Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
When I say suburbs, I am not including the downtown areas of these suburbs either.

I live in an urbanized area of a basic city here in the United States. (Phoenix, namely), I live in Downtown Proper. But sheesh, I feel like the suburbs are a brain drain for these people, who can't accomplish basic tasks like using a parking meter, or paying for a train ride.

For example, speaking of paying for the train/buses. We have an app you have to download, it will display a QR code, you scan it prior to every boarding. There are huge letters in the app that says "SCAN BEFORE BOARDING"....guess what? Every time I see one is un-scanned, it's from a suburbanite. (The scan before boarding goes away and the screen turns green after the first scan), They will try everything OTHER than scanning the barcode, like walking past the two little poles with scanners on them that say "Scan Mobile Barcode" on them. Or when getting on a bus, they try to show the QR code to the driver, rather than, seeing the pole in front of you that says "Scan Mobile Barcode" on them. If they buy physical tickets, they don't bother to validate them first by sticking it in the machine, they just think their passes are good after they bought them from the gas station or whatever. Oh let's not forget the ones who tried to buy two passes "one for the train" and "one for the bus"......THEY ARE THE SAME PASS, you would know that if you just turned the thing over. The app accepts Apple Pay, and many of them will try to use Apple Pay directly on the reader, but we don't do that here.

Okay, what if they decide to drive into the city? Surely they can master this right? WRONG. usually they stand there dumbfounded with how to use the credit card parking meter, or try to park and "run in somewhere for 15 minutes", and then have the audacity to get mad when they get a ticket for parking there and not paying the meter. Or when they try to exit one of the prepaid parking garages with signs all over that says to pay before you exit, or use a credit card to exit, they try to feed a machine cash that doesn't accept it at all (Cash users have to take their ticket to a pay station and get it validated). Don't even get me started on how many can't parallel park to save their lives.
Also when you do drive into the city, you can stay parked right there, and take the buses & trains to get around, that way you aren't forced to find a different parking spot each time. When I explain this to some people, they look at me like deer in the headlights.

As pedestrians? It can't be that hard to WALK around right? I mean most were born with this ability! They just don't care about their surroundings at all, and walk against all of the traffic lights right in front cars, not caring who they inconvenience. I don't care if people jaywalk, but FFS if there is a car already there with the green light and the right of way, you let the MF'n car pass through the intersection first! Oh also, if there are light rail/tram tracks in the middle of the road, DON'T STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM!

Even worse is when I see them do it with a baby stroller, angers me to all hell that they just don't care and even put their baby who has no control themselves in danger.

What is it with all of this? Do the suburbs just drain your brain of all common sense? I never would ever want my kids to grow up in the suburbs! If this is how they behave with small little old Phoenix, Arizona, how the hell would they ever do New York City, or London??

/Rant Over.

P.S. If you do have to grow up in the suburbs, please do yourself a favor and try to visit the city more often and familiarize yourself with how things are done. Thanks. At the very least if you are going to ride public transit, visit the transit agency website and do a little reading first.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will start this off by saying that I live in Phoenix, West Valley past 99th Ave. We (my wife and I) moved here from California in 2000. Our kids were born here. We've lived in the West Valley only. So, I guess that would count as suburban? IDK.

I can't relate to your issue with the bus and downtown parking only because I had a driver's license and a car at 16. Driving anywhere in California is a thing and taking the Metro in Phoenix is hugely inconvenient over driving. It's also very rare that we have any reason to be downtown at all. I won't even get into light rail. That's a Central and East Valley thing. Maybe they'll get to the West Valley in 20 years or so.

But I do get your frustration with pedestrians. People seem to be mainly self-centered. My big pet-peeve is jaywalking. I've seen it happen when a crosswalk is literally 20 feet away. But people can't be bothered to walk to the crosswalk. They'd rather stand in the middle of a busy street (let's say Camelback) and endanger themselves just because they want to cross where they want to.

I did have one guy a a couple months ago though, when I happened to be in the East Valley. He decided to leave the train and walk across four lanes of traffic. I had a green light and right of way but he insisted on crossing right in front of me. I laid on the horn and when he noticed I wasn't slowing down his entitled self started running. His friends were smarter than him and held back, but they were still standing in the middle of a left turn lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: dontwalkhand

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
how the hell would they ever do New York City, or London??
Don't worry, we're all idiots here in London:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I live in So Cal, and we hate when Zonies come to town. They can't drive or park and have no clue where they are going and look like deer in the headlights. I live in the 'burbs near San Diego.

