Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It's more of a when you see it in person, it looks better, not that one would go from I hate it, to I love it.

It grew on me, initially I wasn't sold, but the pictures over the years brought me in. Seeing it in person sold it for me. I just don't have $80k - $100k to spend on a vehicle.

They’d be a few cars on my list at that price way before a Tesla. A BMW M3 Touring or an Audi RS6 for sure lol.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I got invited to configure a founder edition cyber truck. Probably going to pass since I am more interested in the refreshed performance 3.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
HAHAHA!

I just meant the ability to stay planted. Not like the luxury of dynamic bolsters in the S class MB.

Tesla's are not race cars. They are family vehicles that happen to be fast AF...
Sure, but they are priced like they are in that segment. Even Kia do dynamic bolsters in their EVs, just to name a cheap brand. But many more a way more shaped, but granted most are European brands so may play a bit more to the demographic and local experience. I guess one of the many differences in what consumers want and expect.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
This is the prototype that finally interested me: The Mazda Iconic SP.

mazda_iconic_sp_1_l.jpg

mazda_iconic_sp_2_l.jpg

mazda_iconic_sp_5_l.jpg

Although not a pure EV, it can be a zero emissions drive train: a double Wankel rotory engine that can also run on synthetic fuel or hydrogen besides the conventional gasoline that only powers up the electrical drive train.
The same concept that nowadays powers the Mazda MX-30 R-EV.

So I will keep an eye on what Mazda will take over from the Iconic SP to the new RX-7 and if the technology has matured during the further development period.
I don't need to buy a new car in three years (my Mini Cooper S is still in presteen condition and my Mazda MX-5 RF will become a family loom) , so I've got time.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Sure, but they are priced like they are in that segment. Even Kia do dynamic bolsters in their EVs, just to name a cheap brand. But many more a way more shaped, but granted most are European brands so may play a bit more to the demographic and local experience. I guess one of the many differences in what consumers want and expect.

Tesla's used to be priced like luxury vehicles. They no longer are. A TM3 is in the mid $30k, Y in the mid $40k, S/X $70k. With the current pricing, Tesla's are priced like Honda, Toyota, Nissan... 2-4 years ago, I would agree with you, when a TM3 was in the $70k's. This is the price of being the first to change automotive game. Costs were higher initially. Now Tesla has lowered the prices, as they have gained access to cheaper components per vehicle.

And for overseas prices, you are importing them, so they are in line with other American non-luxury brands like Jeep, Chevy, Ford... For example, how much does a Jeep Grand Cherokee cost vs. a TMY?

Also, Tesla owners are paying for primary access to the best charging network (At least in the US). They are venturing out by granting access to manufacturers that agreed to switch to the NACS, but this is a benefit to Tesla owners as it gives more capital for expanding the network. Tesla owners also pay a lower rate without a monthly membership fee.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
A TMY is much better value than a JGC, no doubt about it. Still don't like the flat seats. I'd want them to do at least as an option and standard in Performance models a nice quality interior with some supportive seats.

Yes, charging network is not a selling point anymore in Europe. Plenty of other opportunities. Also what I find much more interesting is the charging curve. Perhaps it is maturity in understanding how EV's work. We were lucky with our first experience with our Polestar 2 as I didn't know anything about it. But as I'm actively looking into buying an EV for myself as well as a daily driver; and my typical journeys are cross continental not just 90% home and back to home. The charging curve is actually way more important to me.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
My commute (on a bicycle) sees me frequently in the slow traffic with the same Mercedes EQE350 each day - I really like that thing - especially the dash. We must both travel at the same time.

From outside it just looks completely modern. This one has a nice colour and wheel combination.

The other frequent commuter driver in the Quattroporte GTS - that thing is also gorgeous. It would be a hard choice between them.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was driving a 2024 VW ID.4 on a German plate in the Netherlands last week. First time I’ve properly been in one and of course it’s identical to drive as our Q4. Nice cars, I’d definitely have one.
5bd84423e74fecad0502463d039f0a27.jpg

I think the Netherlands is perhaps the most converted to EV’s that I have seen out of the countries I visit in Europe. I’ve been visiting multiple times a year for the past 8 years and seen the frequently of seeing EV’s grow at a much quicker rate to the UK. I know it’s less than a quarter of the size as a country but still. Poland is probably the worst for adoption. Whenever I go to our German office we can’t drive across to our colleagues in Poland as chargers seem to stop at the German border, it’s like they are hoping it never takes off lol.

