Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Oh dear oh dear, people still battling on about this rubbish? I’ll tell some home truths..

Sony, I got a launch PS4 that was dead out the box, great quality control there, replacement was alright but I had to wait for it... however of course it sounds like a jet fighter on take off when in use, a fault that Sony fixed after a year of launch.. yeah that’s nice they didn’t design it properly in the first place.
Exclusives, well theirs only one and that’s The Last Of Us, I played the others and they are pretty meh, even Uncharted wasn’t as good as the second one.
They offer INCREDIBLY poor value for money, the console costs more, didn’t have decent WiFi till the slim model, and the ‘free’ games on PSN, which is now more expensive then Xbox Gold, are an utter joke, they went from great games on the PS3 to endless cheap indie titles.

And as for AAA exclusives, well Sony and Polygon have managed to royally screw up Gran Turismo.. now being an online ONLY exclusive test to see if your worthy of some racing license.. that’s peed my brother in law off no end, a massive GT fan ONLY because of the in depth campaign mode, he has zero interest in the new one.
Yeah that’s one mess of a game, but maybe, just maybe, in five years they’ll release the single player game?

Meanwhile Xbox has had several Forza interations all fantastic, also on Xbox you get INCREDIBLE value for money, great free games for Xbox Gold, which is still a better service then PSN, and you get endless sales too, unlike Sony which only offer special events.
Plus with the Xbone you’ve had decent WiFi since day one, the new S plays 4K BlueRays, and the Xbox X is expensive, but it is also much more powerful then the PS4 Pro.

But defenders will still defend Sony, I never use my PS4, only reason I still have it is for Last Of Us 2 and my nephew when he comes round. The majority of Sonys profits now come from the PlayStation, they had a cracking start, could of really killed it, and instead just price gouge you compared to the competition.
They had the more powerful machine he and wasted it, in some cross platform games the PS4 offers slightly better graphics, but that’s it.

Nintendo also beat Sony, in innovation, the Switch is a clever and interesting and different device, it also beats any tablet or smartphone as you won’t get Mario Kart on those..

Sony hasn’t won every month in sales figures either, most of them head but this year Microsoft have beaten them a couple of times.
You can ‘claim’ Sony won if you want, but that’s to ignore what you’ve lost in the process.

At the end of the day, no one cares, just play what you want, but I would suggest finding something more interesting to do in life then moan about when ch ‘console has won the wars’... because really, no one cares.
[doublepost=1509897149][/doublepost]

Haha so I presume you consider the PS4 to be such a master system that the Switch doesn’t compare? Even though the Switch is in fact a home games console that plays games in the TV as well as going mobile, or was it damage limitation on your part to suggest the two are ‘competitors in different races’?

I never had wifi issues on my launch PS4. And I don't know anyone who has.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I never had wifi issues on my launch PS4. And I don't know anyone who has.

Some people did (I worked retail at the launch and there were a couple here and there and the optical drive had problems - Sony repaired them).

Of course, it is a new advanced platform so it is bound to. Assume the same with PS5 and Xbox Two... ;)

That's why I waited until March to get one - essentially the second huge production batch after the holidays... plus I had to upgrade to the latest firmware when I got it as it flashed a new firmware to the optical drive.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Oh dear oh dear, people still battling on about this rubbish? I’ll tell some home truths..

Sony, I got a launch PS4 that was dead out the box, great quality control there, replacement was alright but I had to wait for it... however of course it sounds like a jet fighter on take off when in use, a fault that Sony fixed after a year of launch.. yeah that’s nice they didn’t design it properly in the first place.
Exclusives, well theirs only one and that’s The Last Of Us, I played the others and they are pretty meh, even Uncharted wasn’t as good as the second one.
They offer INCREDIBLY poor value for money, the console costs more, didn’t have decent WiFi till the slim model, and the ‘free’ games on PSN, which is now more expensive then Xbox Gold, are an utter joke, they went from great games on the PS3 to endless cheap indie titles.

And as for AAA exclusives, well Sony and Polygon have managed to royally screw up Gran Turismo.. now being an online ONLY exclusive test to see if your worthy of some racing license.. that’s peed my brother in law off no end, a massive GT fan ONLY because of the in depth campaign mode, he has zero interest in the new one.
Yeah that’s one mess of a game, but maybe, just maybe, in five years they’ll release the single player game?