See how that works... I am waiting for the person from a nearby state that hates SoCal drivers... so pretty much Oregon, Nevada, Utah and of course, Arizona... haha.:D

• Haha
Reactions: eyoungren

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
When I say suburbs, I am not including the downtown areas of these suburbs either.

I live in an urbanized area of a basic city here in the United States. (Phoenix, namely), I live in Downtown Proper. But sheesh, I feel like the suburbs are a brain drain for these people, who can't accomplish basic tasks like using a parking meter, or paying for a train ride.

For example, speaking of paying for the train/buses. We have an app you have to download, it will display a QR code, you scan it prior to every boarding. There are huge letters in the app that says "SCAN BEFORE BOARDING"....guess what? Every time I see one is un-scanned, it's from a suburbanite.

Not arguing against your point, as it's been a while since I've been to Phoenix, but how do you know which people boarding the bus/train are from the suburbs & which aren't? Seems like a pretty broad assumption to say that everyone that has an issue is from the suburbs.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Technology has made public transit a lot more confusing for infrequent riders. It's great when you use transit every day, but usually a real pain for noobs. I'm an experienced transit rider, and I have to really slow down and concentrate when I'm about to ride a new system, but I also try to read about it online in advance so I can know what to expect. Most people can't be bothered, sadly. So many systems' payment systems could and should be designed with more thought and care, but they'll just invent a bigger idiot to counter that.

The suburbs hardly have a monopoly on clueless, self-involved people. So many of them overrun the large, dense cities I've lived and worked in, wandering into traffic like distracted squirrels, double parking and blocking traffic without a care in the world, drunkenly bellowing in the streets at 2AM, ad nauseam.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Not arguing against your point, as it's been a while since I've been to Phoenix, but how do you know which people boarding the bus/train are from the suburbs & which aren't? Seems like a pretty broad assumption to say that everyone that has an issue is from the suburbs.
I agree with you about the OP's comments.

One's "likes" and "dislikes" at play; similar to words that annoy us. Only if assimilated by the BORG, one would not be annoyed by what others say or do :)

Last edited:

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Don't worry, we're all idiots here in London:

View attachment 2311182

View attachment 2311185

For example, speaking of paying for the train/buses. We have an app you have to download, it will display a QR code, you scan it prior to every boarding. There are huge letters in the app that says "SCAN BEFORE BOARDING"....guess what? Every time I see one is un-scanned, it's from a suburbanite. (The scan before boarding goes away and the screen turns green after the first scan), They will try everything OTHER than scanning the barcode, like walking past the two little poles with scanners on them that say "Scan Mobile Barcode" on them. Or when getting on a bus, they try to show the QR code to the driver, rather than, seeing the pole in front of you that says "Scan Mobile Barcode" on them. If they buy physical tickets, they don't bother to validate them first by sticking it in the machine, they just think their passes are good after they bought them from the gas station or whatever. Oh let's not forget the ones who tried to buy two passes "one for the train" and "one for the bus"......THEY ARE THE SAME PASS, you would know that if you just turned the thing over. The app accepts Apple Pay, and many of them will try to use Apple Pay directly on the reader, but we don't do that here.

Okay, what if they decide to drive into the city? Surely they can master this right? WRONG. usually they stand there dumbfounded with how to use the credit card parking meter, or try to park and "run in somewhere for 15 minutes", and then have the audacity to get mad when they get a ticket for parking there and not paying the meter. Or when they try to exit one of the prepaid parking garages with signs all over that says to pay before you exit, or use a credit card to exit, they try to feed a machine cash that doesn't accept it at all (Cash users have to take their ticket to a pay station and get it validated). Don't even get me started on how many can't parallel park to save their lives.
Also when you do drive into the city, you can stay parked right there, and take the buses & trains to get around, that way you aren't forced to find a different parking spot each time. When I explain this to some people, they look at me like deer in the headlights.

As pedestrians? It can't be that hard to WALK around right? I mean most were born with this ability! They just don't care about their surroundings at all, and walk against all of the traffic lights right in front cars, not caring who they inconvenience. I don't care if people jaywalk, but FFS if there is a car already there with the green light and the right of way, you let the MF'n car pass through the intersection first! Oh also, if there are light rail/tram tracks in the middle of the road, DON'T STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM!

Even worse is when I see them do it with a baby stroller, angers me to all hell that they just don't care and even put their baby who has no control themselves in danger.

What is it with all of this? Do the suburbs just drain your brain of all common sense? I never would ever want my kids to grow up in the suburbs! If this is how they behave with small little old Phoenix, Arizona, how the hell would they ever do New York City, or London??

