Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clystron

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
I enjoy mine, still getting used to touchID in the power-button though.
Jelly-scrolling is something that I have seen on every single iPad I have owned so I fail to see why it should be a big issue now. I only notice it when I look for it though, in normal use it fades away most of the time.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I wanted one, but the base storage is too little for me. I think i'll end up getting one for my wife who is starting to complain a lot about her iPad mini 4. Should be a huge performance jump for her.

Still a little worried about storage, but for her its mostly a web browsing device.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I wanted one, but the base storage is too little for me. I think i'll end up getting one for my wife who is starting to complain a lot about her iPad mini 4. Should be a huge performance jump for her.

Still a little worried about storage, but for her its mostly a web browsing device.
I have 42 GB free out of 64 GB use it mostly for web browsing, streaming apps, various other apps, some images, games. If I had to could use USB-C port for external SSD storage. Mini 4 processing wasn’t capable of drawing web pages as fast as you can scroll. Now you can, but don’t try to read content until it locks and sharpens in a split second on a mini 5 or 6. ;)

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I use an 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard when I need the extra screen size or the keyboard but found I was using my iPad mini 5 a lot more often than the Pro. So getting the mini 6 was a no-brainer. The Apple Pencil 2 support, faster speed, and larger screen size more than justify the cost.

The mini 6 is the perfect size for taking quick hand-written notes while on the go; the adherent Pencil 2 really facilitates this function. The size is also perfect for reading eBooks—no surprise there—it’s pretty much the size of a trade paperback but slimmer and lighter. It fits in my hip/sling pack making it easy to carry everywhere. I couldn’t be happier with my mini 6.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Hmmm....I wasn't even thinking about the Mini until I stumbled on this forum. I had a mini years ago but switched to Pro a few gens back because of the pencil. Currently on last year's Pro...wonder if I should give the Mini a try :) For those who have both...when do you find you use the Mini and when the Pro?
I use my mini 6 almost all the time. The 12.9 inch iPad Pro sits on a side table, charging in its Magic Keyboard unless I 1. want to type a long passage using a physical keyboard or 2. Want to watch a movie on my lap, wearing headphones. Everything else, including streaming TV news in the morning, gets done on the mini 6. I love using the mini for jotting down short notes using Pencil 2 and for reading books—it’s pretty much the same size as a trade paperback only slimmer and lighter.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I LOVE mine - except for Touch ID.... I can rarely get it to work.... I do just drag up on the screen and I can put in my PIN number. So I do that most of the time.... When I have to do Touch ID with the store or something else, it works right away, but not for unlocking....

I use it for out and about, reading and for church - taking notes; play Mahjong when waiting for kids etc... I do use it every day - I do use my 12.9's every day too.....

Reactions: mizzourah

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I LOVE mine - except for Touch ID.... I can rarely get it to work.... I do just drag up on the screen and I can put in my PIN number. So I do that most of the time.... When I have to do Touch ID with the store or something else, it works right away, but not for unlocking....

I use it for out and about, reading and for church - taking notes; play Mahjong when waiting for kids etc... I do use it every day - I do use my 12.9's every day too.....
I wonder if you delete your fingerprints and try again. This is my first touch ID device since the last time the phone had one and since initial set up, it hasn't failed (currently knocking on wood). I get success every time it's used for unlocking, shopping, app install, etc. So maybe retrying your prints would help. Just a thought maybe.

Reactions: LibbyLA

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019

Touch ID works fine for me every time. Rescan finger prints or you might have a bummed sensor.

Reactions: DotCom2

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I wonder if you delete your fingerprints and try again. This is my first touch ID device since the last time the phone had one and since initial set up, it hasn't failed (currently knocking on wood). I get success every time it's used for unlocking, shopping, app install, etc. So maybe retrying your prints would help. Just a thought maybe.
Can't really use it yet as I using a modified drop proofcase that doesn't have the right cut out for doing fingerprints, kinda a pain. It worked fine before that for me.

