Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
The CCS1 adapter (as far as I am aware) doesn't carry the AC power pins, only the data pins. Note that CCS1 doesn't have those pins populated anyways. Could someone make an adapter that has both? Yeah. Will they, probably not.
This is correct.

I ordered a 3rd party adapter on my own dime because I want a backup in case it gets stolen while charging unattended.

NACS-CCS adapter uses the 2 large pins for DC and 3 smaller pins on the J1772 bottom for data.

That's important because the data from the Ford authorizes the Tesla SC to start.

$200 from Lectron or A2Z EV..

LectronNACS.jpg

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
This is correct.

I ordered a 3rd party adapter on my own dime because I want a backup in case it gets stolen while charging unattended.

NACS-CCS adapter uses the 2 large pins for DC and 3 smaller pins on the J1772 bottom for data.

That's important because the data from the Ford authorizes the Tesla SC to start.

$200 from Lectron or A2Z EV..

View attachment 2356681

CCS Adapters don’t lock to the vehicle???

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
CCS Adapters don’t lock to the vehicle???
Correct, the Tesla adapter can be disconnected by pressing the stop charge button in the center of the lights on a Ford EV.

During the charging, it's locked but by discontinuing the charge, the adapter and plug becomes freed.

Unlike the Tesla which locks the entire assembly until the driver turns off charging, the Ford does not have this feature.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you're into the model 3 refresh performance.

Rumors suggest it will be a fast vehicle. Rear motor has 113 more HP than the current model. Rumored estimates put 0-60 at maybe 2.6 seconds. Will be interesting to see what actually is announced.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Rumors suggest it will be a fast vehicle. Rear motor has 113 more HP than the current model. Rumored estimates put 0-60 at maybe 2.6 seconds. Will be interesting to see what actually is announced.
Gonna be blunt, I want to see Plaid levels of pull (or near enough) past 60. 0-60 is old hat at this point...

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I’m of the opinion they need to restrict these times rather than make them quicker. Our Q4 does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds and that feels ridiculously quick. A lot of accidents involving EV’s seem to be from people losing control whilst accelerating and it’s a concern.

Reactions: Tagbert

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’m of the opinion they need to restrict these times rather than make them quicker. Our Q4 does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds and that feels ridiculously quick. A lot of accidents involving EV’s seem to be from people losing control whilst accelerating and it’s a concern.
I’m with you. People used to slower ICE cars jump in and think, floor it! That’s just an accident waiting to happen.
Should keep the tyre companies happy though!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It may also be a difference in how roads are done in the States vs Europe. For highway travel people tend to drive 10-20 miles over the speed limit and on/off ramps sometimes don't give enough runway to merge at those speed differentials.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Correct, the Tesla adapter can be disconnected by pressing the stop charge button in the center of the lights on a Ford EV.

During the charging, it's locked but by discontinuing the charge, the adapter and plug becomes freed.

Unlike the Tesla which locks the entire assembly until the driver turns off charging, the Ford does not have this feature.

Yuck…

I do have a “Karen Adapter” for when I use a J1772 adapter to prevent the L2 plug from being disconnected from my J1772 to NACS adapter.

The NACS locking with the locked vehicle regardless of active charging or not really is a nice setup.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yuck…

I do have a “Karen Adapter” for when I use a J1772 adapter to prevent the L2 plug from being disconnected from my J1772 to NACS adapter.

The NACS locking with the locked vehicle regardless of active charging or not really is a nice setup.
Saved cost by not having the lock in the vehicle charge port. Which is funny because IIRC CCS1 does actually require the vehicle to have a lock in the charge port.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Gonna be blunt, I want to see Plaid levels of pull (or near enough) past 60. 0-60 is old hat at this point...
Definitely. Mid range pool is way more impressive, and useful in everyday driving.

It’s one of the things we like about the Polestar performance upgrade; one paper only 0.2 seconds 0-60 gain (although in reality it’s more like 0.8 when measured with draggy); but it’s the changed throttle map, mid-range pull that totally transforms the car and make the £1,000 upgrade so worth it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
They should learn to control the throttle then. I find it a bit surprising, been making a lot of test drives lately and found the eTron throttle map rather spongy, but to be fair refined. Tesla I found ok, but bordering on nervous and requiring a bit more getting used to.

Personally I would class 5.5 as fast anymore. Plenty of ICE hot hatches are way faster. And there are plenty of EVs that are slower as well.

Reactions: I7guy

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It may also be a difference in how roads are done in the States vs Europe. For highway travel people tend to drive 10-20 miles over the speed limit and on/off ramps sometimes don't give enough runway to merge at those speed differentials.
Oh how times have changed in the USA. It used to be the country of slow driving vehicles and sticking to the speed limits.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They should learn to control the throttle then. I find it a bit surprising, been making a lot of test drives lately and found the eTron throttle map rather spongy, but to be fair refined. Tesla I found ok, but bordering on nervous and requiring a bit more getting used to.
I drive the car in chill mode. Even at 4.2 seconds it’s faster than I need.
Personally I would class 5.5 as fast anymore. Plenty of ICE hot hatches are way faster. And there are plenty of EVs that are slower as well.
Those hot hatches you speak of are tin boxes, which doesn’t seem anyone of us would want to drive. But I would guess for most of us we don’t actually need a car that goes 0 to 60 in three seconds, but admittedly it’s fun to drive.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I drive the car in chill mode. Even at 4.2 seconds it’s faster than I need.

Those hot hatches you speak of are tin boxes, which doesn’t seem anyone of us would want to drive. But I would guess for most of us we don’t actually need a car that goes 0 to 60 in three seconds, but admittedly it’s fun to drive.
That was a Model X in chill mode. But it’s just a different throttle map. I find the Tesla’s setup more aggressive than others which I think is done to give the impression of being faster than they are.

As you say it’s plenty fast enough for every day driving. Even a standard Model X Long Range is plenty fast, I’d want a Plaid but it actually doesn’t make sense especially as the special mode requires conditioning and you can just call upon it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.