/Rant Over.

P.S. If you do have to grow up in the suburbs, please do yourself a favor and try to visit the city more often and familiarize yourself with how things are done. Thanks. At the very least if you are going to ride public transit, visit the transit agency website and do a little reading first.
Oh come on, guys. You're being pretty obnoxious and intolerant. People come from out of town! Boo-hoo!

Look, I'm no fan of crowds or traffic. I've lived and worked in big cities most of my life, though, and I do get impatient with idiots. But just consider how complex these places are nowadays, with different apps for transport and parking in each city you go to, you're supposed to download an app for everything you do, and every train and bus network is different. Car parking is a nightmare as cities have decided they don't want to deal with actual cars once you've arrived, and have to research parking in advance (because the same street will have multiple and contradictory signs about whether you can park there and for how long). Plus everyone is distracted, some are young and looking at screens (hence the LOOK LEFT/LOOK RIGHT on the streets), and some are old and in cognitive decline.

Cities are for everyone.

How about a bit of kindness? How about trying to help someone who's obviously struggling to deal with the situation, rather than face an impersonal barrage of signs and QR codes and stupid non-coordinated nonsense in order to get where we want to be? It's getting worse.

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Oh come on, guys. You're being pretty obnoxious and intolerant. People come from out of town! Boo-hoo!
Oh come on, in the terms of my post and quoting it you're completely missing the point! Boo-hoo!

I was trying to make the point in subtle way that in London we're all idiots (tourist and local alike) particularly after 7pm and we all become functional alcoholics. They're for all of us. The look left, look right, mind the gap, be careful after drinking on the escalators signs can be found all over, well away from tourist areas.

Reactions: compwiz1202

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
They're not just just for foreign travellers - they're used all over the place in Greater London, generally on contraflows, traffic islands and bus lanes - often in places where the road layout is confusing and over the years I've found them to be life saver more than once!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I live in So Cal, and we hate when Zonies come to town. They can't drive or park and have no clue where they are going and look like deer in the headlights. I live in the 'burbs near San Diego.

See how that works... I am waiting for the person from a nearby state that hates SoCal drivers... so pretty much Oregon, Nevada, Utah and of course, Arizona... haha.:D
I was born in Long Beach in 1970 and left at six months old. Didn't come back to SoCal until 1980. Got my license at 16 because no one walks in SoCal.

I make a point of this because I am a California trained driver living in Arizona. There is no such thing as traffic congestion and anti-gridlock laws here, and the driving laws lack the specificity of those in California.

When I first moved here I made the mistake of asking the MVD for their DMV book. You know the one the California DMV has that shows all the traffic laws in on thick bound book? Well, they don't have that here. You can find the traffic laws online, buried amongst all the other laws by code section. All the AZ MVD offers is a thin little book for 'new' drivers.

Phoenix leads all 50 states in red light running, if that tells you anything. There's only one traffic law that AZ that I think California should adopt and that's the 'Stupid Motorist Law'. It's actually called that. We get flash flooding sometimes because of the monsoons. If you have to be rescued by fire or police because you drove your vehicle into a flooded area (particularly when signs were up) then you get to pay the cost of your rescue.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you for reminding me of why I think cities should be walled off to protect the rest of the planet.
I lived rural for twenty years, during my teen years. No sidewalks, no place to go, all my teen friends down in the city having a good time at malls while I was stuck in bum**** nowhere.

Having lived in a small and small-minded town I'll take the stupidity of city residents over small town America rural living any day. In fact, that's why I left it 23 years ago.

So yes, build a wall around the cities. Let's keep rural out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What an extraordinarily intolerant, uninformed, unpleasant and frankly ignorant - thread, - a deeply disagreeable thread that is but a series of sweeping generalisations wrapped up in a rant.

Well, it will drive online traffic.

And, it describes one city in one state in the United States, and extrapolates from this, that such a situation is replicated everywhere.

Extraordinary.

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
These kinds of arguments work both ways. I have a friend that grew up in a city. He was about 30 years old when I taught him the difference between a pine tree and an oak.
I'm a city slicker and even I know pine is cheap wood used for framing and oak is expensive wood used for furniture.😁😁

The city's way is different from the suburb's way is different from rural's ways. None are inherently better than the other--just different. My kids knows the story of The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Oh come on, in the terms of my post and quoting it you're completely missing the point! Boo-hoo!

