Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
Obviously lots of posts today about people getting shipping updates in preparation for their new iPhones arriving tomorrow

And we've seen posts about what people are ugrading from, what colour/phone/capacity options they have gone for

But for those of us that have decided to give the iPhone 15 series a miss - how come and what phone are you going to be using for the next year (or longer)

For me, I'm tempted due to the resale value of my 14 Pro being better this year than next, and I love the blue titanium 15, but other than that there's no real reason to upgrade for me. I don't care for USB C, I've got plenty of 14 Pro cases as well which I don't want to sell or throw in a cupboard to spend another £100+ on cases for a new phone. I'm also not sold on the new woven case and I'm happy with the apple leather case I have, battery appears to be the same or very similar (although my battery struggles now - I have a MagSafe battery pack which gets me easily through a day)

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Same have 6 month old 14 pro 100% battery which is excellent since ios17 update, have 2 good cases I like and to be honest not seeing anything I could be bothered for.
Could swap to a 15 pro with discount and tax back plus selling my 14 pro would not cost much at all.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
I am someone who upgrades almost every year. The only year I didnt upgrade was going from the X to the XS. Other than the battery being at 94% after a year, I love my 14PM. I know getting a 15PM will not in any way change my daily use of my iPhone. If you look at the specs on apple.com, the 2 phones are virtually the same except for the titanium frame, USB C, the action button, and the camera differences. I actually like having the mute button as I put my phone on mute when I get to the office, and turn on the ringer at home, so it's something I use every day. Time will tell if I actually do upgrade but as of now, I did not pre order.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
The iPhone is too mature a product, the updates too iterative and the phones too expensive to mindlessly upgrade each year. It doesn’t make sense losing money on reselling etc not to mention partaking in the financial con that is the ‘iPhone upgrade programme’. I would rather buy out right every two years and not tie myself to a phone contact or finance agreement.
The only thing that drives me bonkers about my 14 Pro Max is the dodgy deteriorating battery. I am convinced in the next few months we will hear of a battery replacement programme.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I upgrade every 2.5 to 5.5 years. Currently, my last upgrade was 2021. So, that makes the next upgrade some time between now and 2026.

I'm very happy with my 11 Pro Max. It was paid off in March 2023 (I got it in 2021). So, I don't see another upgrade until maybe 2025. The iPhone 17 or whatever it may be called.

Only at that time I will likely be upgrading to a model two versions back, which would be…the iPhone 15.

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2020
I was going to upgrade. Did the pre preorder to trade in my 13 Pro, but after the debacle of ordering day and delivery timescale it gave me time to give my head a wobble and realise I didn't need to upgrade at all. So she lives on for another year at least (unless I somehow render it unusable or unrepairable)

Last edited:

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I am still paying off my 14 pro max for another year. I could sell it, pay it off and still have som left over towards the 15 pro max but ultimately I don't need it. With the cost of living crisis, prices and loans going up I would much rather pay this off and use it until it needs to be replaced.

Edit - also here in Norway the price of the 15 pro max 256 gb has gone up by 110 USD from what I bought my 14 pro max 256 gb for last year

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Obviously lots of posts today about people getting shipping updates in preparation for their new iPhones arriving tomorrow

And we've seen posts about what people are ugrading from, what colour/phone/capacity options they have gone for

But for those of us that have decided to give the iPhone 15 series a miss - how come and what phone are you going to be using for the next year (or longer)

For me, I'm tempted due to the resale value of my 14 Pro being better this year than next, and I love the blue titanium 15, but other than that there's no real reason to upgrade for me. I don't care for USB C, I've got plenty of 14 Pro cases as well which I don't want to sell or throw in a cupboard to spend another £100+ on cases for a new phone. I'm also not sold on the new woven case and I'm happy with the apple leather case I have, battery appears to be the same or very similar (although my battery struggles now - I have a MagSafe battery pack which gets me easily through a day)
I'm happy with my 13 mini, the size is what matters most. If there would've been a new mini, perhaps I'd buy one.

Dsmith7

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
You are the only one in this thread who is honest. If the iPhones were free, everyone in this thread would be getting one and whatever cope they gave goes out the window.
Well yea, if its free everyone would upgrade. I'm not because I'm not going to spend my money on an incrimental upgrade from my 14 pro max. To each their own though

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Well yea, if its free everyone would upgrade. I'm not because I'm not going to spend my money on an incrimental upgrade from my 14 pro max. To each their own though
My point is your inability to spare the funds, not because it's an incremental upgrade

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I find it‘s hard to get excited about what are more and more iterative improvements every year. The last iPhone that truly wowed me was the iPhone 6s with its 3D Touch. That was really cool technology, even if it ultimately ended up being removed.

None of the iPhones thereafter could really compare, the user experience is simply always the same, just with a bigger screen or a slightly better camera. Both of which are nice, but I‘ve never thought the screen of an iPhone looked back for its time, so neither are good reasons to upgrade for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.