Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Well, I am a 11” iPad user and I have briefly considered getting an iPad Mini. But the lack of a keyboard stops me.

However, the iPad keyboard (smart folio) is not that confortable after all, and I am making lots of mistakes lately while typing. I could switch to an iPad mini and just use the MacBook Air instead of the 11” iPP. However, I need a feature from the iPad so right now my only portable machine is an iPad.

Could an iPad mini replace my 11” iPad Pro on the college? Yes, but when I use it to type (like now, for instance) and make it *lappabe*, the mini can’t provide a good typing experience.
I could readily see a student using a MacBook Air with iPad mini with pencil for notes. Laptops have always been the real workhorses when writing papers IMHO. I know some try to do it all with pro IPad. With Monterey Universal Control should work out nicely.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Netflix was updated to fix aspect ratio yesterday, but I noticed I had to check the version info in the app store to see the update. It just gave me open rather then update when searching for that app initially.

Saw the same on my 2021 12.9 but it updated normally on the Mini 6.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Well, I am a 11” iPad user and I have briefly considered getting an iPad Mini. But the lack of a keyboard stops me.

However, the iPad keyboard (smart folio) is not that confortable after all, and I am making lots of mistakes lately while typing. I could switch to an iPad mini and just use the MacBook Air instead of the 11” iPP. However, I need a feature from the iPad so right now my only portable machine is an iPad.

Could an iPad mini replace my 11” iPad Pro on the college? Yes, but when I use it to type (like now, for instance) and make it *lappabe*, the mini can’t provide a good typing experience.
I personally think the mini is just too small for a keyboard like Apple’s iPad keyboard folio or Magic keyboard folio. Too small to make touch typing a pleasant experience. However, a Bluetooth keyboard like Apple’s Mac Magic Keyboard plus the mini works great (and works both wired and wireless, fyi).

If I were going to use an iPad as my only portable device like a laptop-replacement, I’d probably stick with an 11” iPad Pro and the Magic Keyboard. In my case, I have a MacBook Air and a 2018 11” iPad Pro that I could use instead of the new iPad mini if I needed different capabilities or if I needed a keyboard full-time. I don’t usually use my iPad for long typing sessions, so the mini 6 plus Pencil has been my go-to mobile device since I got it.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Netflix was updated to fix aspect ratio yesterday, but I noticed I had to check the version info in the app store to see the update. It just gave me open rather then update when searching for that app initially.
HBOMax was updated too but they didn't fix anything. Sad. If Netflix can fix it in 3 weeks, it can't be that hard.

If you go into Picture in Picture mode and then switch back to full screen, it shows itself correctly then immediately snaps back to the shrunk aspect ratio. Pretty lame.

Reactions: Realityck

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Just got a mini 6, replacing my mini 5. Overall, really like the form factor and the larger screen. Touch ID on the power button will take some getting used to, but overall, I really like this device.

Jelly scrolling is not an issue for me, I typically scroll very slowly when I am reading and there I do not see any jelly effect when I scroll this way. If I scroll very fast, and look for the effect, I can see it, but for me, it's not an issue.

Overall, glad with the purchase and I will be keeping this new mini.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Just got a mini 6, replacing my mini 5. Overall, really like the form factor and the larger screen. Touch ID on the power button will take some getting used to, but overall, I really like this device.

Jelly scrolling is not an issue for me, I typically scroll very slowly when I am reading and there I do not see any jelly effect when I scroll this way. If I scroll very fast, and look for the effect, I can see it, but for me, it's not an issue.

Overall, glad with the purchase and I will be keeping this new mini.
I would venture to guess that this is typical of most people.
Glad you are enjoying your new mini as much as I am.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I had the iPad Pro 11 M1 128GB Wi-Fi model for about 2 weeks then I returned back to Best Buy a few days ago due to the following:
1. Overpowered for my usage.
2. Uncomfortable to hold for more then 10 minutes
3. I prefer a smaller tablet
4. The backside of it felt like it was swelling
5. I really did not want purchase must haves accessories for it such as the magic keyboard
6. The iPad OS is not optimized for the M1 processor yet.

I picked up my Space Grey Mini 6 256GB Wi-Fi version with AppleCare yesterday at the Apple store. I’m glad that I didn’t need to wait 5 weeks if I ordered it directly from Apple. I do notice the jelly effect on the screen in portrait position, however it’s not too bad, even on the iPad Pro that I returned had the jelly effect in some degree. For every day tasks, the mini 6 is the perfect tablet. So far, I’m enjoying using it.