I was trying to make the point in subtle way that in London we're all idiots (tourist and local alike) particularly after 7pm and we all become functional alcoholics. They're for all of us. The look left, look right, mind the gap, be careful after drinking on the escalators signs can be found all over, well away from tourist areas.
I can sort of see that you should have learned in Kindergarten or earlier to look both ways, I do appreciate watch the gap or watch your step for unusual up or down steps. I hate when places don't put them. There are some businesses near where the floor has an incline that it is hard to notice so you stumble. Even worse when it happens going down. I even forget when I go multiple time. Just put a sign

Reactions: scubachap

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I will start this off by saying that I live in Phoenix, West Valley past 99th Ave. We (my wife and I) moved here from California in 2000. Our kids were born here. We've lived in the West Valley only. So, I guess that would count as suburban? IDK.

I can't relate to your issue with the bus and downtown parking only because I had a driver's license and a car at 16. Driving anywhere in California is a thing and taking the Metro in Phoenix is hugely inconvenient over driving some place. It's also very rare that we have any reason to be downtown at all. I won't even get into light rail. That's a Central and East Valley thing. Maybe they'll get to the West Valley in 20 years or so.

But I do get your frustration with pedestrians. People seem to be mainly self-centered. My big pet-peeve is jaywalking. I've seen it happen when a crosswalk is literally 20 feet away. But people can't be bothered to walk to the cross wall. They'd rather stand in the middle of a busy street (let's say Camelback) and endanger themselves just because they want to cross where they want to.

I did have one guy a a couple months ago though, when I happened to be in the East Valley. He decided to leave the train and walk across four lanes of traffic. I had a green light and right of way but he insisted on crossing right in front of me. I laid on the horn and when he noticed I wasn't slowing down his entitled self started running. His friends were smarter than him and held back, but they were still standing in the middle of a left turn lane.
As for my pedestrian rant it’s just the lack of common courtesy that really just have been getting on my nerves. If the car is already green lighted to go, you don’t have a right to inconvenience the driver by walking in front of him causing him to possibly miss the light.

And even worse is when you do honk the horn they have the nerve to flip you the bird instead of realizing they’re the entitled jerk.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly I don’t. I just notice this happening a lot more during sporting events and such. And most people taking the train and buses into the event usually are from one of the various suburbs. I just am ranting of course and not really trying to say all of them are dumb.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As for my pedestrian rant it’s just the lack of common courtesy that really just have been getting on my nerves. If the car is already green lighted to go, you don’t have a right to inconvenience the driver by walking in front of him causing him to possibly miss the light.

And even worse is when you do honk the horn they have the nerve to flip you the bird instead of realizing they’re the entitled jerk.
I think it's gotten really bad since the Pandemic. Apparently lots of people were used to driving however they felt like it or walking wherever they pleased. Now that a majority of people are back on the road this temporary pass has ended and some people seem to have a hard time letting go.

Certainly the amount of accidents I see has increased. Almost like people just forgot how to drive. And pedestrians still wondering around as if traffic is supposed to just magically weave around them or something.

That might be a reason why there seems to be an uptick on the local news about people getting run over.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Honestly I don’t. I just notice this happening a lot more during sporting events and such. And most people taking the train and buses into the event usually are from one of the various suburbs. I just am ranting of course and not really trying to say all of them are dumb.
I live close to Camelback Ranch (the ballpark) and State Farm Stadium is down the street (about three minutes away). It's insane the stupidity you get during Spring Training and when the stadium has an event/game.

Those same people bring that inside the Walmart near the stadium where we shop and it's just crazy.

Reactions: dontwalkhand

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I live close to Camelback Ranch (the ballpark) and State Farm Stadium is down the street (about three minutes away). It's insane the stupidity you get during Spring Training and when the stadium has an event/game.

Those same people bring that inside the Walmart near the stadium where we shop and it's just crazy.
I swear it’s like if there’s an event in town they all of a sudden forgot how to run their debit card or forgot how a Walmart works. I just don’t understand it.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Not to wander into overtly political territory, but: cognitive decline due to Covid infections should really get more study, but as a society we've decided to stick our heads in the sand and ignore the long term effects of the pandemic. I think a lot people's ability to balance risk/reward has been damaged physiologically, whether they're drivers, pedestrians, or cyclists. Also in general we've become a much more selfish and narcissistic culture, where common courtesy is seen as unnecessary or even as a weakness to be exploited.

Another reason for increased pedestrian deaths is the proliferation of ever larger trucks and SUVs that clueless drivers can't control or see out of. I'm over 6 feet tall, and even when I stand near the hood of a contemporary full-sized truck, I feel tiny and very vulnerable.

In general, roads in the US are very, very poorly designed from a safety perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.