Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpkellar

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
My iPhone 12 Mini is chugging along strong. I made a commitment to wait out the first gen USB-C iPhone. But now I’m wondering if I should wait for the foldable iPhone.
I have the Samsung Z Fold. I'm ready to switch back to a bar phone. The bigger screen isn't that much better and it needs repairs in a few months.

cpkellar

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
I switched over to Samsung because of how great everyone says it is. Now I'm ready to switch back. But we're so close to the 16 coming out I figure why not wait a few more months.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I decided to skip the 15 series, so by the time the 16 series is released I’ll be ready for an upgrade. I’m mostly looking forward to the thinner bezels and increased battery life. Just rumors at the moment, but couldn’t be worse than my 14.

cpkellar

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
I decided to skip the 15 series, so by the time the 16 series is released I’ll be ready for an upgrade. I’m mostly looking forward to the thinner bezels and increased battery life. Just rumors at the moment, but couldn’t be worse than my 14.
Did you say thinner bezels? What the hell are we supposed to use to hold the phone with? SMH

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Currently with a 13PM. Don’t really have any desire to upgrade since it has all the things I currently look for in a phone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I do upgrade I’ll probably just wait until 2025 to decide between the following:
1) 17 Pro Max with Under display FaceID
2) Lighter weight 17 Plus w/ 120hz display

Dualica 01

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I still have my 12pro. Got it at launch, battery is at 86%, the camera is pretty good and it is working pretty well for me. Why should I upgrade? A family member got the 15pro, up from the same 12pro I have, solely for battery reasons. At the moment I’m waiting to upgrade my iPad pro 2018 model. Sooo, it looks like I’m gonne skip the 16pro as well and see what they come up with for the 17pro next year 🤷🏼‍♀️😉

laserfan

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
I still have my 12pro. Got it at launch, battery is at 86%, the camera is pretty good and it is working pretty well for me. Why should I upgrade? A family member got the 15pro, up from the same 12pro I have, solely for battery reasons. At the moment I’m waiting to upgrade my iPad pro 2018 model. Sooo, it looks like I’m gonne skip the 16pro as well and see what they come up with for the 17pro next year 🤷🏼‍♀️😉
Right. I don't understand anyone who needs to upgrade year-after-year.

I have a now-ancient iPhone 8 but you know, all I use it for is phone/text/email and the occasional snapshot.

I did have to have a new battery installed to it. $100 bucks from IFIXIT I think it was.

Wife and I are getting tired of the tiny screen, though I don't think either that we want to lug-around a Max.

But 16 here we come.

Reactions: Dualica 01

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I know the 15 Pro was sort of left out of some features that the ProMax received.

Is the 16ProMax rumoured to get a substantial upgrade from the 15PM?

The only feature I can think of is the 5x optical lens vs the 3x on the 15 Pro. The 15 PM has a bigger battery but that’s due to phone size difference.

Reactions: satchmo

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I have some uses for USB-C, but I also have so many lightning accessories around the house for my iPhone. My partner and I both have iPhone 14 Pros. I regularly connect my iPhone to my monitor with HDMI and an HDMI adapter, would be nice to just use my USB-C cable and get better quality along with charging. I also connect my DSLR to my iPhone to save photos, I can't say for certain, but I'd imagine USB-C would transfer these files faster. I also wouldn't mind the lighter weight, my brother has a 15 Pro, it just feels so much lighter in comparison.

On the other hand, my 14 Pro still feels brand new to me, I really don't need to upgrade it for a couple years. What it will come down to is what features the 16 Pro does that my 14 Pro cannot do, and see if its worth the upgrade from there.

Disher

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2024
I have a 14 pro max and I`m waiting for the 16 for camera immersive features to work with my Vision Pro

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
Just got a 15 from work and they expect you to keep your phone for about 3 years before you get a new one. So looks like it will be 18 for me 😅 hopefully the base model will have 120hz by then!

• Haha
Reactions: geta

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m still on a 13 Pro Max so I may well upgrade this year. Like most, I don’t need a new iPhone every year and it makes an upgrade a lot more satisfying when there’s actually worthwhile feature bumps. Now smartphones have matured, they’ve gotten rather boring year on year and you need a gap in the cycle.

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
Why hold out? Simple, I don't want to contribute any more than necessary to the e-waste problem. I kept my 8+ for five years. Finally upgraded to a 14PM a year ago and plan to keep this for a good five years as well. So, assuming Apple continue with their annual refresh cycle, my next upgrade will likely be the iPhone 19. Waiting five years also gives me the satisfaction of of a more significant upgrade, not just a few incremental bits and a new color scheme that's going to be covered by a case anyway.

Reactions: geta

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I don't think this thread was necessarily for me since I got the 15PM, but even though I am on the upgrade program..unless something fairly big is on the next phone and not another button or AI I may skip the 16. I got what I wanted out of the 15PM and that is the USB-C connector.

Like I sort of stated earlier, I am not that impressed with current AI models that I feel is worth upgrading for. I don't have a smart home (just a few devices) I don't mind searching for what I want to look into never really used Siri or any other assistant even when I had a android device. The capacitance button is cool and all I love the Mac trackpad but haptics there, but I just don't see it as useful upgrade reason. I also project the camera upgrades to possibly be questionable because I personally have not cared for the current amount of post-processing that recent years iPhones have been getting to photos and unless the processing gets toned down I don't know. (and yes I know I can just shoot pro RAW, but I already do this on my Sony and rather use my iPhone as the quick photo taker)

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
If you've bypassed last years iPhone 15 Pro, and waiting for this year's iPhone 16 Pro, what is your reason?
Well, I've bypassed a lot of models since purchasing my current 256GB 8 Plus, simply put, I've not felt the need to chase incremental processor upgrades over these years nor found a need for increased storage capacity. My goal/intent with its purchase was to own it until it reached EOL when it would no longer receive iOS updates...and that day seems to be arriving when iOS 18 arrives.

What will be important for me (hardware wise) at upgrade time will be, basically, to purchase the current 256GB SE3 as it retains the Home Button and its screen is not polluted/defaced with a cutout...pretty much, "what I currently have" minus the extra camera module.

So, to modify your question and ask "what would I like to see in an SE4?", simple, an 8 Plus with 512/1TB memory! LOL

Reactions: laserfan

laserfan

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
You know JimmyG it has never occurred to me to consider the SE. Heck, I didn't even know it retained the Home button as my iPhone 8 (how DO the new no-button phones work anyway?).

I need to add the newest SE to my possibilites. For sure though my 8 is showing its age being stuck on iOS16.

m.x

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
I'm currently using my 13 Pro Max and while I really enjoy the device, I'm looking forward to buy the 16 Pro Max with 256GB. I think it will be my phone for the next 5 years.
I don't care at all about the AOD or the Dynamic Island.

For me it's a combination of these things which push me to the 16 Pro Max:
- USB C means the complete elimination of Lightning from my travel bags
- being able to record Log and being able to record directly to an external SSD so no need for much internal storage
- the main camera with 48MP
- Action Mode for video
- crash detection and Satellite SOS feature
- brighter display (more nits is always better)

Everything else doesn't matter for me. If they upgrade another lense to 48MP that's nice, but I don't think there will be anything else they can do in the next three years. AI? Maybe. But I use my iPhone only as a "capturing" device or as a camera, so even these new features can wait.

PPCmike

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2012
Still have my 12 Pro but I skipped the 15 this time I might do the 16 PM I'm tired of the cables just for the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.