Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
This is how it’s always been. Location, location, location.

We have been with AT&T 25 years. Great coverage, no customer service complaints outside of a few FAN discount issues in the early 2000’s.

People really need to take the Pandemic into account with any customer service issues. They are all short staffed right now be it phone, cable, retail anything. We purchased a new washer and dryer over the summer from the top rated manufacturer. Had an issue with a sensor on the dryer 2 weeks ago. Customer service to find a Warranty Repair was an absolute nightmare. Hours on hold. Disconnect calls, people seemingly unfamiliar with the system in front of them.

It‘s way beyond just Cell Providers these day, and it’s going to get worse before it improves.

I bought and returned a Apple Watch from them, even with a return receipt they re-charged my card and it took almost 2 years for them to refund my 800. This was before the pandemic. Even tried a chargeback and it got denied.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
All carriers suck

Here are some reasons I am not a fan of AT&T:

1. I was on a grandfathered unlimited plan, but they did everything they could to get me off it. Kept increasing the prices, restricted features (no tethering), etc.

2. DirecTV was my favorite video supplier. Incredible service, great product. AT&T bought it and ruined it. Instead of senior service reps one got untrained and uninformed reps. The final blow was when the screensavers were changed to ads for pay-per-view. Fed up I dropped the service. Now that they have destroyed it they are trying to sell it. Paid ~$50 billion for it, looks as if they may get ~$15 billion. AT&T finances are in poor shape due to all of the acquisitions.

3. HBO was the exception to the industry in that it put quality over quantity. After the acquision AT&T Dismissed the best people in the division. The new philosophy is quantity over quality. They are just another streaming service now.

"Stankey and HBO boss Richard Plepler talked about the former's desire to produce more shows, even if it leads to poorer-quality content overall"

4. Both Verizon and AT&T made bad choices in their 5G spectrums. They emphasized the mmwave rather than the middle and low band spectrums. T-Mobile has far outdistanced them. They will likely never be able to close the gap with 5G.

I have had nothing but great experiences with T-Mobile support.

Philthy84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I can’t really complain about ATT much I’ve been with them since the original iPhone. Company I work for gives me 25% discount with them so that’s the main reason I stick around and the service is decent to great in our area. My only main issues are the activations fees but a phone call usually took care of that.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I bought and returned a Apple Watch from them, even with a return receipt they re-charged my card and it took almost 2 years for them to refund my 800. This was before the pandemic. Even tried a chargeback and it got denied.
2 years!? Now this is a reason to not like a company.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I decided to give AT&T a try for the first time and I love the coverage, equivalent to VZW but I have to say.. the customer service sucks, the app sucks, taxes are higher than Verizon’s for some reason and it’s been a few months and I don’t have my FAN discount applied yet. Keep getting told “two to three” billing cycles and when it doesn’t show up, I keep getting told to re-enroll and let it run its course.

I am at that point now where I’m wanting to switch back to VZW as I never had these issues with them.. and the customer service was actually great. I always got what was promised.

Anyone have the same issues with AT&T?

AT&T lost it's way under Randall Stephenson, I don't see them finding it again anytime soon.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
I decided to give AT&T a try for the first time and I love the coverage, equivalent to VZW but I have to say.. the customer service sucks, the app sucks, taxes are higher than Verizon’s for some reason and it’s been a few months and I don’t have my FAN discount applied yet. Keep getting told “two to three” billing cycles and when it doesn’t show up, I keep getting told to re-enroll and let it run its course.

I am at that point now where I’m wanting to switch back to VZW as I never had these issues with them.. and the customer service was actually great. I always got what was promised.

They are horrible said shortly. I've ranted for years about this. Catch me on the right day and I'll tell you all the idiotic things they do that gets them the well deserved title of straight garbage.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
As one example, It took 14 calls to get my phone to not show as anonymous to the person I was calling. Nobody would answer the phone when it was me and layer after layer of support at ATT could not resolve the issue.

if you are a new customer to DirecTV they love you and toss discounts at your feet. A loyal customer? Not so much.

A local phone line for $65 a month with long distance charges that looked like something from before the government busted up Ma Bell.

