Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picl10

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with a out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
I got M1 Macbook air for my daughter's college study, but she still want a windows laptop for some windows programs and it is hard to get it work on M1+ Windows Arm. I regret buying it rather than giving her a new Windows laptop or my older Macbook air 2014 that has Bootcamp.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I got M1 Macbook air for my daughter's college study, but she still want a windows laptop for some windows programs and it is hard to get it work on M1+ Windows Arm. I regret buying it rather than giving her a new Windows laptop or my older Macbook air 2014 that has Bootcamp.
Swap the M1 with the 2014 Air? While the M series Mac's are a vast improvement they also raise significant barriers for those that need to use other OS/apps outside of macOS.

Q-6

Reactions: Fleur

ArhnoldShwarzenberger

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Modena / Italy
My answer to the title question: people simply cannot afford such expensive new equipment. A configuration that I would be very happy with costs over €5,500 in the EU. This is an insurmountable barrier for 75% of Europeans, unfortunately. Me too - I'm looking for a well-maintained, used MacBook from 2012-2017. The new equipment is available only to professionals who earn a lot of money from it. Such equipment is not available to a welder or bricklayer who has a family, home, etc. to support.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
My partner runs Windows 11 Arm using Parallels on his M2 Air, and I run it the same way on my M3 Pro MacBook Pro. It runs everything we need it to. Might be worth looking into that?

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
My answer to the title question: people simply cannot afford such expensive new equipment. A configuration that I would be very happy with costs over €5,500 in the EU. This is an insurmountable barrier for 75% of Europeans, unfortunately. Me too - I'm looking for a well-maintained, used MacBook from 2012-2017. The new equipment is available only to professionals who earn a lot of money from it. Such equipment is not available to a welder or bricklayer who has a family, home, etc. to support.
Thats one hell of an equipment for 5,500€ for a welder or a bricklayer. Realistically speaking, and I speak from the French side, any bricklayer can easily get by with the regular MacBook Airs, they are affordable. I personally use my MacBook Pro M2Pro professionally (design and video) and mine cost me 2,600+€ So 5,500 is really a stretch.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Thats one hell of an equipment for 5,500€ for a welder or a bricklayer. Realistically speaking, and I speak from the French side, any bricklayer can easily get by with the regular MacBook Airs, they are affordable. I personally use my MacBook Pro M2Pro professionally (design and video) and mine cost me 2,600+€ So 5,500 is really a stretch.
[Warning sarcasm]

Clearly welders and bricklayers are not professionals and shouldn’t be allowed to own a Pro machine.

ArhnoldShwarzenberger

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Modena / Italy
a mój kosztował mnie 2600 + €, więc 5500 to naprawdę dużo.
2600€ is:
- in Lithuania, 5.5 of a welder's monthly salary
- in Latvia, 7 monthly payments for a welder
- in Ukraine, 12 salaries for a nurse and in Poland it is still 3 salaries (and from the city of Warsaw) of a professional chef.

I've already said it before. The new MacBook PRO is beyond the reach of 90% of the world's population.

Ps. A bricklayer or a welder is not a human being? Don't deserve a MacBook?

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
2600€ is:
- in Lithuania, 5.5 of a welder's monthly salary
- in Latvia, 7 monthly payments for a welder
- in Ukraine, 12 salaries for a nurse and in Poland it is still 3 salaries (and from the city of Warsaw) of a professional chef.

I've already said it before. The new MacBook PRO is beyond the reach of 90% of the world's population.

Ps. A bricklayer or a welder is not a human being? Don't deserve a MacBook?
Read my post again. There are different MacBooks, Air starts at around 1000€. You have mentioned you would want a 5500 € to be happy - that is an unrealisitically high price tag for majority of people, even those who earn a lot. It's extremely small amount of people who would pay that much, even the professionals who use Pro machines for work.

Neither welder, nor bricklayer, nor a journalist or majority of professions out there need a Pro machine. Your post made it look like MacBooks are out of reach for majority of the EU population, which is not true. My post was to show you that:
1. Your stratospheric requirements for happiness ,ie 5500 are not applicable even for Pro media users
2. Many can afford a MacBook and that even Pros (like myself) paid less than a half of what you said you'd be happy with.

The new MacBook Pro is not out of reach of the world's population, but it is also not made for majority of the population.

Everyone deserves whatever they want, the answer lies in the financial decisions they make and the circumstances they find themselves in.

stract

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with an out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
I’m one of those people. MacBook Pro Late 2013. Until now, it did what I needed it to. But, after 11 years, it’s time for an upgrade, I’ve come to realize. I’ve got an iPhone 14 Pro, and Apple Watch 8, and an iPad Air 3.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Apple defines the "out of date" for the sole reason of forcing sales. For many the latest version of macOS will run perfectly well on older HW. Thankfully the community acted and has solutions like OCLP.

Apple's talks of being green, but is just that "talk" as the moment such matters impact revenue it's all off to the landfill. I own and use both current Mac's & legacy Mac's and see no need to replace until they no longer serve purpose.

