Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Really it costs as much as a game console yet every youtuber I watched even the simplest housewife has final cut pro on her MacBook. Sorry but you will never see me pay $300+tax for one app that I would most likely won't even use as much. I would rather just pay a subscription like I do with SetApp. I pay yearly which gives me over 200 apps with free updates.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I forgot about all the free stuff they get and all the money they make. That is why it's hard to trust their reviews sometimes.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Sorry but you will never see me pay $300+tax for one app that I would most likely won't even use as much. I would rather just pay a subscription like I do with SetApp. I pay yearly which gives me over 200 apps with free updates.
You probably don’t realize that if you buy Final Cut Pro from the App Store https://apps.apple.com/app/id424389933 it’s forever in your account, you can install it on all your Macs, your family’s Macs (Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled) and you always receive free updates.

I’m just pointing out the potential advantages for professional editors and “creators”. I don’t even like Final Cut Pro, I prefer iMovie.

Free & open source video editors
Kdenlive https://kdenlive.org/
OpenShot https://www.openshot.org
Shotcut https://www.shotcut.org
Olive https://www.olivevideoeditor.org

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I purchased FCPX many years ago. Still use it to this day. Not in a very intensive way - I only really use the basics for my videos, but it works for me and makes the process easy - that's worth it for me. iMovie was good, but just didn't do those few extra bits I was after, hence the upgrade.
I'd rather this then be bound to a subscription all day long!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I purchased FCPX many years ago. Still use it to this day. Not in a very intensive way - I only really use the basics for my videos, but it works for me and makes the process easy - that's worth it for me. iMovie was good, but just didn't do those few extra bits I was after, hence the upgrade.
I bought FCPX years ago and have been amazed at how I'm still getting updates for free -- and significant ones at that.

UCLA-Bruin

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Purchased FCP 1 back in 1999. I think we paid $999+tax, adjusted for inflation today is
$2,023.20.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
This! iMovie until you feel restricted, then step up to FCP.

Reactions: me55

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I’m not a big YouTuber just occasionally post videos but I use Final Cut for projects several times a month. It’s worth paying to have something user friendly that makes you want to work. You get what you pay for

Reactions: Schnauzer World

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Most high profile Youtubers make enough money on the platform that $300 to make their editing go smoothly is a drop in the bucket.

Also, if they happen to be a student, they can purchase the entire Pro Apps package (FCP, Logic Pro, Compressor, Motion and MainStage) for $199.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I pay for Adobe Creative Cloud (all app subscription version). I pay for the entire cost for the year with about a half day's work.

If you're a professional making a living off an app like Final Cut Pro, $300 isn't even a drop in the bucket – it's a sprinkle that dissipates in the air on the way down to the bucket.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You could also use the free version of DaVinci Resolve.
But a more difficult interface than FCP.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I pay for Adobe Creative Cloud (all app subscription version). I pay for the entire cost for the year with about a half day's work.

If you're a professional making a living off an app like Final Cut Pro, $300 isn't even a drop in the bucket – it's a sprinkle that dissipates in the air on the way down to the bucket.
A tax-deductable sprinkle, at that.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Really it costs as much as a game console yet every youtuber I watched even the simplest housewife has final cut pro on her MacBook. Sorry but you will never see me pay $300+tax for one app that I would most likely won't even use as much. I would rather just pay a subscription like I do with SetApp. I pay yearly which gives me over 200 apps with free updates.

Most people aren't as poor as you are. $300 is not a huge expense.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yes, a casual user would never buy a high-end app. But these are not casual users. They work for hours on their video and care about the final result.

FCP works well and is easy to use. There are other apps that also work well and DaVinci Resolve is free. They could use that but for ease of use, FCP wins for some people.

$300 is not a lot of money for something you use frequently. Especially when you compare it to the cost of lights, microphones, and cameras. $300 is not much compared to the cost of a professional lav microphone or a big light panel.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020

Thats how I feel about SetApp.. Why would anyone rent software when they could just buy the best apps (and forget about the 200 apps you will never use) for less than than the $180/year a SetApp renter with two macs pays..

Reactions: Altis and chown33

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Purchased FCP 1 back in 1999. I think we paid $999+tax,

Paid $830 13 years ago. That's $63 dollars a year, dropping every year.

$300 once is a great price, . Premiere Pro is $252 each year with increases likely, forever.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Paid $830 13 years ago. That's $63 dollars a year, dropping every year.

$300 once is a great price, . Premiere Pro is $252 each year with increases likely, forever.

In adobe's defense, they know kids pirate their apps and have always just shrugged. They offer discounts for students and when you grow up you shouldn't mind paying the full subscription price if you use their products professionally at which point you write it off on your taxes.

I do prefer one-time purchases but Adobe really gives you a lot for your subscription (great tutorials) unlike some devs that milk you monthly and only update once or twice a year..

Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I would never put Adobe apps on my computers. I don't mind paying yearly. I do for SetApp and Microsoft Office. The reason is that Adobe loads a crapload of processing in the background. Slows down your computer. Uses a lot of disk space. Also it's a Pita to uninstall the software after.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
In adobe's defense, they know kids pirate their apps and have always just shrugged. They offer discounts for students and when you grow up you shouldn't mind paying the full subscription price if you use their products professionally at which point you write it off on your taxes.

I do prefer one-time purchases but Adobe really gives you a lot for your subscription (great tutorials) unlike some devs that milk you monthly and only update once or twice a year..
Here in the USA it’s harder to make it a tax write off because of the generous standard deduction. A non married person would need to have over 14,000 dollars in deductions to itemize their taxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.