Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Wow, Tesla reduced the prices again. LOL Their prices are more volatile than bitcoin 🤣 You can now get a brand new Tesla Model 3 for less than €40.000 that is superb value for money considering that is the highland edition. That is now nearly €6K less than a BYD Seal, and into base level VW ID.3 territory. And delivery is generally within 2 weeks.

I wonder how low they will go…

Reactions: I7guy

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Wow, Tesla reduced the prices again. LOL Their prices are more volatile than bitcoin 🤣 You can now get a brand new Tesla Model 3 for less than €40.000 that is superb value for money considering that is the highland edition. That is now nearly €6K less than a BYD Seal, and into base level VW ID.3 territory. And delivery is generally within 2 weeks.

Yeah even Harry Metcalfe, a notorious petrol head of course, was very positive in his Model 3 review. I’d be tempted, it’s a great offer indeed.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yeah even Harry Metcalfe, a notorious petrol head of course, was very positive in his Model 3 review. I’d be tempted, it’s a great offer indeed.
Yes I like Harry although sometimes he just goes on and on and on 🤣

But yes, original TM3 I really don’t like, so unrefined that to me its just horrible. Heck this weekend was in the back of one; vibrations (again), and very noisy on the motorway. But the highland is like a totally different car that almost looks the same and even that they’ve improved.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Only on non-tesla's where the charge port is where it is on that Ford ;) Most don't have them there...Audi have them at the front but on both sides, Polestar, Volvo, Kia, you name it all the same place like Tesla...
Er, not quite. The predominant choice of where to put the charging port by more manufacturers appears to be the rear passenger side. By Tesla volume though, there are many more EVs on the road (Teslas) with rear driver side. Will all mfrs change to rear driver side after NACS adoption? Maybe, but doubtful.

The following is not exhaustive but indicates far from all mfrs have selected the Tesla charging port location. The key player here in my opinion is the Hyundai group all with ports opposite Tesla’s location choice. USA vehicles are ported as follows:

Nissan LEAF, Ford eTransit: front center
Nissan Ariya: front passenger side
Cadillac, Chevrolet, Toyota, Ford: front driver side
Audi: front, driver and passenger sides
Mercedes, Rolls-Royce, BMW, Hyundai, Kia, Genesis: rear passenger side
Tesla, Polestar, Volvo, Hummer: rear driver side

Last edited:

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019

Agree about value, except at this point I’m pretty firmly unwilling to make the transition to stalkless driving.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Charging non Tesla at Superchargers is going to be an issue with charge ports on non Teslas.

Parked crooked in a handicap space and on "no parking" zebra area:
View attachment 2370540
To be failr...I see parking like this in US all too often, on regular basis. In regular lots, nothing to do with charging. It boggles the mind.

Reactions: 4sallypat and I7guy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Er, not quite. The predominant choice of where to put the charging port by more manufacturers appears to be the rear passenger side. By Tesla volume though, there are many more EVs on the road (Teslas) with rear driver side. Will all mfrs change to rear driver side after NACS adoption? Maybe, but doubtful.

The following is not exhaustive but indicates far from all mfrs have selected the Tesla charging port location. The key player here in my opinion is the Hyundai group all with ports opposite Tesla’s location choice.

Nissan LEAF: front center
Nissan Ariya: front passenger side
Cadillac, Chevrolet, Toyota: front driver side
Audi: front, driver and passenger side
Mercedes, Rolls-Royce, BMW, Hyundai, Kia, Genesis: rear passenger side
Tesla, Polestar, Volvo, Ford, Hummer: rear driver side
I know what you mean but your observations did make me chuckle.

The big part you got wrong was drivers side and passenger side!
Here all Tesla’s have the charging port on the passenger side as we drive on the right.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
To be failr...I see parking like this in US all too often, on regular basis. In regular lots, nothing to do with charging. It boggles the mind.
Just remember ;)

Image.jpeg

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Agree about value, except at this point I’m pretty firmly unwilling to make the transition to stalkless driving.
In most cars, bar Kia/Hyundai platform, I'd agree. But even on the test drives with Tesla it makes sense in a Tesla. It felt really natural, and because the software is so tuned in and supportive as in anticipation it was no problem at all.

