Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
I don't understand why apple CarPlay is so limited, no browser, no youtube, no games is this a joke? do they know about the tesla infotainment system or they just don't care? what about bluetooth? we have to go & buy an adapter for wireless? developers have no interest in the car at all?

Reactions: upnorth85

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
The not unreasonable logic I guess would be that if you are in situation where doing any of the above would be a sensible idea then you could just pick your phone up to do it.

Reactions: countryside

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
do they know about the tesla infotainment system or they just don't care?
Well, Tesla's auto drive allows you to do 90 miles an hour down the freeway during rush hour traffic while fully asleep in the back seat. You want CarPlay to do that too?

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
As a daily CarPlay user it lets me access Maps, calls, read\respond to messages via Siri, access locations to navigate to from the calendar and play Music or various radio streaming apps...think thats more than plenty to play with whilst also trying to drive a car!!

For what its worth Android Auto doesnt do much more, as standard it only allows access to navigation apps, phone calls, messaging via voice recognition and music\audio streaming apps just like CarPlay. Probably easier to fool it to allow access to other stuff but doesnt mean its right they are used. I cant see the cops accepting that it was ok to be speeding because you were watching the latest iPhone unboxing video via Youtube!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It would be nice to have these kind of apps enabled when your vehicle is in park.
As soon as the engine is on and the thing is in drive, I want the driver to focus on the road. Sure, let folks watch YouTube or whatever when parked.

I thought wireless CarPlay is a thing with more modern cars?
Certainly seen people shifting to park for that standing at stoplights and even in some traffic where they come to a stop just to watch something for a bit -- not sure that really fits in with safe driving.

Reactions: bluespark

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't understand why apple CarPlay is so limited, no browser, no youtube, no games is this a joke? do they know about the tesla infotainment system or they just don't care? what about bluetooth? we have to go & buy an adapter for wireless? developers have no interest in the car at all?
Not sure if that is limitation as much as working as designed given the main idea behind something like that in the context of driving a car.

As for wireless CarPlay, that would be something that the car or headunit would need to support, as more and more newer ones do.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
What I can't understand is why CarPlay is so flaky when I try to have it play downloaded music on my cabled 11Pro iPhone. Half the time it can't seem to find the downloaded music either by verbal command or physical touchscreen. Maybe it is my 2018 Jeep's implementation? I do have a lot of music downloaded.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Are you serious?

Why? Because you are launching a 4,000 pound object down the road at speeds up to 100 MPH.

As far as wired v wireless, that is totally on the auto manufacturer or the head unit manufacturer. Apple offers both.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Certainly seen people shifting to park for that standing at stoplights and even in some traffic where they come to a stop just to watch something for a bit -- not sure that really fits in with safe driving.

That’s certainly ridiculous.

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
guyz thanks 4 the interest but I think we need something to do when parked. on the other hand is it better to crash while using the iphone?

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
That isn't really what something like CarPlay has been designed for.

Seems like neither one should be used for those sort of purposes when driving.

our point is the same if someone is irresponsible he could use the iphone while driving and its more dangerous

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
our point is the same if someone is irresponsible he could use the iphone while driving and its more dangerous
That doesn't mean that things should then be designed or done differently because someone can decide to do something else that is dangerous. That's not how things work.

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
why don't they remove all applications from the iphone just in case they will be used while driving

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

because you're meant to be driving your car and watching where you're going, not screwing around with CarPlay.

The CarPlay UI is bad enough without those things, siri would be great if it worked reliably, but fumbling around for buttons on a non-tactile UI instead of turning dials or pushing physical switches is far more dangerous than my old non-carplay head unit used to be.

Apple need to implement some sort of controller support like BMW did for I-drive so you can select things without having to look directly at the screen to hit relatively small non-tactile widgets on a display - or deal with siri which gets things right about 30-40 percent of the time - rather than doing it by feel.

Ideally hook into the car's steering wheel controls.

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
dwfaust an irresponsible user has the iPhone option anyway, thats my point. I would prefer an iPad in my car than apple carplay and get all applications & features & use them responsibly

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
dwfaust an irresponsible user has the iPhone option anyway, thats my point. I would prefer an iPad in my car than apple carplay and get all applications & features & use them responsibly

It's good to know that you're a "responsible" distracted driver.

If you aren't driving, pull out your iPad.

If you are driving, get off the road. People like you kill people like me (Motorcyclists).

This. Exactly.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Distracted driving kills. But you go right ahead... I'm sure you can handle it... until some little kid chases a ball into the street in front of you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.