Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
That’s not what was asked. What was asked is if an iPad can connect a computer to the internet using a thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter..
I answered that one a few posts up.

I returned my iPP 2020 for the 2021 model so I can't test it until the new one arrives (though you don't get ThunderBolt support until the 2021 iPP so there's that too). But I expect it will work the same way it works for the iPhone and other devices. You'd need to hook it up to the computer via USB where it creates a virtual "USB Ethernet" adapter on the computer to allow "Personal Hotspot" to provide support (you can technically do this via WiFi personal hotspot too on Windows). You could then "bridge" that connection on a computer to its ethernet adapter to connect multiple computers if you needed to.

Third Party tools might allow it with less steps, but Apple won't automatically bridge the connections as that would cause network topology issues for normal use cases.

iPadOS doesn't allow creating network bridges so you can't do it without a computer in the middle (but that's fine since you're trying to do this do computers anyway).

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
I answered that one a few posts up.

I returned my iPP 2020 for the 2021 model so I can't test it until the new one arrives (though you don't get ThunderBolt support until the 2021 iPP so there's that too). But I expect it will work the same way it works for the iPhone and other devices. You'd need to hook it up to the computer via USB where it creates a virtual "USB Ethernet" adapter on the computer to allow "Personal Hotspot" to provide support (you can technically do this via WiFi personal hotspot too on Windows). You could then "bridge" that connection on a computer to its ethernet adapter to connect multiple computers if you needed to.

Third Party tools might allow it with less steps, but Apple won't automatically bridge the connections as that would cause network topology issues for normal use cases.

iPadOS doesn't allow creating network bridges so you can't do it without a computer in the middle (but that's fine since you're trying to do this do computers anyway).

I appreciate your insight. Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.