The only thing I really did not like was the gear shift on the screen, especially as the horizontal screen is slightly blocked by the steering wheel. But I understand that since then they've 'fixed' that as well by again anticipating the gear changes required.

I'm often critical of Tesla but fair is fair, they've got that part well sorted.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Yes I like Harry although sometimes he just goes on and on and on 🤣

But yes, original TM3 I really don’t like, so unrefined that to me its just horrible. Heck this weekend was in the back of one; vibrations (again), and very noisy on the motorway. But the highland is like a totally different car that almost looks the same and even that they’ve improved.
He does go on, but I haven't got anything better to do anyway. I do like how he lists prices of options and measures efficiency of charging. Most reviewers, especially more popular and biased ones provide fewer cold real world facts, surprisingly.

My employer would let me choose basically any car at this Model 3 price point regardless of power train. I would be tempted like I said, though where I live in particular charging would be an issue. So gas-powered or mild-hybrid that does not have to deal with charging would be like a 'luxury' to me. Currently I don't own a car, I'm not particularly biased one way or another. I would either go for the smart choice (Model 3, any Toyota, a VW, etc), or the fun choice if my employer lets me (Abarth 500eC in neon green?!). Anyhow, I love cars and I'll keep up with the news on any car and watch reviews regardless.

Still think the Model 3 looks like an egg on wheels though, which is exactly how Elon described an initial Model S design by Fisker before he was fired.

• Haha

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
So, the wife an I were waiting on getting a Fisker Ocean, but after seeing some recent reviews and seeing the company spiraling, we let go of that idea. We instead got a Bolt EUV, honestly we kinda realized we don't really do long drives super often, and we live in an urban area (Columbus, OH). With all the rebates, and trade in, we got a fully loaded EUV for $25K after taxes and delivery. We're moving soon (Burlington VT) and our only long drives will be to the mountains for hiking and camping, and VT looks to have a LOT of chargers/superchargers.

My only concern will be moving the car, I know towing EVs has issues and not sure if UHaul does flatbed trailers.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So, the wife an I were waiting on getting a Fisker Ocean, but after seeing some recent reviews and seeing the company spiraling, we let go of that idea. We instead got a Bolt EUV, honestly we kinda realized we don't really do long drives super often, and we live in an urban area (Columbus, OH). With all the rebates, and trade in, we got a fully loaded EUV for $25K after taxes and delivery. We're moving soon (Burlington VT) and our only long drives will be to the mountains for hiking and camping, and VT looks to have a LOT of chargers/superchargers.

My only concern will be moving the car, I know towing EVs has issues and not sure if UHaul does flatbed trailers.
Great choice! I've enjoyed my EUV for 18+ months trouble-free

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
TL;DR - you can easily have vehicles transported if you wish. We know several people who fly from their midwest homes to their homes in Florida for much of the year and have their vehicle(s) transported there and back, some do this twice a year. Not my personal choice, but certainly do-able if one desires.

A little over a decade ago we moved from Columbus, OH to about an hour’s drive North of Charlotte, NC. We drove our SUV but had two other cars moved. Our Nissan LEAF was put onto a car hauler with 9 other cars, like the ones you see unloading at car dealerships. We also have a 1964 Ford Thunderbird convertible that we had hauled in an enclosed trailer. Both made the trip just fine with no damage. The LEAF owner’s manual suggests towing is possible but we had a trailer to tow with the SUV. And with its underwhelming 30-mile range on a 100% charge, there’s no way to drive the LEAF that distance. We could have flown back to Columbus and driven the TBird back to NC but too much was going on with the move to entertain that, though it would‘ve been a fun trip. In retrospect we made the right choices for us.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

UHaul has full trailers that you can pull behind their trucks (or your own truck). This will get all 4 wheels of the ground.

GetPhoto.ashx

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

It might turn out to be better to just drive it. It’s probably a 10-12 hour drive which isn’t that long. Might be fun.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
It might turn out to be better to just drive it. It’s probably a 10-12 hour drive which isn’t that long. Might be fun

That's been a thought, the hospital she's looking to get into in VT has a moving stipend/discount system for relocating hires. We could just get movers and meet them in VT.

