Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
So for those naysayers about 5G, can I ask...

Do you not log on to a McDonalds / Starbucks wifi when you go in there? Do you don’t use hotel wifi if staying away? Maybe you don‘t even logon to your home wifi with your phone when at home?

The point being, wifi hotspots have patchy coverage and aren’t available everywhere, but many of us will quickly search for them the moment we enter a premises as they offer one thing more than anything else.....speed.

Certainly for the moment, this is about ‘Want’ more than ‘Need’, but none of us actually need half the tech we already own. Of course coverage will improve, prices will come down etc, but the demand is there and will continue to grow.

Reactions: jbachandouris

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
My wish for 5g is that someday I will be able to untether my home internet from my current provider. Home 5g over cellular could really open up competition. As it is, I have only two options for home internet where I live, and neither one is that great. Being able to choose from a variety of cellular options would likely drive better services as you would not be tied to whoever has physically installed cable or fiber in your neighborhood.

Regarding phone use, I really don't see a huge benefit to 5g for my usage at the present time. As the technology advances and matures, I am sure that will change.

I am in a similar situation. There is only one internet provider in my county, unless you are willing to count Hughes Satellite which has a lot of limitations and not many advantages. But for me 5G on my phone when at home is a “what if” type of question. I’m lucky to get 4G now, although if I go 5 miles south it’s consistently available. But I would like something to break the monopoly that the current internet provider has, and has had for decades, in my area.

Reactions: VineRider

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
I would far rather the networks were extended to cover the whole country with 4G before thinking about 5G.
Nothing I do with the phone would benefit from 5G.

Neko1500

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Los Angeles
My thoughts exactly. These speeds are fine:

EDBD3CE9-33B4-4B50-B3D5-2B9B8D672FB3.png

mv24

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2019
5G ? It is like carrying a radioactive material on you or constantly running microwave. No, thank you. Let's look into motivation. Why somebody's would develop this technology, spending substantial funds in the middle, and then push into civil population? Is just to allow a marginal niche groups to do something arguably faster? Thank you, no, thank you

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
I personally don't need it, at most I just listen to music on my phone with spotify and check some forums. not really even watch youtube outside my own home or when not in wifi; I can see why some people need it but I don't

pnds

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
5G ? It is like carrying a radioactive material on you or constantly running microwave. No, thank you. Let's look into motivation. Why somebody's would develop this technology, spending substantial funds in the middle, and then push into civil population? Is just to allow a marginal niche groups to do something arguably faster? Thank you, no, thank you
i gEt aLl oF My nEwS FrOm fAcEbOoK

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I tested my S20 Ultra with 5G disabled and then enabled. 5G gets me coverage in places 4G LTE doesn't, like elevators, basements, and even some known dead zones. The speeds are pretty similar to 4G LTE, just slightly higher with less latency.

Now millimeter wave 5G, is much more scattered. I've only experienced mmwave in certain areas in Manhattan, Bklyn, and Queens in NYC. And in multiple major airports across the globe. I'm sure in less dense places, mmwave is even more rare. The highest speed I got was around 980 download. I usually get around 500-700 download.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I would far rather the networks were extended to cover the whole country with 4G before thinking about 5G.
Nothing I do with the phone would benefit from 5G.
I can't see my little patch of the planet getting 5G for a very long time.

But what I really do want is 100% coverage by at least something, say a minimum of 3G. In a world almost entirely without public telephones, the lack of any signal in many nearby parts is dire. Not for playing - but for anything that requires urgent communication. Accidents. Illnesses. Breakdowns.

As this is a coastal area, coverage should be mandated out a fair distance to ensure people trapped by tides, having boat problems, even blown away on a lilo, should be able to call for help. For themselves or for others. Yet, even with emergency calls supposedly working across carriers, there is not always a signal available.

If I knew 5G were not coming, I'd be happy enough with a 4G model (were one available). As someone who keeps my phones for a long time, five years is hard to predict. So 5G just might be useful, at some point, or when on a trip.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Oh man. I remember trying to play Quake online back in the mid-90s and being so jealous of college students in dorms with fast connections (or the occasional DSL user). ”LPB’s”, they were called. Man, that latency on 56k.... ?
What's funny is our 56k was better than once we got one way cable. Everything was so badly out of sync since uploads were still phone lines but downloads were cable.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
As with all technological transitions, things will be messy in the beginning and eventually ubiquitous. In the meantime, the question over the past couple of product cycles has been, should I choose a device based on 5G? For most use cases, the answer has been an emphatic no. For the current/upcoming product cycle, the answer will be more of a definite maybe. By this time next year, it will no longer be a question, as it will be standard issue on nearly all new models. You'll get 5G whether you want it or not.

For the most part, the 5G networks still have massive holes, and for the devices themselves the 5G modem has been a power drain.

And to add to the confusion, there are multiple flavors of 5G service, each of which has differing levels of improvement over 4G LTE. The hype over 5G largely centers on the mmWave variant. That type of 5G is blazing fast and a huge uptick by multiples over the lastest LTE service. Great! Problem is that mmWave requires a much higher tower density, and is more susceptible to interference from buildings, land masses, and other large objects. Rural and many suburban locations need not apply.

Verizon has so far deployed only mmWave for its 5G service. That's why they can advertise that they have the fastest 5G service (by a wide margin). But, good luck getting a 5G signal outside of the densest areas of large cities.

