Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I have turned off everything under Privacy Protection. That gave me back email images. So Privacy Protection is a useless addition by Apple, unless you never want to see images in Apple Mail on an iPhone.
Correction. Rebooted the iPhone. Under Privacy Protection everything off except Hide -IP-address. Still have pictures.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
That did it. What's the use of having this new software crap, if it defeats the use of email? HEY< THATYS A GREAT SUGGESTION ILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS FOR NOW> THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SUGGESTION< SPORT!
Many of us prefer to not download images within emails as that is how marketers (and other people) can track that you read the email. If everything is working, you will see an image placeholder and you can choose to download images for specific emails, such as if you trust who sent you the email.

Apple was doing some work in iOS 15 so you could still download images in emails and not be fully tracked so that appears to be an area with some changes. In the meantime, it is totally appropriate for them to make the default that images have to be explicitly approved to download. If you want to open up tracking, then you can enable that feature.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
IMO, the Mail app in iOS and iPadOS is rubbish. In the macOS version you can have Junk mail and unwanted mail kept from being delivered to your Inbox, but in iOS and iPadOS there is no filtering. Apple needs to get off its backside and deliver a true filtering Mail app. That will go a long way towards preventing tracking. And they need to revamp their setup settings menu and options to make them actually make sense rather than just throwing out a bunch of crap that is non-intuitive.

Reactions: Tagbert

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Bumping this to ask if anyone found a solution? I work for a small business, I am trying to send our email newsletter (the first since iOS 15) and images are failing (not loading remotely) on iPhone. I have turned off security/privacy options, rebooted, nothing is working. I paste html into thunderbird and send to our list. Does anyone have any advice? I've wasted 4 hours.. no issues with MacOS mail/outlook etc. Urgh

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
AS THE OWNER OF OLD EYES, I FIND MESSAGES WITH ALL CAPS TO BE PREFERABLE! :cool:

Vaguely remember a study a long time ago that found that all cap text was read at ~15% slower rate. I find it much harder to read, such as the text in your comment above.

Have you tried the zoom option? I've set an action on my mouse that allows me to quickly zoom the the screen in or out as necessary for difficult to read text.

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Vaguely remember a study a long time ago that found that all cap text was read at ~15% slower rate. I find it much harder to read, such as the text in your comment above.

Have you tried the zoom option? I've set an action on my mouse that allows me to quickly zoom the the screen in or out as necessary for difficult to read text.
That is correct. We don’t really read individual letters. We “read” the shape of works and pick out enough letters to identify the word. Normal, mixed case and lower case text has enough variability in height and shape to allow this quick word scanning. All-caps has the same height for all letters and the letter shapes end up more alike. As a result, you have to fall back to reading individual letters and this slows things down.

OldFarte would likely benefit from zooming the text to a little larger size. I don’t use Apple Mail so I don’t know if it uses the standard ⌘+ and ⌘- to change font sizes.

Reactions: HDFan

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What is the domain of the email server? ex iCloud Gmail etc

If its an IMAP (mail is saved on their server) I would goto settings > mail > accounts > click the account > Delete account. This will delete all the emails off your iPhone. Then set the email back up and it will redownload all the emails and it should sync (process will take a while).

However if you just updated I want be patient and keep the phone plugged in on wifi and see if its just re-syncing from the update.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
What is the domain of the email server? ex iCloud Gmail etc

If its an IMAP (mail is saved on their server) I would goto settings > mail > accounts > click the account > Delete account. This will delete all the emails off your iPhone. Then set the email back up and it will redownload all the emails and it should sync (process will take a while).

However if you just updated I want be patient and keep the phone plugged in on wifi and see if its just re-syncing from the update.
Thanks for the reply. The issue was occurring on iOS on iPhone/iPad. MacOS Mail was fine. I ended up switching to a paid service, GetResponse and it worked flawlessly. It was time to upgrade anyway.

hollettster

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
I "think" I may have found the answer but waiting for it to propagate... I have to mention first I am on Bluehost as my Wordpress host.

BUT:
My SPF record was originally v=spf1 a mx ptr include:bluehost.com ?all
which is Legacy.

I then changed it to
v=spf1 a mx include:spf.websitewelcome.com ?all

I am hoping and praying that this will fix it.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
(EDIT: This fix I described was temporary. Hours later, the same messages fail to display images.)

I had this problem with images in iOS Mail, despite all privacy-protection options being off. Finally, after months and months of imageless messages in Mail on my iPhone, this fixed it for me:

*Reset Network Settings*

It's in Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

NOTE: This will flush your WiFi password (or possibly all of them). But it fixed the images issue in mail.

NOTE: After resetting network settings, messages you've already viewed in your inbox may not display their images, but newly received email messages will. (Or did for me.) I was, however, able to force an older message to display its images by archiving it, then undoing that action (returning it to the inbox), then marking it unread. After those steps, that message displayed its images.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.