Reactions: Tagbert

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I was driving a 2024 VW ID.4

Is the infotainment faster and more reliable now, ie, no locking up and crashing?

I'm watching a review of the Ford Explorer right now from a German channel, it is typically Ford with some annoying parts but other parts are really well done.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
FSD 12 is almost in the main branch now (it has been added to 2024.4, iirc main branch is on 2024.8). Curious to see if Tesla is able to "keep their word" on everyone in the US getting to try it out for a month.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Is the infotainment faster and more reliable now, ie, no locking up and crashing?

I'm watching a review of the Ford Explorer right now from a German channel, it is typically Ford with some annoying parts but other parts are really well done.

It seemed pretty fluid to be honest, no crashes while I was using it. Admittedly I was only using the sat nav and the radio was on, I was too busy concentrating whilst driving on the wrong side of the car and road lol.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

From a US Ford EV driver - Sync 4a on massive 15" center screens on both the F150 Lightning and Mustang Mach E have both been very responsive and no issues to date.

Only issue I have had is the front cameras on both EVs gets blinded by our sunny year around weather and loses the ability to track vehicles in front for collision avoidance and autonomous BlueCruise driving....

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
From a US Ford EV driver - Sync 4a on massive 15" center screens on both the F150 Lightning and Mustang Mach E have both been very responsive and no issues to date.

Only issue I have had is the front cameras on both EVs gets blinded by our sunny year around weather and loses the ability to track vehicles in front for collision avoidance and autonomous BlueCruise driving....
Collision avoidance on Fords don't use the radar?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
FSD 12 is almost in the main branch now (it has been added to 2024.4, iirc main branch is on 2024.8). Curious to see if Tesla is able to "keep their word" on everyone in the US getting to try it out for a month.
I'm loving v12.3. It is a game changer. I can't wait for the new city stack to replace the highway stack. It is amazing.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Did you turn on AutoSpeed? I'm not sure how I feel about it (still).

I believe it is required. It runs a little slower than I would drive, but in a safe way (at least in the NYC/suburbs). If you give it go pedal, it will hold the speed you get it up to. I believe V12.3.1 already fixes this issue. I am still not sure how it will handle speed cameras if you manually increase the speed. I go by speed cameras on my commute, I am surrounded by traffic on the way home, so I didn't have an issue.

It no longer is "digital" it more analog, what I mean is, in versions 11 and before it seemed to want to keep speed until it needed to stop, then it would stop as soon as possible. It now acts like a human would, it slows down and "coasts" to stop signs and lights. It turns much smoother, most of the jerkiness is gone. It does a great job of being more assertive on the road, and "coasts" to give right of way instead of stopping. Everything it does, is much more human.

There are a lot of people falsely reporting that V12 is bad on the highway. V12 only changes city driving. It leaves the old V11 highway stack alone and changes the city portion to the new AI learning implementation. You can see the "Auto Max" switch to the old format as you enter highways.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Being between our homes in the UK and Netherlands most of the time I’ve been spoiled with good charging infrastructure. The home we are renovating will have charging for two at the same time, but regardless. Polestar is helping further travelling cross continental; we had discounts with Ionity of 30% but not only other major networks like Fastned, Total Energies and Allego. But now we also get 30% discount at Tesla chargers. Absolutely awesome for my regular cross continental travel.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
This is the prototype that finally interested me: The Mazda Iconic SP.

View attachment 2360986
View attachment 2360987
View attachment 2360988

Although not a pure EV, it can be a zero emissions drive train: a double Wankel rotory engine that can also run on synthetic fuel or hydrogen besides the conventional gasoline that only powers up the electrical drive train.
The same concept that nowadays powers the Mazda MX-30 R-EV.

So I will keep an eye on what Mazda will take over from the Iconic SP to the new RX-7 and if the technology has matured during the further development period.
I don't need to buy a new car in three years (my Mini Cooper S is still in presteen condition and my Mazda MX-5 RF will become a family loom) , so I've got time.
That would be the perfect hybrid car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.