Meanwhile Xbox has had several Forza interations all fantastic, also on Xbox you get INCREDIBLE value for money, great free games for Xbox Gold, which is still a better service then PSN, and you get endless sales too, unlike Sony which only offer special events.
Plus with the Xbone you’ve had decent WiFi since day one, the new S plays 4K BlueRays, and the Xbox X is expensive, but it is also much more powerful then the PS4 Pro.

But defenders will still defend Sony, I never use my PS4, only reason I still have it is for Last Of Us 2 and my nephew when he comes round. The majority of Sonys profits now come from the PlayStation, they had a cracking start, could of really killed it, and instead just price gouge you compared to the competition.
They had the more powerful machine he and wasted it, in some cross platform games the PS4 offers slightly better graphics, but that’s it.

Nintendo also beat Sony, in innovation, the Switch is a clever and interesting and different device, it also beats any tablet or smartphone as you won’t get Mario Kart on those..

Sony hasn’t won every month in sales figures either, most of them head but this year Microsoft have beaten them a couple of times.
You can ‘claim’ Sony won if you want, but that’s to ignore what you’ve lost in the process.

At the end of the day, no one cares, just play what you want, but I would suggest finding something more interesting to do in life then moan about when ch ‘console has won the wars’... because really, no one cares.
[doublepost=1509897149][/doublepost]

Haha so I presume you consider the PS4 to be such a master system that the Switch doesn’t compare? Even though the Switch is in fact a home games console that plays games in the TV as well as going mobile, or was it damage limitation on your part to suggest the two are ‘competitors in different races’?

Funny:

"What, people are still talking about why one console maker is better than the other?

Well, here are twenty reasons and personal anecdotes why one console maker is so much better than the other.

But no one should talk about this, because really, no one cares!"

:rolleyes: ;)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Funny:

"What, people are still talking about why one console maker is better than the other?

Well, here are twenty reasons and personal anecdotes why one console maker is so much better than the other.

Yes, no one cares, yet people go online, hurl abuse at each other, attempt to constantly belittle each other, claiming my console is better then yours cause more people bought it waaahhhwwaahhh..

Go outside and find something more constructive to do, or just play your games on your far superior games system....

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Yes, no one cares, yet people go online, hurl abuse at each other, attempt to constantly belittle each other, claiming my console is better then yours cause more people bought it waaahhhwwaahhh..

Go outside and find something more constructive to do, or just play your games on your far superior games system....
It's been going around like this for ages. Sega vs Nintendo was just as brutal 25 years ago. Then after the death of Dreamcast, Sega especially Yuji Naka's Sonic Team and Nintendo became close. Yuji Naka and Shigeru Miyamoto would even go out for tea time.

I never understood the concept of fanboyism. I remember I had a classmate in 5th - 8th grade that was a huge Nintendo fanboy. I bought a Genesis and he would always find a way to talk crap about Sega. I eventually bought a SNES two years after my Genesis and loved both equally for different reasons.

By the 5th gen, I used PS1 exclusively but got N64 and Saturn several years after. By 6th, I got Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. Skipped X360 and PS3. Now on PS4 but thinking of Xbone S just as a media hub..

I like it all really. It's weird. I can love it and talk crap about it too. That thin line between love and hate. Similar to smartphones. I might not want iPhone X because iOS can't really be my main phone for Dasher or tethering but it doesn't mean it sucks. X is probably the best iPhone ever made (so far). I can still roll with iPhone as a secondary.

Folks are just insecure online. Trashing other people's preferences for no apparent reason.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
It's been going around like this for ages. Sega vs Nintendo was just as brutal 25 years ago. Then after the death of Dreamcast, Sega especially Yuji Naka's Sonic Team and Nintendo became close. Yuji Naka and Shigeru Miyamoto would even go out for tea time.

I never understood the concept of fanboyism. I remember I had a classmate in 5th - 8th grade that was a huge Nintendo fanboy. I bought a Genesis and he would always find a way to talk crap about Sega. I eventually bought a SNES two years after my Genesis and loved both equally for different reasons.

By the 5th gen, I used PS1 exclusively but got N64 and Saturn several years after. By 6th, I got Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. Skipped X360 and PS3. Now on PS4 but thinking of Xbone S just as a media hub..

I like it all really. It's weird. I can love it and talk crap about it too. That thin line between love and hate. Similar to smartphones. I might not want iPhone X because iOS can't really be my main phone for Dasher or tethering but it doesn't mean it sucks. X is probably the best iPhone ever made (so far). I can still roll with iPhone as a secondary.

