Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Distracted driving kills.

I've personally lost a friend due to a distracted driver, and several other friends have been injured due to them (and I've dodged plenty of them doing dumb stuff and not looking/swerving all over the road, etc.), so I have zero tolerance for it.

You can spot them from a mile off if you know what to look for and observe how the car is behaving, people think they can multitask like that but they simply can't.

It's been tested/shown to be just as bad as 0.08 BAC.

CarPlay is supposed to help minimise that, not encourage it.

Reactions: countryside

JacobHarvey

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
Somewhere
dwfaust an irresponsible user has the iPhone option anyway, thats my point. I would prefer an iPad in my car than apple carplay and get all applications & features & use them responsibly

So because people can already do the wrong thing with an iPhone while driving we should simply enable another easy way to do the wrong thing with CarPlay?

Sure there could be an argument to enable additional features in the future if the car is in Park + the electric Handbrake is on (making it a 2 step process to further discourage idiots just shifting into park at stop lights).

I DO NOT want them to enable youtube and other crap in CarPlay while people are driving at high speed in a 2 ton hunk of steel and just trusting the average joe out there to 'act responsibly' (way too many idiots out there). A distraction for a split second can end lives on the road, we don't need more distractions while driving

• Love
Reactions: throAU

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
I totally get your point, I'll try to investigate tesla reckless drivig & I'll be back
please don't tell me that autopilot is working, we don't need to drive anymore

Last edited:

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
One thing many people forget is CarPlay is very basic and doesn’t have any idea if the car is parked or in motion. It has no input from the drivetrain.
Sure that could be implemented but it’s difficult when you have 70 manufacturers and want them all to work to some standard just so you can watch YouTube at a red light in park.
I fitted an aftermarket unit to an older car, how would that scenario work if it needed inputs from different systems?
I think it’s brilliant and offers everything I need from it. I’m not going to sit in my car and watch videos or play solitaire.
For some reason Siri doesn’t seem as good as Siri when just using my phone standalone which doesn’t make any sense as far as I can tell.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
why don't they remove all applications from the iphone just in case they will be used while driving

When driving just don’t distract yourself. I don’t care what stupid displays you glance at when your eyes should be on the road. That’s the one job you have as a driver.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
why don't they remove all applications from the iphone just in case they will be used while driving

Why? Because a responsible person would ignore distractions when driving, and be free to use whatever app they choose when they are NOT driving. It's called self-control, and it's what decent people do. Selfish people do not use self-control at all, as they only care about themselves and what they want to do whenever they chose to do it. Time to grow up and act responsibly.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Well you see, they try to only allow you to do things that won't involve you killing yourself and/or others while doing it.
Right, so Apple limits it and instead everyone drives around using their phone because Apple limited Carplay.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Why? Because a responsible person would ignore distractions when driving, and be free to use whatever app they choose when they are NOT driving. It's called self-control, and it's what decent people do. Selfish people do not use self-control at all, as they only care about themselves and what they want to do whenever they chose to do it. Time to grow up and act responsibly.
You obviously don't frequent S. Florida roads much do you NO F'CKs are given by anyone.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Right, so Apple limits it and instead everyone drives around using their phone because Apple limited Carplay.

That’s not an excuse. Your main job is to ficus on driving. Tough luck if the entertainment isn’t to one’s liking.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You obviously don't frequent S. Florida roads much do you NO F'CKs are given by anyone.

Probably some of the most selfish and irresponsible statements ever spoken. And clearly not an excuse for anything.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Probably some of the most selfish and irresponsible statements ever spoken. And clearly not an excuse for anything.
Again, you obviously don't frequent our roads or you would understand the comment.

Everyone, south of West Palm Beach is constantly on the phone while driving and either talking, texting or both and that includes the cops. All while aggressively weaving in and out of the nation's worst traffic with no turn signals and speeding.

So again down here no F'cks are given and people do as they please no matter what Apple does.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Again, you obviously don't frequent our roads or you would understand the comment.

