Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raps27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
who thinks that. I want Pac-Man and Pole Position Remix, but dont got enough in my account:mad:

Macisgr8

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
2.99$ should be the msot for a game or app.

Theres somany good ones for free as it is.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
2.99$ should be the msot for a game or app.

Theres somany good ones for free as it is.

I disagree. For iPhone apps and games it takes a lot of development time and money. For some more complex games like X-plane $2.99 would be too cheap for how much effort was put into it (don't worry it took more than two weeks to develop it) and for things like an office suite I would easily fork over $39 for a decent one.

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This expectation that all apps should be free or cheap is ridiculous. If you want quality you have to be willing to pay for it. The app store is filled with enough crap as it is.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I agree with Kevin and Jimmy above except I will be a little more blunt....get a friggin life and job!!!

You think these Dev's are here for your benefit??? They pay for, develope, test and all the other stuff for your lazy butt to be entertained!!! You need to pay for what is developed and whatever they decide to charge is there business. If you want it, then get a friggin J.O.B. if you can't afford it then sit there and twiddle your thumbs...the nerve of some of these welfare cases is really startin to PISS me off!!! :mad:

raps27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
I agree with Kevin and Jimmy above except I will be a little more blunt....get a friggin life and job!!!

You think these Dev's are here for your benefit??? They pay for, develope, test and all the other stuff for your lazy butt to be entertained!!! You need to pay for what is developed and whatever they decide to charge is there business. If you want it, then get a friggin J.O.B. if you can't afford it then sit there and twiddle your thumbs...the nerve of some of these welfare cases is really startin to PISS me off!!! :mad:

im just saying. and im not even the age to get a freakin job, otherwise i would

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT

You can work at any age...I did! There are plenty of folks out there willin to pay for yard work and such...you to good for that?

Get a friggin job if your going to complain about the cost of something through a thread or suck it up and quit your cryin about the cost of something that Dev's deserve to get paid for.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
If Namco wants to make their games cheaper they will but there should NOT be a limit to price (well... not one that low!). Then developers wouldn't try as hard, or try at all.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

raps27 said:

you have an iPhone and you're not old enough to work? getting a job, or at least making money, should be at the top of the list of things you need to do.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

People under the age of 16 (average state working age) should then understand why the games are the price they are. This is why I disagree with giving them such a phone like the iPhone at an age. Nothing in the App Store should be free because of the time and effort required to program something (not to mention the developer fees). And I am of course excluding applications like two certain ones which charge for a simple drag and drop. Sure, they paid the developer fees, but paying $99 to come out with an application that just displays an image is ridiculous.

Not to mention the regular cell phone games. I don't see in anyway that the iPhone games should be less than $9.99. Gameboy, PSP, DS games of similar quality (whether it's Tetris, Super Monkey Ball, etc.) are over $9.99. The fact that the iPhone has free applications is amazing. Last I remember, even the regular phone games which are terrible in quality and features cost $5 or more.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
It's up to Dev to set price, but no way I'm paying $9.99 for pac-man.

Game may be complicated to build, but actual game itself isn't and doesn't replay value to justify $9.99. It's like L.E.D football being $9.99 (although I like L.E.D football more then pac-man). Fun game but not worth $9.99 going by gameplay.

Saying there shouldn't be free iPhone software is like saying there shouldn't be free software period. Since you compared PSP prices to iPhone take a look at mac or windows apps. Gimp, Firefox, Adium, VLC, NetNewsWire, Cyberduck, Openoffice, core-ftp, Pidgin etc.. all are free. For most if not all of those there are also paid alternative.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If a game is as old as I am, it shouldn't be a frappin' $10. Yada yada about developing them, but these games were just adapted for the iPhone and, from what I can tell, not exactly jazzed up to the point of $10. If they were $5, I might buy one.

However, I do agree with some of the sentiment about app prices. Pay no attention to my previous paragraph. OK. There seems to be way too much whining about app prices. Discussion is OK (which this seems to be), but half of the old reviews on the App Store were just "This should be free." Thank goodness for the review policy change.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
They can charge whatever the price they want, they own the games or the license. People don't have the pay the price if they think it is too high.

Myself, I have purchased two of them for my phone but I never play them.

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
I agree. I've bought quite a lot on the app store (yes, even beejive for 13 euros) but I would never buy pac man for that price. I won't suggest a price I would pay for it since it really is up to the dev to set the price. If they've set it at that price it must be for a reason. All I'm saying is that I'll never pay that amount for that app.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008

My daughter is 12, she has been working for 2 years and buys all of her own Ipods, she has made close to or over $2000 each of the last 2 years (since she was 10). Don't give me the line that you aren't old enough to work, if you can be part of an internet forum you can get a job of some sort.

I'm also pretty tired of the complaint that if I want it I should be able to get it. Take some personal responsibility, earn some money and then you can buy it. It will be all the more enjoyable knowing that you worked for it. It is not your right to own all the Apps you want, it is a privilege.

Rant mode off.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
My daughter is 12, she has been working for 2 years and buys all of her own Ipods, she has made close to or over $2000 each of the last 2 years (since she was 10). Don't give me the line that you aren't old enough to work, if you can be part of an internet forum you can get a job of some sort.

I'm also pretty tired of the complaint that if I want it I should be able to get it. Take some personal responsibility, earn some money and then you can buy it. It will be all the more enjoyable knowing that you worked for it. It is not your right to own all the Apps you want, it is a privilege.