Folks are just insecure online. Trashing other people's preferences for no apparent reason.

Yeah, the companies don’t help either, they love it all as it’s great advertising and leads to sales, people spewing the hate don’t ever seem to realise that they are helping mega corps get richer, share holders get richer?

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Funny:

It's not ones better, it's why one beat the others in sales which is an interesting argument and which funny enough is the thread title and something I'm sure the big N, MS and Sony spend a lot of time (and money) worrying about - what did one side do right or the others do wrong ....

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
My take is that people don't like seeing other people happy using something else. The Internet has made it much worse with people going out of their way to do so.

Why waste valuable time? I don't really know...

The XB1 has legimitate reasons to hate it. Lack of exclusive games, performance worse than the PS4 (when comparing standard versions) and at times performance equal that of the Switch (Sonic Forces plays equally as well on the Switch as the standard XB1).
The Switch does not have that many haters. Sure the vocal minority exist but the majority absolutely love it.
[doublepost=1510305926][/doublepost]
I'm sure the big N, MS and Sony spend a lot of time (and money) worrying about - what did one side do right or the others do wrong ....
Look at the Switch OS and eShop UI. You'll notice how Nintendo ditched it's Wii/WiiU way of doing things and the Switch UI is very similar to what the PS4 has (though in a mroe simplified format).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
The XB1 has legimitate reasons to hate it. Lack of exclusive games, performance worse than the PS4 (when comparing standard versions) and at times performance equal that of the Switch (Sonic Forces plays equally as well on the Switch as the standard XB1).
The Switch does not have that many haters. Sure the vocal minority exist but the majority absolutely love it.
[doublepost=1510305926][/doublepost]
Look at the Switch OS and eShop UI. You'll notice how Nintendo ditched it's Wii/WiiU way of doing things and the Switch UI is very similar to what the PS4 has (though in a mroe simplified format).

????

I love my XB1, can't play Halo on PS4....

Reactions: apolloa

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Talking about exclusives I feel for Xbox is not a good argumentative path to start down...which must be part of the problem I feel and THE gaming mag feel the same

https://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-x-is-a-tough-sell-1820289897

Wow, okay....

Better exclusives I want to play and can only play on Xbox (I no interest the PS4 "exclusives" apart from the VR games), better controller, better on-line, better home media, better optical disc support, better back-compatibility...

PS pales in comparison to all these...

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
It might for you but most of the mags and my friends dont agree with the "better exclusives" comment at all and the lack of VR does look a little old fashioned now too...

From Forbes in June this year at E3 -

"If there was ever a time that Microsoft needed to reassure fans and those who have left for Sony that they’re going to start focusing on must-have exclusives again, it was now, but we seemed to get even further away from that today. Crackdown 3 was barely showcased, Halo was absent entirely and past that, there weren’t even any future huge exclusives teased. The biggest games of Microsoft’s show were third party, Assassin’s Creed Origins, Shadow of War and Anthem. That’s more than a little bizarre.

I think the Xbox One X is going to have a steep climb ahead of it. Microsoft certainly isn’t giving players a reason to come over to their side based on exclusives, so that leaves the arduous task of convincing gamers to pay $500 for a system so their third party games can reach their maximum visual potential. Will this work on me? Yes, but I am a unique case, and convincing non-professionals or those who aren’t Xbox die-hards to shell out that much for an Xbox One X is going to be an incredibly tall order."

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
It might for you but most of the mags and my friends dont agree with the "better exclusives" comment at all and the lack of VR does look a little old fashioned now too...

I love Halo, Sony doesn't have that nor they never will...

Plus, what the mags or your friends think doesn't really matter as well - Microsoft will continue selling games and consoles and people will continue to love and play them.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
I've had both consoles, and enjoy both consoles. There are things I like about each one, but it's just my preference. I ended up selling my Xbox One because I rarely played it, not because I didn't like it or anything but the main game I play is MLB: The Show, and there aren't any baseball games on the Xbox One. I'll go months without touching another game, and even if I do play something else, I'm back to playing baseball very soon. I do prefer the Xbox controller though.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I love Halo, Sony doesn't have that nor they never will...

Plus, what the mags or your friends think doesn't really matter as well - Microsoft will continue selling games and consoles and people will continue to love and play them.

