Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Kinda scratching my head here. Do you mean the computer getting internet from the iPad?

Why require an ethernet adapter when USB tethering works fine?

Reactions: max2 and PennHunter

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
I'm not sure I understand your question. The iPads do support Ethernet.

To my understanding (and also including select iPhones) you can establish a data connection for your iPhone/iPad via Ethernet from your computer to your iOS device not vice versa.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Kinda scratching my head here. Do you mean the computer getting internet from the iPad?

Why require an ethernet adapter when USB tethering works fine?

Ethernet connection is much better. I know this because I can establish a data connection from my Samsung note 20 ultra and my fold 2 to my computers via a usb c to Ethernet adapter and the dl speeds are great

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Ethernet connection is much better. I know this because I can establish a data connection from my Samsung note 20 ultra and my fold 2 to my computers via a usb c to Ethernet adapter and the dl speeds are great
You mean to convert your cellular ipad into some kind of an internet access point/router that allows you to share the cellular internet connection to your ethernet network? That was a no go 5 years ago when I tried it and I still don't think ios allows it currently. Possibly if you can jailbreak...

As opposed to what it does now. Which is the reverse. Thanks

Yes, right now iOS only allows you to use ethernet adapters to allow your ipad to connect to an ethernet network for access..

wirefire

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
yes it shares as a "hotspot" or as a tether. it will not let you share as a physical ethernet connection. This is likely a software limitation and could be rooted in the carriers themselves. (I could see them really not liking the idea of an ethernet connection with a 5Guw backhaul)... that could really put a beating on cellular carriers.

A "quality" Wi-Fi bridge could also accomplish this pretty well but you would need to really dig into specs so you could get a bridge that actually pushes the iPhone's WiFi to its limit. (wide channel, 5Ghz AC/AX, minimum power, extreme short range)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You mean to convert your cellular ipad into some kind of an internet access point/router that allows you to share the cellular internet connection to your ethernet network? That was a no go 5 years ago when I tried it and I still don't think ios allows it currently. Possibly if you can jailbreak...

You'll need a router that supports wi-fi bridge or USB tether but it's doable.

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
You'll need a router that supports wi-fi bridge or USB tether but it's doable.
This. Currently, the only way to share a cellular connection from a iOS or iPadOS device is through tethering. this can be accomplished wirelessly or wired using a USB cable. Some routers support USB modems/tethering. I have one that I found on Amazon. Works great!

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
USB to Lightning, I understand if it's slower since the USB to Lightning cable is limited to USB2.

USB-C though, it doesn't make sense to me that going through an ethernet adapter is faster than native USB-C.

Thus far I am comparing Ethernet via my fold 2 vs my iPhone 12 pm via usb and it is faster.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019

Yes, right now iOS only allows you to use ethernet adapters to allow your ipad to connect to an ethernet network for access..

All of my iPhones are jailbroken. Are you saying there is a way to accomplish this? Thanks

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
This. Currently, the only way to share a cellular connection from a iOS or iPadOS device is through tethering. this can be accomplished wirelessly or wired using a USB cable. Some routers support USB modems/tethering. I have one that I found on Amazon. Works great!

And Bluetooth. Which one are you using? Thanks

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Alas, that iPhone 12 PM is limited to USB2 speeds via USB-Lightning cable

Maybe yes. Maybe no. But in the end, it’s not possible to share iPhones’ data connection with a computer to get online specifically via Ethernet

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Maybe yes. Maybe no. But in the end, it’s not possible to share iPhones’ data connection with a computer to get online specifically via Ethernet
I am having a hard time following the thread, but I'lll try.

You mean the iPhone has a data connection, say to a Cell carrier, and you want to hook the iPhone up to the computer via Ethernet to share the data connection? I haven't tried this specifically so it may not work if Apple doesn't bridge the connections. But you could connect the iPhone to the computer via USB and tether that way. Assuming you're on Windows you can bridge the USB Ethernet connection to your real connection and in turn share the iPhone connection via Ethernet with more devices. Same would work on iPad.

This is assuming that it won't all just work via a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. Which I feel should work if you have Personal Hotspot turned on.

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
And Bluetooth. Which one are you using? Thanks
You're right. I forgot about bluetooth. Here's the one I use, there may be newer ones available now:

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
I am having a hard time following the thread, but I'lll try.

You mean the iPhone has a data connection, say to a Cell carrier, and you want to hook the iPhone up to the computer via Ethernet to share the data connection? I haven't tried this specifically so it may not work if Apple doesn't bridge the connections. But you could connect the iPhone to the computer via USB and tether that way. Assuming you're on Windows you can bridge the USB Ethernet connection to your real connection and in turn share the iPhone connection via Ethernet with more devices. Same would work on iPad.

This is assuming that it won't all just work via a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. Which I feel should work if you have Personal Hotspot turned on.

I’m very intrigued by what you’re saying. Specifically “Assuming you’re on Windows you can bridge the USB Ethernet connection to your real connection and in turn share the iPhone connection via Ethernet...”. How would I go about trying this out? Thanks

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Apple support is clueless so I’ll just wait for my new iPad to arrive and I’ll test it out myself. Thank you everyone !!

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
You're right. I forgot about bluetooth. Here's the one I use, there may be newer ones available now:

Forgive my ignorance but what is your setup like with this? Connect it via USB port or the repeater? Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As opposed to what it does now. Which is the reverse. Thanks
Most of the Mac line up is devoid of an ethernet port, and there's a reason - apple is all about wireless connections. Having an ethernet port, or even dongle, runs against Apple's philosophy imo

Reactions: Zazoh

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Most of the Mac line up is devoid of an ethernet port, and there's a reason - apple is all about wireless connections. Having an ethernet port, or even dongle, runs against Apple's philosophy imo

I have an old Mac with an Ethernet port. I just don’t know if the iPads thunderbolt port can be used to connect a computer to internet. You are right about apples philosophy. They don’t like being able to use their iPhones or iPads to do such a thing besides the basics, WiFi, usb or Bluetooth. I hope I’m wrong. We shall see

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I have an old Mac with an Ethernet port. I just don’t know if the iPads thunderbolt port can be used to connect a computer to internet. You are right about apples philosophy. They don’t like being able to use their iPhones or iPads to do such a thing besides the basics, WiFi, usb or Bluetooth. I hope I’m wrong. We shall see
The iPad supports Ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.