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
Just returned mine. Keeping the 11” iPad Pro. I really wanted to love it because of the more portable form factor but I had major problems with the poorly optimized UI (everything is too small) and the downgrade in screen. I miss the 120hz, I miss the brightness. Jellyscroll or not, there was just something about the mini that kept giving me eyestrain and headaches when I have never experienced either on my 11” pro. I also felt the cramped screen size much less productive for note taking and pdf markup with the Apple Pencil.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Can't really use it yet as I using a modified drop proofcase that doesn't have the right cut out for doing fingerprints, kinda a pain. It worked fine before that for me.
Bummer but I have to say that your choice here isn't really wrong - the thing is so little (love it) and lightweight (again love it) that the better choice is to prevent drop damage vs being able to fingerprint.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Touch ID works fine for me every time. Rescan finger prints or you might have a bummed sensor.
I've been having much better luck with Touch ID on my 24 inch iMac and my iPad mini 6 than I ever did with Touch ID on previous devices, including a 16 inch MBP. That said, the functionality remains intermittent. It appears to be dependent on the oils in my fingertip, since it fails most often if I have just finished washing my hands thereby removing the oils. You might spend a little time seeing whether your experience mirrors mine. When it gets really bad, I do need to rescan my fingerprints--but at least it's functional enough for it to be worth my while to do so. With earlier (?slower, ? less well programmed) iterations of Touch ID, it worked so infrequently that I simply stopped using Touch ID altogether.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Just returned mine. Keeping the 11” iPad Pro. I really wanted to love it because of the more portable form factor but I had major problems with the poorly optimized UI (everything is too small) and the downgrade in screen. I miss the 120hz, I miss the brightness. Jellyscroll or not, there was just something about the mini that kept giving me eyestrain and headaches when I have never experienced either on my 11” pro. I also felt the cramped screen size much less productive for note taking and pdf markup with the Apple Pencil.
I'm having similar concerns after using it for a few days. Everything is too small. UI is poorly sized, especially the widgets, and then all that space around the app icons is ridiculous. I got it for taking notes at work but holding that small mini while trying to handwrite notes doesn't feel natural. Thinking I may return and go back to my '18 12.9 Pro

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I'm having similar concerns after using it for a few days. Everything is too small. UI is poorly sized, especially the widgets, and then all that space around the app icons is ridiculous. I got it for taking notes at work but holding that small mini while trying to handwrite notes doesn't feel natural. Thinking I may return and go back to my '18 12.9 Pro
Writing notes just felt strange to me no matter how I tried to hold it. It was a bit better in landscape mode than portrait for me (I think because my palm had a bit of room to rest on the screen), but then there was so little room vertically that there was a lot of scrolling involved. I think if I was just using the device for consumption it would have been great (well minus the 60hz and tiny UI) - but as soon as I tried to do anything productive I really wanted the larger iPad. The main reason I got an iPad at all is as a paper replacement, so any drop in utility in that category makes it harder to justify for me.

For me, the mini was better to carry, but the Pro is better to actually use.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Writing notes just felt strange to me no matter how I tried to hold it. It was a bit better in landscape mode than portrait for me (I think because my palm had a bit of room to rest on the screen), but then there was so little room vertically that there was a lot of scrolling involved. I think if I was just using the device for consumption it would have been great (well minus the 60hz and tiny UI) - but as soon as I tried to do anything productive I really wanted the larger iPad. The main reason I got an iPad at all is as a paper replacement, so any drop in utility in that category makes it harder to justify for me.

For me, the mini was better to carry, but the Pro is better to actually use.
sounds like we have similar use cases and issues and for that, the Mini might not be for us.

Reactions: mizzourah

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
So far, I really like it. Haven't explored or tried out everything yet, but so far so good. Definitely an improvement.

Because I've used my mini 5 primarily for reading, and have the Apple smart cover for it, I got the same for the mini 6. Due to the need for the Pencil's attachment, this configuration is less comfortable to hold for a long time since the edges of the mini 6 are exposed. Not a huge deal but it's possible I may switch to another case that's more comfortable to hold for extended periods. Otherwise, no complaints!

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Here is a extensive lab review into the mini 6 operation with all parameters looked at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.