Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
Computers don't have carrier deals/tradeins subsidizing their costs. That is why people's phones are newer than their laptops.

The 2012 ones and before you could also replace the RAM and HDD to have more/an SSD which made for cheap upgrades and extended the longevity of those devices.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with a out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
You should confront them.

Frixos

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2020
Honestly, there are quite a few people on MacRumors who would benefit from following this script: Computer as basic appliance, use as needed, shelve when not, and not as lifestyle-altering obsession prone to enabling worrying about battery cycles, worrying about fingerprints, worrying about benchmarking, worrying about why other people are using computers that are different than the ones they're using.

It's just a tool. Nothing more. And like most tools, there's no point thinking about replacing it (or thinking about it at all) until you need to.
I do get a lot more work done on my M1 MBA than I did my 2012 MBP (even with upgraded SSD and RAM). So sure it might work, but if someone uses it for productivity then it’s more like comparing a crappy tool and a good tool

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Most people don't use their personal computers for any intensive tasks. Probably web surfing, social media, phots, chatting, watching videos, etc.... So for them these older computers are still doing the task just fine. They probably upgrade their phones because its something they use every single day and carry around with them, smart phones these days are front of mind and people feel like they need them for everything... So they are more compelled to want the latest.

ZebedeeG

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2021
It's because they're completely stuck with the whole do I get a new Mac with 8GB or 16 GB of memory?

...and they just can't decide what to buy. Their brains have melted and now they are stuck using out of date Macs forever!

🤷‍♀️ Either that or they just like the one they have 🤷‍♀️

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I used a mid 2012 MacBook Pro up until May this year as my main device. Granted it was upgraded with an SSD, maxed ram and open core legacy patcher.

It’s a good thing for the environment that people are still using these machines, they’re still perfectly capable and Apple should be still supporting them.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I just don't understand why they have iPhone 14 or newer.
Many people probably use their phone a lot more often in a day than their laptop, so it makes sense to upgrade the device you use more often. Also, trade-ins and carrier upgrade promos favor iPhones more than MacBooks. But mostly I agree with what's already been said, performance on a 10-year-old MacBook is still more than adequate for your average user.

Heck, our 2015 MBP 13 is still great for school use and still has very decent battery life for something so old. For something this old it has practically zero trade-in value so better to keep it as a backup laptop until it dies rather than sell it.

Sunset Cassette

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Canada
But what doesn’t an older iPhone do that a newer one can do, in a similar comparison?
I'm sure there's a variety of reasons as to why a user would have a newer iPhone not based solely on comparison to what older models can or cannot do:
  • Old device was broken
  • Old device's battery life has been degraded to the point that it impacts daily usability
  • Family member needed a device replaced and the most economical choice was to upgrade their own and pass down
  • Promotion offered through their carrier
  • User runs their work/business through their phone and need a more reliable device
The list could go on, I'm sure. The amount of people I meet these days who do not have a home computer (desktop, laptop, or otherwise) is astounding. Phones have become the workhorse of this world and also as a lifeline and primary communication option that we carry with us absolutely everywhere we go. Priority for most has shifted to keeping an up to date phone in most cases, at least from what I've seen.

Reactions: Alex Cai

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah but, you don’t have to be a MR forum member to think an 11 year old laptop is old and slow
for basic workloads an 11 year old laptop still works relatively decently
It's because they're completely stuck with the whole do I get a new Mac with 8GB or 16 GB of memory?

...and they just can't decide what to buy. Their brains have melted and now they are stuck using out of date Macs forever!

🤷‍♀️ Either that or they just like the one they have 🤷‍♀️
ironically this post kinda validates Apple starting current machines with 8GB of RAM as enough for the largest swath of casual users, however much it irritates me and everyone else here

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I do get a lot more work done on my M1 MBA than I did my 2012 MBP (even with upgraded SSD and RAM). So sure it might work, but if someone uses it for productivity then it’s more like comparing a crappy tool and a good tool

For you, which is my point. You upgraded, it helped you get more work done. That was the right decision for you and the balance of cost/benefit made sense. We have no idea what the person in the coffee shop using the older Mac is doing. It may be more than enough computing power for their needs. Or they may not care if it's slower, it may be a budget issue—faster would be better, but not for the cost. A faster computer doesn't provide enough value.

Regardless, it's not for us to worry about. That's really the issue here: Who cares what anyone else is using? Why is thinking about this even a thing?

Tangentially, this is what I always found so maddening about that stupid light-up Apple logo on those older laptops: Why would you even want to advertise the brand of your laptop so intensely? Apple can pay me if they want me to be a walking light-up billboard. The black logo on my 16" M1 Pro is at least reasonably subtle. Wish it wasn't there at all, however.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Its the classic "if it aint broken...." but most people don't have an idea how how to judge if something is broken.
The average Apple/Mac user generally don't have a basic understanding of IT-security and the concept of updating devices, if they should we would see people using newer macs.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with a out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
The economy sucks, there is not enough money offered on trade ins, and recently the actors and writers strikes ruined so many people's bank accounts due to the lack of jobs. Just not worth paying what Apple asks for, especially when there is no work.

• Angry
Reactions: heretiq

Septercius

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
UK
Oh god, not another of these threads. We've had "why do people use Office?" and "why do people use Safari"? What's next: "Why do people use iPod socks?"

Why does it matter?
What has it got to do with you?
Why not let people do what they want to do?

Do you see someone driving in an F150 and wonder why they're not driving a Ferrari?
Do you see someone who owns a 3-bedroom house and wonder why they don't live in a 2-bedroom house?
Do you see someone with blonde hair and wonder why they don't have purple hair?

Perhaps they got the new iPhone as a gift. Perhaps they're living hand to mouth and paying for it on instalments. Perhaps they get it through work. Perhaps they've been saving for years. Perhaps they're using their unexpected tax refund. Perhaps they stole it. Perhaps it's a fake phone and they're just trying to freak you out.

There's a strange contingent on this forum who are very judgemental of others who don't conform to their narrow view of the world and see the need to question it (usually in a borderline incoherent, confused way). I dont understand why you'd want to do this. You're just showing the rest of us how ignorant and intolerant you are.

Live your own life, and let others lead their own.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
"Dude, why are you using an old Macbook when you have a new iPhone? What's wrong with you?"

"Why do you care what computer I use? Why don't you mind your own business?"

"As a MacRumors regular, I won't stand for this! Get up!"

chairfight-crop.jpg copy.jpg

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
You should confront them.
I totalt agree. Refusing to buy gadgets just because you don’t have the need or money is boarder line terrorism.

They need to spend more money. Give more money to Apple. Keep the wheels spinning. If they don’t feel the need try with something emotional- let them know that their old computer is putting everyone at risk. Or how they can have the latest emojis with a new computer. If they don’t have the money, let them know that there are plenty of credit options out there.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
But what doesn’t an older iPhone do that a newer one can do, in a similar comparison?
Take better pictures. Also, people seem to crack their iPhone screens and/or suffer from enough battery degradation to warrant a new phone more often than laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.