Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
There are two 200-foot long left turn lanes to turn onto the on-ramp on the expressway I take to work each day. After the turn, the right lane eventually merges with the left on the onramp about 700 feet down the ramp. Almost every day there are cars piled into the leftmost turn lane, literally spilling out into the straight lanes while the rightmost turn lane is either empty or only has 1-5 cars in it. Makes absolutely no sense! Why do people do this? My two theories are:

1. Drivers who are unfamiliar with the road and aren't aware there are actually two left turn lanes.

2. Drivers don't want to zipper merge from the right to left on the on-ramp

The problem with theory 1 is that both lanes are clearly marked as left turn lanes with large white arrows painted on them, but I suppose they could just be really bad at situational awareness. Second problem is that I often see the same cars every day doing this, so they know there are two turn lanes.

Theory 2 seems more plausible, as it seems to be the same phenomenon as people who merge miles ahead of construction when there is plenty of roadway left to use. In that case, I can only guess they're afraid that either others won't let them over at the choke point or that they will be viewed and possibly raged at as "line cutters" by ignorant people who don't understand how zipper merging works. However, an on-ramp seems like a different scenario to me than lane closures, so I'm not sure if it's a good comparison.

While occasionally I have some dingleberry in the left turn lane who will try to block me from zipper merging (i.e. speed up to close the gap that I'm about to merge into), it's really not that big of a deal most days, as there's plenty of ramp. If someone does try to block me, they usually eventually back off once they see that I'm holding my position. If they don't by the time it's getting close to the choke point, then I'll just slow down and merge behind them. I sure wouldn't want to wait 1-2 extra light cycles just to avoid that occasional scenario.

Reactions: Huntn

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I think it is more for the 2nd reason you posted. Like you mentioned theory 1 the street has markings and probably a sign near the lights that indicate 2 turn lanes. I think most people are familiar that the lane merges and maybe they feel like "that guy" or don't want to deal with it, I am not entirely sure. I know for myself I take whatever lane has the least amount of cars so that as many people as possible can be in the turn lanes without over spilling into the straight lanes (depends how heavy traffic and where you are at for this one) the only time I will go in the more packed one is if I know almost immediately after said turn I will need to make another, then I will go into the appropriate lane, but this is usually assuming there is no merging of the lanes.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
People almost always head to the left most lane because of the mentality that the left lane is the passing lane and slower traffic goes to the right. That habit extends to merging and what not as well.

I find if I stay in the middle to right lane, I'm generally less stresed and the traffic flows more evenly, i.e., not much stop and go, just go, albeit slower.

Reactions: smirking and Huntn

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I think it's because people go into autopilot when driving. They take the familiar route, even if there is a faster one, because it doesn't require extra thought. If the streets are clear, sometimes when I arrive at my destination, I don't remember much of the trip. If there's traffic, I'll remember every bastard who made my drive miserable.😒 Next time, that red G37 tries to shoe horn his (_!_) in front me, he'll trade paint with my '99 Taco.😏 Or not.🙃

• Haha
Reactions: smirking and Huntn

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Honestly? In my case, in the past, if I'm turning left onto an on-ramp with two turn lanes, the reason is simple:

I don't want to be the douchebag in the right hand lane either trying to 'beat' everyone to the interstate and potentially cutting them all off.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I don't want to be the douchebag in the right hand lane either trying to 'beat' everyone to the interstate and potentially cutting them all off.

Then don't be? LOL! Unless there's a d-bag in the LEFT lane who tries to block me from merging, as mentioned in my OP, there's always a natural gap for me to easily merge into without having to race to "beat" someone to it. The only time I'll pass somebody before merging is if they're going ridiculously slow and there's plenty of room to pass them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Zipper merging.

A concept that relies on people taking turns and all working politely so traffic keeps moving.

