Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diego9

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2020
Having read dozens of the replies, the most plausible reason to need 5G is to avoid congestion.

I don’t need 5G because I’m on Wi-Fi 95% of the time, and the city where I live doesn’t have congestion problems.

By the way, I have been to festivals, and many years ago it was impossible to communicate at a festival, but even that kind of situation has been improving in recent years - without 5G.

Which takes me to my next point. If there’s one thing that I learned, it’s that cellular data is in continuous improvement over the years. The cell phone makers and providers invented the Gs as a marketing ploy to make you believe that each new generation is a revolutionary approach and you must upgrade. The reality is that there is a constant and gradual evolution, not revolution, happening every year.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
For me, it's like "Future-proofing" my device. I did see a local Philly news story yesterday how Verizon launched 5G in Philadelphia on Tues. (odd, interesting timing - the whole Apple-Verizon partnership). Then seeing these new commercials with Chris Rock/Verizon at lest 6 times yesterday.

I checked the Verizon 5G coverage map, yeah..this map shows or claims to have 5G all over in red (Deep red color - UltraWide 5G in various locations in center city Philly) - but then noticed the yellow patch of "4G/LTE" area north of the city limits...right smack in the middle of where I live. Really....REALLY VERIZON???? 😆

Not sure why, maybe a tower hasn't been installed in my immediate area yet for whatever reason. (There are parts of this town that can't even get 4G or ANY service for that matter! It's like bizarre dead zone, even my Sirius XM loses service driving through it)

BUT, I'm fine where I am and at least LTE gets a massive boost from these new Phones. Thats a major plus at least.

LTE speed test comparison.
sxPo3lD.png

diego9

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2020
I don't know where they got those mbps numbers, but I just tested my 11 Pro Max with 2 bars of LTE service and got 37mbps. With 5 bars I would have gotten way more than 58mpbs.

As for future-proofing - as I said earlier, every year they come up with something new. I remember when the iPhone with 4G came out, and then pretty much every year after that they came up with some improvement to the cellular radios such as Carrier Aggregation (CA), Dual Carrier (DC), etc. Each year, the cellular data technology was faster than the year before - even though it was all still "4G".

And of course, you had to get the new iPhone each year to take advantage of the higher speed - so if you got the first 4G iPhone when it came out for future-proofing purposes, too bad. It's like I said - the "Gs" are just a marketing ploy to make you believe you need to upgrade now. In reality, every year there is an incremental improvement.

Reactions: hawkeye372

hawkeye372

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
I agree it’s just a ploy mist if the time I’m home and on my WiFi. So the little that I’m out I don’t care if its 4 g if 5 g. Even though my carrier says they have 5 g. My area where I live I don’t think has it.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
The promise of 5G isn't anywhere near fully realized at the moment. But some of the things they've talked about are pretty interesting - every vehicle, appliance etc being internet connected. They say the idea of ultra fast, ubiquitous cellular internet will change everything... Sounds great, but really far away, and kinda unrealistic given the greedy network providers.

Reactions: remington79

hawkeye372

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
The promise of 5G isn't anywhere near fully realized at the moment. But some of the things they've talked about are pretty interesting - every vehicle, appliance etc being internet connected. They say the idea of ultra fast, ubiquitous cellular internet will change everything... Sounds great, but really far away, and kinda unrealistic given the greedy network providers.

Speaking if every appliance and car being internet capable. I like the new HomePod mini with Siri built in. I was watching the recent Apple event and they were talking about how you can say hey Siri remind everyone it’s time to leave or wheee the guy was saying hey Siri tell everyone I’m bringing pizza home. So everyone that has a iPhone or Siri enabled device it merges seemingly from Apple play to their ear pods and iPhones.
I really like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.