charging then it could easily be stolen.
Exactly! And considering that the secondhand value of such cables is in excess of GBP200 I'd like to keep mine. Not have others try and remove it, as in that case forget about the value of the cable the damage to the car will be much greater.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah ya'll type 2 connector is unplugged on both ends, which is why it is good it locks to the vehicle. You are not using J1772 like we are in North America. J1772, for most cars doesn't lock to the car like CCS1/2 do. NACS (A/C side) locks to Tesla's.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Often the destination chargers are untethered. So you literally have to use your own cable. If that was able to be detached once it was finished charging then it could easily be stolen.
haven't come across a destination charger where you have to use your own cable, is that a European thing? in that case I agree locking is beneficial

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
What I didn’t understand was the point that was mentioned that it locked when charging, but wasn't when finished. It didn’t make sense to me that the lock wasn't tied to the door locks.

I thought it was a requirement for all DC charging to have locks, it’s too dangerous to have that kind of Amps just dangling there, someone could trip over the cable and create a problem.
Agree with you on CCS fast charger locking.

Wish ALL manufacturers will lock the charge port so it can not get disconnected by a passerby or impatient driver who can't wait for my EV to finish charging.

I know many manufacturers (Hyundai, Kia, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, VW) all have locking CCS ports and releases only inside by the driver.

My Ford EV has a release / stop charge button that stops the charge and unlocks it.

That's where I am worried my NACS-CCS adapter will get stolen when charging unattended.
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 9.05.14 AM.png

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
…. LOL You totally misread that; it literally is my cable ;) That is how destination chargers work, they aren't tethered.
That explains why you kept talking about people messing with your property. I had thought you were talking about the J1772 Level 2 chargers that have an attached cable. You seem to be talking about a power outlet that You plug you own EVSE into.

I see the first type all over the place but I’ve never see the latter. Maybe because in the US, most power outlets would be 120v.

If it’s your cable then I can see why you would be touchy about it. If it is a public charging cable then unplugging it doesn’t require touching your property at all.

Reactions: jz0309

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
haven't come across a destination charger where you have to use your own cable, is that a European thing? in that case I agree locking is beneficial
Yup as good as all destination chargers aka L2 chargers in public are untethered. We’ve been over that before in this this thread.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
That explains why you kept talking about people messing with your property. I had thought you were talking about the J1772 Level 2 chargers that have an attached cable. You seem to be talking about a power outlet that You plug you own EVSE into.

I see the first type all over the place but I’ve never see the latter. Maybe because in the US, most power outlets would be 120v.

If it’s your cable then I can see why you would be touchy about it. If it is a public charging cable then unplugging it doesn’t require touching your property at all.

Yeah, in Europe, they have the charing unit with a port where they bring their own cable and connect it between the port and the vehicle.

We don’t have that. We either have a 220V outlet that you bring your own charger or a charger with its own cable you simply plug into your car (J1772 or NACS).

I like the European setup because the cable isn’t permanently attached to either end. The risk of damage is on the user, not the owner, so they won’t have the problem where they don't properly put it back and it gets run over so no one can use it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

In Europe as good as all public L2 chargers are untethered. And no they are not normal power outlets as they would be limited to about 3kWh, they are commonly 3phase thus can provide up to 22kWh and are found just on the street in parking bays, in council car parks, inside multi storey car parks, at hotels and train stations. Hence colloquially named destination chargers. Not intended for a quick top up to continue one’s journey. Hence really not an issue when occupied.

So many of those around the streets in Europe.

A typical home installation is also level 2 but with mandatory smart chargers it varies between single phase 7kWh and three phase (later is rare in the UK and tends to cost a lot).

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
In Europe as good as all public L2 chargers are untethered. And no they are not normal power outlets as they would be limited to about 3kWh, they are commonly 3phase thus can provide up to 22kWh and are found just on the street in parking bays, in council car parks, inside multi storey car parks, at hotels and train stations. Hence colloquially named destination chargers. Not intended for a quick top up to continue one’s journey. Hence really not an issue when occupied.

A typical home installation is also level 2 but with mandatory smart chargers it varies between single phase 7kWh and three phase (later is rare in the UK and tends to cost a lot).

Our destination chargers are typically limited to 11 kWh (60 Amp 220V) or less. Most being in the 6kWh or so range. A lot of people do not respect the access they have, the leave the cables on the ground where they can get crushed by cars.

I like the setup y’all have.

My question though is, what stops someone from using a damaged cable? Do the cables have built in sensors like the cables that are part of the chargers? For example my mobile or Wall connector (Tesla) detects excessive heat within the cable/plug and reports it back to the unit.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Our destination chargers are typically limited to 11 kWh (60 Amp 220V) or less. Most being in the 6kWh or so range. A lot of people do not respect the access they have, the leave the cables on the ground where they can get crushed by cars.

I like the setup y’all have.

My question though is, what stops someone from using a damaged cable? Do the cables have built in sensors like the cables that are part of the chargers? For example my mobile or Wall connector (Tesla) detects excessive heat within the cable/plug and reports it back to the unit.
Our official Polestar cables (I’ve got level 2, UK Plug and EU Schuco versions) all have that indeed. For example the Schuco we use at Airbnb and our own villa in south of France and it would automatically limit the pull indeed. I like it as you never have to change the car settings.