Rarely works in Phoenix, Arizona, particularly if the one either blocking the lane or trying to beat everyone else out is driving a truck. It's even worse when it's the jerk who's modified the exhaust so they can roll coal down the entire line of cars.

Out here its force the opening or deny it to everyone else.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Zipper merging.

A concept that relies on people taking turns and all working politely so traffic keeps moving.

Rarely works in Phoenix, Arizona, particularly if the one either blocking the lane or trying to beat everyone else out is driving a truck. It's even worse when it's the jerk who's modified the exhaust so they can roll coal down the entire line of cars.

Out here its force the opening or deny it to everyone else.

It's not perfect (what is?), but it works well enough in my experience. I'm not going to sit in a mile+ long line when there's a perfectly open lane that's not closed that my taxes helped pave 😉 I've never experienced a 100% jerk rate or anything close to it. There's nearly always a gap that I can merge into closer to the actual choke point without having to stop and wait at the end. You have to be assertive with merging, though. I think that's what causes a lot of problems--people who are too gun-shy to merge and are waiting for a bus-length gap to open up or stopping halfway down the open lane and putting their blinker on instead of keeping moving.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Then don't be? LOL! Unless there's a d-bag in the LEFT lane who tries to block me from merging, as mentioned in my OP, there's always a natural gap for me to easily merge into without having to race to "beat" someone to it. The only time I'll pass somebody before merging is if they're going ridiculously slow and there's plenty of room to pass them.
I'm not, EVER. (Unless yeah, there's a gigantic gap in the left lane, and no one in the right lane.)

And agreed on all counts. I mean, if the guy in the left lane is slow, go around him (that's NEVER me lol). If the guy in the RIGHT lane is hauling butt to get around everyone stopped in the left lane...and causes more stoppage in the left lane, and is trying to literally shoehorn his way in...yeah, I've been known occasionally to essentially tell him "Yeah, no...YOU can wait a bit" by not letting him in, but that's maybe 0.1% of the time. The other 99.9% of the time, I adjust speed like anyone else, to let people merge.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There's an intersection near my home where 2 left lanes turn into 3 lanes. Shortly thereafter, there's another intersection where there are four lanes, left turning only, middle 2 straight and right for right-turn only. Both the left and right turns can get you onto the highway.

Most people go into the right lane so that they have a choice - they can switch to the left or right lane depending on how many cars are in the turning lane. So the right turning lane gets backed up. The light will allow in about 7 cars and the right lane can get backed up with about 20 cars. So at some point, people start queuing up in the left lane. But many of them really want to switch to the right lane so that they can turn right. So cars race to get ahead of each other to either move 2 lanes in a short distance or the people that want to go straight or turn right try to block off the person in the left lane that wants to get over 2 lanes.

It's really just poor road design but the state doesn't need the expense of re-engineering the 2 intersections.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
There are numerous reasons for one to get on the left of both turning lanes. For example, there are two highway exit lanes that I know of in this area o Fairbanks, Alaska (there are more too), and if I am planning to make a left turn on the next 2-lane road after exiting the highway, the best idea is for me to get on the leftmost highway exit lane. If I get on the right exit lane and still want to make a left turn on the road ahead, then I would have to drive from the right across the left lane before I can turn left into a 2-lane road. Now. If I were to turn right immediately after exiting the highway, then it would be safer for me to drive on the rightmost highway exit lane. If, I don't need to turn left or right after exiting the highway on this 4-lane road, I can choose to drive faster on either of the two lanes, or just stay on the right following the speed limits. Not all left lanes are in the city streets are fast lanes. There are drivers turning left and right on both 2 and 4-lane city roads.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
There are numerous reasons for one to get on the left of both turning lanes. For example, there are two highway exit lanes that I know of in this area o Fairbanks, Alaska (there are more too), and if I am planning to make a left turn on the next 2-lane road after exiting the highway, the best idea is for me to get on the leftmost highway exit lane. If I get on the right exit lane and still want to make a left turn on the road ahead, then I would have to drive from the right across the left lane before I can turn left into a 2-lane road. Now. If I were to turn right immediately after exiting the highway, then it would be safer for me to drive on the rightmost highway exit lane. If, I don't need to turn left or right after exiting the highway on this 4-lane road, I can choose to drive faster on either of the two lanes, or just stay on the right following the speed limits. Not all left lanes are in the city streets are fast lanes. There are drivers turning left and right on both 2 and 4-lane city roads.