Almost 2 years after moving to T-Mobile and I’m still being hounded for a past due amount that I have two recorded chat sessions where the ATT rep agreed I did not owe the full amount being charged with both agreeing to reduce my balance due. Never happened and the ATT payment site would not accept less than full balance due.

I could go on.

ATT to T-Mobile. Much better customer service when needed.

DirecTV to Hulu Live. Much less expensive and all the TV I need or want.

Local phone? To be rid of ATT from my life completely made this an easy decision.

I will never send ATT another dime. I’d rather live without a cell phone and TV.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I live in a cellular black hole. So I'm stuck with AT&T. Their taxes and fees are off the chart. I miss T-Mobile but I don't see them having coverage for a long while yet as even Sprint doesn't work here either. Verizon is just as bad.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I had AT&T (and Cingular previously) for like almost two decades. Their support sucks. Their billing practices are somewhere between confusing and shady. Their prices aren't very good. They don't treat their existing customers very well. They do not care about retention one bit. They, like Verizon, Comcast, and many others know that they don't need to treat customers well to get or keep their business...and so they don't.

I went to T Mobile and haven't looked back. Better customer service including US reps during normal business hours for many services. Way better pricing. And I've won about $100 in free stuff from T Mobile Tuesdays. That said, if you live somewhere more remote, service is a hit or miss. It's great in my area but I live close to a city.

Reactions: SegNerd

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
every company is the same. They are great, when you don't have to make any changes or interact with them in anyway way, but when you do it's a terrible experience lol. We've had AT&T for years and started buying our phones out right so don't have to deal with them in anyway. This is the same for things like spectrum internet, they are terrible too when you have to contact them. So I got my own modem so I don't have to deal with them. Everything is perfect as I don't have to contact anyone lol. I imagine Verizon and T-mobile have the same issue.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
These companies, honestly much like apple have reached a point where they are too big to fail. They can literally straight up not answer questions or respond to issues and face no impunity. It’s a terrible truth.

artmakersworlds

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
Earth. Ur uh, Michigan
I am on AUTO PAY. So WHY do I have to get texts 1, when the bill is about due, 2, when the bill IS due, and 3, that the bill is paid? WHAT BRAIN DEAD MARKETING CLASS FLUNKE DECIDED THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Each time I am assured they will set my account to not do that. And then the very next morning I get woken up TO A TEXT TO TAKE SOME DUMB SURVEY ABOUT SUPPORT! And they get the lowest rating possible SINCE CLEARLY THEY FAILED AT THE TASK.

Today I get another one. I drop what I'm doing to run to the phone because everyone who knows me knows I DO NOT DO TEXTS.... unless it's something important. OR spam, but at least spam I can block and report, (being on the do not call list.) But no. USELESS ATT again telling me my AUTO PAY BILL IS ABOUT TO BE TAKEN! I cannot block them, oh no.

The last round with them I was so miffed, (while rotting on hold for over a half hour I started surfing for other companies.) Sprint, Straight talk, AND T-mobile ALL HAVE WAYS OF REACHING A HUMAN. I was chatting with them before MY company even picked up the phone. Unfortunately they either require a newer phone than what I have OR..... more common, my little rural bubble I live in just doesn't have coverage. The ONLY good thing about ATT is I don't have to drive miles from my house to use the phone. Still on a good day I only get 2 bars. I actually tried clicking the link to ATT in their text but the web page will not load on my phone.

For a "telecommunications company" their lack of any real customer support, NO email address to write to, NO live chat (auto bots are NOT LIVE.) And if you dance around with their phone number long enough to get to a human they will guaranteed have such a thick INDIAN accent it's virtually impossible to understand each other.

I really wish we had federal laws in this country that if you run a SERVICE business, you MUST PROVIDE REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. Yea I can wish right? Service is a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

I left Verizon 2 months ago to join Att things been great service is top notch

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

If you think Verizon support is better, well, they are as bad as every other carrier. I have been trying to get the names corrected on the PDF bill, and each time I speak with support, the morons refer to the device nick names which has nothing to do the with the printed PDF bills. Most reps dont even know their systems and is unable to help, so my PDF bills are still a mess, unfortunatelly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.