Everyone, south of West Palm Beach is constantly on the phone while driving and either talking, texting or both and that includes the cops. All while aggressively weaving in and out of the nation's worst traffic with no turn signals and speeding.

So again down here no F'cks are given and people do as they please no matter what Apple does.
That’s one of the reasons my wife and I sold our home in Florida and moved to Vermont two years ago.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

And what you don't seem to understand is that IT DOESN'T MATTER. Just because some people choose to be absolutely selfish and irresponsible does NOT excuse the rest of us from exercising restraint and demonstrating responsible adult behavior.

Reactions: countryside

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People doing something they aren't supposed to do doesn't mean that things should be changed to make it even easier for them to do all that somehow. That's not how things work.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Don’t forget that there are government regulations as to what a car infotainment can display and be interacted with. I’m sure it varies state to state but in NY, for example, it is unlawful to have a video playing within view of the driver. Apple has to meet these requirements in order for it to be approved for public consumption. Since CarPlay is universal, it has to be legally compliant for every state. End of story.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Another sad attempt at an excuse.
“I’m entitled to wrong cause others do wrong too.”
Just pathetic.

Reactions: noobinator

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
People doing something they aren't supposed to do doesn't mean that things should be changed to make it even easier for them to do all that somehow. That's not how things work.

Well said. We’re looking at yet another case of common sense not being that common anymore.

Reactions: noobinator

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
One thing many people forget is CarPlay is very basic and doesn’t have any idea if the car is parked or in motion. It has no input from the drivetrain.

Well, the phone definitely knows its in motion because it tracks location for maps. It wouldn't be difficult for CarPlay to know you are driving or stationary at all.

That said, enabling people to watch YouTube or whatever at lights is just a dumb idea. Just because the light is red doesn't mean things like emergency vehicles, out of control cars, red light runners, etc. aren't still a thing. Just because you're parked doesn't mean you can/should just switch your brain off.

For some reason Siri doesn’t seem as good as Siri when just using my phone standalone which doesn’t make any sense as far as I can tell.

Would be your Mic placement or quality. I have aftermarket CarPlay (Alpine) and Siri is about as good as normal.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Well, the phone definitely knows its in motion because it tracks location for maps. It wouldn't be difficult for CarPlay to know you are driving or stationary at all.

That said, enabling people to watch YouTube or whatever at lights is just a dumb idea. Just because the light is red doesn't mean things like emergency vehicles, out of control cars, red light runners, etc. aren't still a thing. Just because you're parked doesn't mean you can/should just switch your brain off.

Would be your Mic placement or quality. I have aftermarket CarPlay (Alpine) and Siri is about as good as normal.
Yeah drivetrain input is not necessary. GPS alone can determine speed and when the phone is connected to CarPlay, it knows the vehicle is in motion when there is movement and a speed being registered.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah drivetrain input is not necessary. GPS alone can determine speed and when the phone is connected to CarPlay, it knows the vehicle is in motion when there is movement and a speed being registered.

Even if GPS is unavailable, the phone has a gyroscope in it (which it uses to measure motion) and also tracks location via wifi, etc.

The phone knows much more accurately how fast it is going than your speedometer. :) The gyro is accurate enough for image stabilisation, exercise tracking, etc.

Reactions: Itinj24

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

Cant you turn GPS off? So it would require people have it turned on to allow a small minority of people to do things the system wasn't designed for.

Mic placement in my experience is a huge deal. My wife has factory fitted CarPlay and the mic is right below an air vent rendering it essentially useless.
I fitted a sony unit in my car and ran the mic up the drivers windscreen pillar and it is so much better.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Even if GPS is unavailable, the phone has a gyroscope in it (which it uses to measure motion) and also tracks location via wifi, etc.

The phone knows much more accurately how fast it is going than your speedometer. :) The gyro is accurate enough for image stabilisation, exercise tracking, etc.

But then we would have people complaining they can't watch YouTube on cross channel ferries, god dam it TIM!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.