UHaul has full trailers that you can pull behind their trucks (or your own truck). This will get all 4 wheels of the ground.

GetPhoto.ashx
Thank you very much, right now my inquiries have been pretty surface level at the moment, as we're not planning on moving until early next year.

Reactions: Tagbert

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
FairCharge, Royal Automobile Association (RAC), Fully Charged etc have brought out The Little Book of EV Myths. It is a brilliant, emotionless, factual read of most of the objections and misinformation against EVs.

Covers things like:
- EVs are more expensive than combustion cars
- EV batteries don't last
- Evs regularly catch fire
- EVs pollute more than ICE cars
- EVs shift emissions from roads to power stations
- Hydrogen will displace EVs
- EVs cost more to maintain
- EVs have short ranges
- There aren't enough critical minerals in the world for EV batteries
- EVs lose much more range tan petrol cars in winter
- The mining of materials for EV batteries is very bad for the environment
- Charging an EV from the UK grid where the electricity is created by burning gas makes no sense
- Taking away the right to drive a diesel is a loss of freedom
- EV batteries run out of power and break down
- The car in the Luton (Airport) car park fire was an EV
- The choice of new EV models is very poor
- EV tyres cause high levels of particulate pollution
- The electricity grid won't cope
- 'Heavy' EVs will collapse multi-sotrey car parks and bridges
- Old EV batteries will be an environmental hazard
- Insurance for EVs is more expensive than combustion cars
- Synthetic fuels make more sense than EVs
- EV sales have slumped

Sure there is some UK bias/relevance, but the more global impact is covered. I think it is really good.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
FairCharge, Royal Automobile Association (RAC), Fully Charged etc have brought out The Little Book of EV Myths. It is a brilliant, emotionless, factual read of most of the objections and misinformation against EVs.

Covers things like:
- EVs are more expensive than combustion cars
- EV batteries don't last
- Evs regularly catch fire
- EVs pollute more than ICE cars
- EVs shift emissions from roads to power stations
- Hydrogen will displace EVs
- EVs cost more to maintain
- EVs have short ranges
- There aren't enough critical minerals in the world for EV batteries
- EVs lose much more range tan petrol cars in winter
- The mining of materials for EV batteries is very bad for the environment
- Charging an EV from the UK grid where the electricity is created by burning gas makes no sense
- Taking away the right to drive a diesel is a loss of freedom
- EV batteries run out of power and break down
- The car in the Luton (Airport) car park fire was an EV
- The choice of new EV models is very poor
- EV tyres cause high levels of particulate pollution
- The electricity grid won't cope
- 'Heavy' EVs will collapse multi-sotrey car parks and bridges
- Old EV batteries will be an environmental hazard
- Insurance for EVs is more expensive than combustion cars
- Synthetic fuels make more sense than EVs
- EV sales have slumped

Sure there is some UK bias/relevance, but the more global impact is covered. I think it is really good.
I don't care. I would rather drive a EV every day. Once you get past the whole savings the planet BS, and realize that in many ways it is just the superior experience day to day for many people then that whole list is irrelevant.

It is also laughable that they insinuate that EVs require more maintenance than ICE cars. That is demonstrably untrue. Of course there are edge cases, but on balance a car with very few moving parts will be much more reliable than a overly complex modern gas or diesel powered one.

I love my petrol car for the weekends, but commuting via EV is just better (if you can charge at home).

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don't care. I would rather drive a EV every day. Once you get past the whole savings the planet BS, and realize that in many ways it is just the superior experience day to day for many people then that whole list is irrelevant.

It is also laughable that they insinuate that EVs require more maintenance than ICE cars. That is demonstrably untrue. Of course there are edge cases, but on balance a car with very few moving parts will be much more reliable than a overly complex modern gas or diesel powered one.

I love my petrol car for the weekends, but commuting via EV is just better (if you can charge at home).
Totally agree, we got ours first and only because it’s just a great car.

Still it’s handy to have the fact guide debunking all those anti EV myths together in one place. afterall this is a place to share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.