Except none of that applies in the example I gave (though I admit my thread title wasn't as specific if that's all you read). But even in your example, the chances that literally everyone is needing to make an upcoming left turn or everyone is needing to make an upcoming right turn (so that one of the two turn lanes is vacant or maybe has only 1 car in it while the other has 20+ cars in it) are probably very slim.

thays133

Suspended
Mar 25, 2021
I think the answer been covered. People don’t want to be a “jerk” and zipper merge. Instead they are making things worse.

One state DOT did a campaign to help explain to be people zipper merge was better. The Moto was “Be a jerk, wait to merge”. And now I am a jerk and wait to merge. Worse are the try jerk who will split the lane really far back blocking both lanes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are two 200-foot long left turn lanes to turn onto the on-ramp on the expressway I take to work each day. After the turn, the right lane eventually merges with the left on the onramp about 700 feet down the ramp. Almost every day there are cars piled into the leftmost turn lane, literally spilling out into the straight lanes while the rightmost turn lane is either empty or only has 1-5 cars in it. Makes absolutely no sense! Why do people do this? My two theories are:

1. Drivers who are unfamiliar with the road and aren't aware there are actually two left turn lanes.

2. Drivers don't want to zipper merge from the right to left on the on-ramp

The problem with theory 1 is that both lanes are clearly marked as left turn lanes with large white arrows painted on them, but I suppose they could just be really bad at situational awareness. Second problem is that I often see the same cars every day doing this, so they know there are two turn lanes.

Theory 2 seems more plausible, as it seems to be the same phenomenon as people who merge miles ahead of construction when there is plenty of roadway left to use. In that case, I can only guess they're afraid that either others won't let them over at the choke point or that they will be viewed and possibly raged at as "line cutters" by ignorant people who don't understand how zipper merging works. However, an on-ramp seems like a different scenario to me than lane closures, so I'm not sure if it's a good comparison.

While occasionally I have some dingleberry in the left turn lane who will try to block me from zipper merging (i.e. speed up to close the gap that I'm about to merge into), it's really not that big of a deal most days, as there's plenty of ramp. If someone does try to block me, they usually eventually back off once they see that I'm holding my position. If they don't by the time it's getting close to the choke point, then I'll just slow down and merge behind them. I sure wouldn't want to wait 1-2 extra light cycles just to avoid that occasional scenario.
I’m a strong proponent of zipper merging. You are right there are not so bright types who will block the right lane to prevent other vehicles from getting ahead of them in the backup, even though the State pushes zipper merging. For moving onto the highway, I vote 2 because I think they think the left lane goes and merges faster, and I have one less lane to negotiate lateral movement in the mad house. There are lights with 2 left turn lanes, and I usually pick the shorter line, with the theory I want to get though the light, and will take my chances with any lane merging after.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Worse are the try jerk who will split the lane really far back blocking both lanes.

Which is ironic because they're so self-righteous but they are in fact the ones breaking the law by doing that.

subzento

Suspended
Mar 24, 2023
Salt Lake City
People tend to act based on perceived norms and expectations, even if they might not be the most efficient or logical. The fear of being perceived as a "line cutter" or facing aggression from other drivers can influence decision-making on the road.