Rant mode off.

12?!??!

Wow. +15

Your daughter seems very mature and responsible.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
This is the problem - people want quality games, but they also want cheap games. And in most cases the two cannot mix. For a true quality game, you've got a team of at least 6 or 8 working for at least a few months. But what development company is going to do that for a $3 game, when they can pay for the same 6 or 8 people for the same time, and release a DS game for $35? Sure, then you have to pay for the cartridge (like $5) and a fee to Nintendo (probably like $5), distribution and give the retail store part of the proceeds, but in the end you're still making like $20 for that game. And that's not even considering the 80 million DS owners, all game-oriented.

Personally, I think Apple started too low in costs, actually. Most games started as $10, Tetris at $15. If we want quality games, not just crappy cell-phone games, it would have been best to start with quality games like Super Monkeyball and Tetris at $20 and games like the Namco games at $10.

If a game is as old as I am, it shouldn't be a
frappin' $10. Yada yada about developing them, but these games were just adapted for the iPhone and, from what I can tell, not exactly jazzed up to the point of $10. If they were $5, I might buy one.

Just "adapted" to iPhone? They had to write all the code from scratch. They had to research and in some ways guess how the original games even worked - every little rule about how things work in the game, how the levels get harder, exactly how fast to move everything. And someone had to take/find the art and convert it to a format the iPhone could use, creating themselves the art if they couldn't use the original. Same with sound. The only thing you are really saving on making an old game is in game design, art style, and in some cases, creating new art (although you still have to make entire menu systems that didn't exist in the original game). And even then you throw all those savings out the window if you make an "updated" version of the game to include with it.

Just saying. 20 year old games are only barely cheaper/easier to make than brand new ones.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Just "adapted" to iPhone? They had to write all the code from scratch. They had to research and in some ways guess how the original games even worked - every little rule about how things work in the game, how the levels get harder, exactly how fast to move everything. And someone had to take/find the art and convert it to a format the iPhone could use, creating themselves the art if they couldn't use the original. Same with sound. The only thing you are really saving on making an old game is in game design, art style, and in some cases, creating new art (although you still have to make entire menu systems that didn't exist in the original game). And even then you throw all those savings out the window if you make an "updated" version of the game to include with it.

Just saying. 20 year old games are only barely cheaper/easier to make than brand new ones.

Oh I know there's plenty of work that goes into it. What I was trying to say is it's not like they're building a new game from scratch. They didn't have to build a blueprint.

But despite all that, you're talking about $10 for a game that a good portion of customers have played a bunch (like Pac-Man) versus stuff that's pretty darn new (Spore Origins). I'd rather drop $10 on Spore than Pac-Man, although I get the allure of "classic" video games. I just think they'd have an easier time with $5 since the Namco Museum discs for all the gaming systems are $20 for 4 games, compared to the $50 new game prices.

njpodder

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
It's really very simple. If you don't want to pay $10 for Pac-Man, then DON'T! If yo uthink you "deserve" Pac-Man on your phone at a cheap price, go program it and release it cheaper. If you think that the price is too high, and enough people agree with you, then they will see that their game is not selling, and they will offer it on sale to offset the cost of not selling enough copies of it. Essentially, Developrs can and SHOULD charge what they think their game is worth. People will vote with their dollars, and the market will correct itself. I am willing to pay for a game if it is a quality game. I don't care a thing for Pac-Man at $9.99 or $0.99 so they won't get my money either way, but I had no problem whatsoever forking over $9.99 for SMB, it was worth the price to me. Some games, I will wait to see if the price goes down. If it doesn't, then I decide if it worth that price to me or not. I don't understand why so many people are willingt o fork over hundreds of dollars on an iPhone/Touch, but think that all good software should be free or "cheap." I remember when we used to pay $150 for an entry elvel Palm handheld, and $40 for the office suite to go with it, or $20 for a good game. As much as I jump on the chance to play a great game for free or for cheap, for a device that rivals the DS and PSP in terms of quality, I don't think $9.99 is asking too much for a quality game.

Then there is the issue of sponsored games. This is a great idea. I have been in marketing and advertising for a while. I don't know about this particular example (I am just assuming and using an actual game to make my point) but I am willing to bet that the creator of the Fat-Free Video Poker game got a lot more money from the advertisers in the sponsored version than the people who fork over $1.99 for the paid version. In marketing, we pay good money to have 10,000+ people download your free app and see our ad everytime they fire it up to play. It's a win-win. The app is free, so more people download it, and the more people that download, the farther our reach is extended. Again, I don't know about that particular game, but it made a nice example.

/end rant

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England

njpodder got it bang on. We should force them to program their own version and after they have researched, built, tested the app and submitted it to apple we should see what price they would charge and then go on at them about how it should be free! Maybe then they will learn some respect for the devs that have put a lot of passion and effort into their work.

I have no idea how much a nintendo ds game costs so I'll guess around £25-£30 But if for example they ported secret files of tunguska or final fantasy 3 I would easily drop that kind of money.

amousa

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Apparently many people have no concept of how much time and effort go into programming/testing/supporting an application or game. Sorry, I don't want to invest 100-300 hours initially plus another 3-4 hours per DAY to make 25 cents profit per sale (post taxes, apple's share, etc.) with 10 sales a day. Not worth it. Having said that..all my apps are 3 bucks or less, but so far it's not been enough. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.