Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankees992013

Suspended
Dec 5, 2023
Yeah, except those kind of things (rolling a stop sign) are pretty obvious to explain (impatience). In the example I gave, people are actually making their commute a few minutes longer, just so...they don't have to zipper merge (?). Anyway, I notice all sorts of things in other drivers that I don't like but can easily understand the reasoning behind (selfish as it may be). But this isn't one of them. Another mysterious one is the people that leave a school bus length between them and the car in front of them (or the stop line) at red lights. I can understand leaving maybe a 0.5-1 car lengths (at max) to have a buffer zone in case you get rear-ended, but ginormous gaps make no sense. And sometimes these people will slowly crawl forward the whole time until they're at a more "normal" distance, which would definitely negate the whole "it's for safety" reasoning for those folks.
I am guilty of this. Then again everyone in my city Hartford does it, lol.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
This is why:

licensed-image

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I can thiink of a good reason why some people may prefer the left most lane in some circumstances, but they would necessarily apply to your situation of a freeway onramp. The second left turn lane in a very large intersection can be disorienting. There aren't any drawn lanes when you're turning so as the outer lane, your reference is whatever the person in the inner lane is doing and they might be taking a wider turn than they should be or worse, they may not realize there's a second left turn lane and drift right into yours.

Add to that, depending on how many lanes we're talking about, you may also have to watch for bad drivers going the opposite direction merging in to your right at the wrong time or people making left turns on the opposite side drifting too close to you.

At least here in NorCal, the second left turn lane is a little bit more stressful to be in. The innermost lane is less drama.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Why do people do this?

I'd rather be asked for permission to enter-into, than ask permission for the same.

In a Perfect World, all my co-commuters would be as congenial and mindful as I; but, this is often not the case 🤷‍♂️

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I'd rather be asked for permission to enter-into, than ask permission for the same.

In a Perfect World, all my co-commuters would be as congenial and mindful as I; but, this is often not the case 🤷‍♂️

But you're still going to have to deal with people trying play chicken with you or just full on cut you off. I guess it's just psychological.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
But you're still going to have to deal with people trying play chicken with you or just full on cut you off. I guess it's just psychological.

Yeah, there is always that.

I just let it happen; but, at least I don’t have to rely upon the kindness of others ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.