Which leaves the lower frequency sub-6 5G service, which is vast majority of "5G" service. The sub-6 service builds on LTE, but you can't really call it LTE+ since it requires a 5G modem. Because it uses lower frequencies, the low band and mid band 5G service has longer range and is less susceptible to interference from buildings and large objects. But, it's also way slower than mmWave 5G, and recent tests done by both PCMag and the Washington Post found that low band and mid band 5G service is only a modest improvement over existing LTE service, and in some cases is actually slower than LTE.

Further confusing things, AT&T has gone as far as labeling their LTE-A service as "5G Evolution". This is reminiscent of how some carriers called HSPA+ service as "4G" while detractors said that HSPA+ was really an extension of 3G. This is inevitable during a transition, so buyer beware.

If you're looking to get one of the upcoming iPhone 12 models, it will come with 5G. To some extent, it will futureproof the device as 5G becomes more commonplace in the upcoming years. However, if the rumors that only the top of the line iPhone 12 will support mmWave 5G turn out to be true, then that means the majority of the iPhone 12 models will be limited to the gimped 5G and won't ever support the fastest 5G speeds. That all adds up to compromises now, and a shorter shelf life over the long run.

Inevitably, the 5G modems will get better, cost less, and likely use less battery than what's currently available. This is the problem anytime you adopt a new standard during the early transitional period -- you'll pay a lot for something that will be more expensive and less futureproof than something that will become available in a relatively short time.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you're looking to get one of the upcoming iPhone 12 models, it will come with 5G. To some extent, it will futureproof the device as 5G becomes more commonplace in the upcoming years. However, if the rumors that only the top of the line iPhone 12 will support mmWave 5G turn out to be true, then that means the majority of the iPhone 12 models will be limited to the gimped 5G and won't ever support the fastest 5G speeds. That all adds up to compromises now, and a shorter shelf life over the long run.
To be honest, I'm not really expecting any future proofing with the iPhone 12. The notch means I'd likely upgrade whenever that's reduced or eliminated. I'll also upgrade for improvements in display technology to reduce eye strain. New 5G bands as well for whatever carrier I'll have at the time.

Inevitably, the 5G modems will get better, cost less, and likely use less battery than what's currently available. This is the problem anytime you adopt a new standard during the early transitional period -- you'll pay a lot for something that will be more expensive and less futureproof than something that will become available in a relatively short time.
On the upside, depending on location, there's also the possibility of getting really good speeds until the 5G gets congested as well.

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I can't see my little patch of the planet getting 5G for a very long time.

But what I really do want is 100% coverage by at least something, say a minimum of 3G. In a world almost entirely without public telephones, the lack of any signal in many nearby parts is dire. Not for playing - but for anything that requires urgent communication. Accidents. Illnesses. Breakdowns.

As this is a coastal area, coverage should be mandated out a fair distance to ensure people trapped by tides, having boat problems, even blown away on a lilo, should be able to call for help. For themselves or for others. Yet, even with emergency calls supposedly working across carriers, there is not always a signal available.

If I knew 5G were not coming, I'd be happy enough with a 4G model (were one available). As someone who keeps my phones for a long time, five years is hard to predict. So 5G just might be useful, at some point, or when on a trip.

Satellite phone is the answer. ;) https://satellitephonestore.com/catalog/sale/satellite-phones

Last edited:

jhfmartens

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Just asking. Not really sure why someone would need 5G speeds other then to see them on Ookla. What do you do on your phone that would warrant 5G over 4G LTE?
"Most" people are just checking social media, lite browsing, email and occasional streaming. Even 4K only needs 15-20mbps down if not less on a mobile device.

Where I live, I get 70-90mbps at best down on T-mobile and I am in a rural area. Typically I will get 40-50mbps when the towers are congested.
The main benefit of 5G is not the speed. It's in the system latency and the AI in the network. If you just watch Netflix, then latency of a couple of seconds is not an issue. Who cares if the video takes a couple of seconds to load? But if you want to use it to connect cars for autonomous driving or conduct remote surgery, then a couple of seconds of latency is not good enough. 5G will deliver milliseconds of latency, and that's what's needed. In terms of network AT, just imagine that a football stadium full of fans (yes, that's pre-pandemic) simultaneously responds to an ad or a request to visit a URL, then a 4G system is overloaded, and no one can load the requested URL. A 5G system deploys virtual cell towers and off-loads the requested content. Result: all users get the content without noticeable delay.
5G is not about speed, it's about latency and AI.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So for those naysayers about 5G, can I ask...

Do you not log on to a McDonalds / Starbucks wifi when you go in there? Do you don’t use hotel wifi if staying away? Maybe you don‘t even logon to your home wifi with your phone when at home?

The point being, wifi hotspots have patchy coverage and aren’t available everywhere, but many of us will quickly search for them the moment we enter a premises as they offer one thing more than anything else.....speed.

Certainly for the moment, this is about ‘Want’ more than ‘Need’, but none of us actually need half the tech we already own. Of course coverage will improve, prices will come down etc, but the demand is there and will continue to grow.

I’d actually disagree with that. The reason I and a lot of other people connect to wifi is to save data. Not everyone is on unlimited plans. Unless I’m getting poor reception, 4G speed is fine. I am hoping 5G will improve reception at work though. Currently I average 2 bars.

Reactions: polyphenol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.