Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I decided to give AT&T a try for the first time and I love the coverage, equivalent to VZW but I have to say.. the customer service sucks, the app sucks, taxes are higher than Verizon’s for some reason and it’s been a few months and I don’t have my FAN discount applied yet. Keep getting told “two to three” billing cycles and when it doesn’t show up, I keep getting told to re-enroll and let it run its course.

I am at that point now where I’m wanting to switch back to VZW as I never had these issues with them.. and the customer service was actually great. I always got what was promised.

Anyone have the same issues with AT&T?

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
The service is ok but yes the tech support sucks. :(

It took me 4 agents on live chat to get my sim transfer to a esim a while ago.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I decided to give AT&T a try for the first time and I love the coverage, equivalent to VZW but I have to say.. the customer service sucks, the app sucks, taxes are higher than Verizon’s for some reason and it’s been a few months and I don’t have my FAN discount applied yet. Keep getting told “two to three” billing cycles and when it doesn’t show up, I keep getting told to re-enroll and let it run its course.

I am at that point now where I’m wanting to switch back to VZW as I never had these issues with them.. and the customer service was actually great. I always got what was promised.

Nope been with AT&T for over 25 years.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

It really depends on where you are. There are also areas where AT&T is great and Verizon “sucks”.

Where I happen to live, Verizon is probably the worst of the three carriers in the area.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
The service is ok but yes the tech support sucks. :(

It took me 4 agents on live chat to get my sim transfer to a esim a while ago.

Yeah, even the “managers” over chat suck. I’ve chatted with a few and they were of no help at all. :\ such a shame.

Reactions: max2

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Because they can

Between AT&T’s forums, the BBB, and other sources, you can find a virtually unlimited number of complaints against AT&T. All the carriers are bad blah blah blah, you can’t make a right choice blah blah blah, but you can make a wrong choice, and there is one carrier that is worse than all the others.

And yet, millions of people still give money to that carrier, and also vote for people who won’t take action against that carrier. As long as AT&T can continue to get away with their actions, there is little reason for them to stop.

AT&T does have a good network, and some people think they are “special” and will never be a victim of AT&T’s fraudulent policies, but they all learn eventually.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Because they can

Between AT&T’s forums, the BBB, and other sources, you can find a virtually unlimited number of complaints against AT&T. All the carriers are bad blah blah blah, you can’t make a right choice blah blah blah, but you can make a wrong choice, and there is one carrier that is worse than all the others.

And yet, millions of people still give money to that carrier, and also vote for people who won’t take action against that carrier. As long as AT&T can continue to get away with their actions, there is little reason for them to stop.

AT&T does have a good network, and some people think they are “special” and will never be a victim of AT&T’s fraudulent policies, but they all learn eventually.
You know I’ve heard that a few years back and thought things were better now but I guess not.

Reactions: max2

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
All carriers suck

I’ve had good service though for over a decade and some good deals ($550 X on contract , $250 for a 128gb se2 with financing immediately paid off and unlocked, $199 iPhone 12 pro with trade in of iPhone 8)

can’t complain much / don’t wanna switch

Last edited:

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
Dealing(contacting/get ahold of/etc) with at&t since covid has become a royal pita. That aside, I don’t loathe them any MORE than any of the cellular providers i have had in the past.

Reactions: Lsmachado

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I’ve been with AT&T for 12 years and it’s been great for me. I’ve had horrible service with T-Mobile and Verizon before switching to AT&T so I’m sticking with them since I never have issues with their service in the 12 years I’ve been with them!

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I’ve been with them since they acquired Cingular wireless. No problems at all and I get a work discount.

We’ve been with them when they were first AT&T before the Cingular days.

Never had issues, mileage will vary.

Reactions: Peter K.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I’ve been with ATT for 20+ years and have never had an issue. Granted, I suppose it all depends on the rep you are working with, but if your issues aren’t resolved, ask to have it escalated.

Reactions: asleep

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It really depends on where you are. There are also areas where AT&T is great and Verizon “sucks”.

Where I happen to live, Verizon is probably the worst of the three carriers in the area.

This is how it’s always been. Location, location, location.

We have been with AT&T 25 years. Great coverage, no customer service complaints outside of a few FAN discount issues in the early 2000’s.

People really need to take the Pandemic into account with any customer service issues. They are all short staffed right now be it phone, cable, retail anything. We purchased a new washer and dryer over the summer from the top rated manufacturer. Had an issue with a sensor on the dryer 2 weeks ago. Customer service to find a Warranty Repair was an absolute nightmare. Hours on hold. Disconnect calls, people seemingly unfamiliar with the system in front of them.

It‘s way beyond just Cell Providers these day, and it’s going to get worse before it improves.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Where I live and work in Oklahoma, currently ATT coverage is best for me. For travel, whenever COVID allows it again, I keep a backup phone on a Verizon MVNO in case of emergency.

The last time I was directly with ATT Postpaid, I spent way too much time on customer support trying to get my iPad plan on the account to work right. Gave up on that, and am currently using the ATT network through another company.

Reactions: cwwilson

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I’ve found that they all have the same hit and miss customer service. It’s not like one has special people made in a factory to answer our smart ass complaining questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.