Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Just sold my Mac, going surface book. Anyone else making a change? I'm simply sick of the Nickel and diming Apple does. $20 for a usb-c to usb cable which should be included, two USB-C multi port adapters for $79 a piece, extra power brick which of course doesn't come with the USB-C cable.

This unit has a detachable 13/5 inch screen, the screen quality 3000x2000 is incredible.
13 hour battery life
Upgradable base/dgpu
latest skylake processors

Gotta say guys, I think Microsoft has hit a homerun here. Not a fanboy of either company but
they have hit a homerun. I have used macs the past 5 years, it's time for a change.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Just sold my Mac, going surface book. Anyone else making a change? I'm simply sick of the Nickel and diming Apple does. $20 for a usb-c to usb cable which should be included, two USB-C multi port adapters for $79 a piece, extra power brick which of course doesn't come with the USB-C cable.

This unit has a detachable 13/5 inch screen, the screen quality 3000x2000 is incredible.
13 hour battery life
Upgradable base/dgpu

Gotta say guys, I think Microsoft has hit a homerun here. Not a fanboy of either company but
they have hit a homerun. I have used macs the past 5 years, it's time for a change.

Good luck with terrible window scaling, random app crash and BSODs, overheating issues, privacy issues and so on and so forth.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
The fact still remains that Windoze will crash 100x more than a Mac. Anyways, even Windoze fanboys complain about wobble when using touch screen, feeling like it's going to tilt then drop on the floor when used in the lap (due to being top heavy), and of course that it didn't come with Windoze 7 SP1 since it's 50x more stable than Windoze 10.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
The fact still remains that Windoze will crash 100x more than a Mac. Anyways, even Windoze fanboys complain about wobble when using touch screen, feeling like it's going to tilt then drop on the floor when used in the lap (due to being top heavy), and of course that it didn't come with Windoze 7 SP1 since it's 50x more stable than Windoze 10.

The so called wobble issue is a non factor.. Sure it's not as stable as a typical hinge but it practical use provides no issues whatsoever. Windows 10 is a real game changer, it's light, fast and extremely stable. People like to bash Microsoft for the issues in the old days. (blue screens, etc.).. Microsoft has hit a home run here and it will put a deep dent in MBP and Ipad Pro sales. Apple made a huge mistake not releasing a non-IOS tablet device..

Reactions: bhodinut

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
The so called wobble issue is a non factor.. Sure it's not as stable as a typical hinge but it practical use provides no issues whatsoever. Windows 10 is a real game changer, it's light, fast and extremely stable. People like to bash Microsoft for the issues in the old days. (blue screens, etc.).. Microsoft has hit a home run here and it will put a deep dent in MBP and Ipad Pro sales. Apple made a huge mistake not releasing a non-IOS tablet device..

Nope. This Windoze fan explains it all in the video:

Reactions: Max(IT)

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Big words for unproven products. Sure, I was very enthusiastic at first when the Surface Book was announced, but at the current prices and with the current state of Windows I don't intend to switch.

I'll stick with a MacBook Pro / iPad Pro duo with two of my favourite OSs, iPhone compatibility and great amounts of quality apps thank you very much.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I tried one out at Best Buy yesterday. IMO it's very well built, the top portion isn't quite as wobbly as I thought it would be and the screen is fantastic. However the trackpad is a little wonky (the physical feel is great though, it's just like a MacBook), I really don't like that weird gap when it's closed, and I'm still not so big on switching back to Windows. Windows is actually OK in my book, but I can't see myself going back to it as my main OS after using OS X for almost a decade.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'm not a fan of MS and really try to give them as little money as possible. Windows 10 v OS X six of one half dozen of the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFEPPL

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands

You know the Surface Book with the better internals costs like $2500 right? No idea what your budget is or which Mac you used previously, but at that price the Surface Book is easily as expensive as what Apple is offering, if not more.

Reactions: haudvereor

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I always found this depiction of Microsoft innovation to be appropriate:

SurfaceInnovation.jpeg

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I took a look at the new Surface Pro 4 at my local Best Buy. They didn't have the Surface Book on display yet. I was very impressed with the screen and the new version of the type cover. Since the Surface Pro 4 is a refinement of several predecessors, I think it's a proven system and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I want to wait until actual user reviews come in about the Surface Book before I'd think about buying one. Spec-wise, both Surface machines look very compelling.