But not sure whether the cheap eBay or Amazon cables are good like that as well.

Reactions: JT2002TJ

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

Wow, wish we had these in the US.

I'd bring along my mobile charger if I can charge at 240V at up to 80 Amps.

Last edited:

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Cybertruck at my local Tesla Service Center. Frist time seeing it in person. It is MUCH bigger than it seems in pictures. After owning a Ram 1500, and missing the pickup truck utility, I really want this thing.

As a 2x Tesla owner, I like the new improved yoke, and the front seats are more like BMW sport seats (side bolsters). I immediately noticed how heavy the doors are, and the very solid thud when closing it, even with the windows open. The screen is big, there is tons of room in the back seat, and the bed is big!

It looks better in person, the pictures I've seen in the past do not do it justice.

img_9893-jpeg.999234

img_9895-jpeg.999237

img_9875-jpeg.999240

img_9894-jpeg.999242

img_9889-jpeg.999244

img_9869-jpeg.999238

img_9898-jpeg.999263

img_9866-jpeg.999262

img_9877-jpeg.999241

img_9880-jpeg.999235

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I just don't get it. It looks so old-fashioned to me. Like something created in the 1970s as to what cars would look like in the year 2000. Seats also look so flat and unsupportive.

Reactions: Tagbert

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I just don't get it. It looks so old-fashioned to me. Like something created in the 1970s as to what cars would look like in the year 2000. Seats also look so flat and unsupportive.

The pictures do not do it justice. It looks amazing in person.

Seats are very comfortable, think BMW Sport seats. When you get in, it hugs you. The rear seats are way better than my Ram, which had a 60/40 bench with flat bottom and flat backs.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Seats are very comfortable, think BMW Sport seats. When you get in, it hugs you. The rear seats are way better than my Ram, which had a 60/40 bench with flat bottom and flat backs.

I think it’s got some cool tech on it, but I wouldn’t have to see it in person to know it’s not a vehicle that appeals to me personally. The angled geometry just isn’t a design language I like for vehicles. I also doubt we’ll see it here.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I think it’s got some cool tech on it, but I wouldn’t have to see it in person to know it’s not a vehicle that appeals to me personally. The angled geometry just isn’t a design language I like for vehicles. I also doubt we’ll see it here.

It's more of a when you see it in person, it looks better, not that one would go from I hate it, to I love it.

It grew on me, initially I wasn't sold, but the pictures over the years brought me in. Seeing it in person sold it for me. I just don't have $80k - $100k to spend on a vehicle.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

I'll take your word for it; but having had a BMW M2 Competition, and other cars powerful cars I don't understand why these 'hugging' seats don't show up on photos. That seems to work for others.

I must admit I've got the same with the Model S and X; the seats just aren't good or perhaps very different to European car seat tastes. I like mine to hug me, even better like on a big car like the GLS we had with active seats that hug you even more when cornering. I think Kia does that now as well with their EV9. And Porsche has that on their active seats. For the price Tesla's are and the power they have they should do better in that area in my opinion.

Now don't get me wrong, out of novelty reasons if it was available here I'd probably would want one. 😇😜

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I'll take your word for it; but having had a BMW M2 Competition, and other cars powerful cars I don't understand why these 'hugging' seats don't show up on photos. That seems to work for others.

I must admit I've got the same with the Model S and X; the seats just aren't good or perhaps very different to European car seat tastes. I like mine to hug me, even better like on a big car like the GLS we had with active seats that hug you even more when cornering. I think Kia does that now as well with their EV9. And Porsche has that on their active seats. For the price Tesla's are and the power they have they should do better in that area in my opinion.

Now don't get me wrong, out of novelty reasons if it was available here I'd probably would want one. 😇😜

My commuter was a 2003 BMW 325i with Sports package. The Cybertruck front seats felt like they hugged just as well, and were more comfortable than the BMW seats. Not that the 2003 BMW seats are the top of the food chain, just what I can compare. Unfortunately, I didn't get to drive it, but the seats felt good.
I haven't had any complaints with my TM3/Y seats. They are comfortable enough to drive all day long. They also aren't tracked...

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
My commuter was a 2003 BMW 325i with Sports package. The Cybertruck front seats felt like they hugged just as well, and were more comfortable than the BMW seats. Not that the 2003 BMW seats are the top of the food chain, just what I can compare. Unfortunately, I didn't get to drive it, but the seats felt good.
I haven't had any complaints with my TM3/Y seats. They are comfortable enough to drive all day long. They also aren't tracked...
Ok, when you compare against a BMW 3 series designed in the 1990's then yes I agree, they are very similar 🤓.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Ok, when you compare against a BMW 3 series designed in the 1990's then yes I agree, they are very similar 🤓.

HAHAHA!

I just meant the ability to stay planted. Not like the luxury of dynamic bolsters in the S class MB.

Tesla's are not race cars. They are family vehicles that happen to be fast AF...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.