Although theory 2 appears to be more believable it's important to take into account that driving behaviors can be intricate and influenced by a range of factors. Furthermore the design of roads and the presence of signs play a role, in guiding drivers. Promoting an understanding of zipper merging and cultivating a driving culture can help improve traffic flow in situations such as, on ramp merges.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Except none of that applies in the example I gave (though I admit my thread title wasn't as specific if that's all you read). But even in your example, the chances that literally everyone is needing to make an upcoming left turn or everyone is needing to make an upcoming right turn (so that one of the two turn lanes is vacant or maybe has only 1 car in it while the other has 20+ cars in it) are probably very slim.
Well, you also have to take into consideration that what happens on the roads you drive may not be identical or similar to roads in other towns and cities across the US. For example, long ago when I drove in NYC and the Bronx the "full stop" at the stop signs by crossroads was much like "roll and go." I seldom saw anybody stop at the sign. But again, there are numerous reasons why drivers would behave one way or another, including the ones you have stated. That said, the things we notice the most in other drivers (in general) are the things we dislike the most, but don't forget that what other drivers notice the most in your driving are things they dislike, too. I prefer to drive on the faster of the two lanes, being the left or the right one, regardless of how many cars there are on it.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Well, you also have to take into consideration that what happens on the roads you drive may not be identical or similar to roads in other towns and cities across the US. For example, long ago when I drove in NYC and the Bronx the "full stop" at the stop signs by crossroads was much like "roll and go." I seldom saw anybody stop at the sign. But again, there are numerous reasons why drivers would behave one way or another, including the ones you have stated. That said, the things we notice the most in other drivers (in general) are the things we dislike the most, but don't forget that what other drivers notice the most in your driving are things they dislike, too.
While that is often the case, sometimes the behavior of other drivers is so outrageous, it is hard to justify it against any rational expectations. For example, I remember being in Boston where our cab driver explained (while demonstrating) that going the wrong way down a one way street was acceptable as long as the traffic was “light”and you only went a block or two 😱

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
While that is often the case, sometimes the behavior of other drivers is so outrageous, it is hard to justify it against any rational expectations. For example, I remember being in Boston where our cab driver explained (while demonstrating) that going the wrong way down a one way street was acceptable as long as the traffic was “light”and you only went a block or two 😱
Yes, some people have views like that.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
In my area, the inductive loop vehicle sensors only exist in the left most turning lane. Of course most drivers pull into the crosswalk where the sensor doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: chown33

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
There's a very similar onramp I take every day. I actually opt for the right side lane, because I drive very smoothly and respect the speed limit. I already know the people behind me will want to pass me, so I make it safer to do so.

People might find my driving annoying but it means I get almost 10 mpg over what my car is factory rated for!

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Well, you also have to take into consideration that what happens on the roads you drive may not be identical or similar to roads in other towns and cities across the US. For example, long ago when I drove in NYC and the Bronx the "full stop" at the stop signs by crossroads was much like "roll and go." I seldom saw anybody stop at the sign. But again, there are numerous reasons why drivers would behave one way or another, including the ones you have stated. That said, the things we notice the most in other drivers (in general) are the things we dislike the most, but don't forget that what other drivers notice the most in your driving are things they dislike, too. I prefer to drive on the faster of the two lanes, being the left or the right one, regardless of how many cars there are on it.

Yeah, except those kind of things (rolling a stop sign) are pretty obvious to explain (impatience). In the example I gave, people are actually making their commute a few minutes longer, just so...they don't have to zipper merge (?). Anyway, I notice all sorts of things in other drivers that I don't like but can easily understand the reasoning behind (selfish as it may be). But this isn't one of them. Another mysterious one is the people that leave a school bus length between them and the car in front of them (or the stop line) at red lights. I can understand leaving maybe a 0.5-1 car lengths (at max) to have a buffer zone in case you get rear-ended, but ginormous gaps make no sense. And sometimes these people will slowly crawl forward the whole time until they're at a more "normal" distance, which would definitely negate the whole "it's for safety" reasoning for those folks.

Reactions: yankees992013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.