I don't pay attention to anyone whose posts contain the terms "Windoze" and "M$." While those terms may have been clever at one time, that was a very long time ago. They're tiresome now. At least try to be original in expressing your bias in the absence of facts.

I've been using Windows on desktops and laptops for a very long time. I've only had one BSOD, and that was caused by a memory module that failed. I recently installed Windows 10 on a desktop machine I built myself, and I like the OS. My system boots to the desktop in under 15 seconds and it's very stable even under stress testing.

I'm brand agnostic. I will buy whatever brand offers what I need. My current laptop is a mid-2009 13" MBP that I've upgraded with an SSD, and I had to replace the battery. It's been the best laptop I've owned, but it's showing its age. I've been holding on for Apple to release new laptops with the Skylake processor. But I'm at the point where I'm considering the Surface line of products. I'm not convinced I need a touch-screen display tablet/laptop since my iPad 2 is my least used device. So I'm going to think it over a bit longer.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere

13 hour battery life
Upgradable base/dgpu

I'm just waiting for my Surface Book to arrive.

But it'll be in _addition_ to my Macs.

I certainly have been disgusted and put off by some of Apples antics in recent years but those are largely to do with how they operate. Apple has always been a bit strange. Overall I enjoy their products and I don't plan to walk away at this juncture.

Witnessing first hand, via my Surface Pro 2, then 3, the Microsoft advancements it's very refreshing to experience a Microsoft resurgence. While not perfect, I have never sought perfection, just excellence.

Reactions: Queen6

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

13 hour battery life
Upgradable base/dgpu

So... You are comparing the thinnest Apple laptop, most lightweight, to one of the thickest devices on there, the most heavy and expensive Microsoft PC?

Cool story bro, if you don't have a specific need besides having the latest gadget on the market, good luck...

Reactions: poematik13

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
The fact still remains that Windoze will crash 100x more than a Mac.
Not sure if you are serious but if you are then you are very wrong. Windows does not crash. Since Windows 7 I have not had a crash or BSOD or anything of that nature.
My mid 2014 MBP has crashed a few times in Yosemite and a couple of times in El Cap.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
So... You are comparing the thinnest Apple laptop, most lightweight, to one of the thickest devices on there, the most heavy and expensive Microsoft PC?

Cool story bro, if you don't have a specific need besides having the latest gadget on the market, good luck...

Champ, they weigh the same.. No "most lightweight bs". You're drinking the kool-aid.. Guess you believed the "everything has changed" marketing as well.. What changed is Apple just got kicked in the face with this release.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

3.48 lbs

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...59235&ef_id=VimqMQAAAM-bnTMO:20151025185115:s

3.48 lbs

Reactions: AFEPPL

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
While the specs of the Surface Book are impressive, Windows 10 is still....Windows. Bloated, buggy (yeah..it has its own issues) and always trying to get you into an Office 365 subscription.

Reactions: cbautis2

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Champ, they weigh the same.. No "most lightweight bs". You're drinking the kool-aid.. Guess you believed the "everything has changed" marketing as well.. What changed is Apple just got kicked in the face with this release.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

3.48 lbs

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...59235&ef_id=VimqMQAAAM-bnTMO:20151025185115:s

3.48 lbs

Ahhhhhhhh....

Typical troll move.

At first:

You spoke against the 2015 MacBook Retina...

No you are comparing the Surface Book with the MacBook Pro.

That MBP has more ports that the SB, yet, it's thinner that the SB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max(IT) and AirLinc

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
While the specs of the Surface Book are impressive, Windows 10 is still....Windows. Bloated, buggy (yeah..it has its own issues) and always trying to get you into an Office 365 subscription.
I hate that you have to opt out of 10+ options after installation if you want to maintain a modicum of privacy. I also don't like that it's trying to trick you into signing up for or signing into a Microsoft account at every opportunity (but then, recent Mac OS versions are also quite pushy about signing up for iCloud). The Windows UI is still a bit schizophrenic between desktop and touch. It doesn't have a Unix shell and tools. But bloated and buggy? Nope. The footprint is actually a bit smaller than Mac OS', and it's been quite a while since I last encountered a serious bug in release versions of Windows. The few crashes that I had in 8.1 and 10 were all caused by buggy 3rd party drivers. Given that Windows has to support a much broader variety of hardware than Mac OS, I think it's actually phenomenally stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.