Please Apple, we need an iPad Pro Mini as soon as possible. It’ll be a hot seller.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Just got mine today. It’s taking some getting used to. Why is it so difficult to find an Apple Smart Folio?
Seen this thread?
There are a lot of case vendors without mini 6 sized products still.

Reactions: beach bum

chrisclover

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
I had the iPad Pro 11 M1 128GB Wi-Fi model for about 2 weeks then I returned back to Best Buy a few days ago due to the following:
1. Overpowered for my usage.
2. Uncomfortable to hold for more then 10 minutes
3. I prefer a smaller tablet
4. The backside of it felt like it was swelling
5. I really did not want purchase must haves accessories for it such as the magic keyboard
6. The iPad OS is not optimized for the M1 processor yet.

I picked up my Space Grey Mini 6 256GB Wi-Fi version with AppleCare yesterday at the Apple store. I’m glad that I didn’t need to wait 5 weeks if I ordered it directly from Apple. I do notice the jelly effect on the screen in portrait position, however it’s not too bad, even on the iPad Pro that I returned had the jelly effect in some degree. For every day tasks, the mini 6 is the perfect tablet. So far, I’m enjoying using it.

Please Apple, we need an iPad Pro Mini as soon as possible. It’ll be a hot seller.

The iPad Pro mini? Lol. I hope the next gen iPad mini could be equipped with a 120hz OLED display and rounded edges. But it would not come any time soon.We need to wait at least 2 years.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Loving mine, the form factor is just so cool, and it feels like a whole different tool than a full sized iPad. I love throwing it in my vest, and carrying it around as a sketchbook.

Screen looks GREAT, by the way.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Seen this thread?
There are a lot of case vendors without mini 6 sized products still.
lol yeah been following that thread too…I just want the dark cherry apple smart folio. 8 to 10 weeks from Apple. Instead of buying a case in the meantime I added AppleCare+ and will just run around with it naked. I have a bad habit of trying random Amazon cases, never returning them and always end up with an Apple branded case anyway.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
lol yeah been following that thread too…I just want the dark cherry apple smart folio. 8 to 10 weeks from Apple. Instead of buying a case in the meantime I added AppleCare+ and will just run around with it naked. I have a bad habit of trying random Amazon cases, never returning them and always end up with an Apple branded case anyway.
Keep checking Apple’s online store. I found a Dark Cherry Smart Folio available for pickup at a local (sort of) Apple Store when the shipping times were 4-6 weeks.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

When I ordered my mini 6 online, it showed the Dark Cherry folio was only available for shipping. When I went to pick up my iPad though, I asked about the Cherry folio and the store had it in stock. Might be worth trying walk-in if you've got an Apple Store nearby.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
When I ordered my mini 6 online, it showed the Dark Cherry folio was only available for shipping. When I went to pick up my iPad though, I asked about the Cherry folio and the store had it in stock. Might be worth trying walk-in if you've got an Apple Store nearby.
Even when online it shows as not available at local store?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
reread your response @rui no onna

Cool I may try my store, but about an hour drive lol.

Lol, guess I'm spoiled. I've got two Apple Stores within 15 minute walking distance (Glendale Galleria and Americana).

I do believe Apple Stores keep separate stock for in-store pickup and walk-in customers. Understandable considering retail relies on foot traffic and they probably don't want to have a lot of disappointed walk-in customers because all the stock has been bought up by online customers.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Ok so I had enough best Buy points for a 10 dollar off gift cert and there’s a black smart folio, semi-locally. After looking at the hue of the purple mini I got, I think the black may go a little better. I could mistake the iPad for space gray any day of the week, even had to double check the box. Lol.

chrisclover

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
This is exactly what is making me contemplate getting a Mini. As much as I like the iPad, I've never owned one as I've never seen the need. The Mini seems like a great device for what you describe, as it's got a larger screen than the phones but is still portable. I haven't decided if I'm going to bite yet, but in part that's because I'm wondering if I should get the smaller Pro instead for the extra storage, faster chip, the ability to connect a smart keyboard etc. However, then I remember the same thing you mentioned above - I'd just use my laptop at that point. The Mini seems like it would augment the phone rather than replace the laptop, and this feels perfect.

Mini 6 is an iPhone 13 promax Plus which cannot dial and has an inferior display.

• Haha
Reactions: mizzourah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.