So you re saying that it doesn't matter what the public or the press say as long as MS can just sell half the consoles Sony have ?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
So you re saying that it doesn't matter what the public or the press say as long as MS can just sell half the consoles Sony have ?

Yes...

I'm enjoying my Xbox One and I really don't care what the public or press says...
[doublepost=1510503048][/doublepost]
Yes...

I'm enjoying my Xbox One and I really don't care what the public or press says...

btw - the "public" and "press" said the Nintendo Switch was gonna fail...

(check it out on YouTube, if those people haven't taken down their videos already).

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Yes...

[doublepost=1510503048][/doublepost]

btw - the "public" and "press" said the Nintendo Switch was gonna fail...

(check it out on YouTube, if those people haven't taken down their videos already).

Enjoying YOUR Xbox is great but the Xbox has failed to even come close in this generation, so again as the thread says - why ?

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Enjoying YOUR Xbox is great but the Xbox has failed to even come close in this generation, so again as the thread says - why ?

Why? Because MS doesn't have to.

Walk into their store - the Xbox has been relegated to "the back of the store". In front on the left is MS MR and Gaming Desktop. Left center is Gaming Laptops. On the right is all the Surface PC's, and some "high-end" laptops (laptops costing just as much as MacBooks).

MS now sees the Xbox as an entry-level/media unit to PC gaming (hence when you buy their game download, you get a PC and the Xbox versions).

Black Friday Xbox One S's for around $150 this holiday is a great deal, a better deal than an AppleTV...

(I have an Xbox One S in the liviing room I got for $75 new at Gamestop after all the extra money in trades).

Nintendo doesn't care either - and look where they're at.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
No stores in the uk bud although I think one is coming - You're comparing an Xbox to an Apple TV ? An xbox here is 230 pounds, show me one for 150 pounds and I will buy one now......? No-one over 30 has ever gone in to buy a streaming box and walked out with an Xbox, maybe a Roku or Fire TV (for 80 pounds) but an Xbox ?

Nintendo cared deeply as they learnt big time from their previous mistakes as even their boss Reggie admitted that

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/09/technology/nintendo-switch-wii-u/index.html

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
No stores in the uk bud although I think one is coming - You're comparing an Xbox to an Apple TV ? An xbox here is 230 pounds, show me one for 150 pounds and I will buy one now......? No-one over 30 has ever gone in to buy a streaming box and walked out with an Xbox, maybe a Roku or Fire TV (for 80 pounds) but an Xbox ?

Nintendo cared deeply as they learnt big time from their previous mistakes as even their boss Reggie admitted that

Black Friday Xbox's are $189, plus Kohl's is giving you $45 store money for your next purchase when you buy one....

https://www.blacknfriday.com/kohls-black-friday-ad-2017/

and that's just one store...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008

Second hand in Game the Xbox One S is 180

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/preowned-xbox-one-s-500gb-bundle-with-fifa-17-plus-3-month-xbox-live-and-now-tv-2-month-entertainment-2217061

Better buy then an Apple TV.

And new they are around 206 on amazon ar the moment and that’s before the Black Friday sales.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B075CNJPFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510598413&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=xbox+one+s&dpPl=1&dpID=41y9KHrgnUL&ref=plSrch

So not the £230 you claim.

You also have no idea what people’s buying habits are.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I have a gaming machine, a PS4 Pro and a Switch.

I purchased a Xbox One X because of the online play. The PS4 network is garbage. Online games are much more responsive on the Xbox network.

The difference is 6Mbps vs 40Mbps. For FPS online that difference is huge.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Second hand in Game the Xbox One S is 180

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/preowned-xbox-one-s-500gb-bundle-with-fifa-17-plus-3-month-xbox-live-and-now-tv-2-month-entertainment-2217061

Better buy then an Apple TV.

And new they are around 206 on amazon ar the moment and that’s before the Black Friday sales.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B075CNJPFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510598413&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=xbox+one+s&dpPl=1&dpID=41y9KHrgnUL&ref=plSrch

So not the £230 you claim.

You also have no idea what people’s buying habits are.

Yes, according to this video, Sony is also having a Black Friday weekend sale:

Xbox One S's 500Meg (bundles?) will be $189, plus whatever the retailer throws in.
PS4 1TB's will be $199, plus whatever the retailer throws in.
These are Manufacturer's sale price-points so they may also be in other regions.

Even if there's some sort of sale on the ATV4 (non-4K), you still have to buy a controller with it and iOS compatible ones are around $50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.