If Apple was serious about it's concerns for the environment it would conduct itself in a very different manner, it doesn't plain & simple...

Q-6

Mimisa

Suspended
Feb 12, 2024
Apple does for the sole reason of forcing sales. For many the latest version of macOS will run perfectly well on older HW. Thankfully the community acted and has solutions like OCLP.

Apple's talks of being green, but is just that "talk" as the moment such matters impact revenue it's all off to the landfill. I own and use both current Mac's & legacy Mac's and see no need to replace until they no longer serve purpose.

If Apple was serious about it's concerns for the environment it would conduct itself in a very different manner, it doesn't plain & simple...

Q-6

Yeah, at least Apple should support the right to repair, but they don't.
Instead, Apple makes upgrading or repairing their products harder and harder over time.

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
Just wanted to add my .02 cents to this thread again.

Picked up a Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro 2.4/8/256 for $100 locally. From the original owner. It was still running Mavericks.

Screen is practically perfect; battery health is at 92%.

I installed Ventura with Open Core, after it was done indexing, it does basic task no different than my M3 Pro MBP.

YouTube, Web surfing, Music, word processing email no issues at all.

I gifted it to my 18-year-old cousin who was super excited to be able to text and facetime his friends.

ega30

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
Why throw away something that still works? This planet is already full enough of (electronic) waste, no need to generate more of it for no good reason.

My 2012 iMac still covers my needs for everyday home computing. It took me through high school, then university. Back then I put it through its paces and it delivered. Now, after 5 house moves across 3 countries, it still does what I need it to do.
Oh, and I feel it still looks stylish sitting on my desk.

Why should I replace it?

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I could go and buy a new m2 MacBook pro as soon as the apple store opens anyway. I prefer the older MacBooks that have the lit apple, and with OCLP I can run macOS Sonoma and it runs it very well... don't care about using the credit card, or harm to the economy.... I just like having one that LOOKS like an APPLE laptop, and not one that looks like 90% of the others.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not everyone wants to spend thousands of dollars every year on a MacBook that does exactly the same as their current MacBook. Also a new MacBook means you have to re-install old software that may no longer work.
Some have genuine need where the investment in the latest hardware repays them multiple times over. Some want the latest & greatest, some it's about bragging rights and some just play pretend online...

Even for users with high demands older Mac's can and should be repurposed up to and including gifting them. Frequently these older system remain to be more than capable for basic usage for many years beyond what Apple supports.

My Media server is a 2011 15" MBP, I see no need to replace it despite the notebook closing on 12-1/2 years old. To coin a phrase "it just works" I will continue to use it until the MBP no longer does. Scrapping perfectly good hardware is just wasteful as more often then not someone, somewhere will be have use for it...

Same applies for the Windows systems...

Q-6

Last edited:

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
Because they have enough judgement to take some distance to Apples's marketing oriented paranoïa.
They have absolutely no problem using their Macs, even being 10 years old. I would even say they have less problems.
2012-2015 were a blessed period beween problematic Apple's productions.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Several people I know have made their fortune, in the millions for a couple of them, all from using a laptop. They are all carrying around devices that are many years old. They don't change for change's sake. They don't want the latest and greatest. They want consistency.
Weapon of choice M1 MBP, previous to that was a 2014 Intel 13" MBP. The rest, just toys to play with...

Q-6

Reactions: LeeW

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with a out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
Because chances are they still work, they still do what the people want, and they don't really care about the new shiny features.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" that I'd still happily use for light duty stuff but the battery is swollen. I'm seriously considering replacing the battery in it.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" that I'd still happily use for light duty stuff but the battery is swollen. I'm seriously considering replacing the battery in it.
You can do much more than light duty stuff with it.
Replacing the battery is not that dreadful use some nail polish removers to dissolve the glue and a plastic spuger to remove the (previously discharged) batteries.
Consider after that to install BatteryStatusShow and limit the charge to 80%. your batteries will last forever.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
If Apple was serious about it's concerns for the environment
Anyone living a modern lifestyle, by which I mean using any computing device and living in a country which has electricity on-demand, water on-demand, and of course automobiles, is contributing to the woes that we face with sustainability (or should I write non-sustainability.)

Which means complaining about Apple's deprecation policies is not going to do a single thing about this problem.

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
Because it still works, a new one is very expensive and I don't really need to replace it. I use mine mostly for forums, browsing and some streaming and it works just fine for that use. MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) True, I can't upgrade to the newest OS but its stille safe because I get security updates. My previous Mac was a MacBook bought in 2008, it lasted at least 7 years. That's what I love about Macs, it last long unlike pcs which I have to replace after a few years because it become slow and the battery don't last.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Anyone living a modern lifestyle, by which I mean using any computing device and living in a country which has electricity on-demand, water on-demand, and of course automobiles, is contributing to the woes that we face with sustainability (or should I write non-sustainability.)

Which means complaining about Apple's deprecation policies is not going to do a single thing about this problem.
That is whataboutism. Of course every device produced with planned aobsolescence is a threat for sustainabilty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.