Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Lets not even discuss the self induced mobile phone coma that was Windows Phone and the Nokia debacle as its an abject lesson in how not to do something on a massive, massive scale. They learnt so little in that field that they have abandoned it now too which seems strange when the market for phones is growing so fast and PC sales aren't....but hey-ho thats an argument for another thread.

So are we now trying to say that this new niche xbox and its new super duper games are going to catch 30 million plus sales before the PS5 launches ? Out of interest I dont even know what the launch game was for it ? Wanders off to Google, comes back shaking head, apparently there wasn't a flagship launch title.....Picard head time I think.

From the Verge review

"
My biggest issue with the Xbox One X is a lack of stunning 4K games to really show why this is worth $499. Assassin's Creed Origins is the best I tried, but it’s not exclusive to the Xbox One X. Microsoft doesn’t have a single launch exclusive for this console, and while enhancements to old games are great, I often found it hard to even notice big differences because I don’t think some of these games were designed with 4K textures in mind. There’s no big blockbuster game I can only play on the Xbox One X right now, and Microsoft isn’t offering up much hope for the future, either.

Crackdown 3 was supposed to launch in time for the Xbox One X, but it’s delayed until spring next year. Scalebound, Fable Legends, and Ion were outright canceled, and Microsoft has shut down Project Spark. Even PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Microsoft’s “console launch exclusive,” won’t be available until December 12th.

Sony has God of War, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Detroit all on the way. Whether these are all native 4K or not, these are huge games and they make Microsoft’s lineup look paltry by comparison."

Funny how this broken record goes round and round...

Last edited:

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
PS4 Pro launched with a little over 30 games optimized or enhanced for the Pro. Xbox launched with over a hundred. The list is growing on the weekly basis. I don't see how "lack of stunning 4K games" is really a problem. The console has been on the market for a month and launched with 3x the titles enhanced versus PS4. It seems like Microsoft can never do enough to impress skeptics.

Sure, the are some excellent exclusives on the Playstation. There are excellent exclusives no the Xbox as well. Xbox is a little behind right now, but we still get gems like Forza 7, Halo Wars 2, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3. That's one aspect of gaming. The best way to experience non-exclusive games, like COD WWII or Wolfenstein II, is on the Xbox One X. They run in 4K natively and with spectacular HDR effects.

I suspect those with a bias toward Xbox have not tried the experience lately. Too bad, you're missing out. Again, Xbox fans don't care about who "won" the console war as we're too busy having a blast playing. Enjoy the console that best works for you and have fun. No need to argue about it. :)

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Sony didn't need to make a splash tbh as they are the market leader - If you are not and you launch a new product then you do need to make one - look at the Switch and Zelda as proof of how to do it....again its a game machine, launch with a flagship game that can't be had anywhere else - people bought a Switch just for Zelda and again and again the tech press reiterate this - (From Wired a month ago)

"The lack of Xbox One X enhanced games at launch mirrors the lack of compelling games on the Xbox One as a whole. When it all comes together — when HDR makes games as bright and as colourful as developers imagined them, when 4K resolution makes them pin sharp, when high frame rates make them wonderfully responsive — the Xbox One X is without doubt the best place to play. It has the power of the PC with little of the faff and killer controller. Even the user interface, once one of the most frustrating to use on a consumer device, has been pleasingly overhauled to be faster and to put games front and center.

Sony had its problems, but the ambition and quality of the games it showcased was never in doubt. The Last of Us 2, Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit: Become Human — these are games that sell systems. As good as Forza 7 is, the Xbox One doesn't yet have a single exclusive killer app, let alone enough to fill a press conference.

The Xbox One X is what the Xbox One should have been at launch: a well-designed practical console that, like the Xbox 360 before it, makes a generational leap in graphics. If it had been, perhaps Microsoft wouldn't find itself in the situation it's in now: a games company with a brilliant bit of hardware and so very little to play on it."

I think unless MS get some stellar exclusives out there soonish the next few years will just widen the gap.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Funny how this broken record goes round and round...

Agree - note title "Why do you think the PS4 won?"

PS4, not PS4 Pro....

PS4 win was easy - lower price, free games and streaming shows NOT behind a paywall, and no crazy DRM (at reveal at least).

I bought a PS4 right after the holidays because it was cheaper, and watching Netflix and Hulu didn't require a paid subscription to Sony, same with the Free to Play games, not behind a paywall like MS was doing at the time (MS required an Xbox Live Gold subscription to use these programs).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Agree - note title "Why do you think the PS4 won?"

PS4, not PS4 Pro....

PS4 win was easy - lower price, free games and streaming shows NOT behind a paywall, and no crazy DRM (at reveal at least).

I bought a PS4 right after the holidays because it was cheaper, and watching Netflix and Hulu didn't require a paid subscription to Sony, same with the Free to Play games, not behind a paywall like MS was doing at the time (MS required an Xbox Live Gold subscription to use these programs).

What free games on PlayStation? Because the free monthly games are ONLY included with and playable with an active PSN account that you’ve paid for, they are behind a paywall, in fact Microsoft mearly copies and bettered Sonys approach to free monthly games.

Reactions: iMi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.